Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Scottish exam results 21:22 - Aug 4 with 1379 viewsSteve_M

It seems that teachers’ assessments for pupils from the most deprived areas were marked down more than those from the least deprived areas.

Thread here:

Some pupils are going to have missed out on deserved grades for exams they never got to sit.

Edit: my iPad correcting exams to Evans doesn’t reflect spending too much time on here, honest.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2020 21:33]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Scottish exam results on 21:27 - Aug 4 with 1351 viewsjeera

Historic trends one commenter says.

So an individual's future is being assessed by a trend set by predecessors they've never met nor have any connection with?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Scottish exam results on 21:28 - Aug 4 with 1350 viewsGlasgowBlue

I don't know if that's true or not but I have one very unhappy 17 year old daughter.

Her twin sister got all of her Highers last year so qualified for Uni a year early. My other twin, however, did poorly last year and needed one more higher of C or above to get into Uni for nursing. She achieved that grade in her prelims but taking her coursework into account they gave her a D.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2020 21:30]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Scottish exam results on 21:35 - Aug 4 with 1307 viewsSteve_M

Scottish exam results on 21:28 - Aug 4 by GlasgowBlue

I don't know if that's true or not but I have one very unhappy 17 year old daughter.

Her twin sister got all of her Highers last year so qualified for Uni a year early. My other twin, however, did poorly last year and needed one more higher of C or above to get into Uni for nursing. She achieved that grade in her prelims but taking her coursework into account they gave her a D.

Sorry to hear that, especially after last year. Is there any chance of getting on to course anyway, especially given that this year is unprecedented?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Scottish exam results on 21:36 - Aug 4 with 1303 viewsjeera

So how does that work exactly?

The kid's done the work expected of her and achieved the 'C', so it's fair to think, if we're going with personal 'trend', then she would be capable of repeating that in her finals or whatever.

Is someone somewhere deciding this on some sort of sweeping approach with no focus on individuals and this simply some numbers game?

If so it's not good enough.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Scottish exam results on 21:41 - Aug 4 with 1283 viewsCoastalblue

That is awful, especially if she's worked hard for it. Hopefully there's some kind of appeals process, it would be awful to think that some algorithm someone has made up could potentially destroy some kid's future.

I'm not suggesting your daughter's future would be destroyed, I'm sure she comes from a balanced and loving family, but there could be kids that don't that end up in a similar situation.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Scottish exam results on 21:41 - Aug 4 with 1294 viewsBlueBadger

If it helps, there's a LOT of routes into nursing school rather than just the straight-from-school-to-uni job(which I personally don't favour).
A lot of FE colleges offer 'access to nursing' type courses which will give some of the theory needed and polish academic skills needed.
Ideally, get her looking for work as a nursing assistant at a local hospital. She'll learn vital skills, gain invaluable experience and if they like her, will be likely able to get onto an apprentice scheme or employer-paid training place which will remove a LOT of stress from studying.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2020 22:13]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Scottish exam results on 21:46 - Aug 4 with 1261 viewsElderGrizzly

Scottish exam results on 21:36 - Aug 4 by jeera

The kid's done the work expected of her and achieved the 'C', so it's fair to think, if we're going with personal 'trend', then she would be capable of repeating that in her finals or whatever.

Is someone somewhere deciding this on some sort of sweeping approach with no focus on individuals and this simply some numbers game?

My wife is one of the key people on the project doing this for kids in England this summer who couldn’t sit GCSEs and A Levels.

Expect we’ll see a similar issue and yes, it is basically a numbers game with standardisation deciding the spread of grades.

All boards (AQA, OCR, Pearson Edexcel) are working together to try and manage it this summer, but doing so within Ofqual guidance.
Scottish exam results on 21:46 - Aug 4 with 1254 viewsGlasgowBlue

Scottish exam results on 21:41 - Aug 4 by BlueBadger

If it helps, there's a LOT of routes into nursing school rather than just the straight-from-school-to-uni job(which I personally don't favour).
A lot of FE colleges offer 'access to nursing' type courses which will give some of the theory needed and polish academic skills needed.
Ideally, get her looking for work as a nursing assistant at a local hospital. She'll learn vital skills, gain invaluable experience and if they like her, will be likely able to get onto an apprentice scheme or employer-paid training place which will remove a LOT of stress from studying.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2020 22:13]

Thanks for the advice mate. Her option is to take a year out and apply for college starting next September where she can get her grade and start as a second yer Uni student the following year, but I'll certainly pass onto her what you said.

