Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West 21:34 - Jul 30 with 27437 viewsElderGrizzly

And one that will be ignored by those it is imposed on
New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 23:14 - Jul 30 with 3724 views26_Paz

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 21:59 - Jul 30 by SpruceMoose

Because people can't be trusted to do the right thing - like not jet off to Spain the second it's feasible to do so.

I can’t go anymore and have lost my money ... so ... you can’t put that one back on me now!

The Paz Man

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 23:15 - Jul 30 with 3716 views26_Paz

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 22:02 - Jul 30 by StokieBlue

Why do you think it will be obeyed?

SB

Don’t know, not sure it will, guess people can’t take much more house arrest ...

The Paz Man

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 23:17 - Jul 30 with 3710 views26_Paz

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 22:16 - Jul 30 by SpruceMoose

Exactly this. My in laws have taken to inventing doctors appointments so that they can take grandma out on day trips from her assisted living community. It's fine apparently, as they don't have the virus.

My grandma is in a care home. All visits are banned but she needs to go to the hospital next week and the home asked my mum to take her ... don’t get that!

The Paz Man

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 23:22 - Jul 30 with 3689 viewsStokieBlue

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 23:15 - Jul 30 by 26_Paz

Don’t know, not sure it will, guess people can’t take much more house arrest ...

"House arrest".

You really are a fool on here sometimes.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 23:26 - Jul 30 with 3683 viewsRyorry

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 22:44 - Jul 30 by ElderGrizzly

Indeed. They’ve now reversed their decision and you can meet in a pub with hundreds of other people, but not in your home with 2 others

So you can't meet someone from outside your family in your garden even if it's half an acre, but you can meet them inside a crowded pub?!

Surely I must have got that wrong ... surely? Even this Govt. aren't that barking mad ... are they?!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 23:30 - Jul 30 with 3664 views26_Paz

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 23:22 - Jul 30 by StokieBlue

"House arrest".

You really are a fool on here sometimes.

SB

Just saying there’s a limited amount of time people can stay in their houses. Whether that’s 6 days, 6 weeks, 6 months, whatever, at some point lockdown is no longer the right option ...

The Paz Man

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 23:33 - Jul 30 with 3653 viewsElderGrizzly

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 23:26 - Jul 30 by Ryorry

So you can't meet someone from outside your family in your garden even if it's half an acre, but you can meet them inside a crowded pub?!

Surely I must have got that wrong ... surely? Even this Govt. aren't that barking mad ... are they?!

They are sadly.
New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 23:38 - Jul 30 with 3629 viewsRyorry

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 23:33 - Jul 30 by ElderGrizzly

They are sadly.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 23:39 - Jul 30 with 3624 views26_Paz

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 23:33 - Jul 30 by ElderGrizzly

They are sadly.

Pubs are closed in those places, surely? If not even I’m starting to lose faith ...

The Paz Man

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 00:37 - Jul 31 with 3570 viewsSpruceMoose

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 23:30 - Jul 30 by 26_Paz

Just saying there’s a limited amount of time people can stay in their houses. Whether that’s 6 days, 6 weeks, 6 months, whatever, at some point lockdown is no longer the right option ...

Loving that Blitz spirit Paz.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 00:43 - Jul 31 with 3567 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 23:30 - Jul 30 by 26_Paz

The lethality of Covid is low for certain groups of society that is clear. So protecting the vulnerable and re-opening the economy cautiously is the right approach. A large proportion of the population and going to be way more affected by economic turmoil, mental health issues and more.

Lockdowns seem to be a bit reactionary once there is a spike and are not having the desired effect. Some interesting data from recent outbreak in Australia on this (Victoria I believe).
[Post edited 31 Jul 2020 0:51]
New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 05:54 - Jul 31 with 3517 viewssolomon

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 22:22 - Jul 30 by Libero

I’m so thankful that I live in the relative safe haven that is mid Suffolk.

Most people I see out and about are wearing masks and observing good social distance, if we can keep that up we will hopefully maintain the relative levels of safety and freedoms thar we currently enjoy.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2020 22:25]

As someone who lives in the safety of mid suffolk I agree, however considering the large percentage of multi generational homes in the areas that have been placed into lockdown, I’m reminded of how our part of the world is not as racially diverse as other parts of the country nor as densely populated. In our quiet corner of the UK lockdown and the subsequent social distancing guidelines have been relatively easy to follow.
New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 06:42 - Jul 31 with 3501 viewsLibero

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 22:43 - Jul 30 by Pinewoodblue

Colchester are coming up on the rails and could soon be in contention, as could a few other areas in Yorkshire.

Between mine and my wife’s job we’re privy to a bit of data that probably is available for the public but would take a bit of searching.

A lot of the missus family live in Essex, we’ve already discussed and decided that if they want to come here for a visit it won’t be indoors and we won’t be exchanging hugs or allowing them to hold our son, etc.
We’re in such a good position and have kept our social circle and movements so small since the loosening of restrictions, there’s no point jeopardising it just because they live in areas that appear to struggle to follow basic prevention/protection measures.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2020 7:18]
New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 06:48 - Jul 31 with 3498 viewsBluefish

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 21:59 - Jul 30 by SpruceMoose

Because people can't be trusted to do the right thing - like not jet off to Spain the second it's feasible to do so.

