Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? 21:45 - Jul 30 with 14221 viewsdominiciawful

I mean, truthfully?

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 19:09 - Jul 31 with 2115 viewsSwansea_Blue

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 08:13 - Jul 31 by Steve_M

The negativity from Town fans is completely overdone at present. Yes, last season was poor but the clear evidence was that teams with a clear game plan and way of playing, especially with better players, did well in the division.

There are obviously not questions over Lambert's judgement last season but he isn't a complete idiot, his managerial record isn't just due to a couple of good seasons at Norwich. Some perspective would be nice.

I can't believe you really think it's unjustified negativity. You're normally show pretty good judgement with most things.

Given the state of much of our last 2/3rds of the season, I think people are right to be worried. We were very poor (and not much better before that). There was virtually zero team cohesion on the ball, and we weren't a lot better off it.

If we continue as we were, we're in risk of relegation. Take the last 20 games or so for example: https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/competition:league-one/form/matches:20/type

I'm just hoping new season, new start and all that.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 19:32 - Jul 31 with 2103 viewsmarcus1642

I think we will get relegated.
Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 20:33 - Jul 31 with 2068 viewsEl_Fenix

I expect us to finish in the middle third. Play-off participation is possible if everything goes well and relegation is possible if everything goes badly.

ITFC shall rise like a phoenix from the ashes of its long decline!

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 12:52 - Aug 1 with 1992 viewsBlueForYou

If we sign a couple of strikers who actually score goals, then yes!
Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 13:00 - Aug 1 with 1983 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

K V-Yes.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 18:56 - Aug 1 with 1923 viewsdaisyisabaddog

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 21:46 - Jul 30 by gainsboroughblue

I cling to the close season of 1991 when I didn't think we had a chance of winning Division Two.

We're going down and you all know it. Don't you? If not you should look at the last 25 games
Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 22:01 - Aug 1 with 1888 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 15:23 - Aug 2 with 1828 viewsTractorgirlforever

Yes, 100% we will be promoted next season. , we will win the league by a good margin, and come bottom of the fair play league!. You read it here first!
Login to get fewer ads

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 15:40 - Aug 2 with 1803 viewsSpruceMoose

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 15:23 - Aug 2 by Tractorgirlforever

Yes, 100% we will be promoted next season. , we will win the league by a good margin, and come bottom of the fair play league!. You read it here first!

What are you basing that on? It can't be based on anything you've seen over the last decade, so it must just be hope?!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 15:41 - Aug 2 with 1799 viewsHerbivore

I really can't see it, the decision to stick with Lambert has seen to that. He's been here for the best part of 2 years now and it's pretty evident that he's done as a manager, a total busted flush. He doesn't seem able to do the basics right. The squad ought to be good enough to compete fro promotion but we will be outdone by weaker squads that actually have a game plan and work together to be greater than the sum of their parts.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 15:47 - Aug 2 with 1792 viewsTractorgirlforever

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 15:40 - Aug 2 by SpruceMoose

What are you basing that on? It can't be based on anything you've seen over the last decade, so it must just be hope?!

Lots of hope, its better than having no hope!.. i just want to see us do well again even if winning league 1 is our definition of doing well at the moment, id be happy with that.
Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 16:07 - Aug 2 with 1779 viewsericclacton

E Flat Minor.
Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 16:42 - Aug 2 with 1758 viewsSpruceMoose

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 15:47 - Aug 2 by Tractorgirlforever

Lots of hope, its better than having no hope!.. i just want to see us do well again even if winning league 1 is our definition of doing well at the moment, id be happy with that.

Aye I'm certainly with you there!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 16:55 - Aug 2 with 1735 viewsvapour_trail

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 08:13 - Jul 31 by Steve_M

The negativity from Town fans is completely overdone at present. Yes, last season was poor but the clear evidence was that teams with a clear game plan and way of playing, especially with better players, did well in the division.

There are obviously not questions over Lambert's judgement last season but he isn't a complete idiot, his managerial record isn't just due to a couple of good seasons at Norwich. Some perspective would be nice.

I disagree Steve, I think the negativity is a fair reflection of where we are.

We are not clever enough a football club to take advantage of where others may be damaged by the pandemic. We have had no discernible strategy through the Evans era.

