Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... 15:00 - Aug 4 with 29097 viewsWeWereZombies

The next time anyone feels they have to absolutely win an argument, have the last say on a thread, pile in or claim to be piled into, maybe remember this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53607943

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 12:57 - Aug 5 with 4301 viewsRyorry

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 12:46 - Aug 5 by Libero

Yes, I'm taking the piss.

Yeah, we all know people like that and can relate to a degree. I was in a working band that toured extensively for a few years, I was grotesquely over weight, really mentally unwell and self harming a lot, yet every night I'd go out on stage and put on a polar opposite persona.

There's another subsection of people who struggle in the scenarios mentioned, who nobody has mentioned in this thread!
People who spend the majority of their life having everything work out for them.
If you spend enough time living your life and it all going relatively well without any real challenges, it appears to create a level of security and certainty which effects your ability to even consider that what you've done/said might not be right.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2020 12:54]

Well-known band? (feel free not to answer!). I'm guessing that must be a hard life & hardly conducive to treating your body or mind well.

Interesting theory in your second para - yes, I can see how that could happen, esp for those who had parent/s or guardian/s in childhood who constantly bigged them up when undeserved & never made them face having done or got something wrong.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 13:00 - Aug 5 with 4293 viewsBrixtonBlue

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 12:46 - Aug 5 by Libero

Yes, I'm taking the piss.

Yeah, we all know people like that and can relate to a degree. I was in a working band that toured extensively for a few years, I was grotesquely over weight, really mentally unwell and self harming a lot, yet every night I'd go out on stage and put on a polar opposite persona.

There's another subsection of people who struggle in the scenarios mentioned, who nobody has mentioned in this thread!
People who spend the majority of their life having everything work out for them.
If you spend enough time living your life and it all going relatively well without any real challenges, it appears to create a level of security and certainty which effects your ability to even consider that what you've done/said might not be right.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2020 12:54]

Who are these people?!?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 13:04 - Aug 5 with 4286 viewsLibero

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 12:57 - Aug 5 by Ryorry

Well-known band? (feel free not to answer!). I'm guessing that must be a hard life & hardly conducive to treating your body or mind well.

Interesting theory in your second para - yes, I can see how that could happen, esp for those who had parent/s or guardian/s in childhood who constantly bigged them up when undeserved & never made them face having done or got something wrong.

No, not at all, alternative genre, few national radio plays and magazine articles is about as mainstream as it got. I've posted links on here in the past, infact the first tour I ever worked on was actually as merch man to TIB's outfit on a tour of Ireland, he was on drums.

Yeah, my Mother-in-law has been somewhat of a case study.
I've never known someone outside of a rich family to experience a life where they get everything they want without ever having to really challenge themselves, she's got it absolutely made and gets her own way time and time and time again.
You cannot challenge anything she say's without her being disproportionately confrontational, no matter how small.

There have been occasions where I've witnessed people put her straight in a manner that is undeniable, yet she will respond with something along the lines of "Well, when you've been around as long as I have..."
It's an absolute cringe fest.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2020 13:06]
Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 13:07 - Aug 5 with 4273 viewsLibero

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 13:00 - Aug 5 by BrixtonBlue

Who are these people?!?

I'm surrounded by them mate, they appear to mostly come from Essex...
Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 13:07 - Aug 5 with 4270 viewsHerbivore

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 12:43 - Aug 5 by BrixtonBlue

I know what an analogy is thanks. I also know when one doesn't work.

You seemed to have used it to sidestep the rest of my questions. So it has worked in a way.

I've answered the rest of your points repeatedly throughout the thread. We're clearly not going to agree so we may as well just leave it there. I feel I've justified myself in saying there's no meaning of life and I stand by that.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 13:11 - Aug 5 with 4257 viewsDarth_Koont

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 13:07 - Aug 5 by Herbivore

I've answered the rest of your points repeatedly throughout the thread. We're clearly not going to agree so we may as well just leave it there. I feel I've justified myself in saying there's no meaning of life and I stand by that.

Just to add I think the real issue is that "the meaning of life" is so human a concept as to be meaningless.

I mean, what's "the meaning of energy"? Or "the meaning of mass"?

Pronouns: He/Him

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 13:35 - Aug 5 with 4200 viewsBrixtonBlue

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 13:07 - Aug 5 by Libero

I'm surrounded by them mate, they appear to mostly come from Essex...

