Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boycott Hintlesham golf club 21:42 - Jul 31 with 2375 viewsTheJam

Asking for a friend.

Poll: Mick in/out v Brexit in/out

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 09:06 - Aug 1 with 1829 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Surely right now they were the venue where a racist incident happened. I'm niy quite sure why they are being blamed.

They need to have time to look into it and ban the member in question (if he can be identified). If they know who it is and don't take serious action then yes i think people should think hard on playing there!

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 09:34 - Aug 1 with 1765 viewsbluelagos

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 09:06 - Aug 1 by Terry_Nutkins

Surely right now they were the venue where a racist incident happened. I'm niy quite sure why they are being blamed.

They need to have time to look into it and ban the member in question (if he can be identified). If they know who it is and don't take serious action then yes i think people should think hard on playing there!

Of course they should have the chance to investigate and take appropriate actions. But their refusing to comment does not bode well or indeed give the impression they are taking it seriously and/or give a sh1t.

Poll: So who are the biggest menace / danger?

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 09:35 - Aug 1 with 1766 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Simply put, the GC should have reacted by refusing to accept Dyers resignation and banning the member concerned.

What they did however, was to accept the resignation and seemingly, nothing else. They should be supporting Dyer and calling out racism in their club or they are complicit in that racism.

The way they've acted so far is the literal equivalent of saying to Dyer, "Its probably for the best".

Poll: If it meant ITFC owning their own ground.

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 09:41 - Aug 1 with 1724 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

What surprised me was that it seems that Dyer's playing partner didn't say anything to the abuser at the time?

I may have read it wrong, but it seemed a good opportunity for the guy to be challenged on the spot.

Poll: Would love to see one of our midfield contribute 10+ goals. Who is most likely.

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 09:48 - Aug 1 with 1701 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 09:34 - Aug 1 by bluelagos

Of course they should have the chance to investigate and take appropriate actions. But their refusing to comment does not bode well or indeed give the impression they are taking it seriously and/or give a sh1t.

Not every business are PR experts or geared up for this type of thing though - pretty easy to envisage that they are like rabbits in the headlights on this and have the best intentions but trying not to put their foot in it

Reading between the lines it does sound like there’s more to this than stated though. Immediately cancelling membership does seem an overreaction unless either someone who is part of the club was involved or it had been raised an no action taken. That said I’m not black - so I could be completely wrong as to what a rational action is under the circs

I’m sure someone will know more - and hopefully if the club are implicit it’ll come out in due course and people will do the right thing

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 09:49 - Aug 1 with 1689 viewsRadlett_blue

The club needs to investigate the incident and if there is clear evidence of racial abuse, hold a disciplinary hearing, which you would expect to result in the abuser being expelled from the club. Unfortunately, these incidents need to follow due process so as to avoid potential legal complications so they take time.
Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 09:51 - Aug 1 with 1690 viewsPhilTWTD

They know who it is and have not up to now, as far as I'm aware, taken action that Kieron would see as appropriate for the situation.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 09:54 - Aug 1 with 1652 viewsfooters

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 09:51 - Aug 1 by PhilTWTD

They know who it is and have not up to now, as far as I'm aware, taken action that Kieron would see as appropriate for the situation.

Do any local Conservative MPs have a membership?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Question of the century: What do you call it?

Login to get fewer ads

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 09:54 - Aug 1 with 1657 viewsRadlett_blue

You would expect them to have a disciplinary procedure, which they are bound to follow if another member issues a written complaint.
Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 09:55 - Aug 1 with 1643 viewsbluelagos

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 09:48 - Aug 1 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Not every business are PR experts or geared up for this type of thing though - pretty easy to envisage that they are like rabbits in the headlights on this and have the best intentions but trying not to put their foot in it

Reading between the lines it does sound like there’s more to this than stated though. Immediately cancelling membership does seem an overreaction unless either someone who is part of the club was involved or it had been raised an no action taken. That said I’m not black - so I could be completely wrong as to what a rational action is under the circs

I’m sure someone will know more - and hopefully if the club are implicit it’ll come out in due course and people will do the right thing

They won't have a corporate PR department for sure.

But a simple "We are investigating and won't comment further until the facts are fully established. Of course we are an inclusive club and value all our members to play golf blah blah blah" takes about 30 seconds to write.

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 09:56 - Aug 1 with 1638 viewsbluelagos

Do you know if they are even investigating the allegations?

