Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cash out 08:32 - Aug 2 with 18833 viewsKropotkin123

Who uses cash?

- Old people
- Drug dealers and users
- Tax Dodgers

Why is cash an issue

Cost: Believe it or not, it costs money to make money. Mining metals, minting coins, designing pictures, testing quality, fraud prevention, fraud detection, printing and on and on.

Environment: The environment is harmed in many ways. Mining, supply chain impacts like transportation, electricity at ATMs, felling trees.

Health: aside from the obvious - pollution put into the atmosphere, waters and soil. Money is great for transferring viruses and bacteria. Many, many people touch the same coins and notes, which touch other coins and notes.

Drug Industry: Drug dealers don't use cards to buy and sell drugs. They operate in cash. A typical deal will have huge wads of £20 notes.

Tax Evaders: Paying in cash gives the recipient the ability to not declare actual earnings, reducing their tax liabilities, meaning you, yes you, end up paying more tax as the loss of revenue is factored into government taxation either knowingly or unknowingly.

How does the removal of cash reduce these issues

- No money means no investment in making money.

- No money means the environmental damage is stopped.

- Ceasing the circulation of money ceases the health risks associated with money

- Stopping the ability to pay for drugs without a trail will make it more difficult to distribute drugs on scale.

- Having all transactions through card will reduce low level tax evasion.

How to implement

- Instantly cease production of all new coins and notes.

- Give a one year period for everyone to return all coins and notes to banks.

- After one year make all notes and coins illegal tender.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2020 8:36]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Cash out on 17:53 - Aug 2 with 2857 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Cash out on 12:31 - Aug 2 by Pendejo

Reply to all in this chain - where there is a will there is a way

My youngest kids get their pocket money into their accounts by dd.

Waypoint type technology for the charity boxes.... Which are often targets for junky scum after a quick fix

Edit junky changed to kinky by auto correct. Let me state categorically I do not think kinky people are scum, in fact I am happy to embrace them, wearing a gimp suit and clamps.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2020 12:35]

Wow... So your children could choose to draw more money, from your a/c, whenever they want something expensive.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Cash out on 17:58 - Aug 2 with 2850 viewsjeera

Waypoint type technology for the charity boxes.... Which are often targets for junky scum after a quick fix

Edit junky changed to kinky by auto correct. Let me state categorically I do not think kinky people are scum, in fact I am happy to embrace them, wearing a gimp suit and clamps.

Junky scum?

Blimey, way to go.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Cash out on 17:59 - Aug 2 with 2844 viewsJ2BLUE

Cash out on 17:53 - Aug 2 by Tangledupin_Blue

Wow... So your children could choose to draw more money, from your a/c, whenever they want something expensive.

Of course not. Do you know how direct debits work?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Cash out on 18:00 - Aug 2 with 2842 viewsfooters

Cash out on 17:58 - Aug 2 by jeera

Junky scum?

Blimey, way to go.

Bet dealers love getting paid in 2ps.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Cash out on 18:02 - Aug 2 with 2836 viewsfactual_blue

Are you Penny Smith?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Cash out on 18:05 - Aug 2 with 2831 viewsjeera

Cash out on 18:00 - Aug 2 by footers

Bet dealers love getting paid in 2ps.

I struggle with this one really.

Having been stolen from a few times by junkies I'm obviously not a fan, nor do I necessarily view them as the victim over me.

But I have witnessed what addiction does and know that in many cases if the person could be separated from the addiction the actions of the person would be different.

I don't know the answers btw, and I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses either, because I was pissed off when I was stolen from by people I tried to help, so the betrayal was there as well as financial loss.

But 'junky scum' isn't a great way to describe everyone in that position.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Cash out on 18:12 - Aug 2 with 2807 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Cash out on 17:59 - Aug 2 by J2BLUE

Of course not. Do you know how direct debits work?

Yes. The payee controls it.

Cash out on 18:14 - Aug 2 with 2789 viewsHerbivore

Cash out on 18:12 - Aug 2 by Tangledupin_Blue

I would imagine that what he actually has in place is a standing order rather than a direct debit.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Cash out on 18:16 - Aug 2 with 2774 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Cash out on 18:14 - Aug 2 by Herbivore

I would imagine that what he actually has in place is a standing order rather than a direct debit.

Would make a lot more sense.

Cash out on 18:17 - Aug 2 with 2773 viewsfooters

Cash out on 18:05 - Aug 2 by jeera

I struggle with this one really.

Having been stolen from a few times by junkies I'm obviously not a fan, nor do I necessarily view them as the victim over me.

But I have witnessed what addiction does and know that in many cases if the person could be separated from the addiction the actions of the person would be different.

I don't know the answers btw, and I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses either, because I was pissed off when I was stolen from by people I tried to help, so the betrayal was there as well as financial loss.

But 'junky scum' isn't a great way to describe everyone in that position.

Completely know where you're coming from.

I've spent days on end in [redacted]stoft looking in pawnbrokers for items stolen by a certain individual from his mother's house to feed his habit. His own mother. Time and again.

At one time there was another fella who I'd gladly have classed my enemy. We met and fell in hate instantly. Years later and he's thieving games and DVDs to flog at Cash Converters for scag. That's no life for anyone, and I can no longer enjoy our animosity. Heroin is a terrible drug.

They're vampires. It's so sad.

