Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bret Pitman keen on a return? 10:44 - Aug 3 with 10073 viewsSwailsey

Yes please.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 10:47 - Aug 3 with 4011 viewsLibero

Ooooh, has this actually been stated somewhere? - I'd be surprised, but I'd most certainly love to have him back here.
Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 10:49 - Aug 3 with 3986 viewsitfcjoe

No thanks.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 10:49 - Aug 3 with 3983 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 10:47 - Aug 3 by Libero

Ooooh, has this actually been stated somewhere? - I'd be surprised, but I'd most certainly love to have him back here.

Bottom of Phil's article about Dundee looking at Norwood and Toto.

Says he's intersted in a return.

I know it's not building for the future, but if letting Norwood go would also swing the Toto deal and we could get Pitman back for a year as a replacement for Norwood, that'd do me.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 10:50 - Aug 3 with 3976 viewsLibero

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 10:49 - Aug 3 by Swansea_Blue

Bottom of Phil's article about Dundee looking at Norwood and Toto.

Says he's intersted in a return.

I know it's not building for the future, but if letting Norwood go would also swing the Toto deal and we could get Pitman back for a year as a replacement for Norwood, that'd do me.

Cheers for the reference point.

Interesting, but genuinely surprised he's keen on a return.
Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 10:50 - Aug 3 with 3973 viewsportmanking

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 10:49 - Aug 3 by itfcjoe

No thanks.

Ditto.

A) Not the kind of striker we need
B) Led to believe he was a rather unlikeable character in the dressing room
Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 10:51 - Aug 3 with 3970 viewsclive_baker

Brett 'the hit man' Pitman?

Best thing he did at Town was to b0llock Knudsen and let him know in no uncertain terms how sh1t he was.

But, nah, you're alright thanks. Not what we need right now.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 10:53 - Aug 3 with 3939 viewsBluefish

Err no thanks. We would need a target man, someone to hold the ball up for the players that we have coming through. This is definitely not Pitman. Just because he is big doesn't make him a target man or a hold up player.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 10:53 - Aug 3 with 3939 viewsLibero

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 10:50 - Aug 3 by portmanking

Ditto.

Wasn't scared of handing out b0llockings, sometimes went a bit too far.

Myles Kenlock probably won't be too happy to see him rock up again...
Login to get fewer ads

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 10:54 - Aug 3 with 3927 viewsIpswichKnight

No Thanks

Nothing to do with the fact that he was chased out of Portsmouth and no one wants him now then.
Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 10:54 - Aug 3 with 3927 viewsLibero

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 10:51 - Aug 3 by clive_baker

Brett 'the hit man' Pitman?

Best thing he did at Town was to b0llock Knudsen and let him know in no uncertain terms how sh1t he was.

But, nah, you're alright thanks. Not what we need right now.

I felt for Pitman re: Knudsen.

No matter what way Pitman wanted the ball Jonas would give it to him the polar opposite of, can't imagine how frustrating that is to play with.
Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 10:55 - Aug 3 with 3923 viewsWallingford_Boy

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 10:50 - Aug 3 by portmanking

Ditto.

A striker that knows where the net is? I'd say its just what we need.

Jacko is not a goalscorer.
Sears doesn't seem half the player he was/still coming back from injury, not a goalscorer.
Doubts over Norwood at this level, also hardly clinical in front of goal.

Pitman done it at this level and higher, scored goals wherever he's been.

Its not all about the big lump up front anymore you know, its 2020!

RIP Sir Bobby

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 10:55 - Aug 3 with 3924 viewsSwailsey

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 10:53 - Aug 3 by Bluefish

Err no thanks. We would need a target man, someone to hold the ball up for the players that we have coming through. This is definitely not Pitman. Just because he is big doesn't make him a target man or a hold up player.

Is he not a similar, but better version of Keane though? Can hold the ball up a little, decent in the air, poacher? Just seems we're very light up top at the moment with Keane and Roberts gone and speculation around Norwood and Jackson.

I had forgotten that he was apparently a bit of a problem around the place though to be fair.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 10:56 - Aug 3 with 3915 viewsLibero

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 10:55 - Aug 3 by Swailsey

Is he not a similar, but better version of Keane though? Can hold the ball up a little, decent in the air, poacher? Just seems we're very light up top at the moment with Keane and Roberts gone and speculation around Norwood and Jackson.

I had forgotten that he was apparently a bit of a problem around the place though to be fair.

I think it's overstating it to say he was "a bit of a problem around the place" - he was just a whinger.
Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 10:57 - Aug 3 with 3898 viewsLibero

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 10:54 - Aug 3 by IpswichKnight

No Thanks

Nothing to do with the fact that he was chased out of Portsmouth and no one wants him now then.

