Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are the fixtures always completely random? 14:12 - Jul 23 with 2316 viewsJ2BLUE

I don't mean things like ensuring teams don't play at home on the same day in the same area or clubs who need to start with a few away games due to stadium improvements etc but once that has all been taken into account are they truly random or do they ever pick and choose games they would like to take place at a certain time?

I can't imagine Leeds returning to the big time with an away game at Burnley on the opening weekend. Much bigger and more marketable stories would be:

Man City - master vs apprentice
Liverpool - champions vs champions
Man U - old rivalry

I assume I just have too much time on my hands..

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Are the fixtures always completely random? on 14:17 - Jul 23 with 2297 viewsKeno

I have often mused over that

Do you remember a few years ago someone who posted on here with connections to a either the FA or Sky posted a couple of FA cup draws a couple of hours before then happened.

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Are the fixtures always completely random? on 14:25 - Jul 23 with 2254 viewsRocky

Are the fixtures always completely random? on 14:17 - Jul 23 by Keno

I have often mused over that

Do you remember a few years ago someone who posted on here with connections to a either the FA or Sky posted a couple of FA cup draws a couple of hours before then happened.

Was it the draw for the semi-finals?
Are the fixtures always completely random? on 14:33 - Jul 23 with 2242 viewsGeoffSentence

There are loads of considerations which mean they are not truly random.

Have a look at this from the BBC and you will see how Dagenham and Redbridge's fixtures indirectly affect ours

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulfletcher/2009/06/secrets_of_the_fixture_compute.

Edit: The actual considerations may have changed now as that is 11 years old, but it gives a flavour of how much goes into it.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2020 14:35]

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Are the fixtures always completely random? on 14:36 - Jul 23 with 2229 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Are the fixtures always completely random? on 14:25 - Jul 23 by Rocky

The Final.

Fair play to them. They got it absolutely perfect.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Are the fixtures always completely random? on 14:50 - Jul 23 with 2196 viewsKeno

Are the fixtures always completely random? on 14:25 - Jul 23 by Rocky

No

certainly quarter final and I think the round before

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Are the fixtures always completely random? on 15:29 - Jul 23 with 2153 viewsjaykay

easter, christmas and new year were always done so clubs didn't travel far.
don't know if that has changed

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Are the fixtures always completely random? on 16:32 - Jul 23 with 2104 viewsITFC_Forever

There's geographical considerations to consider - for example, the two Sheffield clubs won't be at home on the same day.

Clubs can also stipulate certain dates they would want play away (eg; QPR are never at home when the Notting Hill Carnival is on).

And I'm sure the League deliberately (at the clubs request) arranged long-distance away games for midweek, and kept the local ones as Saturdays - the theory being more away fans will travel locally at the weekend than they would midweek.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Are the fixtures always completely random? on 16:49 - Jul 23 with 2070 viewsOldsmoker

Are the fixtures always completely random? on 16:32 - Jul 23 by ITFC_Forever

There's geographical considerations to consider - for example, the two Sheffield clubs won't be at home on the same day.

Clubs can also stipulate certain dates they would want play away (eg; QPR are never at home when the Notting Hill Carnival is on).

And I'm sure the League deliberately (at the clubs request) arranged long-distance away games for midweek, and kept the local ones as Saturdays - the theory being more away fans will travel locally at the weekend than they would midweek.

I can't imagine any team wanting Barnsley away on a cold and wet October tuesday night. Most clubs who play that fixture do seem to be from the south which gives Barnsley an advantage - southern softies and all that.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Login to get fewer ads

Are the fixtures always completely random? on 16:52 - Jul 23 with 2055 viewsElderGrizzly

Are the fixtures always completely random? on 16:32 - Jul 23 by ITFC_Forever

Clubs can definitely 'request' certain fixtures around certain dates too.

I don't think there is very much randomness left once all the various requests and restrictions are built in from clubs, EFL, police etc
Are the fixtures always completely random? on 16:56 - Jul 23 with 2036 viewsITFC_Forever

Are the fixtures always completely random? on 16:52 - Jul 23 by ElderGrizzly

Clubs can definitely 'request' certain fixtures around certain dates too.

I don't think there is very much randomness left once all the various requests and restrictions are built in from clubs, EFL, police etc

Exactly what I said in my second paragraph....!

Are the fixtures always completely random? on 16:58 - Jul 23 with 2031 viewsITFC_Forever

Are the fixtures always completely random? on 16:49 - Jul 23 by Oldsmoker

I can't imagine any team wanting Barnsley away on a cold and wet October tuesday night. Most clubs who play that fixture do seem to be from the south which gives Barnsley an advantage - southern softies and all that.

The logic is that there would be more travelling fans in total if a nearby game was a Saturday and a long distance one was midweek, rather than the other way round.

That logic doesn't however follow given that we had MK Dons midweek last season - it might be that the League stopped doing it.

Are the fixtures always completely random? on 17:04 - Jul 23 with 2015 viewsfactual_blue

I don't think there's much tinkering other than with the obvious clashes on a geographical basis.

The Premier League don't care about teeing up games on specific days; they've sold all the games anyway.

Producing the sort of narratives you describe is entirely down to sky.

Which brings this to mind...

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Are the fixtures always completely random? on 17:17 - Jul 23 with 1989 viewsEwan_Oozami

Are the fixtures always completely random? on 14:33 - Jul 23 by GeoffSentence

There are loads of considerations which mean they are not truly random.

Have a look at this from the BBC and you will see how Dagenham and Redbridge's fixtures indirectly affect ours

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulfletcher/2009/06/secrets_of_the_fixture_compute.

Edit: The actual considerations may have changed now as that is 11 years old, but it gives a flavour of how much goes into it.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2020 14:35]

If that is the still the way that the fixtures are sorted nowadays then I'm flabbergasted!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Are the fixtures always completely random? on 18:26 - Jul 23 with 1932 viewspatrickswell

I’m sure I read somewhere that they also try never to schedule local derbies on the first or last round of fixtures.
Are the fixtures always completely random? on 10:01 - Aug 20 with 1135 viewsJ2BLUE

Liverpool vs Leeds on the opening day. Not that it proves anything but i'm not surprised. I was going to have a small bet on them getting United, City or Liverpool on the opening day but I didn't know the fixtures were out today so didn't get the bet on.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024