Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jackson's off then 09:09 - Jul 30 with 18874 viewsportmanking

Explains the interest in Jonson Clarke-Harris too.

Sell Jackson for £2m and buy Clarke-Harris (£500-600k) and Charlie Wyke (£300k) and pocket the rest. We get a like-for-like replacement who is perhaps even more prolific than Jackson, as well as an additional physical presence up top. Seems like good business to me.
Jackson's off then on 10:52 - Jul 30 with 3440 viewsHerbivore

Jackson's off then on 10:48 - Jul 30 by TheTrueBlue1878

I tend to agree, I like Garbutt as well, and technically he's obviously a good footballer, I think his best position is actually a wing back. I think he does well at LM in that 4-4-2, but when you move to a 4-2-3-1 for example, that front 3 in behind the striker have to have some flair and creative spark and I'm not so sure he's in that mould, same with the 4-3-3.

Would be in no rush to sign him permanently, especially as I think he'll be on good money.

I would much rather sign players that fit the system, rather than fit the system around players, almost shoehorn players into a system. Probably why I wouldn't begrudge if Jackson were to leave, I don't think he fits into Lambert's long term system preference.

What is Lambert's long term system preference? Last season we mainly alternated between 4-4-2 and 3-5-2, both largely unsuccessfully.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Jackson's off then on 10:58 - Jul 30 with 3418 viewsParky

Jackson's off then on 10:48 - Jul 30 by Herbivore

Being involved in circa 20 goals in three quarters of a season in League 1 makes you worth £2m, especially when you factor in that he's still mid 20s, has ridiculous pace, and has 2 years left to run on his contract here. We'd be stupid to let him go for six figures.

I agree it would probably be silly to sell, however if Jackson doesn’t want to sign a new deal and wants another chance in the Championship you know full well how that will pan out.

Looking at past transfers from League One, players very rarely go for anything more than £2m unless they’re leagues top scorers or young talents. That’s not factoring in we’re still in a pandemic.
Jackson's off then on 11:22 - Jul 30 with 3383 viewsHorsham

Jackson's off then on 10:52 - Jul 30 by Herbivore

What is Lambert's long term system preference? Last season we mainly alternated between 4-4-2 and 3-5-2, both largely unsuccessfully.

According to Watson he came into the club espousing 4-3-3 which i think may have been a more 4-2-3-1 variant. It’s all very confusing!

Edit - I quite like me the 4-4-2 / 3-5-2 stuff. Made me all moist about the good old Burley days.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2020 11:25]
Jackson's off then on 11:25 - Jul 30 with 3373 viewsPhilTWTD

Jackson's off then on 11:22 - Jul 30 by Horsham

According to Watson he came into the club espousing 4-3-3 which i think may have been a more 4-2-3-1 variant. It’s all very confusing!

Edit - I quite like me the 4-4-2 / 3-5-2 stuff. Made me all moist about the good old Burley days.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2020 11:25]

4-2-3-1 was definitely the system he came in wanting to play. Last season, if I remember rightly, we started 4-4-2 and while we were winning games, we weren't controlling them so we switched to 3-5-2 to get another body in central midfield while keeping the two strikers.

That worked for a while, then there was a bit of tinkering to find a system which worked when things went awry before a return to 3-5-2 - with Sheffield United type overlapping centre-halves - after the post-match conflab at Lincoln.
Jackson's off then on 11:31 - Jul 30 with 3352 viewsHorsham

Jackson's off then on 11:25 - Jul 30 by PhilTWTD

4-2-3-1 was definitely the system he came in wanting to play. Last season, if I remember rightly, we started 4-4-2 and while we were winning games, we weren't controlling them so we switched to 3-5-2 to get another body in central midfield while keeping the two strikers.

That worked for a while, then there was a bit of tinkering to find a system which worked when things went awry before a return to 3-5-2 - with Sheffield United type overlapping centre-halves - after the post-match conflab at Lincoln.

I know it was only just one game but I loved the Burton set up.
3-5-2 at first then Earl moved from left side centre to left back, Garbutt from
LWB to LM and Judge from 10 to RM, imagine Herman, Clapham and Scowy instead.’ That felt like the closest we’ve come to a Burley team in a long while.
Jackson's off then on 11:32 - Jul 30 with 3343 viewsHerbivore

Jackson's off then on 10:58 - Jul 30 by Parky

I agree it would probably be silly to sell, however if Jackson doesn’t want to sign a new deal and wants another chance in the Championship you know full well how that will pan out.

