Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The pivotal time in the history of a club 08:26 - Jul 29 with 12850 viewsBluefish

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/waghorn-lifts-lid-on-his-ipswich-exit-1-6766668

How a fan base just threw it all away

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

The pivotal time in the history of a club on 08:33 - Jul 29 with 3588 viewsartsbossbeard

Decent read.

He's also been exceptionally kind about Hurst there too as his exact words at the time were a bit stronger in regard to working with him.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:05 - Jul 29 with 3478 viewsLibero

Mick McCarthy was a class act, huge f*ck you to every "supporter" that went too far, even bigger LOL at the one's who to this day can't accept that Mick was a class act and they were wrong.
The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:08 - Jul 29 with 3454 viewshomer_123

The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:05 - Jul 29 by Libero

Mick McCarthy was a class act, huge f*ck you to every "supporter" that went too far, even bigger LOL at the one's who to this day can't accept that Mick was a class act and they were wrong.

It's clear from your post that these people also voted for this government.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:13 - Jul 29 with 3424 viewsSteve_M

They have understated our finishing position in 17-18, we were 12th not 16th.

Those fans who thought MM was holding us back from the top six were the best ones but it isn't really down to the fans, it wasn't them who let Hurst rip up an established Championship side and overpay for a load of lower division players.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2020 9:23]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:15 - Jul 29 with 3406 viewsLibero

The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:13 - Jul 29 by Steve_M

Those fans who thought MM was holding us back from the top six were the best ones but it isn't really down to the fans, it wasn't them who let Hurst rip up an established Championship side and overpay for a load of lower division players.

I dunno, I think the supporters that made the environment uncomfortable for McCarthy have a lot to answer for.
In the end it was the right time for club and Manager to part, but that was purely due to the toxic environment that sections of our "support" revelled in creating.

Let's not forget that we had our own supporters singing song about him being a paedophile, ffs.
The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:15 - Jul 29 with 3401 viewshomer_123

The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:13 - Jul 29 by Steve_M

You can't be suggesting, Steve, that someone else is responsible? Like....someone higher up?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:17 - Jul 29 with 3394 viewspatrickswell

Guy was working miracles and we went after the miracle worker instead of the man who kept giving him 5 loaves and 2 fishes every year and saying , “There you are, get on with that!”

Imagine if Mick had thrown Evans under the bus instead of shielding him from criticism. Brazil’s Most Wanted Man would have been f–ked.
The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:20 - Jul 29 with 3373 viewsSwansea_Blue

The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:05 - Jul 29 by Libero

Numbskulls gotta numbskull.

He did suck the enjoyment out of the game though. But then I suppose he had to with the resources he didn't have. What a mess.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:23 - Jul 29 with 3365 viewsHerbivore

Part of me wonders how Mick's last season might have panned out if Glen Loovens hadn't tried to castrate David McGoldrick, whilst remarkably not getting sent off for it. Didz was playing well at the time, the team always looked capable of scoring goals as well, and we were well in the hunt for the top 6. Our form never really recovered and as we meandered to a midtable finish the toxicity just went up and up. Our fans acted like proper dickheads.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:25 - Jul 29 with 3345 viewsLibero

The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:23 - Jul 29 by Herbivore

Part of me wonders how Mick's last season might have panned out if Glen Loovens hadn't tried to castrate David McGoldrick, whilst remarkably not getting sent off for it. Didz was playing well at the time, the team always looked capable of scoring goals as well, and we were well in the hunt for the top 6. Our form never really recovered and as we meandered to a midtable finish the toxicity just went up and up. Our fans acted like proper dickheads.

It's possible McGoldrick was about to go on a purple patch for the first time in 3/4 years, he certainly looked the best he had in a long while, but I think you're clutching at straws somewhat.

Agree with your final point though, some of our "support" really were (still are?) an absolute embarrassment.
The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:30 - Jul 29 with 3298 viewsHerbivore

The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:25 - Jul 29 by Libero

It's possible McGoldrick was about to go on a purple patch for the first time in 3/4 years, he certainly looked the best he had in a long while, but I think you're clutching at straws somewhat.

Agree with your final point though, some of our "support" really were (still are?) an absolute embarrassment.

You don't especially rate Didz? You should have mentioned it, mate.

The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:32 - Jul 29 with 3289 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:30 - Jul 29 by Herbivore

Didz was no Frank Nouble, that’s for sure.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:35 - Jul 29 with 3272 viewsSteve_M

The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:15 - Jul 29 by Libero

I dunno, I think the supporters that made the environment uncomfortable for McCarthy have a lot to answer for.
In the end it was the right time for club and Manager to part, but that was purely due to the toxic environment that sections of our "support" revelled in creating.

Let's not forget that we had our own supporters singing song about him being a paedophile, ffs.

I don't disagree that some fans were blinded by their hatred of McCarthy by the end and they certainly made it toxic at Portman Road and notably at Brentford where a large number of fans turned up with the sole intention of abusing MM throughout.

The first half of 17-18, particularly at home we were really good. One poor performance on Boxing Day and that was all forgotten.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:37 - Jul 29 with 3253 viewsLibero

The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:30 - Jul 29 by Herbivore

Yes, I thought he was sh1t, one of the worst players I've ever seen.

Oh wait, no, I never said that and actually consider him to have been a very naturally gifted player.

