Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Play Dobra 08:50 - Aug 4 with 10677 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at the owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Play Dobra on 08:56 - Aug 4 with 7088 viewsHerbivore

It's only the under 23s.

I hope he gets a lot more game time this season but asking him to play week in and week out at 18/19 is a big ask. He's still developing physically as well as as a player. I'd look to rotate him and Lankester, assuming we can get Lankester fit. Give them both decent game time but also plenty of rest to safeguard against injuries. I fully expect Lambert to pick Gwion Edwards ahead of both.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Play Dobra on 09:02 - Aug 4 with 7046 viewsSwansea_Blue

Hmm, the only thing you have to consider there is that...

...it's only U23s

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Play Dobra on 09:04 - Aug 4 with 7036 viewsIpswichKnight

Play Dobra on 08:56 - Aug 4 by Herbivore

It's only the under 23s.

I hope he gets a lot more game time this season but asking him to play week in and week out at 18/19 is a big ask. He's still developing physically as well as as a player. I'd look to rotate him and Lankester, assuming we can get Lankester fit. Give them both decent game time but also plenty of rest to safeguard against injuries. I fully expect Lambert to pick Gwion Edwards ahead of both.

Certainly think he will play a lot more this season, we had to fend off interest from Brighton and Atalanta in January so I'd hope the new contract will mean he's going to play more ( otherwise he could have walked away in the summer for better clubs than us )

The one to watch is El-Miz he offers something we have badly missed a proper box to box midfielder who can run with the ball he can play both the 10 and 8 position and also carries a set piece threat. I'd want him to start more games than Dobra at the moment.
Play Dobra on 09:08 - Aug 4 with 7016 viewsBryanPlug

Play Dobra on 09:04 - Aug 4 by IpswichKnight

Certainly think he will play a lot more this season, we had to fend off interest from Brighton and Atalanta in January so I'd hope the new contract will mean he's going to play more ( otherwise he could have walked away in the summer for better clubs than us )

The one to watch is El-Miz he offers something we have badly missed a proper box to box midfielder who can run with the ball he can play both the 10 and 8 position and also carries a set piece threat. I'd want him to start more games than Dobra at the moment.

[content removed at owner's request]

Play Dobra on 09:20 - Aug 4 with 6958 viewsHerbivore

Play Dobra on 09:08 - Aug 4 by BryanPlug

You need a blend though. You can't play a team full of 20 year olds every week against hardened pros and expect to be successful. We haven't got the mix of youth and experience right and Lambert's reluctance to trust the kids last season was very frustrating, but throwing them all in at once isn't a great plan either.

I scored a goal like that once.... on 09:21 - Aug 4 with 6949 viewsBloots

....can I get a game?

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Play Dobra on 09:31 - Aug 4 with 6916 viewsITFC_96

Play Dobra on 08:56 - Aug 4 by Herbivore

It's only the under 23s.

Edwards couldn't do that against U18s in this league, let alone against the U23s for a team edging on the premier league.
Play Dobra on 10:10 - Aug 4 with 6807 viewsGuthrum

Play Dobra on 09:08 - Aug 4 by BryanPlug

But, on the other hand, Judge might be less likely to allow himself to be wound up by an opposition player resulting in a sending off. Youth might have skill and speed, but temperament (other than in exceptional cases) comes with age and experience*. That's one of the reasons why you have to introduce them gradually, mentored by older and more experienced pros.

I know it rather comes with his role, but even Flynn Downes still picks up a lot of cards.

* Or sometimes never comes at all.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Play Dobra on 10:12 - Aug 4 with 6787 viewsBryanPlug

Play Dobra on 09:31 - Aug 4 by ITFC_96

Edwards couldn't do that against U18s in this league, let alone against the U23s for a team edging on the premier league.

Play Dobra on 10:13 - Aug 4 with 6785 viewsIpswichKnight

Play Dobra on 10:10 - Aug 4 by Guthrum

But, on the other hand, Judge might be less likely to allow himself to be wound up by an opposition player resulting in a sending off. Youth might have skill and speed, but temperament (other than in exceptional cases) comes with age and experience*. That's one of the reasons why you have to introduce them gradually, mentored by older and more experienced pros.