Looking at past transfers from League One, players very rarely go for anything more than £2m unless they’re leagues top scorers or young talents. That’s not factoring in we’re still in a pandemic.

He's got 2 years remaining on his contract. We won't be selling him for 6 figures. I think only one or two players in the league were involved in more goals than Jackson when you look at goals and assists combined. £2m is far from outrageous for him even in the current climate.

Jackson's off then on 11:40 - Jul 30 with 3304 viewsHerbivore

Jackson's off then on 11:25 - Jul 30 by PhilTWTD

The switch to 3-5-2 initially was where things started to go a bit south imo. It came in late on in our unbeaten start, we had to switch away from it against Tranmere after a dire first 40 minutes and it only really worked okay at Fleetwood. We got done by Accrington playing that system. We then had Lambingo for a few months before settling on 3-5-2 again in January, which worked okay for a handful of games before we turned rubbish again. I think it's fair to say Lambert has no real idea what shape or system he wants to operate with or how to make it work.

Jackson's off then on 11:50 - Jul 30 with 3288 viewshaynes_toe1

Would be daft to sell Jackson. Really good wide forward at this level and his pace means he's always going to scare some.
Login to get fewer ads

Jackson's off then on 11:50 - Jul 30 with 3288 viewsHorsham

Jackson's off then on 11:40 - Jul 30 by Herbivore

The switch to 3-5-2 initially was where things started to go a bit south imo. It came in late on in our unbeaten start, we had to switch away from it against Tranmere after a dire first 40 minutes and it only really worked okay at Fleetwood. We got done by Accrington playing that system. We then had Lambingo for a few months before settling on 3-5-2 again in January, which worked okay for a handful of games before we turned rubbish again. I think it's fair to say Lambert has no real idea what shape or system he wants to operate with or how to make it work.

I don’t really see a problem in the team being drilled in a couple of systems like they were under HB for the most part but Lambert veered wildly in systems, personnel and playing style. It was a mess and makes no sense especially given he came in at first and stamped a clear style and system in the relegation season. At that point he seemed to have a principle he was prepared to stick to.
Jackson's off then on 11:59 - Jul 30 with 3267 viewsTieDyedIn95

Jackson's off then on 09:12 - Jul 30 by StokieBlue

Much maligned by certain elements of the support base last season without actual evidence that stood up to any scrutiny.

SB

Other than that hissy fit and PR Paul lack of professionalism sending off he got himself (and suspended for) for no reason.... at a crucial time in the season. I'd say he deserved a lot of stick for that because it was absolutely pathetic, it wasn't quite as pathetic PR Paul fake fight with the Nodge bench pathetic, but you can see where the inspiration comes from. What was he thinking or doing? Did he fancy a few games off?

That aside, he did alright last season. Can we as a club do better than him? Absolutely not. He's a better player at this level than Norwood is. Will we sell? Is water wet....

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Jackson's off then on 12:03 - Jul 30 with 3252 viewsSuperCoops

I do laugh when I read a supporter of their team giving a valuation of their own players. Safe bet is often to cut their valuation in half and a bit more.
Jackson's off then on 12:04 - Jul 30 with 3244 viewsSuperblue95

Jackson's off then on 09:10 - Jul 30 by Kieran_Knows

Did see this on a Coventry forum.
https://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/kayden-jackson.120443/
[Post edited 30 Jul 2020 9:10]

Did I really just read someone on there describe Will Keane as good in the air?

Bloke couldn’t jump over a skipping rope if his life depended on it.

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Jackson's off then on 14:58 - Jul 30 with 3171 viewsParky

Jackson's off then on 11:32 - Jul 30 by Herbivore

He's got 2 years remaining on his contract. We won't be selling him for 6 figures. I think only one or two players in the league were involved in more goals than Jackson when you look at goals and assists combined. £2m is far from outrageous for him even in the current climate.

Contracts mean absolutely nothing in football anymore, if he says he wants to challenge himself to another go in the Championship, he will be sold.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/transferrekorde/wettbewerb/GB3/plus//

I can’t find many, if any at all; 25 year-olds who play for a mid table club going for £2m. Full of promising youngsters and prolific goal scorers in which Jackson is neither.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2020 14:59]
Jackson's off then on 15:05 - Jul 30 with 3168 viewsPhilTWTD

Jackson's off then on 12:03 - Jul 30 by SuperCoops

I do laugh when I read a supporter of their team giving a valuation of their own players. Safe bet is often to cut their valuation in half and a bit more.

