Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera 17:35 - Jul 25 with 2879 viewsbluelagos

One of those bullet ones you can stick on your helmet? Must have 7 to 8 hours battery life. Not looking to make or edit clips - is just in case of an accident (think dash cam for the car)

Cheers

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 17:42 - Jul 25 with 2858 viewsjeera

A camera for a pushbike that has long battery life.

So, maybe some kind of dynamo?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 17:45 - Jul 25 with 2842 viewsbluelagos

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 17:42 - Jul 25 by jeera

A camera for a pushbike that has long battery life.

So, maybe some kind of dynamo?

Are they stealth ones? Will have a google. Cheers

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 17:46 - Jul 25 with 2838 viewsjeera

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 17:45 - Jul 25 by bluelagos

Are they stealth ones? Will have a google. Cheers

What? I didn't say they existed.

I was just trying to be clever.

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 17:48 - Jul 25 with 2833 viewsbluelagos

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 17:46 - Jul 25 by jeera

https://www.amazon.in/Dynamo-Steel-Wrist-Watch-Camera/dp/B07QC27SNN

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 17:50 - Jul 25 with 2827 viewsbluelagos

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 17:46 - Jul 25 by jeera

You should get on Dragon's Den Jeera. A camera / light that self charges from a dynamo - small enough to keep the wind resistance low - you could be a millionaire soon enough :-)

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 17:55 - Jul 25 with 2813 viewsstonojnr

I wouldnt recommend a helmet cam, purely from the pov that if you did come off your bike in an accident, the camera than becomes a blunt 200g lump of plastic that your cycle helmet isnt designed to prevent getting pushed in towards your skull.

its much better IMO to have them mounted on handlebars,but expect to pay minimum 200quid for a decent video quality camera, be that GoPro,Cycliq or Garmin Virb
Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 18:03 - Jul 25 with 2805 viewsbluelagos

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 17:55 - Jul 25 by stonojnr

I wouldnt recommend a helmet cam, purely from the pov that if you did come off your bike in an accident, the camera than becomes a blunt 200g lump of plastic that your cycle helmet isnt designed to prevent getting pushed in towards your skull.

its much better IMO to have them mounted on handlebars,but expect to pay minimum 200quid for a decent video quality camera, be that GoPro,Cycliq or Garmin Virb

I know motorbikers who won't mount a camera on their helmet for that reason. My thought has always been that if you are landing on the top of your head when coming off a motorbike, you are pretty fcked anyway.

Will check em out - and read up on the safety for positioning them, thx.

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 18:31 - Jul 25 with 2783 viewsjeera

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 17:50 - Jul 25 by bluelagos

You should get on Dragon's Den Jeera. A camera / light that self charges from a dynamo - small enough to keep the wind resistance low - you could be a millionaire soon enough :-)

This time next year Rodders.

Login to get fewer ads

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 18:33 - Jul 25 with 2782 viewsbluelagos

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 18:31 - Jul 25 by jeera

This time next year Rodders.

I want my 10% commission :-)

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 18:50 - Jul 25 with 2767 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Any idea what the most common cycling accident is?

Struck me the a rear facing cam might be useful?... are cars overtaking the main danger?
[Post edited 25 Jul 2020 18:51]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 18:57 - Jul 25 with 2747 viewsbluelagos

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 18:50 - Jul 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

Any idea what the most common cycling accident is?

Struck me the a rear facing cam might be useful?... are cars overtaking the main danger?
[Post edited 25 Jul 2020 18:51]

Falling over at junctions is quite common

No idea tbh. It's more just in case some bellend takes you out then tries to blame you. Also works as a deterrent for the angry motorist who wants a fight but is less aggressive when he knows he is being filmed. (Got threatened a few weeks ago by some loon)

Interestingly some cyclists argue for a presumption of fault to be with the motorist which seems very sensible imho. Am yet to see how an impatient overtaker (90% of near misses that I now see) can be anyone's fault other than the over taker...Make that law and you might see more patience from other road users?

