Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A TWTD Covid special 20:40 - Jul 27 with 1681 viewsCoastalblue

As we haven't been able to go out to eat, what's your favourite take away/order in?

For me there's a place in Spitalfields which does great jerk chicken, that or pizza are normally first considerations.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

A TWTD Covid special on 20:45 - Jul 27 with 1649 viewsDebsyAngel

We don't often have a takeaway, but I always enjoy Papa John's Pizza. And for my early birthday meal , I had chips, battered burger and scraps from Joe's Fish and Chips on Felixstowe Road. Lovely stuff, but would rather have gone for a meal out this year!
A TWTD Covid special on 20:50 - Jul 27 with 1641 viewsfooters

Stokie can back me up on this but there's a proper 'authentic' (well, for British palates/experiences anyway) place called Xianimpression which is a stone's throw from the Emirates. If you're ever there for a game, please do try it.

Hand-pulled fresh noodles, plenty of chilli, bao 'burgers' stuffed with pulled Chinese pork or beef. Fantastic. No MSG in sight and not bad on price either.

Pushed the boat out and ordered from a Polish place last week too and it was pretty good! Pierogis, something called hunter's stew which was great, sour cream and taters. Just what the doctor ordered when it's miserable out!

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

A TWTD Covid special on 20:53 - Jul 27 with 1628 viewsfooters

A TWTD Covid special on 20:45 - Jul 27 by DebsyAngel

We don't often have a takeaway, but I always enjoy Papa John's Pizza. And for my early birthday meal , I had chips, battered burger and scraps from Joe's Fish and Chips on Felixstowe Road. Lovely stuff, but would rather have gone for a meal out this year!

Scraps! When I ask for 'em here, no one's ever heard of them!

Do most local chippies still do that? Although not a Suffolk thing really I do miss chips and gravy too. That'll sort you out after a night on the sauce.

A TWTD Covid special on 20:54 - Jul 27 with 1625 viewsCoastalblue

A TWTD Covid special on 20:50 - Jul 27 by footers

Stokie can back me up on this but there's a proper 'authentic' (well, for British palates/experiences anyway) place called Xianimpression which is a stone's throw from the Emirates. If you're ever there for a game, please do try it.

Hand-pulled fresh noodles, plenty of chilli, bao 'burgers' stuffed with pulled Chinese pork or beef. Fantastic. No MSG in sight and not bad on price either.

Pushed the boat out and ordered from a Polish place last week too and it was pretty good! Pierogis, something called hunter's stew which was great, sour cream and taters. Just what the doctor ordered when it's miserable out!

My other half works in an office (well used to and may do so again) a stone's throw from the Emirates, so while it's probably a Geoff Capes howitzer in the other direction I'll check it out ta.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

A TWTD Covid special on 20:57 - Jul 27 with 1614 viewsDebsyAngel

A TWTD Covid special on 20:53 - Jul 27 by footers

Do most local chippies still do that? Although not a Suffolk thing really I do miss chips and gravy too. That'll sort you out after a night on the sauce.

I am not sure if it's just a Suffolk saying, but "crispy batter bits" just hasn't the same ring!

The 2 near us do them (Foxhall Road chippy being the other). I was never keen on chips and gravy, but did used to like a bit of curry sauce years ago!
A TWTD Covid special on 21:09 - Jul 27 with 1584 viewsjeera

A TWTD Covid special on 20:53 - Jul 27 by footers

You need to be careful when asking for scraps down there mate.

Chips and gravy though, really? I've just Googled your other place and that looks pretty sound - can't beat a bit of Chinese 'street' food. I'd love that place on my doorstep.

There's not much where I am takeaway wise though a few restaurants, their food isn't really the sort of stuff to be considered takeaway. I have had a couple of pizzas but that's it.

There's an Indian but it's the worst Indian I've ever encountered and I mean it's crap.

I have to rely on my own fakewaways but I do a half-decent noodle stir fry/chow mein.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

A TWTD Covid special on 21:21 - Jul 27 with 1557 viewsfooters

A TWTD Covid special on 21:09 - Jul 27 by jeera

You need to be careful when asking for scraps down there mate.

Chips and gravy though, really? I've just Googled your other place and that looks pretty sound - can't beat a bit of Chinese 'street' food. I'd love that place on my doorstep.

There's not much where I am takeaway wise though a few restaurants, their food isn't really the sort of stuff to be considered takeaway. I have had a couple of pizzas but that's it.

