Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next season going to be an utter slog 15:55 - Jul 24 with 3057 viewsitfcjoe

34 week season
46 League games
3 EFL Trophy games at least
1 FA Cup game at least
1 League Cup game at least (although likely will be the week before season)

Means there are (at least) 16 games to fit across 33 midweeks.

And that is before you consider international breaks.

We have a big enough squad to cope, but the size of the squad was the issue last season with how much we over rotated.

Going to be a very strange season for all involved, lots of opportunities for youngsters.

Whoever has the best fitness coaches this seaosn will be having an advantage

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Next season going to be an utter slog on 16:01 - Jul 24 with 2688 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

You never know. It may actually work in our favour.

I wonder how say Wycombe would fair with a small squad and limited rotation in a schedule like that.

Knowing our luck we will all be moaning about Lambert's lack of rotating this season lol.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Next season going to be an utter slog on 16:06 - Jul 24 with 2657 viewsIllinoisblue

Ruh Roh, nobody mention rotation

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Next season going to be an utter slog on 16:07 - Jul 24 with 2664 viewsOldsmoker

Next season going to be an utter slog on 16:01 - Jul 24 by WarkTheWarkITFC

You never know. It may actually work in our favour.

I wonder how say Wycombe would fair with a small squad and limited rotation in a schedule like that.

Knowing our luck we will all be moaning about Lambert's lack of rotating this season lol.

Looking at my posts from last December, when we had started to lose games, I said our large squad would result in us re-climbing the table as other teams suffered from injuries and exhaustion.
I was soooo wrong.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Next season going to be an utter slog on 16:08 - Jul 24 with 2663 viewsPhilTWTD

The rotation issue is bound to be the most talked about thing if results don't go to plan. There's definitely going to have to be regular rotation given that sort of schedule.
Next season going to be an utter slog on 16:11 - Jul 24 with 2640 viewsPhilTWTD

Next season going to be an utter slog on 16:07 - Jul 24 by Oldsmoker

Looking at my posts from last December, when we had started to lose games, I said our large squad would result in us re-climbing the table as other teams suffered from injuries and exhaustion.
I was soooo wrong.

That was the plan, that our players would have played, say, 30-something matches when other clubs' players would have played 40-odd in the closing stages. No way of telling whether that theory would have come off due to the curtailed season. That said, we were in relegation form and plummeting so I doubt it.
Next season going to be an utter slog on 16:12 - Jul 24 with 2611 viewsElderGrizzly

Fitness you say? Well we are f*cked then...
Next season going to be an utter slog on 16:14 - Jul 24 with 2602 viewsOldsmoker

Next season going to be an utter slog on 16:11 - Jul 24 by PhilTWTD

That was the plan, that our players would have played, say, 30-something matches when other clubs' players would have played 40-odd in the closing stages. No way of telling whether that theory would have come off due to the curtailed season. That said, we were in relegation form and plummeting so I doubt it.

The best laid plans of mice and men...

...and we turned out to be mice.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Next season going to be an utter slog on 16:24 - Jul 24 with 2566 viewsitfcjoe

Next season going to be an utter slog on 16:11 - Jul 24 by PhilTWTD

We needed basically 6-7 wins from 8 to get in play offs so wasn't going to happen

Had we picked up 10-12 points from the preceeding 9 games rather than 4 we'd have been feeling confident

Login to get fewer ads

Next season going to be an utter slog on 16:24 - Jul 24 with 2563 viewsclive_baker

Without wanting to sound to callous or opportunistic about it, it should benefit us as one of the more advanced clubs in the division. We've got a younger than average squad, of technically able but largely wet behind the ears youngsters, who should favour playing behind closed doors rather than up close and personal at a Fratton Park or Memorial Stadium. We've got a big enough squad to be able to rotate and we've got deeper pockets than many to rebuff advances for certain players and invest in the medical team required.

A lot of the variables that often prove to be levellers are out of the equation.

Shame we've still got Lambert though.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Next season going to be an utter slog on 16:25 - Jul 24 with 2549 viewsITFC_Forever

If we had a pattern of play, a steady formation and an identity, then rotation should be less of an issue.

All players in the squad would know it and it would be easier to slip players in and out.

Rather than lurching from one match to the next throwing everything up in the air tactics wise all the bloody time.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Next season going to be an utter slog on 16:25 - Jul 24 with 2554 viewsPhilTWTD

Next season going to be an utter slog on 16:24 - Jul 24 by itfcjoe

We needed basically 6-7 wins from 8 to get in play offs so wasn't going to happen

Had we picked up 10-12 points from the preceeding 9 games rather than 4 we'd have been feeling confident

Agree, we'd left ourselves too much to do even if there had been an upturn due to the squad's greater fitness.
Next season going to be an utter slog on 16:29 - Jul 24 with 2532 viewsitfcjoe

Next season going to be an utter slog on 16:24 - Jul 24 by clive_baker

Without wanting to sound to callous or opportunistic about it, it should benefit us as one of the more advanced clubs in the division. We've got a younger than average squad, of technically able but largely wet behind the ears youngsters, who should favour playing behind closed doors rather than up close and personal at a Fratton Park or Memorial Stadium. We've got a big enough squad to be able to rotate and we've got deeper pockets than many to rebuff advances for certain players and invest in the medical team required.