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 19:02 - Jul 25 with 2742 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 18:57 - Jul 25 by bluelagos

Falling over at junctions is quite common

No idea tbh. It's more just in case some bellend takes you out then tries to blame you. Also works as a deterrent for the angry motorist who wants a fight but is less aggressive when he knows he is being filmed. (Got threatened a few weeks ago by some loon)

Interestingly some cyclists argue for a presumption of fault to be with the motorist which seems very sensible imho. Am yet to see how an impatient overtaker (90% of near misses that I now see) can be anyone's fault other than the over taker...Make that law and you might see more patience from other road users?

Must admit, have got stuck behind some cyclists on a single track road where there is not space to overtake. Some insist that you follow them at 20mph for miles.

I cycle, so I don't overtake unless safe, but I would also pull over and let a motorist pass in the same situation.

I do think some cyclists don't help themselves.
[Post edited 25 Jul 2020 19:08]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 19:08 - Jul 25 with 2738 viewsbluelagos

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 19:02 - Jul 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

Must admit, have got stuck behind some cyclists on a single track road where there is not space to overtake. Some insist that you follow them at 20mph for miles.

I cycle, so I don't overtake unless safe, but I would also pull over and let a motorist pass in the same situation.

When you are clipped in, it's not always easy to just pull over. Also if you are on racing tyres, it's not sensible to pull over to the gravelly bits at the side. Punctures are a pain in the arse too so best to keep out of them.

But yeah, if it's easy and safe to pull over, I will. But sometimes I carry on for a while til I find that spot, which can irritate people. 4x4s drivers have a particular sense of entitlement in my experience ;-)

But such is life :-)

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 19:31 - Jul 25 with 2705 viewsSwansea_Blue

Maybe something like this, or would that be overkill?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 20:17 - Jul 25 with 2676 viewsronnyd

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 19:02 - Jul 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

Quite agree with that. Also wearing a helmet cam sometimes winds up (no pun intended) some drivers.
Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 01:46 - Jul 26 with 2608 viewsstonojnr

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 20:17 - Jul 25 by ronnyd

Quite agree with that. Also wearing a helmet cam sometimes winds up (no pun intended) some drivers.

genuinely you could ride with proper TV camera crew moped next to you like they have in a pro tour race, whilst wearing a cycling jersey with a big you are being filmed and a speed camera logo on it and I guarantee most drivers would still be completely oblivious there was even a camera there.

its the being realising they can be caught part that winds some drivers up, they dont pay any attention or notice the camera bit
Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 12:22 - Jul 26 with 2512 viewsbluelagos

As an aside, riding solo and falling off at a junction, doesnt count as a tumble if no one sees it....So I definitely never fell over this morning, I definitely didnt go left foot out and fall right. Again. Fcks sake

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 14:23 - Jul 26 with 2472 viewsKBsSocks

I've got a couple of Mobius cameras - only off fleabay, unfortunately
(though there are some resellers to be found in some countries:
https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/).

Under £60, and as good as cameras costing 3x as much.
Tiny. I leave mine there and forget about it.
The battery outlasts my memory card on max. video setting - good for over two hours, anyway. Sorry, don't know about getting 6-7 hours.
There are forums for model plane flyers who use Mobius and they want longer - you can get larger batteries and a cable to connect into the cam, but I would think the robustness on a bike would be adversely-affected.

Or as a car webcam, you get a capacitor instead, and the car battery runs it. For as long as your memory card lasts.

From eletoponline:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/eletoponline365/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

They aren't waterproof, but reasonably robust.
I've got a couple, but only ever used one at a time - one on top of helmet, one rear-facing, one front-facing mount.

Good quality video, especially the Maxi latest incarnation.
Photos (timelapse) are a bit mediocre.
Fully-programmable, too, so you can tweak what your get out of the camera:
http://www.mytempfiles.info/mobius/index.html
(maybe download the software to see what you can change).

