Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
MP not suspended whilst under investigation. 19:50 - Aug 2 with 2184 viewsjeera

Is that right? I guess until found guilty of something maybe he should be allowed to work, but given the nature of the accusations is it appropriate?

Isn't it the norm for MPs to be suspended when serious accusations are being looked into? Although the last one to be convicted of sexual conduct [this week] was also allowed to continue without suspension.

I don't really want an argument. I am more interested in people's opinions.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/courts/conservative-mp-not-suspended-after-arrest

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

MP not suspended whilst under investigation. on 20:01 - Aug 2 with 2136 viewsbluelagos

The last one did have the whip withdrawn when charged with rape. This was then returned when there was a vote of confidence the govt were worried it might lose.

He was then deselected and his wife chosen to stand his seat, while he fought the rape allegations.

As for the latest (alleged) rapist, I guess if they withdraw the whip now, he'd be effectively named. And they would be in effect saying they felt he was guilty before he was even charged.

Also of concern is that the Tory whip was spoken to by the victim and seems to have been aware of some of the allegations. Suspect more will come put on that part too.

Edit. Not sure my timeline on Elphick is correct. Wiki page says suspended upon allegations, reinistated for vote, suspended when charged....
[Post edited 2 Aug 2020 20:07]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

MP not suspended whilst under investigation. on 20:08 - Aug 2 with 2106 viewsfactual_blue

It would, I think depend on the nature of the offence, the nature of the accused job amongst other things.

However laws and rules are for little people, not tories.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

MP not suspended whilst under investigation. on 20:17 - Aug 2 with 2080 viewsPendejo

Would have thought suspension would only be imposed if the individual were in a position to influence the investigation; i.e. If the victim or any witnesses for the victim still worked there.

Otherwise, innocent unless proven guilty

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

MP not suspended whilst under investigation. on 20:30 - Aug 2 with 2059 viewsjeera

MP not suspended whilst under investigation. on 20:17 - Aug 2 by Pendejo

Would have thought suspension would only be imposed if the individual were in a position to influence the investigation; i.e. If the victim or any witnesses for the victim still worked there.

Otherwise, innocent unless proven guilty

Yes, quite possibly so.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

MP not suspended whilst under investigation. on 20:33 - Aug 2 with 2052 viewsWD19

Presumably the issue here is that suspending him is akin to naming him.
MP not suspended whilst under investigation. on 08:46 - Aug 3 with 1842 viewsGlasgowBlue

MP not suspended whilst under investigation. on 20:33 - Aug 2 by WD19

Presumably the issue here is that suspending him is akin to naming him.

If the MP is named then the victim’s identity will also be known as she was a member of his staff. I believe naming the victim is a criminal offence.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2020 8:46]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

MP not suspended whilst under investigation. on 08:49 - Aug 3 with 1828 viewsHerbivore

It's a tricky one as it would be impossible to remove the whip and preserve anyonmity. What's interesting is that the police have tended to take the line with sexual offed ces that they should name the alleged perpetrator so that other potential victims might come forward. They seem to be taking a different tack here. The likes of Cliff Richard and Matthew Kelly weren't afforded the same protection despite any claims against them ultimately being baseless.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

MP not suspended whilst under investigation. on 10:30 - Aug 3 with 1764 viewsBlueBadger

Boris will probably make an announcement later today to boast that 363 Tory MPs are NOT rapists.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

MP not suspended whilst under investigation. on 10:53 - Aug 3 with 1738 viewsSwansea_Blue

MP not suspended whilst under investigation. on 10:30 - Aug 3 by BlueBadger

Boris will probably make an announcement later today to boast that 363 Tory MPs are NOT rapists.

At least that they're aware of...

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

MP not suspended whilst under investigation. on 13:49 - Aug 3 with 1671 viewsGlasgowBlue

Some more background on the procedure.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/only-one-mp-opposes-rules-prevent

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024