Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any VAT experts out there? 09:52 - Jul 26 with 826 viewsPinewoodblue

Can someone clarify the correct tax point for services booked, and invoiced in advance. Specifically hotel bookings.

Relates to the reduced VAT rate. Company are charging the lower rate for bookings made after the date of change but if stay is after January charging the full 20%. They are also charging full 20% on stays before January if booked, and VAT invoice raised prior to change date.

Surely they can’t have it both ways.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Any VAT experts out there? on 10:13 - Jul 26 with 780 viewsLeaky

I think you will find it is the date on the invoice. If not I've been doing my vat wrong for 30 years.
Any VAT experts out there? on 11:24 - Jul 26 with 739 viewsPinewoodblue

Any VAT experts out there? on 10:13 - Jul 26 by Leaky

I think you will find it is the date on the invoice. If not I've been doing my vat wrong for 30 years.

That’s how I always understood it but it seems I may be wrong. This is the senario.

Break one booked for December, already paid in full, money was transferred from a cancelled booking earlier this year.

Break two booked since 16th July, for February. They are saying the lower tax rates only applies to breaks booked after 16th July to be completed by 12th January.

I thought the tax point was the key and appreciate there can be more than one tax point if a deposit involved. One bring date of booking, when deposit is due, the other being date balance due not the actual date of the break.

They want the benefit both ways.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Any VAT experts out there? on 13:56 - Jul 26 with 657 viewsLeaky

Any VAT experts out there? on 11:24 - Jul 26 by Pinewoodblue

That’s how I always understood it but it seems I may be wrong. This is the senario.

Break one booked for December, already paid in full, money was transferred from a cancelled booking earlier this year.

Break two booked since 16th July, for February. They are saying the lower tax rates only applies to breaks booked after 16th July to be completed by 12th January.

I thought the tax point was the key and appreciate there can be more than one tax point if a deposit involved. One bring date of booking, when deposit is due, the other being date balance due not the actual date of the break.

They want the benefit both ways.

I bought a pc years ago from PC world, they gave 0 deposit 12months interest free credit. I paid the balance 50 weeks later. Asked my accountant when I should claim the vat he said first vat quarter after date of invoice. I would have thought your situation would be similar. However there invoice may have been raised when you made the original booking.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024