I know it rather comes with his role, but even Flynn Downes still picks up a lot of cards.

* Or sometimes never comes at all.

As much as I love the idea of letting lose Lankester, Dobra, El Miz and Downes on League one we would allow ourselves to be kicked off the park by some of the gnarly old skool midfielders and centre halves in this league. We do need a bit of experience in our midfield and a few calm heads as well.
Play Dobra on 10:41 - Aug 4 with 6721 viewsHerbivore

Play Dobra on 10:12 - Aug 4 by BryanPlug

I don't think anyone has disagreed that a blend of youth and experience would be a good thing.

Play Dobra on 10:46 - Aug 4 with 6707 viewstractorboy1978

Play Dobra on 10:13 - Aug 4 by IpswichKnight

As much as I love the idea of letting lose Lankester, Dobra, El Miz and Downes on League one we would allow ourselves to be kicked off the park by some of the gnarly old skool midfielders and centre halves in this league. We do need a bit of experience in our midfield and a few calm heads as well.

The bigger issue for us last season was getting played off the park by teams that were more well drilled, that had more energy/mobility and passed and moved the ball with more quality/incisiveness.
Play Dobra on 11:38 - Aug 4 with 6604 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

He has to be in more match day squads, along with El Mizouni, whether you can rest your hat on them for a full season yet I doubt it.

I just don't want to see players like Judge and Nolan taking places on the bench ahead of them.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Play Dobra on 11:44 - Aug 4 with 6587 viewsIpswichKnight

Play Dobra on 11:38 - Aug 4 by TheTrueBlue1878

He has to be in more match day squads, along with El Mizouni, whether you can rest your hat on them for a full season yet I doubt it.

I just don't want to see players like Judge and Nolan taking places on the bench ahead of them.

They will get game time in the friendlies then we will all get excited until 14.01 on the 12th September when the team is announced and the midfield will be Edwards- Downes-Nolan-Judge. With the midfield subs being Skuse and Huws.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2020 11:46]
Play Dobra on 12:23 - Aug 4 with 6490 viewsBryanPlug

Play Dobra on 11:44 - Aug 4 by IpswichKnight

They will get game time in the friendlies then we will all get excited until 14.01 on the 12th September when the team is announced and the midfield will be Edwards- Downes-Nolan-Judge. With the midfield subs being Skuse and Huws.

Play Dobra on 12:57 - Aug 4 with 6415 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Play Dobra on 11:44 - Aug 4 by IpswichKnight

The sad reality is this is very likely to be the case.

The academy we have is probably going to be the foundation of any future success, for faults at the club, the academy can be very proud of the talented individuals they are producing now, but it then has to be up to the first team staff to develop them in the final stages into first team footballers.

Downes and Woolfenden are players that we would never be able to sign in the wider market from other clubs, but we can see that level of quality at Ipswich if we use the academy effectively.

When you see the likes of Dobra, El Mizouni, Lankester, Bishop and then further down Dozzell, Simpson, Morris, McGavin.

There are good players there, lets nurture them instead of stemming their developments at the expense of the likes of Nolan, Judge, Sears, they are not the key to the future of this club.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Play Dobra on 13:03 - Aug 4 with 6407 viewsfactual_blue

I don't know the rules of Dobra.

Do you need to throw a six to start?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Play Dobra on 13:11 - Aug 4 with 6382 viewsDarth_Koont

Unfortunately, I predict that Lambert picks Judge ahead of him whenever he can.

Pronouns: He/Him

Play Dobra on 13:14 - Aug 4 with 6366 viewsLibero

Play Dobra on 13:11 - Aug 4 by Darth_Koont

Unfortunately, I predict that Lambert picks Judge ahead of him whenever he can.

Is everyone now aware that Judge is sh1t? Or do I have to carry on pretending that he's going to nab a few goals and assists?
Play Dobra on 13:15 - Aug 4 with 6366 viewsIpswichKnight

Play Dobra on 12:57 - Aug 4 by TheTrueBlue1878

The sad reality is this is very likely to be the case.

