Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Advertising a job. 20:56 - Aug 2 with 3717 viewscatch74

What about this role excites you and made you want to apply? Please describe your interest in working with us.

Salary and easy transport

Well at least he’s honest, may need to up his game a bit in the current climate though.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Advertising a job. on 20:58 - Aug 2 with 3396 viewsjeera

Fluffer?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Advertising a job. on 21:00 - Aug 2 with 3386 viewscatch74

Advertising a job. on 20:58 - Aug 2 by jeera

Fluffer?

Ssshhh, didn’t want to add detail.

Kitchen staff in reality. Hoping someone might say they’re passionate about fresh food or something crazy like that.

Advertising a job. on 21:03 - Aug 2 with 3355 viewsjeera

Advertising a job. on 21:00 - Aug 2 by catch74

Ssshhh, didn’t want to add detail.

Kitchen staff in reality. Hoping someone might say they’re passionate about fresh food or something crazy like that.

If it's kitchen staff you're after, you might want to make it sound less like you're advertising for a fluffer.

You can't be too careful nowadays you know.

Advertising a job. on 21:06 - Aug 2 with 3338 viewscatch74

Advertising a job. on 21:03 - Aug 2 by jeera

If it's kitchen staff you're after, you might want to make it sound less like you're advertising for a fluffer.

You can't be too careful nowadays you know.

I’m kind of hoping a fluffer applies now, I never met one (well I might have but they haven’t let it be known.)

Advertising a job. on 21:07 - Aug 2 with 3330 viewsBloomBlue

Surely the honest answer to any question re a job being advertised is 'salary'?
Advertising a job. on 21:10 - Aug 2 with 3306 viewsjeera

Advertising a job. on 21:07 - Aug 2 by BloomBlue

Job satisfaction.

Advertising a job. on 21:12 - Aug 2 with 3299 viewscatch74

Advertising a job. on 21:07 - Aug 2 by BloomBlue

I think you’re right. Just maybe need to show a bit of enthusiasm about what the job entails surely?

Advertising a job. on 21:13 - Aug 2 with 3289 viewscatch74

Advertising a job. on 21:10 - Aug 2 by jeera

Job satisfaction.

Wait a minute, now I think you’re right too.

Login to get fewer ads

Advertising a job. on 21:14 - Aug 2 with 3283 viewsBloomBlue

Advertising a job. on 21:10 - Aug 2 by jeera

Job satisfaction.

You only use that when you're so pissed off with your current job as it's shlt and the salary is cr@p and in the interview you don't t want to say 'the salary is better in this job' so you use corporate bullshlt like 'job satisfaction'
Advertising a job. on 22:13 - Aug 2 with 3213 viewsjeera

Advertising a job. on 21:14 - Aug 2 by BloomBlue

You only use that when you're so pissed off with your current job as it's shlt and the salary is cr@p and in the interview you don't t want to say 'the salary is better in this job' so you use corporate bullshlt like 'job satisfaction'

I was still going with the fluffer theme, but it's a fair point you make.

Advertising a job. on 22:18 - Aug 2 with 3207 viewscatch74

Advertising a job. on 22:13 - Aug 2 by jeera

I was still going with the fluffer theme, but it's a fair point you make.

A fair point - ooh matron.

Advertising a job. on 22:47 - Aug 2 with 3173 viewsBLUEBEAT

Honesty over brown-nosing

I like it

Poll: W or W

Advertising a job. on 22:56 - Aug 2 with 3149 viewscatch74

Advertising a job. on 22:47 - Aug 2 by BLUEBEAT

Honesty over brown-nosing

I like it

I’d written him off, might have to interview him now.

Advertising a job. on 23:00 - Aug 2 with 3144 viewsJ2BLUE

With respect, it's an incredibly stupid question.

For 95%+ of people the answer is the salary so why bother asking? I can understand if it's a job at NASA or something and someone says they are incredibly passionate about space but for the average job it's a stupid question. No one dreams of working in a call centre or stacking shelves at Tesco (or working in a pub...) so the whole thing is an exercise in bullsh1t.

Give them some honesty points.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Advertising a job. on 23:54 - Aug 2 with 3069 viewscatch74

Advertising a job. on 23:00 - Aug 2 by J2BLUE

With respect, it's an incredibly stupid question.

For 95%+ of people the answer is the salary so why bother asking? I can understand if it's a job at NASA or something and someone says they are incredibly passionate about space but for the average job it's a stupid question. No one dreams of working in a call centre or stacking shelves at Tesco (or working in a pub...) so the whole thing is an exercise in bullsh1t.

Give them some honesty points.

