Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Beirut - massive explosion there 17:02 - Aug 4 with 8702 viewsSteve_M

Looks grim.

Possibly fireworks that have exploded.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Beirut - massive explosion there on 20:18 - Aug 4 with 2860 viewsGlasgowBlue

Beirut - massive explosion there on 20:11 - Aug 4 by J2BLUE

At least 25 dead and at least 2500 injured.

Bloody hell. Awful.

I think that number will sadly rise as the night goes on. RIP to those poor people caught up in it.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Beirut - massive explosion there on 20:25 - Aug 4 with 2850 viewsAce_High1

Beirut - massive explosion there on 20:18 - Aug 4 by GlasgowBlue

I think that number will sadly rise as the night goes on. RIP to those poor people caught up in it.

Yes sadly, unbelievable how powerful that second explosion was and how far damage has been recorded from the site it happened.
Beirut - massive explosion there on 20:28 - Aug 4 with 2841 viewsgiant_stow

Beirut - massive explosion there on 20:25 - Aug 4 by Ace_High1

Yes sadly, unbelievable how powerful that second explosion was and how far damage has been recorded from the site it happened.

Rattled windows in Cyprus apparently

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Beirut - massive explosion there on 20:32 - Aug 4 with 2828 viewsGuthrum

Beirut - massive explosion there on 20:16 - Aug 4 by jeera

It looked like some mini atomic explosion.

The way it rolled out and took out anything in its wake.

Anything surviving within all that is remarkable.

Dunno what to say tbh, except why the hell do we feel the need to create these things that are capable of destroying so much hard work?

That rapidly expanding white cloud is actually water vapour condensed out of the air by the shock wave.

An atomic explosion can be as small as that, but would be much brighter and hotter (witnesses being temporarily blinded, more stuff on fire).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Beirut - massive explosion there on 20:41 - Aug 4 with 2802 viewsjeera

Beirut - massive explosion there on 20:32 - Aug 4 by Guthrum

That rapidly expanding white cloud is actually water vapour condensed out of the air by the shock wave.

An atomic explosion can be as small as that, but would be much brighter and hotter (witnesses being temporarily blinded, more stuff on fire).

Not the best description but you know what I mean.

The blast was awesome but most certainly not in the impressive sense.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Beirut - massive explosion there on 20:53 - Aug 4 with 2770 viewsSwansea_Blue

Beirut - massive explosion there on 20:11 - Aug 4 by J2BLUE

At least 25 dead and at least 2500 injured.

Bloody hell. Awful.

Poor sods. The people in that place have been through a rough enough time as it is.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Beirut - massive explosion there on 21:31 - Aug 4 with 2725 viewsSteve_M

Beirut - massive explosion there on 21:38 - Aug 4 with 2710 viewsClapham_Junction

Beirut - massive explosion there on 17:19 - Aug 4 by Guthrum

That looks like an ammo dump (or vessel carrying ammunition, looking at other posts). First the flickering of individual rounds going off, then a big explosion.

Currently, Lebanon is going through a serious economic crisis, on top of being only marginally stable politically. Hopefully this does not presage things kicking off.

Tho it might be Hizbollah trying to circumvent arms embargoes to Syria by shipping them therough their networks in Lebanon.

This was my first thought too.

If it is, hopefully it might be the start of public opinion turning against them to the extent that they're forced to disarm.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2020 21:39]
Login to get fewer ads

Beirut - massive explosion there on 22:05 - Aug 4 with 2680 viewsElderGrizzly

Beirut - massive explosion there on 21:31 - Aug 4 by Steve_M

The airport - six miles away and this is the damage

[Post edited 4 Aug 2020 22:33]
Beirut - massive explosion there on 22:11 - Aug 4 with 2651 viewswitchdoctor

Beirut - massive explosion there on 19:22 - Aug 4 by Steve_M

Really bad situation there before this:

Jeez...look at the devastation..☹️
Beirut - massive explosion there on 22:27 - Aug 4 with 2621 viewsWeWereZombies

Beirut - massive explosion there on 20:32 - Aug 4 by Guthrum

From the latest update on the BBC website:

'Officials are blaming highly explosive materials stored in a warehouse for six years.

President Michel Aoun tweeted it was "unacceptable" that 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate was stored unsafely.'

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Beirut - massive explosion there on 22:30 - Aug 4 with 2613 viewsCoastalblue

Beirut - massive explosion there on 22:05 - Aug 4 by ElderGrizzly

F*ck!

That is incredible and horrific.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Beirut - massive explosion there on 22:34 - Aug 4 with 2596 viewseastangliaisblue

I've read numerous media reports, Daily Mail saying (so wouldn't take it as gospel) that it's a warehouse of ammonium nitrate approx 2700 tonnes. If true that is a crazy amount to store in one place. It's highly explosive, an ignition source causes it to decompose rapidly into nitrus oxide and water vapor.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2020 22:36]
Beirut - massive explosion there on 22:59 - Aug 4 with 2524 viewsElderGrizzly

Beirut - massive explosion there on 22:30 - Aug 4 by Coastalblue

F*ck!

That is incredible and horrific.

This is a new angle from a car driving nearby

Beirut - massive explosion there on 23:07 - Aug 4 with 2514 viewsDouble_Dutch

Beirut - massive explosion there on 22:34 - Aug 4 by eastangliaisblue

I've read numerous media reports, Daily Mail saying (so wouldn't take it as gospel) that it's a warehouse of ammonium nitrate approx 2700 tonnes. If true that is a crazy amount to store in one place. It's highly explosive, an ignition source causes it to decompose rapidly into nitrus oxide and water vapor.

