Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa 15:17 - Jul 30 with 4682 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Now let me start by saying I love Akinfenwa. I love how unlikely his longevity is, I love how different he is, I love that he can still finish and I love the guys personality.

But …

Man, does he get away with absolute murder.

At Portman Road he was penalised (and I counted them because I'd noticed this with him before ELEVEN fouls. He was yellow carded in injury time after the 11th foul committed.

Other players are booked for 3 or 4 fouls as persistent fouling. We've all seen the refs point to there, there and there and let's be honest. They couldn't remember more another there if they tried. Nobody gets 10 chances.

Now either the guy is using his strength and body and there is no foul and it's just a physical advantage or he is fouling people and should be booked after the third one.

I wondered if anyone else has noticed this with him. I've seen a number of Wycombe games he's been involved in and he must commit a foul every 5-10 minutes he's on the pitch easily. It's astonishing.

In which case why isn't he being penalised like other players would. Refs can't really be intimated surely? Most refs are smaller than every player on the pitch as it is.

Just seems incredible someone can commit that many fouls and it's not like you can fail to notice it's him committing them all.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 15:22 - Jul 30 with 4629 viewsOldsmoker

If I was a ref and Akinfenwa fouled someone I would keep that card in my pocket until the 90th minute and then flash the card, blow the whistle and leg it to the dressing room.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 15:24 - Jul 30 with 4607 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 15:22 - Jul 30 by Oldsmoker

If I was a ref and Akinfenwa fouled someone I would keep that card in my pocket until the 90th minute and then flash the card, blow the whistle and leg it to the dressing room.

Lol.

Surely that doesn't come into it though. Akinfenwa strikes me as a gent. He's hardly going to go full Di Canio at the ref.

No ref should ever be intimated by the players or the crowd. Especially Jeff Winter at St Andrews in a League Cup Semi Final.

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 15:26 - Jul 30 with 4585 viewsIpswichKnight

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 15:24 - Jul 30 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Lol.

Surely that doesn't come into it though. Akinfenwa strikes me as a gent. He's hardly going to go full Di Canio at the ref.

No ref should ever be intimated by the players or the crowd. Especially Jeff Winter at St Andrews in a League Cup Semi Final.

Why was it hostile, I hardly noticed the crowd as was too busy making sure I wasn't being hit by anything ( I don't think they took it too well when we scored ! ) .
The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 15:28 - Jul 30 with 4577 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The data on WhoScored.com shows that he committed 2.3 fouls per game on average in 2019/20

As a comparison, James Norwood committed 2.5 per game...

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 15:38 - Jul 30 with 4518 viewsStenvict

The difference is that Akinfenwa's fouls are usually a little nudge on the defender which you wouldn't deem worthy of a yellow card. Any other player getting a yellow for persistent fouling will have made a slide tackle, I'm sure. I do agree with you, and think he gets away with a lot, frustratingly.

Poll: What will be announced first?

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 15:51 - Jul 30 with 4483 viewsGarv

I reckon it's the type of thing a lot of 'big' strikers get away with, e.g Crouch.

They commit a lot of fouls but are probably given the benefit of the doubt because they can't help how big they are.

A successful shoulder barge done by Akinfenwa vs one done by Freddie Sears probably gets treated differently.

Also, on the subject - he's the most annoying bloke in football. Not sure I've seen many more cringe worthy things than his Wembley interview. 'Hit me up on WhatsApp Klopp' - grow up
[Post edited 30 Jul 2020 15:53]

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 16:15 - Jul 30 with 4413 viewslongtimefan

I agree he does commit more than his fair share of fouls but I think you could argue that very few players get cautioned for persistent fouling for the type of challenge he is usually called for. It’s usually an aerial challenge between two players and unless it involves elbows it’s generally viewed as Just one of those things that happen. Similarly it’s pretty rare to see a central defender cautioned for repeated fouls in aerial duels.
The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 16:56 - Jul 30 with 4348 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 15:28 - Jul 30 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

The data on WhoScored.com shows that he committed 2.3 fouls per game on average in 2019/20

As a comparison, James Norwood committed 2.5 per game...