This thread that you were engaged with clearly states my stance on McGoldrick, please don't perpetrate a mistruth, had you down as better than that.

McGoaldrick by vapour_trail 11 Jul 2020 17:50
Great to see him finally a top flight goal scorer.

The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:38 - Jul 29 with 3236 viewsLibero

The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:35 - Jul 29 by Steve_M

I don't disagree that some fans were blinded by their hatred of McCarthy by the end and they certainly made it toxic at Portman Road and notably at Brentford where a large number of fans turned up with the sole intention of abusing MM throughout.

The first half of 17-18, particularly at home we were really good. One poor performance on Boxing Day and that was all forgotten.

Aye, fair assessment.
I especially like the one's who still complain about the best manager we've had in 20 odd years.
The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:39 - Jul 29 with 3225 viewsHerbivore

We were good at home pre-Christmas, the odd game aside. We scored plenty and played with real pace and intent going forward. We didn't maintain it and injuries played a part in that, losing Garner for a chunk of time was also a blow as he gave us a different option up top.

The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:41 - Jul 29 with 3215 viewsLibero

The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:39 - Jul 29 by Herbivore

We were good at home pre-Christmas, the odd game aside. We scored plenty and played with real pace and intent going forward. We didn't maintain it and injuries played a part in that, losing Garner for a chunk of time was also a blow as he gave us a different option up top.

When you think about it that McCarthy rebuild that was ushered in with Garner and Waghorn was miraculous!
The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:41 - Jul 29 with 3214 viewsHerbivore

The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:37 - Jul 29 by Libero

Yes, I thought he was sh1t, one of the worst players I've ever seen.

Oh wait, no, I never said that and actually consider him to have been a very naturally gifted player.

This thread that you were engaged with clearly states my stance on McGoldrick, please don't perpetrate a mistruth, had you down as better than that.

McGoaldrick by vapour_trail 11 Jul 2020 17:50
Great to see him finally a top flight goal scorer.

And yet whenever anyone mentions him and his impact or potential impact you appear to argue to the contrary.

The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:42 - Jul 29 with 3212 viewsJambo

It all got very awful at the end. I remember casually asking someone who did they think we would get who was a) better than MM and b) had the same level of credibility.

I was told that we are Ipswich Town and that we can get anyone we bloody like....

Turns out we did. And he was shiote.

Like HarryfromBath said - Hurst took a baseball bat to an excellent team and we should not forget that.
The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:46 - Jul 29 with 3194 viewsLibero

The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:41 - Jul 29 by Herbivore

And yet whenever anyone mentions him and his impact or potential impact you appear to argue to the contrary.

That's your interpretation, if you want a more detailed argument about the likelihood of McGoldrick being the difference that season if had stayed fit then just look at his appearances to goals ratio, I think that's the fairest way to look at it?

I agree that he was in fine fettle before the injury and was showing glimpses of the player that was so impressive for part of 2013-14.

I don't know how many of his 22 appearances and 6 goals in 2017-18 came before or after his injury? Regardless, in that one season he had significantly improved on his goals per minutes return for the previous two campaigns.
The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:50 - Jul 29 with 3172 viewsChiefXL

The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:38 - Jul 29 by Libero

Aye, fair assessment.
I especially like the one's who still complain about the best manager we've had in 20 odd years.

LOL, you trolling
The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:51 - Jul 29 with 3164 viewsLibero

The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:50 - Jul 29 by ChiefXL

LOL, you trolling

George Burley.
Mick McCarthy.
Joe Royle.
The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:59 - Jul 29 with 3132 viewsHerbivore

The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:46 - Jul 29 by Libero

That's your interpretation, if you want a more detailed argument about the likelihood of McGoldrick being the difference that season if had stayed fit then just look at his appearances to goals ratio, I think that's the fairest way to look at it?

I agree that he was in fine fettle before the injury and was showing glimpses of the player that was so impressive for part of 2013-14.

I don't know how many of his 22 appearances and 6 goals in 2017-18 came before or after his injury? Regardless, in that one season he had significantly improved on his goals per minutes return for the previous two campaigns.

I don't agree that goals per game is the fairest way to look at it, given what else he brings to the side. There is no doubt our attacking play with him pre-injury than without him and post-injury. But using your measure, all of Didz's goals that season (8 in all competitions, 6 in the league) came before the injury caused by Loovens. Not far off a goal every other game in the league and exactly one in two across all comps. So thinking that without that injury we might have done better isn't exactly hugely wishful thinking on my part, he was playing well generally and was scoring goals at a decent rate to boot.

You can keep saying you rate Didz but you kind of undermine that expressed view by talking him down at every opportunity. You've made yourself look a little silly in doing so on this thread when it's pretty evident Didz had made a big contribution to our useful start to the season before Loovens assaulted him and we missed him thereafter.

The pivotal time in the history of a club on 10:01 - Jul 29 with 3117 viewsHerbivore

The pivotal time in the history of a club on 09:51 - Jul 29 by Libero

George Burley.
Mick McCarthy.
Joe Royle.

I make you right.

The pivotal time in the history of a club on 10:01 - Jul 29 with 2962 viewsJakeITFC

It is important to remember that it was really boring, we were going nowhere and that the relationship between (some) fans and management had completely gone.

That we've made consistently bad choices since then probably was quite likely, but it isn't to say that we should have just accepted being a nothing club going nowhere.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024