But the problem here isn't card or cash, it's a much wider societal issue. Less conservative legislation would certainly help in that regard imo, as would alleviating the depressing levels of desperation and hopelessness that many of our society find themselves in.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Cash out on 18:56 - Aug 2 with 2711 viewsSwansea_Blue

Cash out on 17:31 - Aug 2 by footers

Please replace the unnecessary z. I hope you copied and pasted that, but if not footers has his naughty stick handy.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2020 17:34]

Yep, that’ll teach me to be a lazy copy and paster.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Cash out on 18:57 - Aug 2 with 2707 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Cash out on 14:22 - Aug 2 by Herbivore

What are you on about?

A renter economy maybe.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Cash out on 18:58 - Aug 2 with 2703 viewsHerbivore

Cash out on 18:56 - Aug 2 by Swansea_Blue

Yep, that’ll teach me to be a lazy copy and paster.

I've lost all respect for you.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Cash out on 19:55 - Aug 2 with 2654 viewsPendejo

Cash out on 18:14 - Aug 2 by Herbivore

Yep apologies for wrong terminology.

Doh!

Standing order

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Cash out on 19:56 - Aug 2 with 2651 viewsPendejo

Cash out on 18:02 - Aug 2 by factual_blue

Are you Penny Smith?

I do not live in Kenos basement

uberima fides

Cash out on 20:11 - Aug 2 with 2623 viewsericclacton

Cash out on 13:40 - Aug 2 by Kropotkin123

Thank you all for the replies.

I must admit, and as I've said to a couple of you in private, the OP was inspired by the article Bluefish linked. And I have been somewhat disingenuous in my motivations for writing the original post.

The people I associate with and I are in similar situations and cultural environments. Where largely we don't use cash unless we are forced to. So after reading the article of elder members of society being denied goods as simple as bread because they don't carry cards, I wanted to see how much push back there would be to a cashless society.

I do think that we will eventually get a cashless society, but I think it will be decades until cash is completely out.

I thought some of the reasoning and rationality for why it is still important and relevant interesting. And I found counter scenarios like the cards used at tuc shops equally so.

So, yeah, just wanted to say thanks, sorry and admit my motivations.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2020 13:41]

Don't mention it Krapps.

Cash out on 20:14 - Aug 2 with 2615 viewsPendejo

Cash out on 13:38 - Aug 2 by Ryorry

Well I'm sorry if it appeared to be a bit strong, I guess after a dozen people had given him their good reasons for retaining cash, & his response to that three times being "where there's a will there's a way" left me pretty irritated!

People get really irritable in warm weather for some reason.

I don't know why anyone would get so irritated by my challenging their beliefs, unless of course, those beliefs are easily challenged and undermined.

The phrase, where there is a will there's a way is a nice little ambiguous catch all, but it is true. However, take this thread, for example, I would assert the will is not there in TWTD world, which in this case probably reflects the wider world.

So, please all forgive me my right to hold a different opinion, oh and as for the what if no telephone line or internet access posts.... I take it you are under 40 years old and don't remember how card transactions used to happen, before the internet and didn't use electricity.

Harking back to Colombia, sorry to be boring, due to the nature of the country, much of the rural internet has been via satellite and had been for over 20 years.... Where there's a wil....

uberima fides

Cash out on 20:32 - Aug 2 with 2599 viewsJ2BLUE

Cash out on 18:12 - Aug 2 by Tangledupin_Blue

Yes you are right. My bad.

I think of direct debits and standing orders as the same thing.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Cash out on 20:57 - Aug 2 with 2569 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Cash out on 20:32 - Aug 2 by J2BLUE

Yes you are right. My bad.

I think of direct debits and standing orders as the same thing.

Cash out on 21:17 - Aug 2 with 2545 viewsAlan_Handsome

I pretty much aklways use cash. Never had my bank card cloned. My system works.

You can't polish a turd....but you can sprinkle it with glitter!

Cash out on 22:58 - Aug 2 with 2504 viewsClapham_Junction

Cash out on 11:58 - Aug 2 by Ryorry

And charity collection tins, jars on counters etc.

It's all feasible. China is almost completely cashless now and small amounts of money (both payments in shops and transfers between friends and relatives) are mostly transferred through WeChat (a cross between WhatsApp and Facebook). Even beggars hold a piece of card with a QR code on that you can use to transfer money to them rather than asking for cash. Charity collection tins could be replaced with the same thing (which would also avoid them being nicked).
Cash out on 07:52 - Aug 3 with 2457 viewsLeaky

You could just limit cash transaction to say £100.00. As a trades person it is annoying when you agree a price, complete a job issue an invoice then on receipt of said invoice, you get that's a lot of vat can you loose it if I pay cash. I just say the vat has been paid.
Cash out on 08:20 - Aug 3 with 2438 viewsitfcjoe

Cash out on 22:58 - Aug 2 by Clapham_Junction

It's all feasible. China is almost completely cashless now and small amounts of money (both payments in shops and transfers between friends and relatives) are mostly transferred through WeChat (a cross between WhatsApp and Facebook). Even beggars hold a piece of card with a QR code on that you can use to transfer money to them rather than asking for cash. Charity collection tins could be replaced with the same thing (which would also avoid them being nicked).

I'd definitely want a nice Govt like the Chinese in charge of all my money, and being able to turn the tap off if I express a difference in opinion to them....

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024