Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
France to ban outdoor heaters 03:49 - Jul 28 with 4512 viewsNthQldITFC

Good on 'em. One of the most irresponsible, stupid inventions the world ever saw.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53552526

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

France to ban outdoor heaters on 07:29 - Jul 28 with 4384 viewsIPS_wich

Would it be churlish to observe that it's a little bit precious for someone living in North Queensland (where 22c is a typical temp in mid-winter) to make this point??

And I say that as someone living in WA where double glazing and insulation is an alien concept - even though it drops to 3-4c at night during winter.

(And no I don't own an outdoor heater - but we do have a log burner going from 4pm everyday during winter)
France to ban outdoor heaters on 08:08 - Jul 28 with 4315 viewsPlums

Good and send fecking leaf blowers with them. Buy a brush and a rake and get some exercise.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

France to ban outdoor heaters on 08:40 - Jul 28 with 4262 viewsElephantintheRoom

Luckily we still have uber-trendy fire pits here in France.... just as eco-unfriendly and far more of a fire hazard.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

France to ban outdoor heaters on 08:45 - Jul 28 with 4245 viewsStokieBlue

That will have a huge affect on business in places like Paris in the winter though where a lot of cafes have more seats outside on their terrace than they have inside.

As you say though, an unnecessary convenience.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

France to ban outdoor heaters on 08:50 - Jul 28 with 4227 viewssparks

France to ban outdoor heaters on 08:45 - Jul 28 by StokieBlue

That will have a huge affect on business in places like Paris in the winter though where a lot of cafes have more seats outside on their terrace than they have inside.

SB

Where do people stand on fire pits and chimneas then?

Similar issues apply- though it is less egregious than multiple heaters simply being on outside all day and half the night.

In the UK they seem to be mainly used as smoking areas for pubs when its cold...
[Post edited 28 Jul 2020 8:50]

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

France to ban outdoor heaters on 08:59 - Jul 28 with 4194 viewsNthQldITFC

France to ban outdoor heaters on 07:29 - Jul 28 by IPS_wich

Would it be churlish to observe that it's a little bit precious for someone living in North Queensland (where 22c is a typical temp in mid-winter) to make this point??

And I say that as someone living in WA where double glazing and insulation is an alien concept - even though it drops to 3-4c at night during winter.

(And no I don't own an outdoor heater - but we do have a log burner going from 4pm everyday during winter)

I don't actually live in North Queensland, I just used to spend a fair bit of time there,so I flew to Australia every couple of years or so which is probably far more hypocritical of me! I take your point, and think honest self-criticism is very important. The username is more to do with my affiliation with North Queensland Cowboys rugby league team.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

France to ban outdoor heaters on 09:07 - Jul 28 with 4169 viewsRonFearonsHair

France to ban outdoor heaters on 08:50 - Jul 28 by sparks

Similar issues apply- though it is less egregious than multiple heaters simply being on outside all day and half the night.

In the UK they seem to be mainly used as smoking areas for pubs when its cold...

Somewhere on the rim and with great caution.
France to ban outdoor heaters on 09:10 - Jul 28 with 4155 viewsGeoffSentence

We have a chimnea but never use it these days. Anything that burns outside is darned inconsiderate to your neighbours.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Login to get fewer ads

France to ban outdoor heaters on 09:14 - Jul 28 with 4142 viewssparks

France to ban outdoor heaters on 09:10 - Jul 28 by GeoffSentence

We have a chimnea but never use it these days. Anything that burns outside is darned inconsiderate to your neighbours.

Rather depends on the area and property, and how smoky it is.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

France to ban outdoor heaters on 09:17 - Jul 28 with 4133 viewsGeoffSentence

France to ban outdoor heaters on 09:14 - Jul 28 by sparks

Rather depends on the area and property, and how smoky it is.

If you have neighbours at all then it is hard to burn one without the smoke and smell affecting them.

If you don't have neighbours that problem can avoided, which brings up problem number two, they are inefficient and bad for the environment. Even if they could be considered carbon neutral they will still pump dirty old particulates into the air.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

France to ban outdoor heaters on 09:23 - Jul 28 with 4118 viewsclive_baker

I have a chimnea that I've lit about twice in 3 years. Never really considered its carbon footprint before tbh, I just can't be arsed to ever light it.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

France to ban outdoor heaters on 09:27 - Jul 28 with 4106 viewsSteve_M

France to ban outdoor heaters on 08:45 - Jul 28 by StokieBlue

SB

This Winter might be a little different to normal with reduced space inside but I don't disagree the general point.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

France to ban outdoor heaters on 09:30 - Jul 28 with 4091 viewsRadlett_blue

France to ban outdoor heaters on 09:27 - Jul 28 by Steve_M

This Winter might be a little different to normal with reduced space inside but I don't disagree the general point.

