Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Look at their squads and then compare ours 10:14 - Jul 23 with 15151 viewsChrisd

Appreciate they will lose some of their players, but when you look at Hull City, Wigan and Charlton now you can argue all three of those sides have squads that are far superior to ours from last season and they all amassed points totals in the mid to high 40s, not a paltry 31 and well adrift of safety. So once again, why did we feel that our squad was too good for L1? I think Joe, posted a thread about our current squad positionally, it highlighted that we have areas of the pitch that lacks: experience, proven quality and depth. It will be even harder this coming season too.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 10:26 - Jul 23 with 7184 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Because we signed a number of the best players from or courted by other League One sides (Holy, Norwood, Garbutt - from Everton but on loan at Oxford the season before) and even our most maligned players like Nolan, Edwards and Nsiala have very good pedigree in this division

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 10:28 - Jul 23 with 7173 viewshadleighboyblue

I think our midfield would be very weak physically if we lose Downes .

The whole squad needs to toughen up and show more fight than they showed in the last 2 seasons and the manager & coaches need to get much better tactically
Look at their squads and then compare ours on 10:38 - Jul 23 with 7136 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I think the squad was good enough, the manager wasnt.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 10:39 - Jul 23 with 7137 viewsJammyDodgerrr

I really don't think the league will be stronger anyway. Hull and Charlton are dire and in horrible shape ownership wise. Wigan will be strong but probably only if they keep Cook. That team will also get pulled apart. We have, in theory, a team assembled of some of the best young talent and players with a proven pedigree in league one. it should've been too good and still would be this year.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 11:09 - Jul 23 with 7066 viewsChrisd

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 10:39 - Jul 23 by JammyDodgerrr

I really don't think the league will be stronger anyway. Hull and Charlton are dire and in horrible shape ownership wise. Wigan will be strong but probably only if they keep Cook. That team will also get pulled apart. We have, in theory, a team assembled of some of the best young talent and players with a proven pedigree in league one. it should've been too good and still would be this year.

This is my point exactly, we came down with 31 points!! So with you saying Charlton and Hull are both dire, Christ knows what people thought of us then when we arrived in L1, an embarrassment?! Yes, PL certainly didn't help matters with his endless rotating and change of formation , but it also shows that perhaps we, as Town fans, believe our side is far better than what it actually is?

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 11:13 - Jul 23 with 7042 viewsbournemouthblue

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 10:38 - Jul 23 by Marshalls_Mullet

I think the squad was good enough, the manager wasnt.

I'm not so convinced myself, I think we lacked physicality down the spine of the side

That's something Rotherham had but we certainly didn't

We were fairly average before KVY came in and once he was injured, we went back to being average

If we don't make some smart signings this transfer window, we'll have another disappointing season

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 11:13 - Jul 23 with 7043 viewsclive_baker

Wycombe fans probably said the same about us last season. If you're a basket case of a club it doesn't matter what players you've got. Yes on paper they're probably strong, but like us last season, unless you're well managed and have a coherent system and a drive to work hard and deliver results, you're destined for mediocrity at best, regardless of the level. The gulf in quality isn't that material that any of those sides will coast promotion next season.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 11:15 - Jul 23 with 7030 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 11:09 - Jul 23 by Chrisd

This is my point exactly, we came down with 31 points!! So with you saying Charlton and Hull are both dire, Christ knows what people thought of us then when we arrived in L1, an embarrassment?! Yes, PL certainly didn't help matters with his endless rotating and change of formation , but it also shows that perhaps we, as Town fans, believe our side is far better than what it actually is?

You are aware that Hull have so many points due to the first half of the season, before they sold their key players, yes? Since 1 January they won 6 points from 20 games and were thrashed regularly (including 8-0 by Wigan) - that’s far worse than even we were at any point in 2018/19. They’re an absolute shambles

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Login to get fewer ads

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 11:16 - Jul 23 with 7023 viewsHerbivore

Might be better to see what squad they end up with in a League 1 rather than what squad they have now. We lost Bart but strengthened in other areas and arguably had a more balanced squad going into the start of the season than we'd had in the Championship. The fact that pretty much all of our rivals saw us as having one of the strongest squads and being genuine promotion contenders would suggest that it's not a case of Town fans thinking we were better than we actually were. Quality wise, top 6 should have been our minimum expectation and we should really have been in contention for the top 2. That we weren't is down to an incompetent manager.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 11:23 - Jul 23 with 6984 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Hull won one game in about 20. Even Town managed three wins in the second half of the 18/19 season.

