Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) 18:15 - Jul 26 with 2567 viewsFtnfwest

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 18:16 - Jul 26 with 1747 viewsgainsboroughblue

Anderson and Broad are quite simply, the best bowling partnership we've ever had. They are going to be a hell of a task to replace.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 18:20 - Jul 26 with 1727 viewsAce_High1

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 18:16 - Jul 26 by gainsboroughblue

Anderson and Broad are quite simply, the best bowling partnership we've ever had. They are going to be a hell of a task to replace.

Do you think we should manage their departure though?

We do not want to be like Australia in 2007 when McGrath, Warne, Langer, Hayden, Gilchrist all went together.

Broad should last a year or so after Anderson goes to lead the attack, just depends if they want to make a statement and go out together.
Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 18:22 - Jul 26 with 1716 viewssparks

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 18:20 - Jul 26 by Ace_High1

We do not want to be like Australia in 2007 when McGrath, Warne, Langer, Hayden, Gilchrist all went together.

Broad should last a year or so after Anderson goes to lead the attack, just depends if they want to make a statement and go out together.

Broad has been clear- he thinks he can go on several years after Anderson stops. 4 years younger... No sign of either waning in fitness or performance.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 18:23 - Jul 26 with 1710 viewsSteve_M

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 18:23 - Jul 26 with 1711 viewsgainsboroughblue

I expect Anderson's last hurrah (fitness permitting) will be down under. Broad will be the number one bowler for as long as he sees fit. He seems to be getting better with age and I was a bit of a critic of his for a number of years, mainly for basically banging it in too much.

Probably time for Archer to push on. Can't see Wood being the answer. Maybe Olly Stone? But ain't seen a great deal of him.

499 by the way as I post.

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 18:25 - Jul 26 with 1706 viewsgainsboroughblue

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 18:23 - Jul 26 by Steve_M

What a bloody shame there's no crowd to witness this.

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 18:28 - Jul 26 with 1699 viewssparks

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 18:23 - Jul 26 by gainsboroughblue

I expect Anderson's last hurrah (fitness permitting) will be down under. Broad will be the number one bowler for as long as he sees fit. He seems to be getting better with age and I was a bit of a critic of his for a number of years, mainly for basically banging it in too much.

Probably time for Archer to push on. Can't see Wood being the answer. Maybe Olly Stone? But ain't seen a great deal of him.

As I have mentioned before- at the moment, Archer doesnt often deliver for me. His selection was based on being very quick. Mostly, since the end of last summer, he has been only a little quicker than broad and anderson. 3 or 4 right arm seamers of similar pace, probably isnt ideal. Wood actually pretty much guarantees real pace, though he is not as skilful- it is variation. As is Curran.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 18:35 - Jul 26 with 1676 viewsgainsboroughblue

Come on Broady, get it with the last delivery.

Login to get fewer ads

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 18:37 - Jul 26 with 1670 viewsjas0999

The decision to drop Broad for the first game has clearly refocused the guys efforts. Simple exceptional in this Test with bat and ball.
Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 18:44 - Jul 26 with 1653 viewsFtnfwest

I’ve always thought as others have said that jimmy could just about make the ashes but that would really be it. Still a force on English wickets but probably only one more summer after this as I’m not sure he can keep up the zip in his deliveries for as long now.
Broad should at least make the next ashes home series which is 3 years away although it’s all injury permitting of course.
Jofra is still very much learning but to have home and Wood is a bonus.
You’ve also got woakes who can soften the blow when presumably jimmy retires by plugging the gap for a couple of years.
Think Curran should have been the 4th seamer here though, they’re all too similar.
Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 18:45 - Jul 26 with 1647 viewsAce_High1

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 18:23 - Jul 26 by gainsboroughblue

Wood is just a pick now for certain conditions - Perth for example where you want that extra pace or maybe next winter in India.

Archer, Broad, Anderson will be our main attack for next 12-18 months with then a spinner/other option as required by the conditions.
Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 18:47 - Jul 26 with 1640 viewssparks

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 18:44 - Jul 26 by Ftnfwest

I’ve always thought as others have said that jimmy could just about make the ashes but that would really be it. Still a force on English wickets but probably only one more summer after this as I’m not sure he can keep up the zip in his deliveries for as long now.
Broad should at least make the next ashes home series which is 3 years away although it’s all injury permitting of course.
Jofra is still very much learning but to have home and Wood is a bonus.
You’ve also got woakes who can soften the blow when presumably jimmy retires by plugging the gap for a couple of years.
Think Curran should have been the 4th seamer here though, they’re all too similar.

