Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... 02:26 - Aug 1 with 10241 viewsNewcyBlue

On 4th May I lost a close friend. He had cancer. He was 4 days out from his birthday.

It hit me pretty hard. I had sailed with him twice. He was a drinking buddy. Seb thought he was an absolute riot. When I stopped drinking we still went out.

He was a massive Newcastle fan. Whenever I did a Great North Run or something similar, he was always the first to laugh at me, tell me he would be at the finish line with a beer watching me crawl over the then. Then he would put his hand in his pocket with great delight.

I’ve been trying to come up with something, something befitting the man.

There’s only one thing for it really isn’t there? I’m going to walk from the Sir Bobby Robson Statue at St James Park to the Sir Bobby Robson statue at Portman Road. For the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation.

The next thing I need to do is get home, buy maps, plan a route. Plan food and overnight stops.

My plan is to do it when spectators are allowed back into Portman Road, arriving on the day of a match.

In reality that’s probably going to be next year, which will mean the twins won’t be as much as a handful, and MrsN can drive down at various points for the overnight stop overs.

This has been on my mind a while now. It’s Sitters fault. He posted something on twitter about how far is it to walk from your home to your teams stadium. Since then it’s been at the back of mind eating away.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 05:54 - Aug 3 with 1069 viewsbluelagos

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 23:56 - Aug 2 by NewcyBlue

Funnily enough I was going to look at seeing if you can walk across the Humber Bridge.

You been up to Tyne Dock lately?

Check out the LDWA. And there are a shed load of trails which I'd advise you simply join up. Anything else is doing a load of work someone else has already done :-) The trails, like the "St Edmundsbury way" will have distinct coloured arrows that are stuck to posts / gates along their length. Makes navigating a piece of p*ss to be honest.

As for not getting lost otherwise, I'd forget maps, they are fck all use when you are lost and it's raining / foggy / dark as you cant make out the features to tell you where you are, or should be heading. Get OS maps on your phone. Turn your location on (only when needed as it drains your battery) and it will show you exactly where you are to within a few meters. They have an annual subscription which would be perfect for your hike.

Or just get a compass and head SE. Cant go wrong :-)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 07:16 - Aug 3 with 1026 viewsTangledupin_Blue

And, btw, don't forget to keep an eye out for Fergal's moped. In a field somewhere near Peterborough, apparently.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 08:32 - Aug 3 with 995 viewsGlasgowBlue

Sorry for your loss mate. Great idea and let us know when you launch a fundraising page.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 08:36 - Aug 3 with 991 viewsDubtractor

Only just spotted this.

Its all already been said, but sorry for your loss mate.

This is a great idea to remember him, and I'll definitely sponsor you.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 08:47 - Aug 3 with 983 viewsitfcjoe

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 23:33 - Aug 2 by NewcyBlue

I am leaning more towards a bit of a mix of the coastal path and a direct route to find some fun terrain.

When I get back to Europe I will hotspot my phone to the laptop and order all the explorer maps I think I will need. Then it will be a case of waiting to get home to actually look at them and plan my passage.

The problem with heading to the coast from Newcastle is that it’s wasted miles. Heading East when I need to be heading South. So I think I will head South and pick up a coast route around Middlesbrough. I’d like to get inland a bit too, especially around Stamford, Lincolnshire. Purely for sentimental reasons. But if it’s going to add stupid miles on, I won’t do it.

I’m not going to just pick the shortest route, I want to pick an interesting route.

Sorry for your loss Newcy

Why dont you just walk down the A1, may even be able to thumb a lift if your legs get tired....!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 10:40 - Aug 3 with 956 viewsWeWereZombies

Seen this a little late in the day, but please accept these belated condolences.

I would have to echo those who strike a note of caution on the thirty miles a day target, I did once walk forty two miles in a day but that was very much a one time only, Lyke Wake Walk from Osmotherly to Robin Hood's Bay over the North Yorkshire Moors - eleven walkers started but only three of us finished and I would have dropped up had it not been that the final eight mile section did not have an escape route to the support vehicle. Thirty miles might be enjoyable the first day but will probably seem quite a slog the next day, almost impossible on the third day and so on. And that is even without developing blisters. Most distance walkers are happy to make twenty miles in a day I reckon, and will also plan a recovery day every fourth or fifth day. Terrain makes a difference two, twenty miles on the flat can easily reduce to twelve over severe gradients and rough ground but there is unlikely to be too much of that between Newcastle and Ipswich.

What there will be that can really foul up a walk is major roads, as the crow flies distances on a map can be greatly increased once you have to walk up and down field edges overlooking a motorway until ways to get to a flyover (and to get over fences to even get to the flyover.) Then there are these things like factories, hospitals, schools, housing developments, MOD sites, offices - you know, the usual clutter, why do people build this stuff? To get in your way and stop you getting in the pub before closing time, that's why.

I have a feeling we are going to be in discussion about this a bit over the coming months...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 10:54 - Aug 3 with 945 viewsRyorry

I haven’t quite figured it all out yet but... on 23:56 - Aug 2 by NewcyBlue

Funnily enough I was going to look at seeing if you can walk across the Humber Bridge.

You been up to Tyne Dock lately?

You can definitely walk across the Humber Bridge on foot, it's brilliant, spectacular. Not that I've walked right the way across, mind (3 miles), but when us and Hull were in the same league, I stopped off to see the bridge & read the signboards there about the structure, how it was engineered etc - fascinating stuff and obviously the views are stunning. It's a "must-do" imho.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024