They are desperately bad, worse than we were.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 11:27 - Jul 23 with 6970 viewsChrisd

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 11:13 - Jul 23 by bournemouthblue

I'm not so convinced myself, I think we lacked physicality down the spine of the side

We were fairly average before KVY came in and once he was injured, we went back to being average

If we don't make some smart signings this transfer window, we'll have another disappointing season

I'm inclined to have the same line of thinking as you Bournemoutblue. I certainly feel we have some very decent players within our starting XI, but this concept our squad was too good for L1 I still find bizarre. When you go through it, there's a lot that are average L1 players and in some cases that's being overly generous.

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 11:37 - Jul 23 with 6916 viewsthatdamgood89

Fans from Sunderland Posh etc would have said the exact same thing about us.

I really feel while we have to acknowledge teams coming down as tough we must maintain our 'we are one of the biggest teams' at this level belief. We are and we should always be within the top 4.

The alternative way of thinking is the fast track to seeing us 11th in League 1 every season.

Hey :) Please check out my Ipswich Town F.C podcast 'Talk Of The Town' https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPhPy_79sSvPSugh32vN8qg?view_as=subscriber Available every Wednesday on; YouTube Spotify Buzzsrpout Google Podcasts Itune Podcasts

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 11:41 - Jul 23 with 6890 viewsBloomBlue

Are Charlton that strong? Already talk of the couple of good players they have leaving including Lockyer their best defender this season and rumour is he can leave for free because of a relegation clause he has in his contract
Look at their squads and then compare ours on 11:44 - Jul 23 with 6864 viewsthatdamgood89

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 11:41 - Jul 23 by BloomBlue

Are Charlton that strong? Already talk of the couple of good players they have leaving including Lockyer their best defender this season and rumour is he can leave for free because of a relegation clause he has in his contract

Charlton are still nder an embargo so bringing players in may prove difficult

Hey :) Please check out my Ipswich Town F.C podcast 'Talk Of The Town' https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPhPy_79sSvPSugh32vN8qg?view_as=subscriber Available every Wednesday on; YouTube Spotify Buzzsrpout Google Podcasts Itune Podcasts

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 11:45 - Jul 23 with 6851 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Our squad was good enough to finish in the play offs, certainly room for improvement though.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 12:01 - Jul 23 with 6793 viewsIpswichKnight

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 11:27 - Jul 23 by Chrisd

I'm inclined to have the same line of thinking as you Bournemoutblue. I certainly feel we have some very decent players within our starting XI, but this concept our squad was too good for L1 I still find bizarre. When you go through it, there's a lot that are average L1 players and in some cases that's being overly generous.

Same here as well, we can put out a very good first XI but even that is not hugely physical side. I noticed other sides are quick to foot in a bit and try to rough us up and we are not streetwise to that or to any other antics. When one of our lot puts in a strong tackle you see the opposition surround the ref baying for a red card when it happens to us we look around hoping that the ref might be kind enough to perhaps consider a free kick if it's not too much bother.
Look at their squads and then compare ours on 12:07 - Jul 23 with 6772 viewsWallingford_Boy

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 11:45 - Jul 23 by Marshalls_Mullet

Our squad was good enough to finish in the play offs, certainly room for improvement though.

Hull, Charlton, Wigan, Peterborough, Oxford, Portsmouth, Fleetwood, Sunderland....

We'll struggle to get near the play-offs next season IMO.

RIP Sir Bobby

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 12:25 - Jul 23 with 6724 viewsRobTheMonk

I think we need more energy in centre mid. Downes provides it. Huws has never been the same since his injury, Skuse is aging, Dozzell is more of a architect, Bishop provides it but then his body gives up, Nolan can provide it but plays safe and Judge had a mare of a season.

Downes - Potentially going to go but our best player in midfield at present.
Huws - If we can get him back to pre-injury Huws then good.
Skuse - His powers are not what they once were. Good backup squad player at this level.
Dozzell - I think he needs to up other bits of his game. Obviously a talented player, but needs more energy.
Bishop - Quality if fully fit. Rarely fully fit.
Nolan - I have a love hate with Nolan. He's a neat and tidy player but a bit of a nasty tackle in him. A bit of a sideways shuffler, but has the ability to be much more.
Judge - Did not really impress me at all last season. His first touch was more often than not taking him away from goal. Needs to get confidence back.
Look at their squads and then compare ours on 12:25 - Jul 23 with 6718 viewsPJH

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 10:26 - Jul 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Because we signed a number of the best players from or courted by other League One sides (Holy, Norwood, Garbutt - from Everton but on loan at Oxford the season before) and even our most maligned players like Nolan, Edwards and Nsiala have very good pedigree in this division

Yes, my view that the squad that we had throughout 2019/20 was good enough to finish in the top two has not changed and will not change.