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

Scottish exam results on 21:48 - Aug 4 with 1245 viewsBlueBadger

Scottish exam results on 21:46 - Aug 4 by GlasgowBlue

Thanks for the advice mate. Her option is to take a year out and apply for college starting next September where she can get her grade and start as a second yer Uni student the following year, but I'll certainly pass onto her what you said.

Definitely get her working at a local hospital or a half-decent care home - perhaps suggest she does six months working to save to go travelling whilst she works out her future.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Scottish exam results on 21:49 - Aug 4 with 1246 viewsClapham_Junction

It would be interesting to see the estimates from previous years for context of whether teachers often overestimate by more for the lowest bands.

The adjusted figures look to be a fairly consistent 3-4% increase from 2019 for each band, with the lowest increase is in the wealthiest band.
Scottish exam results on 21:50 - Aug 4 with 1237 viewsGlasgowBlue

Scottish exam results on 21:36 - Aug 4 by jeera

That's pretty much my view. She admits herself that her coursework wasn't the best it could have been but she was confident that she would repeat her prelim result or even better it. And had the lockdown not started then I was getting her to visit a tutor once week in the build up, which I appreciate can't be taken into account.

Iron Lion Zion

Scottish exam results on 21:53 - Aug 4 with 1222 viewsWeWereZombies

Scottish exam results on 21:46 - Aug 4 by GlasgowBlue

She must be inconsolable at the moment and there is not much you can say to change that but if it helps (and does not sound too much like ancient history) I left school at sixteen and then found I only had half the 'O' levels I had expected from my mocks. Nevertheless I did, when I had eventually decided on a direction, get qualified. First as an accounting technician and later as a fully qualified accountant. To be honest I think the slower route suited my personality and aptitude.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Scottish exam results on 21:56 - Aug 4 with 1210 viewsGlasgowBlue

Scottish exam results on 21:53 - Aug 4 by WeWereZombies

She must be inconsolable at the moment and there is not much you can say to change that but if it helps (and does not sound too much like ancient history) I left school at sixteen and then found I only had half the 'O' levels I had expected from my mocks. Nevertheless I did, when I had eventually decided on a direction, get qualified. First as an accounting technician and later as a fully qualified accountant. To be honest I think the slower route suited my personality and aptitude.

In fairness I think the slower route may also suit her.

It's not easy being a twin. Even less so when her twin sister got 5 A's and a B last year. We feel that sometimes she takes a back seat rather than try to compete.

Mrs GB has taken the pair of them out for a meal tonight to drown her sorrows.

Iron Lion Zion

Scottish exam results on 21:56 - Aug 4 with 1212 viewsBlueBadger

Scottish exam results on 21:53 - Aug 4 by WeWereZombies

I can honestly say that I had I started my training at 18, I wouldn't have finished the course, let alone be looking at 20 years qualified come September. Much as I loathe old cliches like 'get some life experience', I really do feel it's vital before going into what is easily be one of the toughest degree courses out there.

Scottish exam results on 22:27 - Aug 4 with 1139 viewsCoastalblue

Scottish exam results on 21:56 - Aug 4 by BlueBadger

I can honestly say that I had I started my training at 18, I wouldn't have finished the course, let alone be looking at 20 years qualified come September. Much as I loathe old cliches like 'get some life experience', I really do feel it's vital before going into what is easily be one of the toughest degree courses out there.

I think that can be applied across a lot of areas, at 16-17 I was a pulsating sack of hormones who could cope with zero resposibility and had zero desire too.

By 19/20 I'd had over a year in the work place, had matured and had a few of the rough edges smoothed a bit if not entirely knocked off and my attitude to life was a complete contrast.

Whilst reasonably bright, academia had no interest for me at younger ages and in hindsight the best thing for me would have been to leave school at 14, spend 2 or 3 years in the workplace before going back and finishing my education. I realise that's not really practical, but I'm sure there are plenty of kids who are similar to how I was.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024