Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Straight choice of pubs or schools? 14:23 - Aug 1 with 4328 viewsbluelagos

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/01/pubs-england-close-control-coronav

Could happen, we might get a choice of keeping pubs open or reopening our schools in a month's time.

So anyone brave (or foolish) enough to go on record and state the hospitality sector should be prioritised over opening schools?

(As frustrating as it would be, I cant see how the hospitality sector could be deemed more important, but open to persuasion...)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 14:25 - Aug 1 with 3763 viewsHerbivore

Schools can only be used by children. A much larger proportion of the population can use pubs and restaurants. It's a no brainer. Plus I've already started a thread on this.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 14:28 - Aug 1 with 3735 viewsbluelagos

Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 14:25 - Aug 1 by Herbivore

Schools can only be used by children. A much larger proportion of the population can use pubs and restaurants. It's a no brainer. Plus I've already started a thread on this.

Yeah, but yours is a funny one.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 15:30 - Aug 1 with 3663 viewsjeera

Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 14:28 - Aug 1 by bluelagos

Yeah, but yours is a funny one.

Three blokes of varying nationalities walked into a pub...

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 18:30 - Aug 1 with 3537 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I can live without pubs (although closure impacts on my income!) As one of my best clients is a pubco.

I think the biggest issue with pubs etc closing is that it's a massive contributor to the economy and jobs.

In this instance is there a distinction being made between pubs and restaurants?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 18:34 - Aug 1 with 3544 viewsBloomBlue

A lot kids go into pubs these days and they say a lot of schools are too small to socially distance, maybe combine the two?
Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 18:36 - Aug 1 with 3545 viewstextbackup

Has to be schools.

Adults should be sensible enough to realise education is massive for the future generations.

Kids will be suffering no end because of the closures.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 18:41 - Aug 1 with 3524 viewsjeera

Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 18:36 - Aug 1 by textbackup

Has to be schools.

Adults should be sensible enough to realise education is massive for the future generations.

There's no question that morally you're right, but the problem is people who may lose jobs, unless there's enough to go around for continued financial support.

That then needs to be weighed against parents who rely on the kids being in school so they can get on with paying the bills too.

From what I've witnessed locally, there's still not enough money going over the bar to keep many places alive despite them now being open and the sun shining.

Someone, somewhere needs to do the maths

Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 18:48 - Aug 1 with 3487 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 18:41 - Aug 1 by jeera

There's no question that morally you're right, but the problem is people who may lose jobs, unless there's enough to go around for continued financial support.

That then needs to be weighed against parents who rely on the kids being in school so they can get on with paying the bills too.

From what I've witnessed locally, there's still not enough money going over the bar to keep many places alive despite them now being open and the sun shining.

Someone, somewhere needs to do the maths

Agreed.

The pubs that have been doing well seem to be food led pubs that normally have capacity for 150 people inside and a big beer garden.

They can cope (to a better extent) with social distancing and reduced capacity is still say 100 people.

Some regional pubco's have been doing well in terms of like for like sales compared to last year.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 18:51 - Aug 1 with 3488 viewsShawsey

As someone who had a poor education, schools are by far more important. A sensible answer probably isn't what you are after, but I went for it.
Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 18:59 - Aug 1 with 3473 viewsjonbull88

It’s short vs long term gain. Short term being money over the bar now, long being in 15 years time when the youngest start leaving school. The missing of education might mean a generation don’t have the money to put over the bar.

Also economy wise, shutting pubs will lead to job losses, however opening schools will allow many parents to return to work that might be unable to due to having children at home.

Swings and roundabouts.
Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 19:16 - Aug 1 with 3447 viewsOldsmoker

Has to be schools.

I admire your selflessness, putting the childrens welfare above yours.
However, an out-of-work adult needs an edge. He has experience and he got his education. The next batch will have neither so he has a better chance of getting the few jobs going over the school leaver.
In the meantime, he can waste his jobless time in the pub.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 19:24 - Aug 1 with 3434 viewsjeera

Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 18:59 - Aug 1 by jonbull88

It’s short vs long term gain. Short term being money over the bar now, long being in 15 years time when the youngest start leaving school. The missing of education might mean a generation don’t have the money to put over the bar.

Also economy wise, shutting pubs will lead to job losses, however opening schools will allow many parents to return to work that might be unable to due to having children at home.