It might seem that way from the outside but I find it hard to believe anyone has EVERYTHING their own way. To err is to human, or something.

I'm kinda glad I had some struggles. Makes the successes all the better, and pushes you to do more with your life than you otherwise might have done.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 13:37 - Aug 5 with 4191 viewsBrixtonBlue

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 13:07 - Aug 5 by Herbivore

Well no, you haven't answered "Where's the evidence the universe is infinite?" for example. But sure, we'll leave it there.

Login to get fewer ads

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 13:49 - Aug 5 with 4161 viewsHerbivore

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 13:37 - Aug 5 by BrixtonBlue

Well no, you haven't answered "Where's the evidence the universe is infinite?" for example. But sure, we'll leave it there.

That's rather a side show though, Dollers, and you know that. Whether the universe is genuinely infinite or just immeasurably large and still expanding, the fact remains there are billions of billions of planets so the chances of life like ours developing is highly likely rather than the miraculous wonder you think it is. But yes, let's leave it there now.

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 13:53 - Aug 5 with 4156 viewsBrixtonBlue

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 13:49 - Aug 5 by Herbivore

That's rather a side show though, Dollers, and you know that. Whether the universe is genuinely infinite or just immeasurably large and still expanding, the fact remains there are billions of billions of planets so the chances of life like ours developing is highly likely rather than the miraculous wonder you think it is. But yes, let's leave it there now.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Even top scientists think it's miraculous that life developed.

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 13:55 - Aug 5 with 4149 viewsHerbivore

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 13:53 - Aug 5 by BrixtonBlue

We'll have to agree to disagree. Even top scientists think it's miraculous that life developed.

Good for them. Have a pleasant afternoon.

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 14:07 - Aug 5 with 4137 viewsLibero

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 13:35 - Aug 5 by BrixtonBlue

It might seem that way from the outside but I find it hard to believe anyone has EVERYTHING their own way. To err is to human, or something.

I'm kinda glad I had some struggles. Makes the successes all the better, and pushes you to do more with your life than you otherwise might have done.

Yes, this would have been my thoughts too, had I not experienced it first hand over the last thirteen years. It's amazing (sometimes infuriating) just how sheltered some people are from what most would consider the realities of life.

What is true is that everyone "struggles" it's just that one persons "struggle" is another person's good day/best case scenario...

Yes, I feel similarly about my own experiences, although there's lots that I wish had been a bit different I'm grateful for the failures as each one is a learning opportunity and chance to grow.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2020 14:07]
Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 14:30 - Aug 5 with 4111 viewsStokieBlue

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 12:39 - Aug 5 by BrixtonBlue

I think picking me up on the vagaries of how gravity works is a bit naughty. The point is why does it do what it does?

Not sure what you're not understanding in point 2, and you seemed to have glossed over the actual point in order to tell me how the Earth formed. The point I was making is that presumably there was a point where there was nothing... but also there can't be a point where there was nothing. Neither explanation works but one of them must do. This paradox is what I'm getting at - so there must be something outside our normal understanding to explain this.

I take your point on point 3.

It's not "naughty", you said it was unknown and that is incorrect. It is known and quantifiable using relativity. It works because large bodies like the Sun or the Earth warp space-time and thus gravity is function as us moving through that warped landscape. As I said, you can read about this rather than saying it's a mystery. There are still questions but it's not some great unknown like you are implying.

You need to be precise here:

Do you mean there i s no understanding on how the Earth formed or how the universe formed? Those are two very different things with very different answers. There is total understanding of how the Earth formed. The universe is a much bigger debate.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 14:42 - Aug 5 with 4091 viewsBrixtonBlue

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 14:30 - Aug 5 by StokieBlue

It's not "naughty", you said it was unknown and that is incorrect. It is known and quantifiable using relativity. It works because large bodies like the Sun or the Earth warp space-time and thus gravity is function as us moving through that warped landscape. As I said, you can read about this rather than saying it's a mystery. There are still questions but it's not some great unknown like you are implying.

You need to be precise here:

Do you mean there i s no understanding on how the Earth formed or how the universe formed? Those are two very different things with very different answers. There is total understanding of how the Earth formed. The universe is a much bigger debate.

SB

"It's not "naughty", you said it was unknown and that is incorrect."

