Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? 23:43 - Aug 1 with 3738 viewsgiant_stow

Say 2 grand cheap? Would it break down all the time?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 00:56 - Aug 2 with 3696 viewsNewcyBlue

My used car buying guide that I have posted on other threads:

-Open the bonnet when you get there. Have a feel of the radiator hose. If it is hot they may have run the car up to cover up cold start problems, engine noises, etc
-Look for any oil on the engine block, pull the dipstick out and check the colour of the oil. Open the oil filler cap and see if there is any sludge / mayonnaise looking stuff. The mayonnaise stuff may just be condensation, or it may be something more sinister.
-When starting the car look for excessive exhaust fumes, different coloured smoke means different things.
-Bodywork, is it all the same colour. Does any of the paint look like orange peel? The orange peel effect is from a poor paintjob, and could be a sign of a previous accident.
-Are there any differing gaps between any of the panels? Does it look the same on both sides?
-Are the door and window seals in tact?
-Check to see all warning lights come on when turning the ignition on, ensure they extinguish upon starting the engine.
-Does the clutch feel ok? Is there any noise at any point of depressing the clutch pedal?
-When driving is there any excessive play in the steering? Do the brakes work adequately? Are there any unusual noises? Does the steering wobble at speed or under heavy braking? When braking does the car pull to one side?
-Check all equipment is working, lights, wipers, washers, ventilation, windows, mirrors, central locking.
-Check the wheels and tyres. Are locking wheel nuts fitted? If so is the locking wheel nut key with the car?. Check the tread on the tyres. Check the sidewall for bulges
-Paperwork, check service history. Anything 60k plus and you want to be checking if the cambelt has been changed. Check the V5C for spelling mistakes, does the address match the one of the seller. Is the seller the registered keeper? If not, why?

Remember the DVLA MOT Check website is worth a look too. At that sort of money you want to be getting It HPI checked etc.

Drive a couple of the same car (year, engine, spec, mileage). Does one feel noticeably different? That should raise questions.

You can get a lot of car for 2 grand.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 01:09 - Aug 2 with 3671 viewsgainsboroughblue

Without knowing anything about that particular vehicle, I've had two Hondas and they have been my two most reliable cars.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 08:14 - Aug 2 with 3532 viewssolomon

Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 00:56 - Aug 2 by NewcyBlue

-Open the bonnet when you get there. Have a feel of the radiator hose. If it is hot they may have run the car up to cover up cold start problems, engine noises, etc
-Look for any oil on the engine block, pull the dipstick out and check the colour of the oil. Open the oil filler cap and see if there is any sludge / mayonnaise looking stuff. The mayonnaise stuff may just be condensation, or it may be something more sinister.
-When starting the car look for excessive exhaust fumes, different coloured smoke means different things.
-Bodywork, is it all the same colour. Does any of the paint look like orange peel? The orange peel effect is from a poor paintjob, and could be a sign of a previous accident.
-Are there any differing gaps between any of the panels? Does it look the same on both sides?
-Check to see all warning lights come on when turning the ignition on, ensure they extinguish upon starting the engine.
-Does the clutch feel ok? Is there any noise at any point of depressing the clutch pedal?
-When driving is there any excessive play in the steering? Do the brakes work adequately? Are there any unusual noises? Does the steering wobble at speed or under heavy braking? When braking does the car pull to one side?
-Check all equipment is working, lights, wipers, washers, ventilation, windows, mirrors, central locking.
-Check the wheels and tyres. Are locking wheel nuts fitted? If so is the locking wheel nut key with the car?. Check the tread on the tyres. Check the sidewall for bulges
-Paperwork, check service history. Anything 60k plus and you want to be checking if the cambelt has been changed. Check the V5C for spelling mistakes, does the address match the one of the seller. Is the seller the registered keeper? If not, why?

Remember the DVLA MOT Check website is worth a look too. At that sort of money you want to be getting It HPI checked etc.

Drive a couple of the same car (year, engine, spec, mileage). Does one feel noticeably different? That should raise questions.

Good advice from Newcy this.

Will you be using it to go far? If not maybe do the environment and yourself a good turn and spend the 2k on a nice bicycle? I’m assuming 2k gets a nice one?
Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 08:28 - Aug 2 with 3510 viewsuefacup81

Go for it.

I picked up a £2k Civic about 18mths ago and have had no trouble with it at all. 06 plate and Ex spec - a lot of car for the £2k price tag.

Have you got a link to it?

