Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Play Dobra 08:50 - Aug 4 with 10729 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at the owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Play Dobra on 13:48 - Aug 4 with 3550 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Play Dobra on 13:22 - Aug 4 by SamWhiteUK

"You won't win anything with kids."

Average age of the team that years was 26 though. We are talking about 18 year olds at a vastly lower level.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Play Dobra on 13:59 - Aug 4 with 3519 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Play Dobra on 09:20 - Aug 4 by Herbivore

You need a blend though. You can't play a team full of 20 year olds every week against hardened pros and expect to be successful. We haven't got the mix of youth and experience right and Lambert's reluctance to trust the kids last season was very frustrating, but throwing them all in at once isn't a great plan either.

I agree with this, you need a good blend. In our particular instance I would sway to more of the younger crop over a large amount of experienced pros. However I do also think it is important to have a blend of good experienced heads in there. But I think with Holy, Chambers, Skuse and even Norwood, KVY, it gives a solid base to allow the likes of Lankester, Dobra and El Mizouni to play and develop a lot more.

It is a balancing act certainly, I don't want to see that same reluctant to play the kids constantly instead of flitting appearances now and again, although you can't rock up and just play the u23's squad every week.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Play Dobra on 14:03 - Aug 4 with 3504 viewsDarth_Koont

Play Dobra on 13:59 - Aug 4 by TheTrueBlue1878

I agree with this, you need a good blend. In our particular instance I would sway to more of the younger crop over a large amount of experienced pros. However I do also think it is important to have a blend of good experienced heads in there. But I think with Holy, Chambers, Skuse and even Norwood, KVY, it gives a solid base to allow the likes of Lankester, Dobra and El Mizouni to play and develop a lot more.

It is a balancing act certainly, I don't want to see that same reluctant to play the kids constantly instead of flitting appearances now and again, although you can't rock up and just play the u23's squad every week.

Agree with all of this.

We also have a bloated squad which causes problems on the training ground and financially even before another year in League One and the effect of Covid-19 takes hold. So getting a leaner, meaner and younger (cheaper wages) squad makes sense whatever the first team looks like.

Pronouns: He/Him

Play Dobra on 14:08 - Aug 4 with 3496 viewsHerbivore

Play Dobra on 13:59 - Aug 4 by TheTrueBlue1878

We completely got the balance wrong last year and should have given more game time to the youngsters. Only 5 sides gave fewer minutes to under 23s than we did and I don't think it'd be unrealistic to suggest that few if any sides at this level can match the quality of our under 23 players. You need some solidity in the spine and some experienced heads but the kids need to play games around them.

We could easily have a midfield three with Downes, one of Bishop or El Miz, and then Skuse or Huws. Two youngsters, one with decent experience, and an old pro looks fine to me. I'd have Dobra and Lankester rotating as both need nursing through a season at this stage, playing wide of or just off Jackson and Norwood. Simpson on the bench as an option up top, Dozzell pushing for a place as well. Plenty of youngsters in and around the team then, with Woolfy a regular too, but still a good core of experience as well.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Play Dobra on 17:15 - Aug 4 with 3445 viewsBlueBadger

Play Dobra on 09:04 - Aug 4 by IpswichKnight

Certainly think he will play a lot more this season, we had to fend off interest from Brighton and Atalanta in January so I'd hope the new contract will mean he's going to play more ( otherwise he could have walked away in the summer for better clubs than us )

The one to watch is El-Miz he offers something we have badly missed a proper box to box midfielder who can run with the ball he can play both the 10 and 8 position and also carries a set piece threat. I'd want him to start more games than Dobra at the moment.

Lambert will give him regular starts, out of position, when he feels he's 'losing the crowd' and has already shelled out for a few pints.

The same people who were clamouring for him will then declare that 'Lambo' was right not to play him as he's clearly rubbish.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Play Dobra on 21:29 - Aug 4 with 3380 viewsChrisd

Play Dobra on 13:29 - Aug 4 by Darth_Koont

I wouldn't say Judge is sh!t. But the result has been.