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 10:01 - Aug 1 with 1617 viewsPendejo

Silence is violence
The act of omission being every bit as heinous as the use of the racist words.I

I'd join the boycott, but as I've never, to the best of my knowledge, been there in the first place it'd not have any meaningful effect.

uberima fides
Poll: Who will Charlie Austin play for next season?

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 10:02 - Aug 1 with 1620 viewsPhilTWTD

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 09:56 - Aug 1 by bluelagos

Do you know if they are even investigating the allegations?

You would assume there would be some process in place for such situations, as Radlett_Blue says.

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 10:42 - Aug 1 with 1469 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 09:55 - Aug 1 by bluelagos

They won't have a corporate PR department for sure.

But a simple "We are investigating and won't comment further until the facts are fully established. Of course we are an inclusive club and value all our members to play golf blah blah blah" takes about 30 seconds to write.

Meant more in the sense of expertise than time - if you don’t know what to say and don’t want to put your foot in it then not commenting can seem the safest option

But as thought Phil’s post does suggest there is a bit more to it, so probably is them trying to sweep it under the carpet

So as the OP says then

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 11:08 - Aug 1 with 1412 viewsHerbivore

I've been boycotting it my entire life.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 11:09 - Aug 1 with 1410 viewsfactual_blue

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 09:54 - Aug 1 by Radlett_blue

You would expect them to have a disciplinary procedure, which they are bound to follow if another member issues a written complaint.

One suspects golf club discipline is more likely to be about fining members for wearing the wrong socks.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: When will the L1 start date decision be made?
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 11:19 - Aug 1 with 1381 viewsfactual_blue

Not booking weddings etc would hit them where it hurts.

If they're not taking that into account in their decision-making about this, they're really, really stupid.

The best outcome for the club would be for the member involved to resign.

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 12:06 - Aug 1 with 1292 viewsfactual_blue

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 09:54 - Aug 1 by footers

Do any local Conservative MPs have a membership?

Only until they're asked to resign.

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 14:43 - Aug 1 with 1151 viewsSuperCoops

Not disputing this happened, but is there any concrete "evidence" that this happened? Otherwise, it could easily just be open to hearsay.
Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 15:25 - Aug 1 with 1074 viewsRyorry

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 14:43 - Aug 1 by SuperCoops

Not disputing this happened, but is there any concrete "evidence" that this happened? Otherwise, it could easily just be open to hearsay.

Don't several witnesses usually constitute evidence then?

Poll: Should VAR be abolished

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 15:55 - Aug 1 with 1010 viewsTieDyedIn95

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 09:41 - Aug 1 by Marshalls_Mullet

What surprised me was that it seems that Dyer's playing partner didn't say anything to the abuser at the time?

I may have read it wrong, but it seemed a good opportunity for the guy to be challenged on the spot.

He could have even filmed it if it was sustained and the member would already be banned!

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961–62 - Runners-up (2): 1980–81, 1981–82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960–61, 1967–68, 1991–92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999–2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953–54, 1956–57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936–37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977–78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972–73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980–81

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 17:50 - Aug 1 with 871 viewsjeera

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 15:55 - Aug 1 by TieDyedIn95

He could have even filmed it if it was sustained and the member would already be banned!

I've not seen anywhere that no one spoke up at the time.

I don't understand why any suppositions on the reaction would be made by any of us who weren't present.

Glad to see the article put up by Phil at the top of the page that the club are finally acting.

Well it looks like a duck, it sounds like a duck. Nope, dunno what it is.
Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 17:51 - Aug 1 with 871 viewsjeera

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 14:43 - Aug 1 by SuperCoops

There's comments like that all over the country each time this subject comes up.

Well it looks like a duck, it sounds like a duck. Nope, dunno what it is.
Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 18:15 - Aug 1 with 808 viewsBlueBadger

I suspect they'e getting blamed because they're giving every appearance of not only letting the perpertrator get away with it but that they don't give a t0ss that it's going on at their club. As others have said 'a simple, we are investigating, etc' statement would have sufficed.

It doesn't do much for the view that golf clubs are havens offering a 'safe space for the gammonista.

FOPRP.
Poll: What will Lambert waste the Downes money on?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 18:26 - Aug 1 with 779 viewsSuffolktractor

Boycott Hintlesham golf club on 18:15 - Aug 1 by BlueBadger

I suspect they'e getting blamed because they're giving every appearance of not only letting the perpertrator get away with it but that they don't give a t0ss that it's going on at their club. As others have said 'a simple, we are investigating, etc' statement would have sufficed.

It doesn't do much for the view that golf clubs are havens offering a 'safe space for the gammonista.

I know I am out of touch, but what is a gammonista?

Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2020