Indeed. They also became very popular when the smoking ban was introduced as pubs tried to make their outdoor areas more palatable.
Mrs Radlett has been chuntering about getting an electric one. We had a gas one which was used twice before we got rid of it. If it's too cold to sit outside (as it usually is in the evening in England for 111 months of the year) sit inside FFS!

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

France to ban outdoor heaters on 09:47 - Jul 28 with 4051 viewsGlasgowBlue

That would just about finish off outdoor hospitality in this country.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

France to ban outdoor heaters on 11:18 - Jul 28 with 3966 viewsPinewoodblue

France to ban outdoor heaters on 09:30 - Jul 28 by Radlett_blue

Indeed. They also became very popular when the smoking ban was introduced as pubs tried to make their outdoor areas more palatable.
Mrs Radlett has been chuntering about getting an electric one. We had a gas one which was used twice before we got rid of it. If it's too cold to sit outside (as it usually is in the evening in England for 111 months of the year) sit inside FFS!

We have an electric,infrared,, four heating elements you attach it to parasol pole, can’t remember when it was last used.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

France to ban outdoor heaters on 11:21 - Jul 28 with 3953 viewsKeno

France to ban outdoor heaters on 09:23 - Jul 28 by clive_baker

I have a chimnea that I've lit about twice in 3 years. Never really considered its carbon footprint before tbh, I just can't be arsed to ever light it.

Last time I used my chimney (about 3 years ago) I may have overdone the firelights and logs and had 4 foot high flames coming out the top of it

it isnt useable now cos it cracked badly and has been recycled as rubble

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

France to ban outdoor heaters on 11:36 - Jul 28 with 3920 viewsDubtractor

France to ban outdoor heaters on 08:08 - Jul 28 by Plums

Good and send fecking leaf blowers with them. Buy a brush and a rake and get some exercise.

Amen to this!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

France to ban outdoor heaters on 12:44 - Jul 28 with 3834 viewssparks

France to ban outdoor heaters on 11:21 - Jul 28 by Keno

Last time I used my chimney (about 3 years ago) I may have overdone the firelights and logs and had 4 foot high flames coming out the top of it

We use the chimnea relatively often- on the balcony. Not weekly by any means, but more than a couple of times a year.

France to ban outdoor heaters on 12:57 - Jul 28 with 3813 viewsstonojnr

France to ban outdoor heaters on 09:47 - Jul 28 by GlasgowBlue

That would just about finish off outdoor hospitality in this country.

it may very well do in France too, as noted by the fact the ban doesnt come in till after the winter...but lots of cafes/restaurants use outdoor seating areas with heaters, in fact lots of cafes/restaurants are basically only outdoor terraces with tiny little interiors & a kitchen/bar supporting them.
France to ban outdoor heaters on 22:10 - Jul 28 with 3632 viewsRyorry

France to ban outdoor heaters on 11:21 - Jul 28 by Keno

Attaboy Keno, showing the way as per

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

France to ban outdoor heaters on 22:19 - Jul 28 with 3618 viewsWeWereZombies

France to ban outdoor heaters on 09:17 - Jul 28 by GeoffSentence

If you have neighbours at all then it is hard to burn one without the smoke and smell affecting them.

If you don't have neighbours that problem can avoided, which brings up problem number two, they are inefficient and bad for the environment. Even if they could be considered carbon neutral they will still pump dirty old particulates into the air.

Geoff, please stop burning your neighbours - and much as they hate the smoke and the smell I reckon it is the searing heat and crackling of the flesh which really get to them...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

France to ban outdoor heaters on 22:32 - Jul 28 with 3602 viewsfabian_illness

I heard the UK are following suit by banning pizza ovens.
France to ban outdoor heaters on 23:15 - Jul 28 with 3572 viewsRyorry

France to ban outdoor heaters on 22:19 - Jul 28 by WeWereZombies

Geoff, please stop burning your neighbours - and much as they hate the smoke and the smell I reckon it is the searing heat and crackling of the flesh which really get to them...

The singed hair smell is the worst! ;)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024