The academy we have is probably going to be the foundation of any future success, for faults at the club, the academy can be very proud of the talented individuals they are producing now, but it then has to be up to the first team staff to develop them in the final stages into first team footballers.

Downes and Woolfenden are players that we would never be able to sign in the wider market from other clubs, but we can see that level of quality at Ipswich if we use the academy effectively.

When you see the likes of Dobra, El Mizouni, Lankester, Bishop and then further down Dozzell, Simpson, Morris, McGavin.

There are good players there, lets nurture them instead of stemming their developments at the expense of the likes of Nolan, Judge, Sears, they are not the key to the future of this club.

First off for Factual, Dobra is a double dice game and you need to throw a 1 and a 6 to start.

It's been a problem for ages that we produce decent and good quality footballers they get some games we then lose and the manager immediately reverts to playing proper blokes again and we hardly see the home grown talent again.

If you listen to Dyers pod cast with El-Miz it's quite enlightening to the clubs mentality, El-Miz and Dobra were playing in a team where if they lost it was just chalked up as one of those things, Dyer comes and changes that to if we lose it must hurt and we can't accept that, we want to win games not just turn up for the experience. That hopefully will translate to the first team when they play.
Play Dobra on 13:18 - Aug 4 with 6357 viewsLibero

Play Dobra on 13:15 - Aug 4 by IpswichKnight

First off for Factual, Dobra is a double dice game and you need to throw a 1 and a 6 to start.

It's been a problem for ages that we produce decent and good quality footballers they get some games we then lose and the manager immediately reverts to playing proper blokes again and we hardly see the home grown talent again.

If you listen to Dyers pod cast with El-Miz it's quite enlightening to the clubs mentality, El-Miz and Dobra were playing in a team where if they lost it was just chalked up as one of those things, Dyer comes and changes that to if we lose it must hurt and we can't accept that, we want to win games not just turn up for the experience. That hopefully will translate to the first team when they play.

Has it really been a problem for ages?

We consistently give young players a chance and there's a well trodden pathway from Academy to the first team.

Smith, Hyam, Bishop, Kenlock, Woolfenden, Downes, Dozzell - just a few off the top of my head who have been given opportunities to make a first team spot their own, some of those named have played a lot of minutes.
Play Dobra on 13:22 - Aug 4 with 6332 viewsSamWhiteUK

Play Dobra on 09:20 - Aug 4 by Herbivore

You need a blend though. You can't play a team full of 20 year olds every week against hardened pros and expect to be successful. We haven't got the mix of youth and experience right and Lambert's reluctance to trust the kids last season was very frustrating, but throwing them all in at once isn't a great plan either.

"You won't win anything with kids."
Play Dobra on 13:29 - Aug 4 with 6321 viewsDarth_Koont

Play Dobra on 13:14 - Aug 4 by Libero

Is everyone now aware that Judge is sh1t? Or do I have to carry on pretending that he's going to nab a few goals and assists?

I wouldn't say Judge is sh!t. But the result has been.

He's got a lot of good qualities like energy and enthusiasm for getting on the ball. But he's not nearly good enough to have a free role that makes us look disjointed in attack (and defenders behind him exposed).

It just hasn't paid off for Judge or the team. But after 18 months of trying I'm sure Lambert will still keep plugging away.

Pronouns: He/Him

Play Dobra on 13:31 - Aug 4 with 6302 viewsLibero

Play Dobra on 13:29 - Aug 4 by Darth_Koont

I wouldn't say Judge is sh!t. But the result has been.

He's got a lot of good qualities like energy and enthusiasm for getting on the ball. But he's not nearly good enough to have a free role that makes us look disjointed in attack (and defenders behind him exposed).

It just hasn't paid off for Judge or the team. But after 18 months of trying I'm sure Lambert will still keep plugging away.

Really doesn't look up to it, you need a bit more than running around a lot and looking keen.
No finesse, no vision, no goal threat.
No thank you, Alan.
I scored a goal like that once.... on 13:47 - Aug 4 with 6244 viewssolemio

I scored a goal like that once.... on 09:21 - Aug 4 by Bloots

....can I get a game?

I'll have a word with the manager of my local pub team.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024