37 goals in 84 appearances for Portsmouth since he left us, all in this division...
Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 10:59 - Aug 3 with 3879 viewsportmanking

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 10:55 - Aug 3 by Wallingford_Boy

A striker that knows where the net is? I'd say its just what we need.

Jacko is not a goalscorer.
Sears doesn't seem half the player he was/still coming back from injury, not a goalscorer.
Doubts over Norwood at this level, also hardly clinical in front of goal.

Pitman done it at this level and higher, scored goals wherever he's been.

Its not all about the big lump up front anymore you know, its 2020!

Where did I say we needed a big lump?

We do need someone that has the ability to rough defenders up though. Pitman is/was a decent finisher in his prime, there's no doubting that, but there's not much else to his game and he's a bl00dy sod when the chips are down. That's before mentioning that he'll be 33 in January too.

We need to look forward not back. Hopefully the recruitment for 2020/21 is looking ahead to the next 3/4 years rather than six months.
Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 11:00 - Aug 3 with 3865 viewsWallingford_Boy

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 10:57 - Aug 3 by Libero

37 goals in 84 appearances for Portsmouth since he left us, all in this division...

Although i've just noticed he hardly played last season, I thought he was a regular, so maybe his time has been and gone....

RIP Sir Bobby

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 11:00 - Aug 3 with 3860 viewsGarv

My impression was that he didn't enjoy the ball being walloped at this throat all game.

Might be wrong.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 11:01 - Aug 3 with 3840 viewsclive_baker

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 10:54 - Aug 3 by Libero

I felt for Pitman re: Knudsen.

No matter what way Pitman wanted the ball Jonas would give it to him the polar opposite of, can't imagine how frustrating that is to play with.

Definitely. McGoldrick was similar. I think the issue was they're both good footballers, technically. Not blessed with great pace but a really nice touch, technique, and can finish. Both liked to drop in between the oppositions defence and midfield in 'the hole' and show for the ball to feet, but when you've got a left back with a default position of pumping long balls down the line in the broad direction of your 'big man', your patience is going to wear thin after a while.

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 11:02 - Aug 3 with 3794 viewsGarv

I'd have him, albeit he isn't the physical target man we need. I was annoyed he went last time.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 11:02 - Aug 3 with 3791 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 10:53 - Aug 3 by Bluefish

There's still room for a target man. Keanes' gone. If Norwood goes that only leaves us with Jackson and Sears as forwards. You'd think we'd want two more out and out strikers, one of whom could be a lump.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 11:03 - Aug 3 with 3791 viewsLibero

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 11:01 - Aug 3 by clive_baker

Definitely. McGoldrick was similar. I think the issue was they're both good footballers, technically. Not blessed with great pace but a really nice touch, technique, and can finish. Both liked to drop in between the oppositions defence and midfield in 'the hole' and show for the ball to feet, but when you've got a left back with a default position of pumping long balls down the line in the broad direction of your 'big man', your patience is going to wear thin after a while.

Poor Jonas, had zero footballing intelligence.

Reminded me of when you need to make up the numbers for a Sunday game so you grab a mate that you know is physically fit but hasn't played much football in his life.

That season he somehow got a bunch of assists gave people a great shield to defend him with, but he was a god awful footballer.
Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 11:08 - Aug 3 with 3729 viewsclive_baker

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 11:03 - Aug 3 by Libero

Poor Jonas, had zero footballing intelligence.

Reminded me of when you need to make up the numbers for a Sunday game so you grab a mate that you know is physically fit but hasn't played much football in his life.

That season he somehow got a bunch of assists gave people a great shield to defend him with, but he was a god awful footballer.

That's a good analogy. They always had weird nicknames that you would be embarrassed to shout during a match.

"Hi I'm Pete but you can call me Snake".

"Nah you're alright mate, i'll stick to Pete. Someone I know might be watching".

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 11:10 - Aug 3 with 3714 viewsLibero

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 11:08 - Aug 3 by clive_baker

That's a good analogy. They always had weird nicknames that you would be embarrassed to shout during a match.

"Hi I'm Pete but you can call me Snake".

"Nah you're alright mate, i'll stick to Pete. Someone I know might be watching".

"Yeah, I don't really play much football, I prefer indoor rock climbing"
Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 11:12 - Aug 3 with 3695 viewsBluefish

Similar to Keane in that they can't win the ball aerials but Keane offers far more link up play on the deck. Pitman is a last line attacker looking for goals, closer comparison is a slower dj Campbell. Keane is a poor man's McGoldrick in comparison that he has a beautiful touch and drops deep.

Pitman clearly had some attitude issues, my son has his shirt in his room from his last match because he left the match in a hump and threw it to him saying he doesnt need it anymore.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Bret Pitman keen on a return? on 11:13 - Aug 3 with 3689 viewsPhilTWTD

While I've heard he'd be up for it, I don't think it's a likely prospect.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024