I didn't say it's unknown!

And I meant the universe... given I didn't even mention the Earth. We obviously know how the Earth was formed.

You seem to be either not reading properly or making straw men.

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 15:14 - Aug 5 with 4058 viewsStokieBlue

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 14:42 - Aug 5 by BrixtonBlue

"It's not "naughty", you said it was unknown and that is incorrect."

I didn't say it's unknown!

And I meant the universe... given I didn't even mention the Earth. We obviously know how the Earth was formed.

You seem to be either not reading properly or making straw men.

Gravity, for example, is something I've always struggled to get my head around. What is making it pull towards itself?

Clear implication that it's unknown and clearly something which is easily answered if you decided to read up on the subject.

Strawmen?

I'm not the one invoking unprovable mysticism.

Come on Dollers. It's nice to have you back but be sensible.

SB

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 15:16 - Aug 5 with 4049 viewsStokieBlue

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 13:53 - Aug 5 by BrixtonBlue

No they don't.

Most scientists think that life has developed all across the cosmos and it might have even developed different independent branches on Earth.

Please be scientifically accurate in your assertion. If you want to go against scientific consensus then post your evidence.

SB
[Post edited 5 Aug 2020 15:17]

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 15:16 - Aug 5 with 4048 viewsJ2BLUE

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 14:07 - Aug 5 by Libero

Yes, this would have been my thoughts too, had I not experienced it first hand over the last thirteen years. It's amazing (sometimes infuriating) just how sheltered some people are from what most would consider the realities of life.

What is true is that everyone "struggles" it's just that one persons "struggle" is another person's good day/best case scenario...

Yes, I feel similarly about my own experiences, although there's lots that I wish had been a bit different I'm grateful for the failures as each one is a learning opportunity and chance to grow.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2020 14:07]

Completely agree with this. I decided to stop whinging and change things. I've learnt so much in the last year which I can apply to the rest of my life. For a long time I was quite bitter at how many people I know who just had things handed to them. People who would never have got opportunities on their own were given great jobs etc because of who they know or work for the family business on good money doing about 20 hours a week of 'work'. I find these people have a very different outlook on life and really don't understand the real world. They seem to have a disconnect when it comes to empathy and think everyone sails through life stress free like they do.

I'm less bitter now. I know what I want. I'm trying not to compare my life to theirs.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 15:21 - Aug 5 with 4030 viewsLibero

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 15:16 - Aug 5 by J2BLUE

Completely agree with this. I decided to stop whinging and change things. I've learnt so much in the last year which I can apply to the rest of my life. For a long time I was quite bitter at how many people I know who just had things handed to them. People who would never have got opportunities on their own were given great jobs etc because of who they know or work for the family business on good money doing about 20 hours a week of 'work'. I find these people have a very different outlook on life and really don't understand the real world. They seem to have a disconnect when it comes to empathy and think everyone sails through life stress free like they do.

I'm less bitter now. I know what I want. I'm trying not to compare my life to theirs.

Yup, I used to hold a lot of resentment and bitterness towards people I'd come across that match that description.

One acquaintance in particular used to get up my nose, would write in his art about financial struggle but his parents paid for his flat. Mental.

It happened a lot in the circles I used to move in and actually I see nothing wrong with parents helping out their kids if they can, but it's about the attitude there after.
I've a friend who's family are wealthy, his Mum purchased a house for my friend and his family to live in, but he is one of the most kind, thankful and humble people I have ever met. No chance he would ever take anything for granted or not acknowledge his privilege.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2020 15:31]
Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 15:26 - Aug 5 with 4019 viewsJ2BLUE

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 15:21 - Aug 5 by Libero

Yup, I used to hold a lot of resentment and bitterness towards people I'd come across that match that description.

One acquaintance in particular used to get up my nose, would write in his art about financial struggle but his parents paid for his flat. Mental.

It happened a lot in the circles I used to move in and actually I see nothing wrong with parents helping out their kids if they can, but it's about the attitude there after.
I've a friend who's family are wealthy, his Mum purchased a house for my friend and his family to live in, but he is one of the most kind, thankful and humble people I have ever met. No chance he would ever take anything for granted or not acknowledge his privilege.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2020 15:31]

Agree. I had a ton of help from parents buying a flat. I would have had no choice but to rent a room in a shared house with lots of others if they hadn't done that. I've definitely had a privileged upbringing, no doubt about it.