It’s through indeed, they’ve added in these questions (although I think I can leave them out) - I’m advertising using anything I can.
With respect, in return though - we are looking for a full time position, in a fresh food pub, someone who will get trained up to general manager (in my dream world.) I need to know they’re passionate about this industry or they just won’t be right for the job. This person will be the most valuable employee to me and my family and my business - hopefully for the next couple of years.
So I hope one or two of them can take the time to impress with their application and interview.

Advertising a job. on 01:52 - Aug 3 with 3001 viewsjeera

Advertising a job. on 23:54 - Aug 2 by catch74

It’s through indeed, they’ve added in these questions (although I think I can leave them out) - I’m advertising using anything I can.
With respect, in return though - we are looking for a full time position, in a fresh food pub, someone who will get trained up to general manager (in my dream world.) I need to know they’re passionate about this industry or they just won’t be right for the job. This person will be the most valuable employee to me and my family and my business - hopefully for the next couple of years.
So I hope one or two of them can take the time to impress with their application and interview.

Yeah I genuinely think maybe J2 has this at least a bit wrong.

Sure salary etc, but I do know people who love their line of work.

God forbid I'd ever be lucky enough to be one of them, but I do, or have, known some.

And some of those have been chefs. The hours mind you...
[Post edited 3 Aug 2020 2:10]

Advertising a job. on 07:59 - Aug 3 with 2892 viewsKropotkin123

Where are you advertising? If it is an online job board then you need to repeat key search terms so when people looking for your job type in their searches they actually find it. But... don't have the same phrases too close together as the algorithms are good enough to consider them as one instance if it seems like spam.

Put the actual salary, not "market rate", etc.

Don't ask questions like that in the job ad. If you must ask such bland questions, then do t in the interview.

better to set a relevant task. Something I do is get them to answer a relevant logical question. If they don't know the answer, then explain the method. then later on ask them a similar question to show they listen and apply what you tell them. You want to know that people listen and care to learn tasks you set them. Don't just hunt for the finished article.

If you want more details, DM me

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Advertising a job. on 08:47 - Aug 3 with 2849 viewsOldsmoker

At job interviews, when asked what would you do if you won the lottery?
The best reply I've heard is "Tell you to F*ck off" whilst pointing at the person who asked the question.
But only if you don't want the job.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Advertising a job. on 09:08 - Aug 3 with 2824 viewscatch74

Advertising a job. on 07:59 - Aug 3 by Kropotkin123

Where are you advertising? If it is an online job board then you need to repeat key search terms so when people looking for your job type in their searches they actually find it. But... don't have the same phrases too close together as the algorithms are good enough to consider them as one instance if it seems like spam.

Put the actual salary, not "market rate", etc.

Don't ask questions like that in the job ad. If you must ask such bland questions, then do t in the interview.

better to set a relevant task. Something I do is get them to answer a relevant logical question. If they don't know the answer, then explain the method. then later on ask them a similar question to show they listen and apply what you tell them. You want to know that people listen and care to learn tasks you set them. Don't just hunt for the finished article.

If you want more details, DM me

Thanks Kropotkin, it’s just a light hearted post about someone giving an honest answer to a bland question (set by indeed - but my personal choice to include.) My point of view was that maybe he should give an answer that would help him stand out from other interviewees. As others have said maybe being honest was a good response anyway. It’s got to be said the rest of his cv doesn’t fill me with excitement though.
We use Indeed, Gumtree and the Caterer for job adverts - I’m not unfamiliar with interviews and technique - I must have done thousands and thousands over the years. The last company I worked for were very good with training with regards to this too. All help gratefully received though and I know from your posting on here that your very thorough and detailed on most subjects.
We really are looking for someone to develop into the role, work in our way - so your final paragraph is perfect advice.

Advertising a job. on 11:16 - Aug 3 with 2759 viewsWeWereZombies

I often used to ask 'What are the prospects for promotion?', mostly this was my way of saying I have not been impressed with what is on offer and I wanted to give the interviewer the impression that I would be after their job if they took me on. However, in my last job before retiring I was offered my interviewer's job a few months after being taken on. I didn't really want the job I had but I certainly didn't want his humdrum job.

I think in catering the answer to the promotion question is that if you are good at your job then you get to order the food as well as preparing it. Which means you get to spend an additional two hours in the stock room every Sunday evening for the same money.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Advertising a job. on 10:28 - Aug 5 with 2593 viewsKropotkin123

Advertising a job. on 09:08 - Aug 3 by catch74

Thanks Kropotkin, it’s just a light hearted post about someone giving an honest answer to a bland question (set by indeed - but my personal choice to include.) My point of view was that maybe he should give an answer that would help him stand out from other interviewees. As others have said maybe being honest was a good response anyway. It’s got to be said the rest of his cv doesn’t fill me with excitement though.
We use Indeed, Gumtree and the Caterer for job adverts - I’m not unfamiliar with interviews and technique - I must have done thousands and thousands over the years. The last company I worked for were very good with training with regards to this too. All help gratefully received though and I know from your posting on here that your very thorough and detailed on most subjects.
We really are looking for someone to develop into the role, work in our way - so your final paragraph is perfect advice.

