Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Poor from M&S. 19:47 - Aug 1 with 9746 viewsShawsey

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8583179/M-S-RENAMES-Falklands-globe-usi
Poor from M&S. on 20:01 - Aug 1 with 6164 viewsOldsmoker

Made in Argentina?

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Poor from M&S. on 20:39 - Aug 1 with 6087 viewsnoggin

I'll tell you what was a slap in the face for British troops who died there.... The fact that Thatcher sent them to their deaths. America offered to broker peace but she wanted blood.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Poor from M&S. on 20:46 - Aug 1 with 6049 viewsSpruceMoose

Cancel culture gone mad!

[Post edited 1 Aug 2020 20:46]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Poor from M&S. on 20:55 - Aug 1 with 6023 viewsShawsey

Poor from M&S. on 20:39 - Aug 1 by noggin

I'll tell you what was a slap in the face for British troops who died there.... The fact that Thatcher sent them to their deaths. America offered to broker peace but she wanted blood.

She did and they did. The point is British people died defending it, so whether you agree with the war or not, it is a real disgrace from M&S to allow this to happen.
Poor from M&S. on 22:16 - Aug 1 with 5903 viewsfactual_blue

daily mail link.

Please provide a summary of the story for those of us with too much decency to use their website.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Poor from M&S. on 22:24 - Aug 1 with 5875 viewsfooters

This account needs some work. Too much like the last one.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Poor from M&S. on 22:25 - Aug 1 with 5869 viewsHerbivore

Imagine actually getting het up about this.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Poor from M&S. on 22:53 - Aug 1 with 5808 viewsMelford

Poor from M&S. on 20:39 - Aug 1 by noggin

She really needed a diversion in 82, something to take our minds off the war on British Industry and the working classes she was conducting in the UK. The Belgrano was sailing away when we bombed it.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Login to get fewer ads

Poor from M&S. on 23:13 - Aug 1 with 5775 viewsjeera

Poor from M&S. on 22:25 - Aug 1 by Herbivore

I dunno, I can understand families who suffered personal loss feeling aggrieved.

But not so much maybe at the faux pas by M&S who clearly don't go about designing and manufacturing their own globes.

I felt obliged to have a quick look though on a couple of sites and was interested to learn the Malvinas name is derived from the French name, Malouines, given by the original French settlers.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Poor from M&S. on 08:35 - Aug 2 with 5581 viewsGlasgowBlue

Poor from M&S. on 22:53 - Aug 1 by Melford

She really needed a diversion in 82, something to take our minds off the war on British Industry and the working classes she was conducting in the UK. The Belgrano was sailing away when we bombed it.

“ the commander of the Belgrano has broken a 21-year silence. He admits he had not only been commanded to attack the British fleet wherever he encountered it but was also 'anxious to pull the trigger'.

Captain Héctor Bonzo also admits that, far from retreating from the British Task Force as he sailed west with two accompanying destroyers, his change of direction was a temporary manoeuvre.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2003/may/25/uk.world

And the idea that Thatcher used the Falklands in order to boost her popularity or distract from domestic policy is a flawed one.

Churchill lost the election despite winning the war. Eden had to resign after the ashes debacle. And in more recent history Blair’s legacy will always be tarnished by Iraq.

There is no doubt that Thatcher benefitted a boost in popularity due to the victory in the Falklands war but there is no way she could have seen that happening. And remember she was up against Michael Foot in the election a year after,

who to his credit supported her during the war,

and his Manifesto which was described as the longest suicide note in history.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2020 8:41]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Poor from M&S. on 08:52 - Aug 2 with 5555 viewsShawsey

Poor from M&S. on 22:25 - Aug 1 by Herbivore

Poor from M&S. on 09:16 - Aug 2 with 5508 viewslongtimefan

Poor from M&S. on 22:53 - Aug 1 by Melford

Torpedoed not bombed.
Poor from M&S. on 10:01 - Aug 2 with 5463 viewsm14_blue

Poor from M&S. on 20:55 - Aug 1 by Shawsey

She did and they did. The point is British people died defending it, so whether you agree with the war or not, it is a real disgrace from M&S to allow this to happen.