Surely it is OK to go or it isn't? You can't lift the restriction but then tell people they should not go.

Similar to the grassroots football guidance that is getting more farcical by the week. It is either safe to play or it isn't, the contradictory guidance makes it worse for people to follow

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 06:49 - Jul 31 with 3486 viewsm14_blue

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 23:14 - Jul 30 by 26_Paz

I can’t go anymore and have lost my money ... so ... you can’t put that one back on me now!

That’s rubbish.

No chance of getting the money back through your insurance?
New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 06:50 - Jul 31 with 3485 viewsLibero

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 23:26 - Jul 30 by Ryorry

*clears throat*

F*ck this government and f*ck anyone who voted for them.
New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 06:59 - Jul 31 with 3469 viewsLibero

You really do not get this, do you?

If it’s a choice between suffer personal hardship or perpetuate a deadly virus by not following basic prevention/protection measures then I’ll take the personal hardship every day.

I do what we’re doing in the hope that my son and nieces won’t have to live with this kind of restriction on their lives moving forwards.
The more people who decide to do otherwise the longer this will go on for, it’s as simple as that.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2020 7:00]
New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 07:10 - Jul 31 with 3454 viewsLibero

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 06:48 - Jul 31 by Bluefish

Surely it is OK to go or it isn't? You can't lift the restriction but then tell people they should not go.

Similar to the grassroots football guidance that is getting more farcical by the week. It is either safe to play or it isn't, the contradictory guidance makes it worse for people to follow

I really struggle to understand how grown men and women do not get this.

Yes, the government have said you’re allowed to go on holiday, but is it wise?
No. All the Science suggests we must keep social circles and movements to an absolute minimum and if we’re living in areas that are relatively safe, you can increase said bubbles, slowly and with caution.

That doesn’t involve getting on a plane full of strangers and flying to another country.

If you’re travelling door to door via your own transport and staying in a villa or similar then you may be able to keep interactions down and reduce your risk level to that of similar to just going to the shops (depending where you’re travelling, the rules in place in said country, who has stayed in the accommodation previously that you will be staying in and when, the infection measures/cleaning standards that the accommodation is held to between guests by it’s owners)

In short, it’s just not worth the risk.
People should be thankful to be experiencing the relative freedoms they currently are in such a tenuous situation, not getting all stroppy that “it’s not clear” if they’re allowed to fly away somewhere for a couple of weeks.

It is clear, people just don’t like the answer and hide behind this sh1tty governments purposefully vague and disingenuous guidance.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2020 7:16]
New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 07:17 - Jul 31 with 3440 viewsBluefish

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 07:10 - Jul 31 by Libero

I really struggle to understand how grown men and women do not get this.

Yes, the government have said you’re allowed to go on holiday, but is it wise?
No. All the Science suggests we must keep social circles and movements to an absolute minimum and if we’re living in areas that are relatively safe, you can increase said bubbles, slowly and with caution.

That doesn’t involve getting on a plane full of strangers and flying to another country.

If you’re travelling door to door via your own transport and staying in a villa or similar then you may be able to keep interactions down and reduce your risk level to that of similar to just going to the shops (depending where you’re travelling, the rules in place in said country, who has stayed in the accommodation previously that you will be staying in and when, the infection measures/cleaning standards that the accommodation is held to between guests by it’s owners)

In short, it’s just not worth the risk.
People should be thankful to be experiencing the relative freedoms they currently are in such a tenuous situation, not getting all stroppy that “it’s not clear” if they’re allowed to fly away somewhere for a couple of weeks.

It is clear, people just don’t like the answer and hide behind this sh1tty governments purposefully vague and disingenuous guidance.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2020 7:16]

If it isn't safe then we should be in a tighter lockdown. W either need to start returning or we don't. Do you think it is ok to use the train in this country or stay in UK accommodation? How about visiting our crowded pubs?

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 07:26 - Jul 31 with 3419 viewsLibero

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 07:17 - Jul 31 by Bluefish

If it isn't safe then we should be in a tighter lockdown. W either need to start returning or we don't. Do you think it is ok to use the train in this country or stay in UK accommodation? How about visiting our crowded pubs?

It’s all relative and depends on where you are in the country and how well the area is conforming to social distancing and other basic preventative and protective measures.

Me personally, the most risky thing I have done is take a train from Stowmarket to Ipswich, walked to Ribbans Park and met with 3 friends in a friends garden for a few drinks, even that I decided retrospectively probably isn’t the brightest thing to do, but I did take measures such as vigourots hand washing, anti baccing, wearing a mask (obviously) changing clothes between train>mates garden>mates garden>train>train to my house (yes, I took a Dolly size rucksack with me, full of clothes and plastic bags to double bag clothes after changing)

As I said earlier in the thread, I live in a really safe area where everything appears to be going okay and people appear to be conforming to the rules pretty well, but I can’t justify going to the pub at the moment. It only takes one berk in there to have not followed the rules, or to have seen someone who has not followed the rules, or to have seen someone who has seen someone who has not followed the rules, etc.