I don’t think we have bottomed out yet, and I’m anticipating another mid table finish.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 18:48 - Aug 2 with 1692 viewsGarv

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 18:14 - Jul 31 by clive_baker

If you're being generous you can also argue that we didn't get lucky at all with injuries. We let Emmanuel leave, then a few weeks later KVY is crooked, which scuppered us and left us completely imbalanced. Our exciting big pre-season bet in Norwood struggled for fitness for large periods. Bishop (surprise) spent a long time on the sidelines, Judge missed all of pre season and the start of the season, and Huws looked rusty after so long out. Sears spent pretty much the whole season injured, as did Nydam, as did Lankester. Nolan had setbacks too.

Personally I think Lambert rightly comes in for criticism, given the squad he had at his disposal finishing 11th was failure, I think most would agree. We are where we are now though, so we might as well suck it up and get behind the team. If anything the general lethargy gives too easy an out to this squad. I think they need a healthy level of expectation and they need to know that as a supporter base the expectation is promotion, and anything less is failure once again.

Some criminally undervalued points here.

Trouble is with this squad, they haven't reacted to either the bad cop approach by Hurst (and Doig) nor the good cop* approach by Lambert/Taylor. At this point I've no idea if piling expectation on them will make or break them.

*I say good cop simply because of all his 'the lads have done great' comments. Only those involved or ITK will be aware of the kind of pressure put on the players behind the scenes.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 18:56 - Aug 2 with 1679 viewsHerbivore

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 18:48 - Aug 2 by Garv

Some criminally undervalued points here.

Trouble is with this squad, they haven't reacted to either the bad cop approach by Hurst (and Doig) nor the good cop* approach by Lambert/Taylor. At this point I've no idea if piling expectation on them will make or break them.

*I say good cop simply because of all his 'the lads have done great' comments. Only those involved or ITK will be aware of the kind of pressure put on the players behind the scenes.

Maybe they just need a good manager? Mick managed to get a tune out of quite a few of the current squad in a way that none of his successors have.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2020 18:56]

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 19:15 - Aug 2 with 1660 viewsGarv

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 18:56 - Aug 2 by Herbivore

Maybe they just need a good manager? Mick managed to get a tune out of quite a few of the current squad in a way that none of his successors have.

Maybe, although only just by the end, while displaying performances impossible to watch. We all know that was better than being where we are now, so let's not get into that.

I just don't see any real mental strength in our squad, and haven't for a long time. That's mainly why I made the point regarding the the best approach in how to motivate them.

If Chambers left the club tomorrow, who's our captain? Skuse, because he does good quizzes and he's a good bloke? We've got no character.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 19:47 - Aug 2 with 1623 viewsHerbivore

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 19:15 - Aug 2 by Garv

Maybe, although only just by the end, while displaying performances impossible to watch. We all know that was better than being where we are now, so let's not get into that.

I just don't see any real mental strength in our squad, and haven't for a long time. That's mainly why I made the point regarding the the best approach in how to motivate them.

If Chambers left the club tomorrow, who's our captain? Skuse, because he does good quizzes and he's a good bloke? We've got no character.

Think that interview with Waggy was quite revealing in terms of how Mick got the best out of players. I'm not sure we lack character or motivation, we've certainly lacked any sense of direction though.

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 20:21 - Aug 2 with 1605 viewsBloomBlue

Yes and we'll win the league.

I will add at the start of every season I believe we'll win the league. I don't see the point of supporting the club unless you have that belief at the start of the season.
Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 12:19 - Aug 3 with 1508 viewsjayessess

If we sack Lambert quickly enough, we might make the play-offs. If Lambert finishes the season, no chance.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 12:41 - Aug 3 with 1492 viewsclive_baker

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 18:56 - Aug 2 by Herbivore

I think that's about right. We over achieved under Mick relative to our peers in terms of budget, and that was largely because he was a damn good manager and got a tune out of them. The whole was greater than the sum of the parts, and through his connections and eye for a player he found players that wanted to come here. What was particularly telling under MM was that it was fairly rare that we lost games we ought not to, on paper, with the exception of the Cup games. We're were pretty consistent. We lost to the likes of Boro and Norwich because ultimately we fell a bit short in quality, but had decent records at picking up points against those around us. It says a lot about the squad, it was never for a lack of effort. It's important to not reflect with rose tinted specs, the football wasn't pretty at times, but it served a purpose. And the lack of ambition in the cups was frustrating, but again the bigger picture was prioritising the league.

We've underachieved since Mick. Last season was the worst, given the level we're operating at. I can sympathise with PL for the relegation season, we weren't strong enough at all, and making up the deficit when you're allowed a Quaner or Elder on loan in Jan, or Dawkins on a free was never going to cut the mustard. But last season was a disgrace. Can you imagine us under MM with that squad shipping 5 at Lincoln. It just wouldn't happen. It really was a disgraceful how we went off the rails in the manner we did, quite so spectacularly and he's very lucky to keep his job IMO.