My main bitterness was their freedom working for the family business etc while my employers at the time seemed to think as a childless single man I was their property.

Truly impaired.

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 15:29 - Aug 5 with 4013 viewsLibero

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 15:26 - Aug 5 by J2BLUE

Agree. I had a ton of help from parents buying a flat. I would have had no choice but to rent a room in a shared house with lots of others if they hadn't done that. I've definitely had a privileged upbringing, no doubt about it.

My main bitterness was their freedom working for the family business etc while my employers at the time seemed to think as a childless single man I was their property.

Sounds like you had the rough end of it in that role, I remember you writing numerous times about being unhappy there.
Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 16:06 - Aug 5 with 3980 viewsBrixtonBlue

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 15:14 - Aug 5 by StokieBlue

Gravity, for example, is something I've always struggled to get my head around. What is making it pull towards itself?

Clear implication that it's unknown and clearly something which is easily answered if you decided to read up on the subject.

Strawmen?

I'm not the one invoking unprovable mysticism.

Come on Dollers. It's nice to have you back but be sensible.

SB

Ok perhaps you misunderstood, or I worded it badly. I was asking WHY it acts in the way it does. We know what it does.

I'm also not invoking unprovable mysticism. The strange thing that's going on (and the meaning of it) MAY have an explanation one day (and be provable). That's all I'm saying.

Just like there was no proof of black holes, and now there is - as I mentioned earlier but you guys seem to have swept under the carpet (a much better analogy than unicorns).

All I'm saying really is keep an open mind. There's no point asserting something as fact when we don't know either way. As I said to Herbs, I can understand fundamentalist religious types making strong assertions (because they want people to join their faith). Atheists don't believe in anything, so it seems a bit odd to shout about it.

WHAT'S THE TRUTH? - NO GOD!
WHAT SHALL WE DO ABOUT IT? - erm, nothing really.

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 16:10 - Aug 5 with 3973 viewsBrixtonBlue

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 15:16 - Aug 5 by StokieBlue

No they don't.

Most scientists think that life has developed all across the cosmos and it might have even developed different independent branches on Earth.

Please be scientifically accurate in your assertion. If you want to go against scientific consensus then post your evidence.

SB
[Post edited 5 Aug 2020 15:17]

I've watched The Planets with Professor Brian Cox. He said that it's REMARKABLE life exists. The requirements for it are so exact that it is indeed very lucky we're here at all. Just one tiny thing not in place and we'd be like Mars - dead.

So when you say "no they don't" whom are you referring to?

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 16:11 - Aug 5 with 3968 viewsJ2BLUE

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 16:10 - Aug 5 by BrixtonBlue

I've watched The Planets with Professor Brian Cox. He said that it's REMARKABLE life exists. The requirements for it are so exact that it is indeed very lucky we're here at all. Just one tiny thing not in place and we'd be like Mars - dead.

So when you say "no they don't" whom are you referring to?

Didn't he also say Mars used to be like Earth and life may have existed long ago? Or was that Venus?

Truly impaired.

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 16:20 - Aug 5 with 3959 viewsBrixtonBlue

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 16:11 - Aug 5 by J2BLUE

Didn't he also say Mars used to be like Earth and life may have existed long ago? Or was that Venus?

It was Mars yeah, because Mars is in the habitable zone along with us. However, and I think this is right from memory, it had a weaker atmosphere than us, so was less protected, possibly to do with weaker gravity as well, so if life did develop it died out (or was destroyed by meteorite collisions, and then the planet died which in turn made it uninhabitable)

But they don't have any proof of this, it's all speculation. Hopefully the new Mars rover will find something next year.

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 16:23 - Aug 5 with 3949 viewsJ2BLUE

Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters much... on 16:20 - Aug 5 by BrixtonBlue

It was Mars yeah, because Mars is in the habitable zone along with us. However, and I think this is right from memory, it had a weaker atmosphere than us, so was less protected, possibly to do with weaker gravity as well, so if life did develop it died out (or was destroyed by meteorite collisions, and then the planet died which in turn made it uninhabitable)

But they don't have any proof of this, it's all speculation. Hopefully the new Mars rover will find something next year.

Agreed, the quicker we acknowledge that religion is all based around aliens, not gods, the better.

Truly impaired.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024