I’m forced into a level of risk every few day due to having to work in office 2/3 days a week, but again these are small circles and predictable movements.
Other than that the only people we see we vet carefully about what they’ve been up to, we judge their behaviours and movements and asses if we consider them a risk to our families health and the relative freedoms that were currently lucky enough to experience.
I appreciate that’s not an exact Science but if you’re diligent and ask the right questions for the right reasons our experience is that people respond well and respect the fact you’re thinking about not only your safety but theirs too.

The UK needs a reality check, we’re in a tenuous position, no amount of government bluster and bullsh1t is going to change that.

This is a pandemic, we should all be exercising caution.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2020 7:33]
New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 07:32 - Jul 31 with 3393 viewsBluefish

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 07:26 - Jul 31 by Libero

It’s all relative and depends on where you are in the country and how well the area is conforming to social distancing and other basic preventative and protective measures.

Me personally, the most risky thing I have done is take a train from Stowmarket to Ipswich, walked to Ribbans Park and met with 3 friends in a friends garden for a few drinks, even that I decided retrospectively probably isn’t the brightest thing to do, but I did take measures such as vigourots hand washing, anti baccing, wearing a mask (obviously) changing clothes between train>mates garden>mates garden>train>train to my house (yes, I took a Dolly size rucksack with me, full of clothes and plastic bags to double bag clothes after changing)

As I said earlier in the thread, I live in a really safe area where everything appears to be going okay and people appear to be conforming to the rules pretty well, but I can’t justify going to the pub at the moment. It only takes one berk in there to have not followed the rules, or to have seen someone who has not followed the rules, or to have seen someone who has seen someone who has not followed the rules, etc.

I’m forced into a level of risk every few day due to having to work in office 2/3 days a week, but again these are small circles and predictable movements.
Other than that the only people we see we vet carefully about what they’ve been up to, we judge their behaviours and movements and asses if we consider them a risk to our families health and the relative freedoms that were currently lucky enough to experience.
I appreciate that’s not an exact Science but if you’re diligent and ask the right questions for the right reasons our experience is that people respond well and respect the fact you’re thinking about not only your safety but theirs too.

The UK needs a reality check, we’re in a tenuous position, no amount of government bluster and bullsh1t is going to change that.

This is a pandemic, we should all be exercising caution.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2020 7:33]

It could be suggested that you visiting the office or taking a train to a friends house is just as risky and foolish as someone going on holiday

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 07:40 - Jul 31 with 3387 viewsLibero

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 07:32 - Jul 31 by Bluefish

It could be suggested that you visiting the office or taking a train to a friends house is just as risky and foolish as someone going on holiday

It could be, and in some circumstances they would be correct. Not in my circumstances however, but that’s irrelevant, I get your point.

I took very strong protective and preventative measures to visit my mate, but as I said in the post I mentioned it, retrospectively it was a risk that I shouldn’t have taken and I regret doing so, I certainly won’t be repeating it until certain factors change.

However, re:my work, my office has very strict measures in place and there is absolute bare minimum levels of staffing in a HUGE building. I also have to wear a mask all day, as does everyone else.
It’s also worth mentioning my office is 15 minutes from my house.
My visits to the office/working are essential not only for my families survival but for the survival of the people our company cares for, you can’t really judge that the same as someone getting stroppy about going abroad.

Small movements in small circles with protective and preventative measures being taken very seriously in an area of the country that is relatively safe.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2020 7:43]
New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 07:54 - Jul 31 with 3359 viewsBluefish

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 07:40 - Jul 31 by Libero

It could be, and in some circumstances they would be correct. Not in my circumstances however, but that’s irrelevant, I get your point.

I took very strong protective and preventative measures to visit my mate, but as I said in the post I mentioned it, retrospectively it was a risk that I shouldn’t have taken and I regret doing so, I certainly won’t be repeating it until certain factors change.

However, re:my work, my office has very strict measures in place and there is absolute bare minimum levels of staffing in a HUGE building. I also have to wear a mask all day, as does everyone else.
My visits to the office/working are essential not only for my families survival but for the survival of the people our company cares for, you can’t really judge that the same as someone getting stroppy about going abroad.

Small movements in small circles with protective and preventative measures being taken very seriously in an area of the country that is relatively safe.

Safer than many islands that people are visiting?

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 07:55 - Jul 31 with 3358 viewsDanTheMan

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 07:40 - Jul 31 by Libero

I would also note that, on the office front, people usually aren't given a choice in that. If your employer says you're coming in, unless you want to lose your job, you're going.

Going on holiday abroad is a complete choice.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 08:00 - Jul 31 with 3347 viewsLibero

New lockdown restrictions in Greater Manchester and North West on 07:54 - Jul 31 by Bluefish

Safer than many islands that people are visiting?

Statistically equal in many cases (although that’s not a pertinent point when judging this and of course without the risks involved with travel and crossing paths with tourists coming in from multiple areas across the world with their own unique set of circumstances regarding the virus.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024