While I'd certainly question whether anyone would offer £2 million for Jackson, I'm not sure Town would take much south of that having paid £1.6 million for him a couple of years ago.
Jackson's off then on 15:07 - Jul 30 with 3156 viewsCaptMickMills

No way get £2m in current climate. Max probably £1m so do we sell at a significant loss.

I would keep him as 11 goals and 7 assists in truncated season.

I hope we play 2 up front as need as many goalscorers on.pitch as we can fit in.
Jackson's off then on 16:02 - Jul 30 with 3093 viewsHerbivore

Jackson's off then on 14:58 - Jul 30 by Parky

Contracts mean absolutely nothing in football anymore, if he says he wants to challenge himself to another go in the Championship, he will be sold.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/transferrekorde/wettbewerb/GB3/plus//

I can’t find many, if any at all; 25 year-olds who play for a mid table club going for £2m. Full of promising youngsters and prolific goal scorers in which Jackson is neither.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2020 14:59]

Plenty of mid 20s players in there going for around £2m. Jackson was involved in 18 goals (goals and assists) in 36 games. That's a very good return. He's got 2 years on his deal, which you may think is meaningless but it means we aren't pressured to sell below his value even if he's keen to go. We turned down a £7m bid for McGoldrick and £3.5m for an untested Mings previously and both wanted to move. We wouldn't sell for six figures, and rightly so.

Jackson's off then on 18:00 - Jul 30 with 3028 viewsParky

Jackson's off then on 16:02 - Jul 30 by Herbivore

Plenty of mid 20s players in there going for around £2m. Jackson was involved in 18 goals (goals and assists) in 36 games. That's a very good return. He's got 2 years on his deal, which you may think is meaningless but it means we aren't pressured to sell below his value even if he's keen to go. We turned down a £7m bid for McGoldrick and £3.5m for an untested Mings previously and both wanted to move. We wouldn't sell for six figures, and rightly so.

Well there isn’t.

Kayden Jackson has scored 15 goals in 74 games for Ipswich. If we were signing somebody with those statistics I’m sure you would be one saying that’s pretty poor.

You’re living in a fantasy land if you think somebody is paying £2m for Kayden Jackson when you can get so much better for a lot less.

Your points regarding Mings and Mcgoldrick are pretty pointless considering we weren’t a mid-table League One team at the time.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2020 18:01]
Jackson's off then on 18:11 - Jul 30 with 2993 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Jackson's off then on 18:00 - Jul 30 by Parky

Well there isn’t.

Kayden Jackson has scored 15 goals in 74 games for Ipswich. If we were signing somebody with those statistics I’m sure you would be one saying that’s pretty poor.

You’re living in a fantasy land if you think somebody is paying £2m for Kayden Jackson when you can get so much better for a lot less.

Your points regarding Mings and Mcgoldrick are pretty pointless considering we weren’t a mid-table League One team at the time.

Of course he is living in fantasy, rarely shows any real football understanding.

I must, I think your points on McGoldrick / Bings are very good ones as a reflection of where we were as a club at the time, in comparison to where we are now, you can't really compare the two scenarios together can you.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Jackson's off then on 18:28 - Jul 30 with 2970 viewsParky

Jackson's off then on 18:11 - Jul 30 by TheTrueBlue1878

Of course he is living in fantasy, rarely shows any real football understanding.

I must, I think your points on McGoldrick / Bings are very good ones as a reflection of where we were as a club at the time, in comparison to where we are now, you can't really compare the two scenarios together can you.

Think your bottom paragraph is the point for me. You see Kieffer Moore will be moving on for about £3m after an average season in the Championship, then the best player in this league by an absolute mile last season (Toney) is linked with a move for £4m.

I’m not by any means disputing the fact Jackson was important for us last season, but factoring in the fact he didn’t do very well in the Championship last time round. Also, if he doesn’t want to sign a contract now, I highly doubt he’s going to want to in a years time - therefore will be worth considerably less.

FWIW, I hope he signs a new deal and fires us back up; however, in current times I very very highly doubt anybody would pay anywhere near £2m for him.
Jackson's off then on 18:36 - Jul 30 with 2961 viewsHerbivore

Jackson's off then on 18:00 - Jul 30 by Parky

Well there isn’t.