You really think anyone from M&S sanctioned and decided to put Malvinas? They order thousands of products every week, no one's going to check every possible detail on a globe.

At the very, very worst it's a really minor oversight that I'm sure will now be rectified.

Daily Mail doing what the Daily Mail does.
Poor from M&S. on 10:15 - Aug 2 with 5427 viewsm14_blue

Poor from M&S. on 22:16 - Aug 1 by factual_blue

daily mail link.

Please provide a summary of the story for those of us with too much decency to use their website.

Someone has noticed that in miniscule letters at the bottom of a decorative globe it says Malvinas (Falkland Islands) rather than just Falkland Islands.

A load of people who like to rant about 'easily offended snowflakes' are getting annoyed.

I'll make an exception for the servicemen quoted in the story but to be honest I'm sure they wouldn't have even been aware of it had it not been for the storm being brewed in a very small cup teacup.
Poor from M&S. on 11:54 - Aug 2 with 5331 views26_Paz

This is absolutely ridiculous. All in the name of being woke. This stuff makes me so angry.

The Paz Man

Poor from M&S. on 11:57 - Aug 2 with 5319 viewsWeWereZombies

Poor from M&S. on 11:54 - Aug 2 by 26_Paz

This is absolutely ridiculous. All in the name of being woke. This stuff makes me so angry.

You think Marks and Spencer did this on purpose as some kind of preparatory manoeuvre for granting the Falklands to Argentina at the behest of retail corporations?

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Poor from M&S. on 12:05 - Aug 2 with 5300 viewsm14_blue

Paz, they're trying to make you angry about something that really doesn't matter.

You're being played by people who are just trying to generate clicks and sell papers.
Poor from M&S. on 12:06 - Aug 2 with 5288 viewsHerbivore

You div.

Poor from M&S. on 13:14 - Aug 2 with 5179 views26_Paz

Poor from M&S. on 11:57 - Aug 2 by WeWereZombies

You think Marks and Spencer did this on purpose as some kind of preparatory manoeuvre for granting the Falklands to Argentina at the behest of retail corporations?

No, they’re doing it because for some reason certain elements of society seem to want to out do each other in how woke they can be

The Paz Man

Poor from M&S. on 13:26 - Aug 2 with 5161 viewsWeWereZombies

Poor from M&S. on 13:14 - Aug 2 by 26_Paz

No, they’re doing it because for some reason certain elements of society seem to want to out do each other in how woke they can be

Either that or the globe is manufactured in the Philippines or somewhere that has some pro-Argentine support and quality control at Marks and Spencer didn't notice...

Poor from M&S. on 13:28 - Aug 2 with 5152 viewsHerbivore

Poor from M&S. on 13:14 - Aug 2 by 26_Paz

Show your workings, Paz.

Poor from M&S. on 13:34 - Aug 2 with 5123 viewsblackheath_blue

Poor from M&S. on 20:46 - Aug 1 by SpruceMoose

Cancel culture gone mad!

[Post edited 1 Aug 2020 20:46]

Is that the new "political correctness gone mad"?
Poor from M&S. on 13:41 - Aug 2 with 5111 viewsgordon

This is really snowflakey. It only makes you angry because you're told over and over again that this sort of thing should make you angry. It actually doesn't matter at all, it's just a name for a place.
Poor from M&S. on 13:46 - Aug 2 with 5091 viewsHerbivore

Poor from M&S. on 13:41 - Aug 2 by gordon

This is really snowflakey. It only makes you angry because you're told over and over again that this sort of thing should make you angry. It actually doesn't matter at all, it's just a name for a place.

But we won the war!!!!

Poor from M&S. on 13:57 - Aug 2 with 5072 viewsWeWereZombies

Poor from M&S. on 13:46 - Aug 2 by Herbivore

But we won the war!!!!

Although an Argentine joke has it that they won the Falklands War because they were able to get rid of their dictator straight away and we were stuck with ours for another decade.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024