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 09:03 - Aug 2 with 3470 viewsgordon

Ive had a Y reg (I think that's 1998) Honda Civic for about 10 years, 150k miles, it's pretty much indestructible. Once my girlfriend flooded the engine while learning to drive, that's about the worst that's happened.

Hondas should be exempt from MOTs, waste of thirty-five quid or whatever it is.
Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 09:14 - Aug 2 with 3439 viewsmojo

I will just echo what others have said. My honda civic is 18 years old now, so reliable, never had any major problems with it and as the boys at the garage keep telling me, it wont be the engine that fails.
Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 09:20 - Aug 2 with 3424 viewsNewcyBlue

Ulla, don’t just buy a car for 2 grand without giving it a look over.

Use my guide above. Whilst Honda is a reliable brand, you may not know the real reason someone is selling a car.

Don’t part with your money unless you are sure.

If I was on land and closer I would have offered to come look at it for you.

Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 09:58 - Aug 2 with 3366 viewsBasuco

Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 00:56 - Aug 2 by NewcyBlue

Very good advice from Newcy, I would re-emphasise the item about the warning lights when the ignition is switched on, it has been known to disconnect or take the bulb out on the engine management warning light to hide a serious engine issue. Also listen to your own instincts, if the car or seller give you an uneasy feeling, or something does not feel right, it may well not be a good buy.
Login to get fewer ads

Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 10:30 - Aug 2 with 3329 viewsgiant_stow

Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 09:58 - Aug 2 by Basuco

Very good advice from Newcy, I would re-emphasise the item about the warning lights when the ignition is switched on, it has been known to disconnect or take the bulb out on the engine management warning light to hide a serious engine issue. Also listen to your own instincts, if the car or seller give you an uneasy feeling, or something does not feel right, it may well not be a good buy.

Thanks laods chaps - I posted in a late night booze-fueled buzz of I'm going to buy a car - I can finally afford one!

Waking up and seeing you guys say they're good cars is a real relief!

Cheers to Newcy for that guide, as I know nothing about car buying - I'm gonna print it off and memorise it!

Found a few different ones but this seems representative:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202004309123027?price-to=2000&mak

Edit: actually, I'm already showing my naivety, as I've been told to get a petrol, not diesle, so not that actual car. Anyway. thanks again.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2020 10:45]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 10:47 - Aug 2 with 3303 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 10:48 - Aug 2 with 3295 viewshampstead_blue

Main thing is maintenance and condition.

If it's been looked after those cars will run for years.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 10:49 - Aug 2 with 3291 viewsNewcyBlue

Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 10:30 - Aug 2 by giant_stow

Thanks laods chaps - I posted in a late night booze-fueled buzz of I'm going to buy a car - I can finally afford one!

Cheers to Newcy for that guide, as I know nothing about car buying - I'm gonna print it off and memorise it!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202004309123027?price-to=2000&mak

Edit: actually, I'm already showing my naivety, as I've been told to get a petrol, not diesle, so not that actual car. Anyway. thanks again.

Ulla, do you need a car right away? Or can you wait.

If this is something you’re now just able to afford I will help you. But you will need to wait for me to get back home.

£2000 is a lot of money. It doesn’t sound like you can spend 2 grand and lose it due to engine issues within 6 months.

If you can wait until I get home, which will be September or October, I will personally find you a car in budget.

I’m more than happy to send you my credentials when I get home, HND in motor vehicle repair along with an NVQ L3.

If you can wait, do. If you can’t, feel free to PM me and I will give you my number for any help.

Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 10:59 - Aug 2 with 3283 viewsgiant_stow

Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 10:49 - Aug 2 by NewcyBlue

Ulla, do you need a car right away? Or can you wait.

If this is something you’re now just able to afford I will help you. But you will need to wait for me to get back home.

£2000 is a lot of money. It doesn’t sound like you can spend 2 grand and lose it due to engine issues within 6 months.

If you can wait until I get home, which will be September or October, I will personally find you a car in budget.

I’m more than happy to send you my credentials when I get home, HND in motor vehicle repair along with an NVQ L3.

If you can wait, do. If you can’t, feel free to PM me and I will give you my number for any help.

That is very very kind of you Newcy - appreciated, but I do need one quicktime - got several reasons to hire a car coming up that would dent that 2 grand probably be a third-ish, so its kinds of now or never!

Reading you though about the engines, does might me stop and think. From your list above, it sounds like I've just got to be ready to talk away from a given car if it's giving any reason to be jumpy when I go look.

Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 11:02 - Aug 2 with 3273 viewshampstead_blue

Just seen this.

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/10701831?cId=10383146&cId=10119989&cId=1

They are ridiculously reliable and great to own.
I have a WRX Prodrive Wagon on a 2005 plate. 125k miles and it purrs.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 11:10 - Aug 2 with 3259 viewsBasuco

That looks a lovely car and good value at the price, in general you will find you will get a lot more car for your money with a diesel and that is a very good engine as well but the main benefit is if you do long journeys, it would be great fun to drive with 140BHP and 65MPG on a long run.
Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 11:14 - Aug 2 with 3250 viewsfactual_blue

You're after a family car then?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 11:52 - Aug 2 with 3203 viewsgiant_stow

Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 11:14 - Aug 2 by factual_blue

You're after a family car then?

Yes, one for a small family, but many didgits.

Edit: thanks again everyone - some lovely people on this site.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2020 11:53]

Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 12:16 - Aug 2 with 3173 viewsRyorry

A friend got a new Honda Civic in the 1970s - it was a rust bucket within 2 years.

I dare say things have moved on a bit since then in the Honda Civic world!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 12:46 - Aug 2 with 3147 viewsCoastalblue

Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 10:59 - Aug 2 by giant_stow

That is very very kind of you Newcy - appreciated, but I do need one quicktime - got several reasons to hire a car coming up that would dent that 2 grand probably be a third-ish, so its kinds of now or never!

Reading you though about the engines, does might me stop and think. From your list above, it sounds like I've just got to be ready to talk away from a given car if it's giving any reason to be jumpy when I go look.

Always a good idea to take someone along with you when you view it if you can. I's amazing how you cn be seeing shiny new car, all excited while the person accompanying you will be seeing the things you are looking past.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 12:56 - Aug 2 with 3133 viewsNewcyBlue

In 2018 that car had advisories for corrosion in various places.

There is a chance it has been welded.

I would definitely be asking to look underneath the vehicle.

Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 13:02 - Aug 2 with 3121 viewsNewcyBlue

Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 12:56 - Aug 2 by NewcyBlue

In 2018 that car had advisories for corrosion in various places.

There is a chance it has been welded.

I would definitely be asking to look underneath the vehicle.

It’s also had various steering and suspension components replaced. Definitely drive one like it to compare the two. If you can chuck them round a roundabout a few times and find bumpy roads to listen for any abnormal knocks and feel for any looseness.

Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 13:54 - Aug 2 with 3085 viewsWicklowBlue

Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 11:10 - Aug 2 by Basuco

That looks a lovely car and good value at the price, in general you will find you will get a lot more car for your money with a diesel and that is a very good engine as well but the main benefit is if you do long journeys, it would be great fun to drive with 140BHP and 65MPG on a long run.

One quick thing I noticed on the link posted, the near side wheel arch has 2 screws through the plastic arch covering. So something broke there...
Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 14:05 - Aug 2 with 3069 viewsElephantintheRoom

You need to know what you are paying for.

The most reliable car I have ever owned was a Citroen Xantia estate that I bought for £150. But I knew the seller and it had a complete service history...I simply offered £50 more than the owner was getting as a trade in on a new one.

Buying a £2000 car of any unknown provenance is a risk... you simply have to go by ownership and mileage then peer knowingly at the engine, look at the exhaust... look for wear and tear on the pedals and seats etc.. - there are plenty of bargains to be had if you have the patience to walk aay from anything dodgy.

You should also have a word with your local Honda dealer. They will be taking cars in on part exchange and sticking them in auctions.... £2000 is a big offer on some cars.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 14:16 - Aug 2 with 3046 viewsRyorry

Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 12:46 - Aug 2 by Coastalblue

Always a good idea to take someone along with you when you view it if you can. I's amazing how you cn be seeing shiny new car, all excited while the person accompanying you will be seeing the things you are looking past.

Yes, instead of paying for an AA or RAC mechanical check, I always took either a friend knowledgeable about landrovers with me, or someone from my trusted local garage when looking at second-hand landies. Last one I bought in 2010 still going strong 👍

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Car people: Would you buy a cheap Honda civic? on 00:38 - Aug 3 with 2879 viewsronnyd

Go onto the Honda owners forums. They tell you what problems their cars have and sometimes tell of easy fixes too. On that link you posted up, if you scroll down the page you will find over 250 owners reviews.Worth a few minutes reading.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024