Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Imagine how bad it would have been if Jezza had won! 07:29 - Aug 4 with 2745 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/aug/04/number-of-uk-citizens-emigratin

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Imagine how bad it would have been if Jezza had won! on 09:48 - Aug 4 with 2610 viewshampstead_blue

This could be a ten pager.......

it's only 28,000 more and if it's in the first 3 months then that probably was pre-planned.

You don't wake-up and think..."Darling we are off to live in France, pack the cat".....
The inference that many 'decided to leave quickly' shows a real lack of forethought and planning.

I'm going to leave it there as I'm not well right now so am not really up for a TWTD skirmish.
Would love to debate this is a polite and relaxed manner but sadly can't today.

Have fun with the thread though.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Imagine how bad it would have been if Jezza had won! on 09:59 - Aug 4 with 2583 viewsLibero

Imagine how bad it would have been if Jezza had won! on 09:48 - Aug 4 by hampstead_blue

it's only 28,000 more and if it's in the first 3 months then that probably was pre-planned.

You don't wake-up and think..."Darling we are off to live in France, pack the cat".....
The inference that many 'decided to leave quickly' shows a real lack of forethought and planning.

I'm going to leave it there as I'm not well right now so am not really up for a TWTD skirmish.

I know a good number of people who in the wake of Brexit decided to "return home" after experiencing hostility in the wake of brexit. Some of these people held British passports and would contribute to the numbers shown.

Regardless, that kind of increase can't really be written off as a coincidence.
Imagine how bad it would have been if Jezza had won! on 10:05 - Aug 4 with 2561 viewsHerbivore

Imagine how bad it would have been if Jezza had won! on 09:48 - Aug 4 by hampstead_blue

Not sure that explains such a big increase. I was reading an article the other day suggesting that we're also seeing a 'brain drain' in the UK because of Brexit with lots of researchers, scientists and the like leaving the country as they see the EU being a much more viable place to work effectively than a post-Brexit UK. I'll see if I can find it.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Imagine how bad it would have been if Jezza had won! on 10:22 - Aug 4 with 2525 viewsSwansea_Blue

No need for a ten pager.

It's a stupid idea that weakens us as a country and reduces opportunities for people. Some people think they'll be better off elsewhere. And have had 4 years to come to that conclusion, as the signs have been obvious. Simple as.

We haven't lost many Brits from work, but a number of former EU colleagues upped sticks and moved back into various EU countries. It's definitely triggered a brain drain for us.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Imagine how bad it would have been if Jezza had won! on 10:36 - Aug 4 with 2495 viewslongtimefan

Imagine how bad it would have been if Jezza had won! on 10:22 - Aug 4 by Swansea_Blue

No need for a ten pager.

It's a stupid idea that weakens us as a country and reduces opportunities for people. Some people think they'll be better off elsewhere. And have had 4 years to come to that conclusion, as the signs have been obvious. Simple as.

We haven't lost many Brits from work, but a number of former EU colleagues upped sticks and moved back into various EU countries. It's definitely triggered a brain drain for us.

What were their main reasons for doing so? I work in an office of 11 people, 4 of whom are EU nationals. They all have EU spouse working here too. None of them have seen or are expecting any Issues with continuing to work here or have considered returning home.
Imagine how bad it would have been if Jezza had won! on 11:07 - Aug 4 with 2455 viewsLibero

Imagine how bad it would have been if Jezza had won! on 10:36 - Aug 4 by longtimefan

What were their main reasons for doing so? I work in an office of 11 people, 4 of whom are EU nationals. They all have EU spouse working here too. None of them have seen or are expecting any Issues with continuing to work here or have considered returning home.

I think the people I know who decided to "move home" felt a tangible change in public consensus towards them and many experienced an overt increase of hostility towards any one with an eastern European accent.