Swings and roundabouts.

Another interesting angle there.

Adults aren't really allowed on the swings and roundabouts so at least the kids have something to do.

All the adults might have is the pub.

Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 19:38 - Aug 1 with 3414 viewsHerbivore

Has to be schools.

As someone who has decided not to contribute to overpopulation by having kids I find this post quite discriminatory. Why should I have to give up the pub so kids I already have to contribute more towards than I'd like should have the luxury of full time education while the rest of us suffer?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 19:40 - Aug 1 with 3409 viewsSwansea_Blue

Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 14:25 - Aug 1 by Herbivore

Although in fairness a good number of adults need to go back to school. At least 17,410,742 of them for a start.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 19:45 - Aug 1 with 3402 viewsjeera

Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 19:40 - Aug 1 by Swansea_Blue

Although in fairness a good number of adults need to go back to school. At least 17,410,742 of them for a start.

If that doesn't represent some 52% of something or other then I also need to go back to school.

Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 19:50 - Aug 1 with 3398 viewsthebooks

Kids need to get back to school. It's not just the damage to their education – it's their development, mental health and welfare too.

Also, it's hard for a lot of parents to work if the kids are at home.

The govt should continue to step in to make sure businesses don't go under and workers can cover their bills.

The economy can't really get going until we're confident Coronavirus is under control anyway.
Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 19:50 - Aug 1 with 3397 viewsLibero

Has to be schools.

Spot on fella.
Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 19:51 - Aug 1 with 3391 viewsLibero

Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 19:38 - Aug 1 by Herbivore

As someone who has decided not to contribute to overpopulation by having kids I find this post quite discriminatory. Why should I have to give up the pub so kids I already have to contribute more towards than I'd like should have the luxury of full time education while the rest of us suffer?

Don’t be such a fanny.
Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 19:54 - Aug 1 with 3378 viewsJ2BLUE

Just send the best and brightest back to school and use the rest as drink runners in pubs. Then maybe find a few chimneys for them to sweep while the rest of us enjoy a pint.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 19:55 - Aug 1 with 3369 viewsShawsey

You must be on a wind up. You sound just like that Paz fella.
Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 20:23 - Aug 1 with 3307 viewstextbackup

Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 19:16 - Aug 1 by Oldsmoker

I admire your selflessness, putting the childrens welfare above yours.
However, an out-of-work adult needs an edge. He has experience and he got his education. The next batch will have neither so he has a better chance of getting the few jobs going over the school leaver.
In the meantime, he can waste his jobless time in the pub.

I just look at as children’s mental health will be taking an absolute hiding right now, my 8 year old (as many others are) are fully aware of what’s going on, and the struggle daily to get her to do home schooling was an absolute nightmare, tried so many different approaches.

I can see the financial side of things, but there will be huge selfish reasons too

Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 20:31 - Aug 1 with 3289 viewsSwansea_Blue

Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 19:45 - Aug 1 by jeera

If that doesn't represent some 52% of something or other then I also need to go back to school.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 20:38 - Aug 1 with 3260 viewstextbackup

We’re you not a child once? School is so fcking inportant
Do you not support mental health? Kids suffering daily with the routine being completely thrown in the air.
Even tho We’ve disagreed on here I thought you were a decent bloke, but to say you’ll be missing out, while children suffer, lost for words.

Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 20:45 - Aug 1 with 3237 viewsjeera

Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 20:38 - Aug 1 by textbackup

We’re you not a child once? School is so fcking inportant
Do you not support mental health? Kids suffering daily with the routine being completely thrown in the air.
Even tho We’ve disagreed on here I thought you were a decent bloke, but to say you’ll be missing out, while children suffer, lost for words.

Without wishing to stick my nose in, I do wonder if there's just a few comments here made tongue in cheek.

Not that it's my place to speak for someone else I realise.

That aside, speaking for myself, I fully understand the need for kids to interact with each other and it's as an important point as education itself, but as well as that I can also see how [hopefully] most children will have support at home which some adults might not have. The network for some people will revolve around a social centre like a pub.

Some kids also hate school, but that's another matter and not really relevant here.

Hopefully there will be no such choice necessary anyway.

Straight choice of pubs or schools? on 20:46 - Aug 1 with 3234 viewsmikeybloo88

No reason why it's beyond us to have both schools and pubs open...in most areas of the country anyway.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024