The Mings and McGoldrick point isn't remotely pointless. We were a Championship side that rebuffed bids from Prem teams that were substantial relative to our budget. We're now a League 1 side hypothetically considering an offer from the league above. It's no different in terms of our decision making or how the player might feel about the move, it's just all shifted down a level. As has the whole club.

Your list contained several players in their mid 20s who had gone for around £2m or more. Jackson contributed to 18 goals in 36 games last season and he has incredible pace and a good work ethic. If you think he's only worth six figures at this point then I can only say I think you're wrong and I imagine so do the club and any club considering a bid for him.

Jackson's off then on 18:37 - Jul 30 with 2958 viewsHerbivore

Jackson's off then on 18:11 - Jul 30 by TheTrueBlue1878

Mate, you are solid bottom 2 in terms of football knowledge on this site. Pipe ye down.

Jackson's off then on 18:47 - Jul 30 with 2951 viewsParky

Jackson's off then on 18:36 - Jul 30 by Herbivore

The Mings and McGoldrick point isn't remotely pointless. We were a Championship side that rebuffed bids from Prem teams that were substantial relative to our budget. We're now a League 1 side hypothetically considering an offer from the league above. It's no different in terms of our decision making or how the player might feel about the move, it's just all shifted down a level. As has the whole club.

Your list contained several players in their mid 20s who had gone for around £2m or more. Jackson contributed to 18 goals in 36 games last season and he has incredible pace and a good work ethic. If you think he's only worth six figures at this point then I can only say I think you're wrong and I imagine so do the club and any club considering a bid for him.

“It’s no different in terms of our decision” - Behave. Firstly, we didn’t sell Mcgoldrick and Mings as we were a very stable Championship team who was chasing promotion to the Premier League. Take note, the Premier League the biggest league in the world which you just said is no different to the Championship. Seconds, Jackson is nowhere near or will never be anywhere near as good a player as Tyrone Mings or David Mcgoldrick.

Also note, I’ve not once said Jackson is worth a six-figure fee, I’ve stated that is what we’d likely get in the current environment taking into consideration he doesn’t want to sign a new deal.

“Several players on my list” - Show me 5 strikers 25 or older who have moved to the Championship for £2m from League One scoring 11 or less goals in a season. I’ll be waiting.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2020 18:48]
Jackson's off then on 19:31 - Jul 30 with 2909 viewsHerbivore

Jackson's off then on 18:47 - Jul 30 by Parky

“It’s no different in terms of our decision” - Behave. Firstly, we didn’t sell Mcgoldrick and Mings as we were a very stable Championship team who was chasing promotion to the Premier League. Take note, the Premier League the biggest league in the world which you just said is no different to the Championship. Seconds, Jackson is nowhere near or will never be anywhere near as good a player as Tyrone Mings or David Mcgoldrick.

Also note, I’ve not once said Jackson is worth a six-figure fee, I’ve stated that is what we’d likely get in the current environment taking into consideration he doesn’t want to sign a new deal.

“Several players on my list” - Show me 5 strikers 25 or older who have moved to the Championship for £2m from League One scoring 11 or less goals in a season. I’ll be waiting.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2020 18:48]

I'm behaving perfectly well thanks.

Jackson isn't as good as those two, but then Championship clubs who might go in for him aren't as good as Leicester and Palace were. It's all relative. We were competing to go to the Prem, yes, we're now trying to go back up to the Championship which is a step towards getting into the Prem. We aren't gong to sell one of our best performers last season for six figures when they are just approaching their prime.

You have to keep changing and narrowing your criteria regarding players who have moved for £2m plus. Next it'll be name me a player with the initials KJ who is on that list. There are players on there in their mid 20s who hadn't done much if anything above League 1 level before. Jackson is coming off a good season, only 2 or 3 players contributed towards more goals than him in League 1 last season and they've gone or will be going for a fair bit more than £2m.

Jackson's off then on 19:33 - Jul 30 with 2902 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Jackson's off then on 18:37 - Jul 30 by Herbivore

Mate, you are solid bottom 2 in terms of football knowledge on this site. Pipe ye down.

Oooo you're bottom 2 mate...

HAHAHA!!!!

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Jackson's off then on 19:36 - Jul 30 with 2893 viewsHerbivore

Jackson's off then on 19:33 - Jul 30 by TheTrueBlue1878

Oooo you're bottom 2 mate...

HAHAHA!!!!

I was being generous.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024