Sorry, upon re-reading my post the "bland" comment comes across in an abrupt/rude tone.

There aren't many more despised industries than recruitment. I've heard the UK scene is particularly bad. But for the last 3y its been my area of expertise. I manage a recruitment team and head-hunt IT professionals for financial and government organisations in mainland Europe - European Commission, EIB, ABN AMRO, GAIN Capital gives a spread of the organisations I work with on a day-to-day basis.

I help people relocate across Europe for these roles. So it is quite different to the UK market which is more profit-driven and rewarding for dishonest people. In contrast, if I were to be dishonest, they would just return home.

But, yeah, I try my best to speak from positions of strength and show an open hand on my limitations.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2020 10:30]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.

Advertising a job. on 10:33 - Aug 5 with 2578 viewsDanTheMan

Advertising a job. on 10:28 - Aug 5 by Kropotkin123

Sorry, upon re-reading my post the "bland" comment comes across in an abrupt/rude tone.

There aren't many more despised industries than recruitment. I've heard the UK scene is particularly bad. But for the last 3y its been my area of expertise. I manage a recruitment team and head-hunt IT professionals for financial and government organisations in mainland Europe - European Commission, EIB, ABN AMRO, GAIN Capital gives a spread of the organisations I work with on a day-to-day basis.

I help people relocate across Europe for these roles. So it is quite different to the UK market which is more profit-driven and rewarding for dishonest people. In contrast, if I were to be dishonest, they would just return home.

But, yeah, I try my best to speak from positions of strength and show an open hand on my limitations.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2020 10:30]

"There aren't many more despised industries than recruitment"

Speaking as one of those IT professionals, the amount of absolute nonsense you receive through LinkedIn is mindblowing.

In particular my favourite messages are ones bigging up a company without telling you:
- What they actually do
- What the position is
- Where they are based
- What the salary is

They instead spend paragraphs talking about how wonderful the company is. Bonus points if they do so when revealing they use tech that is 5 or 6 years out of date, or just plain getting words completely wrong.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Advertising a job. on 10:51 - Aug 5 with 2545 viewsKropotkin123

Advertising a job. on 10:33 - Aug 5 by DanTheMan

"There aren't many more despised industries than recruitment"

Speaking as one of those IT professionals, the amount of absolute nonsense you receive through LinkedIn is mindblowing.

In particular my favourite messages are ones bigging up a company without telling you:
- What they actually do
- What the position is
- Where they are based
- What the salary is

They instead spend paragraphs talking about how wonderful the company is. Bonus points if they do so when revealing they use tech that is 5 or 6 years out of date, or just plain getting words completely wrong.

The amount of generic nonsense... Essentially they spend 5mins building a list based on technologies they need and mass-market to 2k. I receive them from rec-to-rec people. Because it is such a generic list they will be hitting recruiters too, so they don't want to advertise jobs to other recruiters.

Even I get hit for IT jobs, despite the extent of my coding is basic VBA or Javascript when using excel or google sheets, or reading a little HTML to find colours or to run an importxml/importhtml function.

I'd advise taking out tech that you've used in the past and no longer want to work in, if possible. Eg, if you were a Junior ColdFusion Developer for 3 months, 20 years ago. then just put Developer. Then lazy people won't hit you for junior roles and ColdFusion roles. Even then, you're at the mercy of people who don't care how many people they hit, so long as one of them sticks.

Advertising a job. on 10:55 - Aug 5 with 2533 viewstractorboy1978

Always baffles me when companies don't put the salary in the job description. I'm not someone motivated by money but the salary is clearly a key component.
Advertising a job. on 11:43 - Aug 5 with 2490 viewsJ2BLUE

Advertising a job. on 10:55 - Aug 5 by tractorboy1978

Always baffles me when companies don't put the salary in the job description. I'm not someone motivated by money but the salary is clearly a key component.

Agents are especially bad. 'Competitive salary'. Sorry but i'm an Ipswich fan. Competitive meant finishing 15th. Competitive with what?

I've found most agencies ask what I want to do and what salary I expect (nothing unrealistic) then they try and baffle me with things like 'dealing with incoming communication in an office based environment' when I said no call centres and 'competitive salary' about £4-5k below what I said I wanted. Then they get really stroppy if you say you're not interested and never contact you again.

Last time I posted something like this a couple of decent TWTDers PM'd me to assure me they worked for agencies and didn't act like this which I entirely believe so decent agencies/agents are available but the above is my experience. What really pisses me off is when they try and force you to go for an interview knowing it's not at all what you want and then when you fairly demand details first they have a tantrum.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024