Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed 09:47 - Jul 29 with 4310 viewsHorsham

So far my learnings from last season and this summer it looks promising in so much as Evans seemingly it is not desperate to sell. I think it’s a good time to reflect in some of our perceived good old days under Burley and Sheepshanks there would have been no choice. Downes would be sold to fund the club and if we didn’t get enough for Downes we would have been forced to sell Woolfie too.

In terms of transfers this summer so far and the lack of I read a comment from Portsmouth that they were needing to wait and see about the salary cap info. I guess worst case for us is League 1 do something nuts and vote it through for this season but whatever they decide it surely has an impact on the type of contracts clubs like us and Pompey can offer. Put simply it isn’t such a big deal for those who are already or close to complying, they can operate as they always have done. I’d suggest until the detail is clear clubs such as ourselves Sunderland and Portsmouth are better being careful. Incidentally have these clubs been active in signing players yet this summer?

So into the guts and feathers. We have a manager on a long contract who appears not be going anywhere soon. A manager that had a powerful but unbalanced squad at his disposal. A manager who by most accounts strongly favours a 4-3-3 formation yet flip flops in terms of formation and personnel constantly. A manager tied to his perceptions of players...Jackson not a lone centre forward, not a wide forward, needs to play in a 2 up front so throw 4-3-3 out and play a 2 up front. Sh!t the bed the favoured formation got chucked out in the first game. We won Lambert is ok. The systems change but I think just once was Jackson played wide. Lambert’s handling of Jackson all season contributed to the confused formation mess. He dropped the ball on the tough choice to stick with his formation and play Jackson wide or not at all.

Lambert has said he wants to learn from next season and the identity of the team was never clear last season. He needs to fix this now. And needs to solve his Jackson problem to do that.

The media suggest we are targeting a centre forward and centre back as priority. I’d suggest our weakest first choice position is left back so I’d make that number one requirement but a centre forward is another must. If Lambert plays his system at last he needs a decent athlete at left back a mirror of KVY would be perfect and a lower league Drogba centre forward. The rest as far I’m concerned are lower priority. Those 2 should be signed with the intention of being first choice. I don’t really think we need more than 2 players.

Well I’ve rambled on and the sun is out so have a good day all.
Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 09:52 - Jul 29 with 4255 viewsKeno

from your user name are you based in West Sussex?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 09:54 - Jul 29 with 4261 viewsSteve_M

"our perceived good old days under Burley and Sheepshanks"

Ah, yes back when we were the fourth most successful club, in terms of points per game, over about three seasons (after Man Utd, Arsenal & Sunderland), challenging for promotion to the Premier League each season.

Yes, definitely only a perception that that was better than not being good enough to make the third division play-offs.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 10:00 - Jul 29 with 4226 viewsHorsham

Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 09:54 - Jul 29 by Steve_M

Ah, yes back when we were the fourth most successful club, in terms of points per game, over about three seasons (after Man Utd, Arsenal & Sunderland), challenging for promotion to the Premier League each season.

Yes, definitely only a perception that that was better than not being good enough to make the third division play-offs.

Totally a fair point. They were good days. I enjoyed them as much as the next man. My point was to perhaps appreciate that we are seemingly less over a barrel now in terms of choosing when we sell and for how much. We may well blow that luxury through incompetence and cocking around and I don’t dispute that at all. Evans in my view is guilty of mismanagement rather than under funding. We have always been under funded. Just now we aren’t smart enough to beat the odds like we used to be. It’s harder now but we definitely aren’t as smart as we used to be.
Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 10:02 - Jul 29 with 4208 viewsHorsham

Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 09:52 - Jul 29 by Keno

from your user name are you based in West Sussex?

Indeed I am! Currently on hols on the IoW so I’m being allowed time to ponder all things Ipswich while my kids prefer to sleep endlessly in the morning! You are a Worthing man are you not?
Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 10:11 - Jul 29 with 4181 viewsKeno

Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 10:02 - Jul 29 by Horsham

Indeed I am! Currently on hols on the IoW so I’m being allowed time to ponder all things Ipswich while my kids prefer to sleep endlessly in the morning! You are a Worthing man are you not?