The main problem I've had is overheating (one died),
and software updates (a second was bricked because the update was interrupted - will get it returned, though).
DON'T INTERRUPT UPDATES !

And I wouldn't personally recommend leaving one in a car - okay while driving, but take it out with you rather than leave it in the sun.

Watch out for copies on fleabay - there are some cheap knock-offs that don't work for long (got tricked by one of those a few years ago).

Poll: Are Phil and Gav doing a great job re-TWTD ?
Blog: Comparison Time Again

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 14:32 - Jul 26 with 2463 viewsKBsSocks

Mobius don't have a screen or anything like that, but if, like me, you just use it for watching back afterwards, then you don't need one. And they are tiny, as I mentioned.

I've had a couple of "incidents" recorded on them, but I mainly enjoy playing them back to remember sunny cycle rides.

I was carrying one once when out for a run, and got clipped by a car ("I can just squeeze between this horse and rider and that runner") - unfortunately, it was off, not on (I managed to turn it on to catch the disappearing car).

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 14:47 - Jul 26 with 2456 viewsElephantintheRoom

If you want it in case of an accident, you might want to think of the damage it can do to your helmet (and head) in said accident.

Take a phone - or dont have an accident.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 15:11 - Jul 26 with 2444 viewshoppy

I think Factual Blue has often spoken of a bullet for cyclists... maybe he could help?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 15:18 - Jul 26 with 2441 viewsbluelagos

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 15:11 - Jul 26 by hoppy

I think Factual Blue has often spoken of a bullet for cyclists... maybe he could help?

Poor factors must be having kittens with the current cycling revolution. Might have to suggest some Ixworth cafes to some cycling buddies :-)

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 15:21 - Jul 26 with 2435 viewsKBsSocks

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 14:47 - Jul 26 by ElephantintheRoom

If you want it in case of an accident, you might want to think of the damage it can do to your helmet (and head) in said accident.

Take a phone - or dont have an accident.

You can't record the accident / incident on a phone safely, only the aftermath.

With my head-mounted Mobius, it's right on top of my head (I don't often put it there, anyway), and the Mobius weighs 27g or something. The mount it's on is detachable anyway (would detach in an accident, unless perhaps I landed directly on top of my head, in which case I'd have a broken neck with or without a detachable action cam).

I'd be more wary of putting it on the side of my helmet, as an impact accident to the temple is more likely.

But I ordinarily mount it on the handlebars or rear-facing, and not infrequently carry it in my hand as it's so small and doesn't interfere in any way with using a bike. (You can get a glove-mounting, too, for it).

It's TINY !

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 15:26 - Jul 26 with 2430 viewsKBsSocks

(I've also used gorilla-pod mounted cams, but they tend to wobble a lot more, even with extra image-stabilisation - with body-mounting in some form, you act as a bit of an image-stabiliser :-) ).

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 15:28 - Jul 26 with 2428 viewsbluelagos

Any of the TWTD cycling massive got a half decent camera on 15:21 - Jul 26 by KBsSocks

You can't record the accident / incident on a phone safely, only the aftermath.

With my head-mounted Mobius, it's right on top of my head (I don't often put it there, anyway), and the Mobius weighs 27g or something. The mount it's on is detachable anyway (would detach in an accident, unless perhaps I landed directly on top of my head, in which case I'd have a broken neck with or without a detachable action cam).

I'd be more wary of putting it on the side of my helmet, as an impact accident to the temple is more likely.

But I ordinarily mount it on the handlebars or rear-facing, and not infrequently carry it in my hand as it's so small and doesn't interfere in any way with using a bike. (You can get a glove-mounting, too, for it).

It's TINY !

Have had the same discussion with motorbikers worried about mounting a camera on top of a helmet. Land on the top of your helmet and your pretty fcked anyway is my view.

Life is about managing risks, not eliminating them. Otherwise no one would ever get on 2 wheels anyway.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2020 15:28]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024