There's an Indian but it's the worst Indian I've ever encountered and I mean it's crap.

I have to rely on my own fakewaways but I do a half-decent noodle stir fry/chow mein.

Chips and gravy is banging! Cheesy chips and gravy is the national dish of Canada for gawd's sake! Maybe it's the childhood memories of chips and gravy from Yarmouth (I know, I know) market. Cracking chips.

Ah, bad situation with the Indian as I know you are an aficionado.... I'd love to hear a scathing review but appreciate the flashback it may cause :)

Good to not be into takeaways really, better to be the master of your own destiny. But when you see a queue for the shop that's a mile long after a day's work, the temptation is always there...
[Post edited 27 Jul 2020 21:22]

A TWTD Covid special on 21:50 - Jul 27 with 1510 viewsjeera

A TWTD Covid special on 21:21 - Jul 27 by footers

Chips and gravy is banging! Cheesy chips and gravy is the national dish of Canada for gawd's sake! Maybe it's the childhood memories of chips and gravy from Yarmouth (I know, I know) market. Cracking chips.

Ah, bad situation with the Indian as I know you are an aficionado.... I'd love to hear a scathing review but appreciate the flashback it may cause :)

Good to not be into takeaways really, better to be the master of your own destiny. But when you see a queue for the shop that's a mile long after a day's work, the temptation is always there...
[Post edited 27 Jul 2020 21:22]

For a few years when working the markets the hours I did were horrendous and I had to rely heavily on takeaways, my favourite places would fawn over me.

The service would be fantastic to the point a delivery driver would stop off and grab me a few beers from an off-licence en route bringing my food in return for a fair tip.

I used to like those relationships with the local restaurants.

Following a Friday night out I'd ring my local Indian and ask for the boss. If I was too pissed to sort it out he'd just order for me and then run me home in his Lexus when I showed up to collect it. Top bloke.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2020 21:59]

Login to get fewer ads

A TWTD Covid special on 23:48 - Jul 27 with 1421 viewsfactual_blue

A visit to Ixworth's very own Walking Wok.

Saturday nights only.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

A TWTD Covid special on 23:51 - Jul 27 with 1417 viewsjeera

A TWTD Covid special on 23:48 - Jul 27 by factual_blue

A visit to Ixworth's very own Walking Wok.

Saturday nights only.

Looks good.

Do you mean they only open Saturdays or that you only use them on Saturdays.

Or that they only let you in on Saturdays?

A TWTD Covid special on 00:44 - Jul 28 with 1398 viewsfactual_blue

A TWTD Covid special on 23:51 - Jul 27 by jeera

Looks good.

Do you mean they only open Saturdays or that you only use them on Saturdays.

Or that they only let you in on Saturdays?

They are only open on a Saturday.

Run by an enterprising Malaysian lady from Sabah province on Borneo from her own house.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

A TWTD Covid special on 00:47 - Jul 28 with 1396 viewsjeera

A TWTD Covid special on 00:44 - Jul 28 by factual_blue

They are only open on a Saturday.

Run by an enterprising Malaysian lady from Sabah province on Borneo from her own house.

I should have said, do they only let you out on Saturdays?

This where Keno and Hoppy are better at this stuff than me.

Yes, I followed the link on the page and got an image of someone's house which was a bit confusing, but good on her.

I'd like to try that sometime.

A TWTD Covid special on 07:40 - Jul 28 with 1320 viewsStokieBlue

A TWTD Covid special on 20:50 - Jul 27 by footers

Seconded, although it might not look like much from the outside, Xian Impression is superb.

We've done a few takeaways from local places but mainly for convenience. There is an award winning chippy locally so that's been a winner. Generally I'd prefer to spend the money I'd use on a takeaway on some top-notch ingredients and then cook myself. Pre-lockdown I didn't realise how many places will deliver excellent ingredients to your door.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

A TWTD Covid special on 07:41 - Jul 28 with 1318 viewsStokieBlue

A TWTD Covid special on 20:54 - Jul 27 by Coastalblue

My other half works in an office (well used to and may do so again) a stone's throw from the Emirates, so while it's probably a Geoff Capes howitzer in the other direction I'll check it out ta.

It's the type of place you'd walk past if just seen from the outside. Resist the temptation to do that and head inside (when people are doing that again) - you'll probably have to queue though.

SB
[Post edited 28 Jul 2020 7:42]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024