In my opinion our stay in League One should have only been for one season-and we should have gone back out of it through the top end.

Of course we should have made a far better effort at staying in The Championship in the first place.
Look at their squads and then compare ours on 12:42 - Jul 23 with 6678 viewsTieDyedIn95

I agree 100% and in my view and we won't likely make any significant signings. The fact we've handed Wilson a first team squad number instead of releasing him says everything about the clubs ambitions for this season to me. Wilson is a classic Evans era player, another player having signed someone last minute as makeshift cover because we hadn't got our act together months sooner and had to grab whoever was available, and then because we have no intention of improving the squad he's being kept on because, why try, it costs money to try and recruit better.

I hope they prove me wrong but as-is our squad is bang average in the third division with a manager who is holding onto his last job in football. Any decent man would have resigned after that outcome. He's a joke.

We won't lose as much money though - which will please the clubs leadership.

Wigan should cruise the league given that they finished as a mid-table Championship side this season prior to the points deduction and assuming they keep the bulk of it together and Charlton are well set up to bounce back. Hull would be the one of those three who will probably be lucky to make playoffs given their surrender this season.

We're not going to make the Playoffs are we? Does anyone believe that squad can still take us up? We have a squad of injured midfielders!

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 12:43 - Jul 23 with 6671 viewsclive_baker

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 12:25 - Jul 23 by RobTheMonk

I think we need more energy in centre mid. Downes provides it. Huws has never been the same since his injury, Skuse is aging, Dozzell is more of a architect, Bishop provides it but then his body gives up, Nolan can provide it but plays safe and Judge had a mare of a season.

Downes - Potentially going to go but our best player in midfield at present.
Huws - If we can get him back to pre-injury Huws then good.
Skuse - His powers are not what they once were. Good backup squad player at this level.
Dozzell - I think he needs to up other bits of his game. Obviously a talented player, but needs more energy.
Bishop - Quality if fully fit. Rarely fully fit.
Nolan - I have a love hate with Nolan. He's a neat and tidy player but a bit of a nasty tackle in him. A bit of a sideways shuffler, but has the ability to be much more.
Judge - Did not really impress me at all last season. His first touch was more often than not taking him away from goal. Needs to get confidence back.

Definitely agree about energy. We looked so slow last season both in and out of possession. Pedestrian. Ultimately we were very easy to play against, that was the issue. I really like Huws but since his injuries he's looked like he's running on sand, and Skuse / Judge aren't getting any younger. There's a role for them, but I would love to see a lot more dynamism in there and energy, it can't all be left to Downes. We need to be busy, in their faces and horrible to play against. Flank Downes with 2 busier central midfielders and and adopt a much quicker press. With KYV and Kenlock at FB, and a combination of Norwood, Jackson, Lankester and Sears wide / further forward we're not short of energy elsewhere.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 12:56 - Jul 23 with 6630 viewsIllinoisblue

The sky is falling! Again.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 13:05 - Jul 23 with 6605 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

I don't think the league will be stronger this year.

Delighted teams such as Rotherham / Wycombe have gone. They are teams we struggled significantly against, bullied us out of games.

Interesting to see how Fleetwood/Oxford bounce back after play-off heartbreak.

I think Wigan will be the strong outfit, don't really fear Hull and Charlton though.

Our squad needs additions in certain areas no doubt.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2020 13:23]

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 13:12 - Jul 23 with 6580 viewsGarv

Everyone always thinks a squad going down is good enough for the league below, it often isn't.

Our squad is incredibly overrated.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 13:27 - Jul 23 with 6514 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Look at their squads and then compare ours on 13:12 - Jul 23 by Garv

Everyone always thinks a squad going down is good enough for the league below, it often isn't.

Our squad is incredibly overrated.

Our squad last was incredibly overrated. I think the attacking additions of Lankester, El Mizouni, Dobra, Bishop add a lot in the final third.

Still need the additions of a left-back and centre-back.

Central areas are flooded already.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024