He normally only comes on for 10 minutes at the end doesn't he?

So 2.3 fouls in those 10 minutes seems about right.

Login to get fewer ads

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 16:58 - Jul 30 with 4344 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 16:15 - Jul 30 by longtimefan

I agree he does commit more than his fair share of fouls but I think you could argue that very few players get cautioned for persistent fouling for the type of challenge he is usually called for. It’s usually an aerial challenge between two players and unless it involves elbows it’s generally viewed as Just one of those things that happen. Similarly it’s pretty rare to see a central defender cautioned for repeated fouls in aerial duels.

Yeah good point (made also by another poster).

I guess I just see it that if you keep making the same kind of foul after being warned you should be booked. He knows what he is doing and, even when warned, carries on. That for me should be a yellow.

I suppose the sort of fouls you do tot up to get a yellow are the type you should be getting a straight yellow for without the totting up!

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 17:10 - Jul 30 with 4308 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 16:56 - Jul 30 by WarkTheWarkITFC

He normally only comes on for 10 minutes at the end doesn't he?

So 2.3 fouls in those 10 minutes seems about right.

Started 20 games

For per 90 he averages 3.6 fouls, compared to 3.3 for Norwood - so slightly more but not a lot in it, 1 more foul for each 3 full games

So something of an exaggeration in your OP

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 17:15 - Jul 30 with 4285 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 17:10 - Jul 30 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Started 20 games

For per 90 he averages 3.6 fouls, compared to 3.3 for Norwood - so slightly more but not a lot in it, 1 more foul for each 3 full games

So something of an exaggeration in your OP

Which is a hell of a lot is it not?

Average fouls awarded per side is something like 11 per game? So that's one per player. 3.6 fouls is a huge amount for one person and being slightly more than Norwood isn't saying much as he's a dirty, fouling so and so too.

Care to provide the link to these stats so I can see where they rank in the division?

I wonder how many yellow cards players in the division have per foul.

I said it felt like he committed loads of fouls each game. It was 11 against us. 3.6 fouls is loads per game. It's about 3 times what it should be and he's not even a defender or midfielder putting tackles in.

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 17:33 - Jul 30 with 4245 viewsDarth_Koont

On a side note, he did impress me with a particular talent. I've never seen a player so dominate the defenders under the high ball and he barely got off the ground himself.

He's certainly not tall but he just controlled the space around him and outmuscled the defenders from even getting into the air themselves.

I don't ever think I've seen someone do that before - at least not throughout 90 minutes.

Pronouns: He/Him

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 18:13 - Jul 30 with 4172 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 17:15 - Jul 30 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Which is a hell of a lot is it not?

Average fouls awarded per side is something like 11 per game? So that's one per player. 3.6 fouls is a huge amount for one person and being slightly more than Norwood isn't saying much as he's a dirty, fouling so and so too.

Care to provide the link to these stats so I can see where they rank in the division?

I wonder how many yellow cards players in the division have per foul.

I said it felt like he committed loads of fouls each game. It was 11 against us. 3.6 fouls is loads per game. It's about 3 times what it should be and he's not even a defender or midfielder putting tackles in.

It’s a decent amount but it’s not a foul every 5-10 minutes is it?

He’s 4th in the division for players that have played 10+ games (Norwood is 8th), so again a decent amount but hardly exceptional. Stats as per WhoScored as stated in my original post

He didn’t commit 11 fouls against us either

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 18:28 - Jul 30 with 4130 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 18:13 - Jul 30 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

It’s a decent amount but it’s not a foul every 5-10 minutes is it?

He’s 4th in the division for players that have played 10+ games (Norwood is 8th), so again a decent amount but hardly exceptional. Stats as per WhoScored as stated in my original post

He didn’t commit 11 fouls against us either

I sat and counted them.

So however the stats have been recorded and whether they’ve allocated a foul to someone else or not counted it I don’t know.

But I counted every time he was penalised. It was 11 times.

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 19:53 - Jul 30 with 4036 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 18:28 - Jul 30 by WarkTheWarkITFC

I sat and counted them.