A lot of the variables that often prove to be levellers are out of the equation.

We've also got a Cat 2 academy and an U23 squad so have far more strength in depth just looking on that side - without a Cat 2 academy club will just have a first team and U18s

We've got 19 players between that which will be more than anyone else in this division

Next season going to be an utter slog on 16:32 - Jul 24 with 2502 viewsclive_baker

Next season going to be an utter slog on 16:29 - Jul 24 by itfcjoe

We've also got a Cat 2 academy and an U23 squad so have far more strength in depth just looking on that side - without a Cat 2 academy club will just have a first team and U18s

We've got 19 players between that which will be more than anyone else in this division

100%.

On reflection, I'm not sure my comment about younger than average stands up to stats, but I mean we have a real plethora of talented young players. The behind closed doors games lend themselves more to technical ability and less to the streetwise old guard that provoke a reaction and get fans onside etc. Your Bishop, Dobra and Dozzells really should thrive in what is closer to a training ground environment than ever before.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Next season going to be an utter slog on 16:34 - Jul 24 with 2481 viewsIllinoisblue

Next season going to be an utter slog on 16:29 - Jul 24 by itfcjoe

And still we’ll finish below the mighty Fleetwood Town

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Next season going to be an utter slog on 16:47 - Jul 24 with 2407 viewsvapour_trail

Three times you’ve written ‘at least’ there Joe, where you could have saved yourself the effort!

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Next season going to be an utter slog on 17:06 - Jul 24 with 2356 viewsSomethingBlue

Absolutely agree with this re levellers. We need to capitalise and get off to as quick a start as last time.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Next season going to be an utter slog on 17:06 - Jul 24 with 2351 viewsDarth_Koont

With a bit of luck, they might use the EFL games to get players up to speed for involvement in the league campaign.

Last season the EFL games seemed to be very much about a B team barring a couple of first-teamers coming back from injury.

But you're right, the volume of games doesn't bode well for a team (and squad) that hasn't really gelled in over two years and under normal conditions.

Pronouns: He/Him

Next season going to be an utter slog on 17:08 - Jul 24 with 2332 viewsDarth_Koont

Good points. I hadn't really thought about it that way.

Pronouns: He/Him

Next season going to be an utter slog on 17:30 - Jul 24 with 2246 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Looking forward to it.

Its the same for everyone, and we are better resourced than most.

So bring it on.

Mr Lambert if you are listening..... dont start on a negative by using the number of fixtures as an excuse. Its not an issue.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Next season going to be an utter slog on 18:20 - Jul 24 with 2131 viewsShawsey

Tough season that. Keeping key players seems to be our problem in previous years, so think the squad will be used, probably more than last season. Hope the kids do better than our established L1 players did. If they play 1 system, it would help all involved. Rotation and change of system just equals confusion.
Next season going to be an utter slog on 18:43 - Jul 24 with 2080 viewsBlueBadger

Next season going to be an utter slog on 17:06 - Jul 24 by SomethingBlue

Absolutely agree with this re levellers. We need to capitalise and get off to as quick a start as last time.

I'm confused, how is a veteran folk-punk band from Brighton going to help us?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Next season going to be an utter slog on 22:21 - Jul 24 with 1861 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Next season going to be an utter slog on 16:08 - Jul 24 by PhilTWTD

The rotation issue is bound to be the most talked about thing if results don't go to plan. There's definitely going to have to be regular rotation given that sort of schedule.

Play as close to same team as possible for the league games. Play under 23s in the Cups. We have to up next season, if we are going nowhere by the start of December a change should be made.

I think we will have a stronger squad with Dobra and Lancaster in it but I've little confidence in Lambert to get them playing consistently well. I hope I'm wrong.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Next season going to be an utter slog on 22:34 - Jul 24 with 1838 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

GK - Holy/Another
RB - KVY/Donacien
CB - Chambers/Woolfenden/Wilson/Nsiala
LB - Kenlock/Nydam/Another
CM - Skuse/Downes/Huws/Nolan/Dozzell/McGavin
CAM - Bishop/El Mizouni/Judge
LM - Dobra/Sears
RM - Lankester/Edwards
ST - Norwood/Jackson

That’s 26 players that, it’s a flooded squad already so in terms of league matches there is no issue really. If that core group stays fit, and the right selection is made, it is a very good L1 squad.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Next season going to be an utter slog on 00:09 - Jul 25 with 1738 viewsTheBoyBlue

Is the EFL Trophy still happening? Was hoping that they would get rid of that waste of space imposter of a competition from an already crowded calendar.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Next season going to be an utter slog on 08:24 - Jul 25 with 1576 viewsITFC_Forever

Next season going to be an utter slog on 18:43 - Jul 24 by BlueBadger

I'm confused, how is a veteran folk-punk band from Brighton going to help us?

Because they’re the best band of all time and their songs are as relevant now as they were in the early 90s, if not more so.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024