He's got a lot of good qualities like energy and enthusiasm for getting on the ball. But he's not nearly good enough to have a free role that makes us look disjointed in attack (and defenders behind him exposed).

It just hasn't paid off for Judge or the team. But after 18 months of trying I'm sure Lambert will still keep plugging away.

I agree, I don’t believe AJ to be sh*t he does have a very good touch and he can play some sublime passes, but I am concerned about his legs watching him a few times last season he looked like a player who was running through treacle. He slows any impetus we have down to walking pace or so it appears.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Play Dobra on 00:55 - Aug 5 with 3348 viewsGarv

He's got a lot of good qualities like energy and enthusiasm for getting on the ball. But he's not nearly good enough to have a free role that makes us look disjointed in attack (and defenders behind him exposed).

It just hasn't paid off for Judge or the team. But after 18 months of trying I'm sure Lambert will still keep plugging away.

Think you'll find 18 months is a nonsense figure.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Play Dobra on 07:40 - Aug 5 with 3278 viewsHerbivore

Play Dobra on 00:55 - Aug 5 by Garv

18 months is how long he's been at the club isn't it?

Login to get fewer ads

Play Dobra on 07:40 - Aug 5 with 3279 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

How long do you think he’s been at the club?
[Post edited 5 Aug 2020 7:41]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Play Dobra on 07:46 - Aug 5 with 3266 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Agree with most of the comments in this thread - we shouldn’t be afraid to blood the youth at this level and the likes of Dobra can’t really offer much less than what we’ve seen from Judge, Edwards et al

Posted this in another thread recently which I think is key - we need a coherent strategy way to move forward as a club and for me leaning on the academy where we can is absolutely central to it:

Is it time to follow the Brentford model? by C_HealyIsAPleasure 31 Jul 2020 9:47
You can’t though, the whole point is that they are very good at the data approach as they have invested significantly in it - using funds saved from not running an academy etc. Realistically there is no way we would be able to do it as effectively without huge investment which isn’t going to happen

IMO rather than trying to jump on what another club is doing and coming up with a half-a*sed version we should be focusing on implementing an Ipswich model. For me that would be continuing to focus on the academy with a clear pathway into the team (which means managers actually being committed to blooding young players properly even if it takes them time to get up to speed). That would be coupled with accepting that the best of those players will ultimately move on - and then using those funds to both sign standout players from the lower divisions (a bit like the Hurst Summer but not en masse and looking a level above) plus sprinkling in the odd experienced FA and loans. Finally ensuring we hire managers that fit with this approach and keep some sense of continuity of playing style and approach, even if it doesn’t have to be exactly the same

Alas the above would need some thought, investment in the short term and patience, so probably isn’t going to be implemented anytime soon!

Play Dobra on 08:35 - Aug 5 with 3238 viewsitfcjoe

The problem is the free role shouldn't make us look disjointed, but a complete lack of structure around him does.

Judge had a very disappointing season, but I wouldn't write him off yet - missing pre season was a big deal as was being shunted round from position to position. He needs to step up big time, but he also needs to be given a platform to do so

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Play Dobra on 08:40 - Aug 5 with 3220 viewsHerbivore

Play Dobra on 08:35 - Aug 5 by itfcjoe

The problem is the free role shouldn't make us look disjointed, but a complete lack of structure around him does.

Judge had a very disappointing season, but I wouldn't write him off yet - missing pre season was a big deal as was being shunted round from position to position. He needs to step up big time, but he also needs to be given a platform to do so

I don't see any value in persisting with him to be honest. He's nearly 32 so isn't one for the future. His legs look absolutely gone, like he's running through treacle. He can't beat a man anymore which limits what he can do in that number 10 role. He's played 50+ games for us now and his contribution has been minimal. We have talented youngsters who are deserving of a chance in the role Judge plays. Time to move on from him I think.