Indeed. If Archer is 90 plus, that is variation. But mostly he isnt. Woakes is very much in the Anderson mould, though lower and slingier.

Curran at least is a left armer, and Wood has proper pace.

Im concerned about Bess. So far, he doesn't seem to have the nagging accuracy required. He will get clubbed around the Waca...

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 19:02 - Jul 26 with 1618 viewshampstead_blue

Broad is 4 years younger and will probably go on a past Anderson.

Imagine both of them on 600 each.

His fuller length is a thing of joy.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 20:02 - Jul 26 with 1570 viewsFtnfwest

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 18:47 - Jul 26 by sparks

Indeed. If Archer is 90 plus, that is variation. But mostly he isnt. Woakes is very much in the Anderson mould, though lower and slingier.

Curran at least is a left armer, and Wood has proper pace.

Im concerned about Bess. So far, he doesn't seem to have the nagging accuracy required. He will get clubbed around the Waca...

Agree on Bess although he’s not had much chance yet, but jacks still about as well
Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 20:06 - Jul 26 with 1561 viewssparks

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 20:02 - Jul 26 by Ftnfwest

Agree on Bess although he’s not had much chance yet, but jacks still about as well

Needs a bit more for me. Either more rotations, or more accuracy.

Its a long time since we had a proper test spinner. Add a new Swann to this attack and we are in with a shout

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 20:11 - Jul 26 with 1557 viewsShawsey

Amazing partnership with Anderson. Hope they can carry on for a year or 2 yet.
Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 20:21 - Jul 26 with 1538 viewsvapour_trail

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 18:16 - Jul 26 by gainsboroughblue

As a pair of quicks, they’re up there with the best I’ve seen from anywhere.

Broad and Anderson
Waqar and Wasim
Donald and Pollock
Ambrose and Walsh

Where do they rank?

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 20:34 - Jul 26 with 1517 viewssparks

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 20:21 - Jul 26 by vapour_trail

Broad and Anderson
Waqar and Wasim
Donald and Pollock
Ambrose and Walsh

Where do they rank?

Amongst that list?

below Ambrose and Walsh, and Waquar and Wasim. But above Donald and Pollock.

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 20:34 - Jul 26 with 1516 viewsChrisd

You look at Anderson, seems fit as a fiddle and still bowling 85mph+ and for a 37 year old. Are we writing him off too early?

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 20:35 - Jul 26 with 1511 viewssparks

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 20:34 - Jul 26 by Chrisd

You look at Anderson, seems fit as a fiddle and still bowling 85mph+ and for a 37 year old. Are we writing him off too early?

base it on performance not age. If he is averaging 85mph and still swinging it, and not breaking down- he has to be selected.

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 21:30 - Jul 26 with 1452 viewsKeno

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 20:21 - Jul 26 by vapour_trail

Broad and Anderson
Waqar and Wasim
Donald and Pollock
Ambrose and Walsh

Where do they rank?

What about Lillee & Thompson?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 21:34 - Jul 26 with 1439 viewsvapour_trail

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 21:30 - Jul 26 by Keno

As I said, best I’ve seen, old man.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 22:05 - Jul 26 with 1393 viewsRyorry

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 21:30 - Jul 26 by Keno

I was lucky enough to see them live in the Ashes Test at Headingley, 1981.

Some things are worth being "old" for

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 22:53 - Jul 26 with 1355 viewsMelford

When Jimmy retires he should be knighted. If Alistair Cook gets a gong for his services to cricket and Andrew Strauss does (although he gets a lot of credit for his charity work) then Jimmy should. Look at all the records he's broken, he's as good a fast bowler as Stirling Moss was a GP driver, as good as Andy Murray is a tennis player, as good as Nick Faldo was as a golfer in his prime.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Broad could have the 500 tonight here (n/t) on 07:23 - Jul 27 with 1235 viewsfranz_tyson

How effective will Jimmy be Down Under?

I can’t help feel Jimmy should target next summer as his last hurrah. To end his career, it would be better if he was bowling under English conditions rather than being ineffective in Australia.
If we’re going horses for courses, it doesn’t make sense to take Jimmy to Australia. He’ll be 39 as well.
As for Broad, he’s been very good the last year and maybe time to come out of Jimmys shadow a bit. Jimmy has always been looked upon more favourably than Broad and maybe it’s time for Broad to be seen as the go-to senior bowler.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024