So however the stats have been recorded and whether they’ve allocated a foul to someone else or not counted it I don’t know.

But I counted every time he was penalised. It was 11 times.

Well you can’t count then as he didn’t make 11 fouls

I do love the idea that you were sat there tallying them up from the first minute though

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 22:00 - Jul 30 with 3926 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 19:53 - Jul 30 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Well you can’t count then as he didn’t make 11 fouls

I do love the idea that you were sat there tallying them up from the first minute though

And of course there is absolutely no way the statistics could be wrong is there.

I sat and counted them from the first minute. There were eleven of them.

It’s a bit of a random thing to disagree over but I’ll stick to my guns because I actually counted them so I couldn’t give a toss what the stats say lol.

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 09:55 - Jul 31 with 3677 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 22:00 - Jul 30 by WarkTheWarkITFC

And of course there is absolutely no way the statistics could be wrong is there.

I sat and counted them from the first minute. There were eleven of them.

It’s a bit of a random thing to disagree over but I’ll stick to my guns because I actually counted them so I couldn’t give a toss what the stats say lol.

It is, but then it’s also a rather random thing to make up

You definitely sound like someone that doesn’t give a toss

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 10:08 - Jul 31 with 3664 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 09:55 - Jul 31 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

It is, but then it’s also a rather random thing to make up

You definitely sound like someone that doesn’t give a toss

Because of course anyone who states they don’t care has to care really lol.

You’ve cared enough to keep replying.

I sat and counted the fouls. Whether you believe me or not and whether the stats are right or not is inconsequential.

It’s not important but I’m equally not going to suggest I’m wrong because I sat there and counted them at the time. That’s how many fouls he committed and whether I’m right or wrong on that has no bearing on anything.

I’m just right on this occasion regardless of what you choose to accept.

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 10:14 - Jul 31 with 3644 viewsitfcjoe

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 10:08 - Jul 31 by WarkTheWarkITFC

I sat and counted the fouls. Whether you believe me or not and whether the stats are right or not is inconsequential.

It’s not important but I’m equally not going to suggest I’m wrong because I sat there and counted them at the time. That’s how many fouls he committed and whether I’m right or wrong on that has no bearing on anything.

The BBC live text from the night has it as

8 fouls
1 handball
1 offside

Strikers do get away with more, Kevin Davies always used to be the biggest fouler in the league - but I remember that night being ridiculous as they were just so blatant over and over again.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 10:26 - Jul 31 with 3601 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 10:08 - Jul 31 by WarkTheWarkITFC

That wasn’t how many fouls he committed though, quite clearly

Another 5 made up paragraphs of not caring

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 10:29 - Jul 31 with 3588 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 10:14 - Jul 31 by itfcjoe

The BBC live text from the night has it as

8 fouls
1 handball
1 offside

Strikers do get away with more, Kevin Davies always used to be the biggest fouler in the league - but I remember that night being ridiculous as they were just so blatant over and over again.

Strikers tend to top the foul list, particularly at the lower levels. It’s the nature of the game challenging for aerial balls etc - and a massive misconception that it should be defenders and midfielders topping those lists

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 11:10 - Jul 31 with 3528 viewsRadlett_blue

The dirty league table and Adibayo Akinfenwa on 15:51 - Jul 30 by Garv

I reckon it's the type of thing a lot of 'big' strikers get away with, e.g Crouch.

They commit a lot of fouls but are probably given the benefit of the doubt because they can't help how big they are.

A successful shoulder barge done by Akinfenwa vs one done by Freddie Sears probably gets treated differently.

Also, on the subject - he's the most annoying bloke in football. Not sure I've seen many more cringe worthy things than his Wembley interview. 'Hit me up on WhatsApp Klopp' - grow up
[Post edited 30 Jul 2020 15:53]

I think Akinfenwa benefits from the English way of tolerating more physical contact. Most of his "fouls" are minimal & so he usually escapes yellow until a ref loses patience. He only collected 4 yellows in 32 games last season.
One of the reasons Peter Crouch was often ineffective for England (despite his goal scoring feats against minnows) was that the way he challenged for the ball in the air invariably led to a foul being given against him by European referees.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024