I am indeed, tho technically a couple of miles to the west.

You have a nice fews days weather coming up

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 10:30 - Jul 29 with 4129 viewsrickw

Can't argue with that, I would also like a new centre back, Nsiala is an accident waiting to happen, Wilson has severe technical limitations and Chambers is another year older and slower and will need longer to recover between games.

Judge also doesn't fit into the 4-3-3 system who a lot of hopes were put onto him a year ago after turning down QPR. Sadly I can't see many other L1/L2 clubs paying fees to sign any of our squad players this summer....

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 10:30 - Jul 29 with 4128 viewsHorsham

Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 10:11 - Jul 29 by Keno

We are Ipswich. We are massive. We are everywhere:).

Footnote- I did see a large man in a Norwich shirt in a pub garden last night...
Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 10:34 - Jul 29 with 4113 viewsHorsham

Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 10:30 - Jul 29 by rickw

Can't argue with that, I would also like a new centre back, Nsiala is an accident waiting to happen, Wilson has severe technical limitations and Chambers is another year older and slower and will need longer to recover between games.

Judge also doesn't fit into the 4-3-3 system who a lot of hopes were put onto him a year ago after turning down QPR. Sadly I can't see many other L1/L2 clubs paying fees to sign any of our squad players this summer....

Depends on the funding for me. If there funds for a first choice centre back then get one otherwise make do. In my view we are in this mess because of signing squad fillers. Surely now where we need a squad filler we should be looking to promote through our own youth set up. Shoe the pathway to the first team O’Niel has talked about.

Edit - just to add I think Judge can fit a 4-3-3 either in one the roles either side of the holding midfielder or in a wide forward role. Just that he generally seems to be allowed to do what he likes.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2020 10:38]
Login to get fewer ads

Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 11:25 - Jul 29 with 4052 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Danny Graham was mentioned the other day. Was a pretty good shout.

Although consensus seems to be that he will remain up north.

Agree with most of your post.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 11:56 - Jul 29 with 4029 viewsHorsham

Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 11:25 - Jul 29 by Marshalls_Mullet

Danny Graham was mentioned the other day. Was a pretty good shout.

Although consensus seems to be that he will remain up north.

Agree with most of your post.

Not sure what sort of contract we’d offer him probably 1 year plus a 1 year option. He’d have to like Suffolk at a guess. I wonder if Quaner having been released by Huddersfield might be an option Lambert would go for. He seemed to like it here before.
Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 12:24 - Jul 29 with 3973 viewsBlueBadger

You've missed one key thing. We still have Lambert in charge.

That makes it significantly less promising.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 12:28 - Jul 29 with 3970 viewsHorsham

Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 12:24 - Jul 29 by BlueBadger

You've missed one key thing. We still have Lambert in charge.

That makes it significantly less promising.

I’ve no hope for that changing therefor I’m leaving that fight for young firebrands such as yourself. But remember Bishop is back next month!
Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 13:04 - Jul 29 with 3924 viewsTieDyedIn95

Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 09:54 - Jul 29 by Steve_M

Praise be to Evans. Let's get the banners out for League Two, much more fun going down then up!!

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 13:08 - Jul 29 with 3920 viewsHorsham

Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 13:04 - Jul 29 by TieDyedIn95

Praise be to Evans. Let's get the banners out for League Two, much more fun going down then up!!

What’s your beef with him. Funding or mismanagement? If you can find me any Ipswich owner ever who has funded the club to the extent Evans has I’ll be bowled over.
Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 13:26 - Jul 29 with 3885 viewsChrisd

A fair and honest assessment Horsham. I'm really interested to see whether PL has learnt from last season, so I'm quite intrigued to give him and his coaching staff the opportunity to see what changes are made. Certainly systematically he needs to stop over- thinking things and work on a couple of systems to suit the players he has. I got the impression he was trying to be too clever and came unstuck ultimately. Last season, he seemed to accommodate players and put square pegs in round holes. This coming season I hope he is stronger and more ruthless with his selections and plays players in positions where they are going to make an impact and are best suited. He doesn't seem great with too much choice. He seemed to select players ala AJ because he's AJ, not because he was the best fit. Our squad is so unbalanced, a couple of positions are top heavy with players, where others are lightweight. Although I still feel that we do have some good players, we've also got too many average players in our squad too.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2020 15:01]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 13:47 - Jul 29 with 3842 viewsKitman

Has your Town joined up with Crawley yet?