The city and it's people have suffered enough, terrible accident.

We just need to hope a similar situation does not occur with the Liberty Ship SS Richard Montgomery, which was wrecked in the Thames Estuary, near Sheerness, in August 1944, whilst carrying a cargo of munitions. Around 1,400 tonnes of explosives remain on board, which continue to be a significant hazard and, which has the potential to cause one of the most devastating non-nuclear peace-time explosions ever seen!

Holiday is Sheerness anyone?
Beirut - massive explosion there on 23:08 - Aug 4 with 2511 viewsElderGrizzly

Beirut - massive explosion there on 22:34 - Aug 4 by eastangliaisblue

PM is saying 2750 tonnes. Basically a huge bomb

Beirut - massive explosion there on 23:16 - Aug 4 with 2490 viewsClapham_Junction

Beirut - massive explosion there on 23:07 - Aug 4 by Double_Dutch

We just need to hope a similar situation does not occur with the Liberty Ship SS Richard Montgomery, which was wrecked in the Thames Estuary, near Sheerness, in August 1944, whilst carrying a cargo of munitions. Around 1,400 tonnes of explosives remain on board, which continue to be a significant hazard and, which has the potential to cause one of the most devastating non-nuclear peace-time explosions ever seen!

From the Wikipedia article on the Richard Montgomery:

"According to a BBC news report in 1970, it was determined that if the wreck of Richard Montgomery exploded... almost every window in Sheerness (pop. circa 20,000) would be broken and buildings would be damaged by the blast. "
Beirut - massive explosion there on 23:26 - Aug 4 with 2466 viewsghostofescobar

Ammonium nitrate, as per Tianjin?

GhostOfEscobar

Beirut - massive explosion there on 23:37 - Aug 4 with 2460 viewsWeWereZombies

Beirut - massive explosion there on 23:26 - Aug 4 by ghostofescobar

Ammonium nitrate, as per Tianjin?

Had forgotten about that, here is a bit more detail:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Tianjin_explosions

I wonder if another thing that climate change is going to contribute to is more and more of these chemical caches going off in midsummer?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Beirut - massive explosion there on 00:31 - Aug 5 with 2418 viewsmonytowbray

Beirut - massive explosion there on 23:37 - Aug 4 by WeWereZombies

Had forgotten about that, here is a bit more detail:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Tianjin_explosions

I wonder if another thing that climate change is going to contribute to is more and more of these chemical caches going off in midsummer?

It amazes me people haven’t connected the dots yet, but 2020 will be known as the year we started to really see an acceleration in climate change issues.

Weeeeee.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Beirut - massive explosion there on 01:12 - Aug 5 with 2390 viewsNewcyBlue

Beirut - massive explosion there on 23:07 - Aug 4 by Double_Dutch

Those liberty ships are utterly amazing.

I really want to get ashore in Baltimore some time to go look round the one there.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Beirut - massive explosion there on 06:07 - Aug 5 with 2317 viewsbluelagos

Think it's clear the cause now.

To put some perspective ref an arms depot. I was around 1/4 mile from the arms depot that went up in Jan 2002 in Ikeja, Lagos. I lost all my windows and buildings shook like an earthquake. Around 1000 people sadly died, most from fleeing and drowning as they ran into a canal, in the panic (covered in moss so didnt look like water)

The explosions (which went on over 8 hours) were intense will balls of fire three or four times as high as that of the buildings. Whilst there were no TV shots of those explosions, I have seen photos catdhing the bigger explosions that night.

Yet the pictures of the explosion in Beirut is of a magnitude that makes the explosions in the Lagos arms depot look small in comparison. There are going to be 100s dead, no debate imho. Doubt they will ever know the final total tbh.

Stuggling to comprehend the magnitude of what has happened. And the number of traumatised survivors will be extremely large. I know of people diagnosed with PTSD who like me were in relative safety and physically unhurt. 1000s of Beirut people evidently were physically harmed. And in country without the mental health support structures we have in the UK.

I hope the West can support the Lebanon over the coming months as it starts to rebuild. They will need it. But the support will need to be more than financial and lets hope the country remains stable. Nightmare.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2020 6:27]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Beirut - massive explosion there on 07:49 - Aug 5 with 2243 viewswitchdoctor

Beirut - massive explosion there on 01:12 - Aug 5 by NewcyBlue

Those liberty ships are utterly amazing.

I really want to get ashore in Baltimore some time to go look round the one there.

there were still quite a few knocking around when I was at sea...
Beirut - massive explosion there on 07:53 - Aug 5 with 2232 viewsSteve_M

Beirut - massive explosion there on 23:08 - Aug 4 by ElderGrizzly

PM is saying 2750 tonnes. Basically a huge bomb

From one of the many dodgy parts of the shipping industry and a country too poor and too poorly governed to do anything about the risk.

https://www.fleetmon.com/maritime-news/2014/4194/crew-kept-hostages-floating-bom

[Post edited 5 Aug 2020 7:54]

Beirut - massive explosion there on 08:25 - Aug 5 with 2180 viewsGuthrum

Beirut - massive explosion there on 22:05 - Aug 4 by ElderGrizzly

From the footage and photos, it looks like the grain silo shielded a swathe of the city centre from the direct effects of the blast. Could have been a lot worse.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024