Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why start the season? 21:04 - Aug 4 with 2593 viewstonydinning

Realistically in League 1, what is the point of starting a season without fans in the ground?

This isn't a league built around televising matches for armchair supporters and neutrals and there's no international audience to sell rights to.

The domestic leagues that restarted limped to end for 19/20 at a lower intensity and entertainment value, in empty stadiums.

Let's be honest, watching Ipswich last year was hardly a scintillating entertainment package when at the ground where at least you get the fun of a day out.

Would anyone really be frothing at the prospect of streaming it at home with none of the surrounding matchday experience?

I'd say, just wait.

Poll: Is it time to rotate keepers and give Walton his spot back?

If there were a definite date for when..... on 21:09 - Aug 4 with 2547 viewsBloots

....fans could be let back in then maybe you'd have a point.

But with things changing all the time and the recent test events being called off then it has to get going without fans, otherwise it would potentially never finish.

A harsh reality of the situation we are in unfortunately.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Why start the season? on 21:14 - Aug 4 with 2498 viewsSteve_M

How long are you prepared to wait? It might well be months rather than weeks.

I think part of the problem football has was that it was re-starting and so many matches had little riding on them. The end of the Championship and the playoffs had more and were more compelling.

I agree with you that teams will struggle without money from fans but most of those clubs will struggle paying players even more if there are no games. The only winners are likely to be the big clubs as the Premier League becomes ever more dominant.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Why start the season? on 21:15 - Aug 4 with 2492 viewsStokieBlue

Many Ipswich fans have no option but to "stream it at home without any of the match day experience" regardless of C19 or not.

The match isn't just for the benefit of your day out. I don't think you not having a matchday experience is a valid reason not to restart.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Why start the season? on 23:48 - Aug 4 with 2308 viewsBlueBadger

Why start the season? on 21:15 - Aug 4 by StokieBlue

Many Ipswich fans have no option but to "stream it at home without any of the match day experience" regardless of C19 or not.

The match isn't just for the benefit of your day out. I don't think you not having a matchday experience is a valid reason not to restart.

SB

It's just so UNFAIR Stokie, just when Paul Lambert was close to perfecting the Match Day Experience.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Why start the season? on 10:16 - Aug 5 with 2035 viewstonydinning

It's like saying all the West End theatre shows should just keep playing to empty theatres and maybe stream it to some people at home.

Football doesn't *have* to be played

Why start the season? on 10:20 - Aug 5 with 2018 viewsWallingford_Boy

Why start the season? on 10:16 - Aug 5 by tonydinning

It's like saying all the West End theatre shows should just keep playing to empty theatres and maybe stream it to some people at home.

But when it is possible to do so, why not do it?

As others have said, its better than nothing and plenty of people follow Ipswich and get pleasure from doing so (which is quite hard to believe at the moment!) without attending matches.

Re: the West End show thing, thats an odd comparison!!

RIP Sir Bobby

Why start the season? on 10:23 - Aug 5 with 2011 viewsSouperJim

A west end show is not professional sport. There is a competition going on, a large number of games have to be played etc.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Why start the season? on 10:25 - Aug 5 with 2005 viewstonydinning

Why start the season? on 10:20 - Aug 5 by Wallingford_Boy

But when it is possible to do so, why not do it?

As others have said, its better than nothing and plenty of people follow Ipswich and get pleasure from doing so (which is quite hard to believe at the moment!) without attending matches.

Re: the West End show thing, thats an odd comparison!!

With the West End comparison I'm basically saying, it seems bizarre to me to continue running an event that's primarily "designed" to be watched by people physically attending, with no one there.

But fair point about people getting pleasure from following football on and off the field day-to-day throughout the season.

Login to get fewer ads

Why start the season? on 10:30 - Aug 5 with 1969 viewsHerbivore

Why start the season? on 10:23 - Aug 5 by SouperJim

A west end show is not professional sport. There is a competition going on, a large number of games have to be played etc.

Exactly this. Football is a sport, it's not primarily a form of entertainment. I never get it when people try to vomapre going to the football with going to the cinema or to the theatre. Supporting a team isn't like going to watch a film or a play.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Why start the season? on 10:39 - Aug 5 with 1949 viewsSharkey

I should probably know this, but is the plan that games be played at traditional times, or scattered all over the week and with e.g. 5 p.m kick-offs for some games, in the hope that people will stream games for more than just their first-choice team?
Why start the season? on 10:39 - Aug 5 with 1947 viewsRoberds

That's not really a valid comparison at all.

Football clubs exist to play in leagues and compete for trophies and promotions. Each game has a result and points are awarded. Whether anyone turns up to watch or not is, like it or not, incidental.

West End shows exist solely for the entertainment of the public, they are completely dependant on people turning up.
Why start the season? on 10:40 - Aug 5 with 1938 viewstonydinning

Why start the season? on 10:30 - Aug 5 by Herbivore

Exactly this. Football is a sport, it's not primarily a form of entertainment. I never get it when people try to vomapre going to the football with going to the cinema or to the theatre. Supporting a team isn't like going to watch a film or a play.

Maybe I'm in the minority who doesn't find the day-to-day following of sport that interesting but does like to have a few pints with some friends, go to the match, have a shout and a sing and then have a night out afterwards.

Without any of the above, football for me is about as interesting as studying train timetables

Why start the season? on 10:43 - Aug 5 with 1924 viewsHerbivore

Why start the season? on 10:40 - Aug 5 by tonydinning

Maybe I'm in the minority who doesn't find the day-to-day following of sport that interesting but does like to have a few pints with some friends, go to the match, have a shout and a sing and then have a night out afterwards.

Without any of the above, football for me is about as interesting as studying train timetables

Then yeah, you're in the minority of actual football fans I'd say. No doubt the match day experience is a highlight but next season when I can no longer go to games I will still be following Town.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Why start the season? on 13:26 - Aug 5 with 1813 viewsSouperJim

Why start the season? on 10:30 - Aug 5 by Herbivore

With that said, at times we've had teams that resembled 11 ballerinas.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024