When the referendum happened I was working in a High School, I can't tell you the amount of times that kids were called into the office for xenophobic/racist bullying in the run up to and after the result.
Imagine how bad it would have been if Jezza had won! on 11:35 - Aug 4 with 2420 viewslongtimefan

Imagine how bad it would have been if Jezza had won! on 11:07 - Aug 4 by Libero

I think the people I know who decided to "move home" felt a tangible change in public consensus towards them and many experienced an overt increase of hostility towards any one with an eastern European accent.

When the referendum happened I was working in a High School, I can't tell you the amount of times that kids were called into the office for xenophobic/racist bullying in the run up to and after the result.

Yep. I suppose you have to factor in the many Neanderthals in this country. I was more wondering if there were potential conditions applying that I was unaware of. Those in our office (and spouses) have all completed the forms giving them the right to continue working here and seem pretty relaxed about it.
Imagine how bad it would have been if Jezza had won! on 11:46 - Aug 4 with 2410 viewsHerbivore

Imagine how bad it would have been if Jezza had won! on 11:35 - Aug 4 by longtimefan

Yep. I suppose you have to factor in the many Neanderthals in this country. I was more wondering if there were potential conditions applying that I was unaware of. Those in our office (and spouses) have all completed the forms giving them the right to continue working here and seem pretty relaxed about it.

It depends what field you are in. I believe Swansea works in something research related (could be wrong) and in that field the possibility of EU funding and working collaboratively with colleagues from across other EU funded institutions and projects probably looks far more appealing than remaining in a post-Brexit UK. Other industries will face similar challenges, whilst plenty won't really face these issues at all.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Imagine how bad it would have been if Jezza had won! on 11:54 - Aug 4 with 2383 viewseireblue

Imagine how bad it would have been if Jezza had won! on 10:36 - Aug 4 by longtimefan

The story is mostly about U.K. nationals emigrating to the EU.

The people moving want to be in the EU and be able to move around freely.

The 4 EU nationals you mention can do that, and stay in the U.K. as well.
Imagine how bad it would have been if Jezza had won! on 13:26 - Aug 4 with 2289 viewslongtimefan

Imagine how bad it would have been if Jezza had won! on 11:54 - Aug 4 by eireblue

The story is mostly about U.K. nationals emigrating to the EU.

The people moving want to be in the EU and be able to move around freely.

The 4 EU nationals you mention can do that, and stay in the U.K. as well.

True, but I was replying to Swansea, who said it was EU nationals leaving his workplace rather than UK people and I was interested in their reasons.
Imagine how bad it would have been if Jezza had won! on 13:27 - Aug 4 with 2286 viewsLibero

Imagine how bad it would have been if Jezza had won! on 13:26 - Aug 4 by longtimefan

True, but I was replying to Swansea, who said it was EU nationals leaving his workplace rather than UK people and I was interested in their reasons.

There's quite a few people who hold two passports.
Imagine how bad it would have been if Jezza had won! on 16:34 - Aug 4 with 2179 viewsflimflam

Imagine how bad it would have been if Jezza had won! on 13:27 - Aug 4 by Libero

There's quite a few people who hold two passports.

Me being one of them

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Imagine how bad it would have been if Jezza had won! on 19:56 - Aug 4 with 2071 viewsnoggin

Imagine how bad it would have been if Jezza had won! on 16:34 - Aug 4 by flimflam

Me being one of them

And me, neither of them Norwegian. I will not renew my British passport though as it no longer has any benefits.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Imagine how bad it would have been if Jezza had won! on 20:49 - Aug 4 with 2025 viewsSwansea_Blue

Uncertainty over the access to EU funding mainly, and the prestige it brings. Even though the UK Government pledged to take over the payment of already-awarded EU research grants, the label of some EU schemes is more important on researchers' CVs than the money. We've still got plenty of EU nationals who've stayed of course, it depends on family situation, ambition, attitude towards risk, calibre of the person, etc.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Imagine how bad it would have been if Jezza had won! on 22:45 - Aug 4 with 1977 viewslinhdi

Imagine how bad it would have been if Jezza had won! on 11:07 - Aug 4 by Libero

Sorry, accidental downvote. Meant to be an uppie.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024