I definitely agree re. characters in the squad. We have 1 leader in Chambers, 2 at a push if you include Downes who leads more by example. That also comes down to Lambert though, why hasn't he addressed that? MM didn't bring in the right characters by chance, he knew exactly what he was signing in the Hunt brothers and Berra etc. He signed leaders. We're completely gutless at the moment.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 12:46 - Aug 3 with 1485 viewsHerbivore

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 12:41 - Aug 3 by clive_baker

I think that's about right. We over achieved under Mick relative to our peers in terms of budget, and that was largely because he was a damn good manager and got a tune out of them. The whole was greater than the sum of the parts, and through his connections and eye for a player he found players that wanted to come here. What was particularly telling under MM was that it was fairly rare that we lost games we ought not to, on paper, with the exception of the Cup games. We're were pretty consistent. We lost to the likes of Boro and Norwich because ultimately we fell a bit short in quality, but had decent records at picking up points against those around us. It says a lot about the squad, it was never for a lack of effort. It's important to not reflect with rose tinted specs, the football wasn't pretty at times, but it served a purpose. And the lack of ambition in the cups was frustrating, but again the bigger picture was prioritising the league.

We've underachieved since Mick. Last season was the worst, given the level we're operating at. I can sympathise with PL for the relegation season, we weren't strong enough at all, and making up the deficit when you're allowed a Quaner or Elder on loan in Jan, or Dawkins on a free was never going to cut the mustard. But last season was a disgrace. Can you imagine us under MM with that squad shipping 5 at Lincoln. It just wouldn't happen. It really was a disgraceful how we went off the rails in the manner we did, quite so spectacularly and he's very lucky to keep his job IMO.

I definitely agree re. characters in the squad. We have 1 leader in Chambers, 2 at a push if you include Downes who leads more by example. That also comes down to Lambert though, why hasn't he addressed that? MM didn't bring in the right characters by chance, he knew exactly what he was signing in the Hunt brothers and Berra etc. He signed leaders. We're completely gutless at the moment.

Agreed. Hurst stripped a lot of the leaders out of the squad. Senior pros like Didz, Waghorn and Garner who could all say their piece on, and presumably off, the pitch. Webster looked to have a bit about him too. We replaced them with League 1 and 2 players that, ability aside, didn't have anything like the experience or presence of the players they were replacing. We've still bit really addressed that issue. I don't think there's a lack of effort from the players even now, they just don't know how to respond when things aren't going their way and they rarely capitalise when they are on top. That was never really a feature of us under Mick.

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 12:50 - Aug 3 with 1472 viewsMullet

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 12:46 - Aug 3 by Herbivore

Agreed. Hurst stripped a lot of the leaders out of the squad. Senior pros like Didz, Waghorn and Garner who could all say their piece on, and presumably off, the pitch. Webster looked to have a bit about him too. We replaced them with League 1 and 2 players that, ability aside, didn't have anything like the experience or presence of the players they were replacing. We've still bit really addressed that issue. I don't think there's a lack of effort from the players even now, they just don't know how to respond when things aren't going their way and they rarely capitalise when they are on top. That was never really a feature of us under Mick.

It's almost like he was so overawed and insecure any vestige of MM he could get rid of he did so as quickly and recklessly as possible.

I don't see us undoing that damage for years, especially as Lambert has jumped right in the hole and kept digging.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 13:18 - Aug 3 with 1433 viewsHerbivore

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 12:50 - Aug 3 by Mullet

It's almost like he was so overawed and insecure any vestige of MM he could get rid of he did so as quickly and recklessly as possible.

I don't see us undoing that damage for years, especially as Lambert has jumped right in the hole and kept digging.

Indeed. It's incredibly depressing. Hurst inherited a good squad and totally butchered it, stripping it of both quality and character in just a couple of months. Hard to undo that kind of damage but Lambert's attempts at doing so have been pretty shabby. Despite the issues with the squad there was enough quality in it last season that top 6 should have been the minimum requirement. 11th is embarrassing.

Does anybody here really believe that we might get promoted next season? on 13:24 - Aug 3 with 1431 viewsLower_North

No.

Too many better teams ahead of us, without the 3 that are coming down.

9th/10th at best, but more dross to come me reckons..
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024