Play Dobra on 08:49 - Aug 5 with 3205 viewsDarth_Koont

?

It's another way of saying he's been with us for a season and a half.

Play Dobra on 08:56 - Aug 5 with 3186 viewsDarth_Koont

Hmmm. Not so sure about that. As I say, I like him more generally but just haven't seen him have a particularly beneficial effect on the team.

I think it's a case of the wrong player at the wrong time. But here's hoping it's a fitness/positional issue.

Play Dobra on 09:42 - Aug 5 with 3143 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Play Dobra on 09:45 - Aug 5 with 3130 viewsHerbivore

Play Dobra on 09:42 - Aug 5 by BryanPlug

Probably because his legs have gone and he looks totally shot.

Play Dobra on 09:47 - Aug 5 with 3120 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Play Dobra on 09:42 - Aug 5 by BryanPlug

For the same reason that he was also offering very little for Brentford post-injury, hence why they were quite happy to let him go

Play Dobra on 09:49 - Aug 5 with 3116 viewsLibero

Play Dobra on 09:47 - Aug 5 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

For the same reason that he was also offering very little for Brentford post-injury, hence why they were quite happy to let him go

Yup, there used to be a player in there but for whatever reason he's been shot to sh1t.
I'd love to eat my words when he bangs in 9 goals and grabs 10/11 assists next season, but in reality we will be lucky if he nabs more than 4 goals/4 assists.
Play Dobra on 10:01 - Aug 5 with 3091 viewsBryanPlug

Play Dobra on 09:47 - Aug 5 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Play Dobra on 10:02 - Aug 5 with 3089 viewsLibero

Play Dobra on 10:01 - Aug 5 by BryanPlug

Diagounara too, although he looked like Zidane compared to Douglas and Judge.
Play Dobra on 11:09 - Aug 6 with 3005 viewsGarv

Play Dobra on 08:49 - Aug 5 by Darth_Koont

?

It's another way of saying he's been with us for a season and a half.

We've note played since mid March, so calling it 18 months is a bit misleading.

Play Dobra on 11:11 - Aug 6 with 2997 viewsHerbivore

Play Dobra on 11:09 - Aug 6 by Garv

It's factually accurate though. We signed him in January 2019, he's been here just over 18 months now actually. However you slice it, he's had plenty of time and plenty of opportunity to prove his worth and he's not done it.

Play Dobra on 13:25 - Aug 6 with 2956 viewsGarv

Play Dobra on 11:11 - Aug 6 by Herbivore

It's factually accurate though. We signed him in January 2019, he's been here just over 18 months now actually. However you slice it, he's had plenty of time and plenty of opportunity to prove his worth and he's not done it.

That's like saying KVY has been with here for 11+ months and not achieved what was expected, funnily enough because he's not been playing for the whole period of time.

'Judge hasn't proved his worth' - no problem with this statement, just no need to over-egg the time he's spent playing.

Play Dobra on 13:28 - Aug 6 with 2948 viewsHerbivore

Play Dobra on 13:25 - Aug 6 by Garv

That's like saying KVY has been with here for 11+ months and not achieved what was expected, funnily enough because he's not been playing for the whole period of time.

'Judge hasn't proved his worth' - no problem with this statement, just no need to over-egg the time he's spent playing.

Judge hasn't missed almost an entire season through injury since being here in the way that KVY has. He's been fit and available for selection for most of his time here. You're quibbling over nothing.

Play Dobra on 13:36 - Aug 6 with 2942 viewsDarth_Koont

Play Dobra on 11:09 - Aug 6 by Garv

He's been with us over 18 months. And it's still been a season and a half in actual playing terms.

Or do you mean Mick was with us for 4 and a half years because we now need to take out the 3-month summer breaks? And Didzy for about 2 years given those and his injury layoffs?

Nice to know.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024