Blog: [Blog] Interesting Start to the New Season

Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 14:06 - Jul 29 with 3819 viewsHorsham

Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 13:47 - Jul 29 by Kitman

Has your Town joined up with Crawley yet?

Getting there . Locals are getting ready with their pitchforks to stop it. Crawley has taken a real beating from covid with Gatwick and everything.

Plenty of parking if we get to play Palace again.
Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 14:12 - Jul 29 with 3807 viewsmonty_radio

Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 10:11 - Jul 29 by Keno

I did a short teaching practice at a comp in Tarring many years ago. I remember carting these very unwilling Y11 kids (who up until the previous year had supposed they would be leaving in Y10) around an estate on some sort of community help project. When we walked up the front path curtains would twitch, and residents, once they had espied who it was we had in tow, would resolutely leave doorbells unanswered.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 14:33 - Jul 29 with 3789 viewsHorsham

Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 13:26 - Jul 29 by Chrisd

A fair and honest assessment Horsham. I'm really interested to see whether PL has learnt from last season, so I'm quite intrigued to give him and his coaching staff the opportunity to see what changes are made. Certainly systematically he needs to stop over- thinking things and work on a couple of systems to suit the players he has. I got the impression he was trying to be too clever and came unstuck ultimately. Last season, he seemed to accommodate players and put square pegs in round holes. This coming season I hope he is stronger and more ruthless with his selections and plays players in positions where they are going to make an impact and are best suited. He doesn't seem great with too much choice. He seemed to select players ala AJ because he's AJ, not because he was the best fit. Our squad is so unbalanced, a couple of positions are top heavy with players, where others are lightweight. Although I still feel that we do have some good players, we've also got too many average players in our squad too.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2020 15:01]

He made some odd choices. In hindsight the decision to sell Harrison looks very odd given he was the only striker on the books who suited his preferred formation.

He seemed to tinker with the formation to suit the players he had which in a controlled way isn’t a bad thing but can anyone say the way he went about it was controlled?

I’m willing (especially given I have no choice) to back him for another go and hope he gets it right. Although I’d not object to a change of management.
Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 15:22 - Jul 29 with 3740 viewsKitman

Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 14:06 - Jul 29 by Horsham

Getting there . Locals are getting ready with their pitchforks to stop it. Crawley has taken a real beating from covid with Gatwick and everything.

Plenty of parking if we get to play Palace again.

Keep Rusper rural...

Blog: [Blog] Interesting Start to the New Season

Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 15:36 - Jul 29 with 3719 viewsSwansea_Blue

I suspect we'll delay any signings as long as possible to delay wage commitments as long as possible. OK we have a start date to work to, but I wouldn't be surprised if that gets pushed back.

We'll also be waiting to see what does happen with Downes and Woolfie, as although the interest so far (in Downes) is reportedly lower that we'd except I'm sure there will be more discussions on that.

Unless Lambert gets back some basics around shape I suspect individual players are not going to make any difference. We looked all over the place last year, especially on the ball.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 16:44 - Jul 29 with 3676 viewsHorsham

Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 15:22 - Jul 29 by Kitman

Keep Rusper rural...

Absolutely...the day Rusper gets on mains gas all civilisation ends!
Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 20:05 - Jul 29 with 3557 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Putting Together Various Bits I Have Read And Observed on 10:30 - Jul 29 by Horsham

We are Ipswich. We are massive. We are everywhere:).

Footnote- I did see a large man in a Norwich shirt in a pub garden last night...

He just went to the wrong Yarmouth

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024