Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. 18:21 - Aug 5 with 5931 viewsTerry_Nutkins

3 year deal. I've told him rubbish but he genuinely gets this stuff right and knows a few people at Sunderland so I'm already in a bad mood about it.

It's not def info but he seems sure about it.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 18:49 - Aug 5 with 5798 viewsParky

I’d be awfully surprised, considering Garbutt is on holiday with his partner as we speak and as I’m sure Phil previously mentioned Garbutt wouldn’t even be allowed at Sunderland’s training ground yet.
Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 18:58 - Aug 5 with 5730 viewsBluefish

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 18:49 - Aug 5 by Parky

I’d be awfully surprised, considering Garbutt is on holiday with his partner as we speak and as I’m sure Phil previously mentioned Garbutt wouldn’t even be allowed at Sunderland’s training ground yet.

Garbutt has had since January to negotiate with another club so it is entirely possible....doesn't mean it is true but it is certainly possible

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 19:08 - Aug 5 with 5711 viewsParky

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 18:58 - Aug 5 by Bluefish

Garbutt has had since January to negotiate with another club so it is entirely possible....doesn't mean it is true but it is certainly possible

I’m not disputing that, but if it was a ‘done deal’ why would it not have been announced before he went on holiday?
Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 19:32 - Aug 5 with 5596 viewsBluefish

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 19:08 - Aug 5 by Parky

I’m not disputing that, but if it was a ‘done deal’ why would it not have been announced before he went on holiday?

Often deals are done, photos taken, contracts signed but announcements are held back

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 19:33 - Aug 5 with 5612 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 19:08 - Aug 5 by Parky

I think he meant more as in agreed. Nothing signed type thing. He gets a lot of Sunderland signings right before they break but at the same time he is probably enjoying annoying me so I'm hoping he's bigging up a rumour more than def info.

He did say Sunderland won't be spending more than 5k a week on wages which makes me think Garbutt would sooner join us as he know he will enjoy his football. Does he have more family links in the north?

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 20:17 - Aug 5 with 5475 viewsSitfcB

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 19:33 - Aug 5 by Terry_Nutkins

I think he meant more as in agreed. Nothing signed type thing. He gets a lot of Sunderland signings right before they break but at the same time he is probably enjoying annoying me so I'm hoping he's bigging up a rumour more than def info.

He did say Sunderland won't be spending more than 5k a week on wages which makes me think Garbutt would sooner join us as he know he will enjoy his football. Does he have more family links in the north?

He’s from Harrogate and has lived in Liverpool for years.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 20:22 - Aug 5 with 5470 viewsDinnernotTea

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 19:33 - Aug 5 by Terry_Nutkins

He's from Harrogate which is only hour 30 from Sunderland so that could swing it. Plus which part of finishing 11th did he enjoy?

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 20:48 - Aug 5 with 5393 viewsSimonds92

Let's be honest, its happening. Im pretty gutted about it because i think he could be integral to a successful side but no real chance of us signing him based on his previous wages.
Login to get fewer ads

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 21:28 - Aug 5 with 5298 viewsTieDyedIn95

From what PR Paul said today you can tell there is next to sweet FA in the transfer kitty. We had a little extra dough last season compared to this one which is why we could afford Grabutt last season, but unless we offload a few more people or sell we won't likely be bringing in too many. I expect we would have already had a chat made a approach to Garbutt based on what we could afford but he's going to attract offers from all over and he's made a good living out of football thus far and i'd expect he'd happily take a better contract elsewhere and play less if he could get away with it.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 22:20 - Aug 5 with 5167 viewsOldsmoker

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 19:32 - Aug 5 by Bluefish

Often deals are done, photos taken, contracts signed but announcements are held back

If I'm wrong then I'm sure you'll all be 'kind' enough to correct me.
My recollection was that James Norwood agreed to sign for us when his contract finished sometime in Jan/Feb that year.
I never heard he was signing until the deal was just about done in the summer.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 23:21 - Aug 5 with 5059 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

I'm not remotely bothered about "losing" Garbutt. He's not even ours.

Maybe we can now concentrate on recruiting a round peg for the round hole for a change.
Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 23:30 - Aug 5 with 5041 viewsBLUEBEAT

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 23:21 - Aug 5 by King_ding_a_lin_g

Maybe we can now concentrate on recruiting a round peg for the round hole for a change.

He was a round peg for a round hole and a good one at that.

Very doubtful we’d be able to get a better player than him for that position.

Poll: W or W

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 23:41 - Aug 5 with 5019 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 23:30 - Aug 5 by BLUEBEAT

He was a round peg for a round hole and a good one at that.

Very doubtful we’d be able to get a better player than him for that position.

Which hole?

I don't think he was particularly great at any one role. He's a utility man with a good set piece and I think we would be better off using the money to sign a couple of players that we can fit into an actual system.
Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 23:54 - Aug 5 with 4990 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Easily feasible in the modern world to handle these kind of negotiations without actually being face to face.

3 year deal, will be on bigger bucks than we could offer, solid decision for the lad. Always a shame to see your promotion rivals strengthen whilst you don’t.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 01:24 - Aug 6 with 4948 viewsBLUEBEAT

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 23:41 - Aug 5 by King_ding_a_lin_g

Which hole?

I don't think he was particularly great at any one role. He's a utility man with a good set piece and I think we would be better off using the money to sign a couple of players that we can fit into an actual system.

His position is LB but OK LM too.

Can’t say I’ve ever seen him ‘utilised’ anywhere else.

Poll: W or W

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 10:16 - Aug 6 with 4615 viewsTractorWood

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 23:21 - Aug 5 by King_ding_a_lin_g

He scored 5 from left back.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 10:51 - Aug 6 with 4540 viewsBiGDonnie

That wouldn't stop a deal being done, not by a long shot.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 10:55 - Aug 6 with 4532 viewsbournemouthblue

That would be seriously annoying!

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 10:57 - Aug 6 with 4524 viewsLankHenners

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 01:24 - Aug 6 by BLUEBEAT

He's not a particularly good LB and I'd rather us try and sign a proper one than get him back. Different story if we were signing him to play further up the pitch but I doubt we are, and there are other players out there who would be more suited to a 433/4231 which suits the players we have in the club (and how Lambert wanted to play when he first got here).

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 11:23 - Aug 6 with 4457 viewsGarv

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 10:16 - Aug 6 by TractorWood

He scored 5 from left back.

He didn't play all season at left back, and made one or two horrific mistakes when he did. Pretty much cost us two goals at Blackpool due to poor defending.

I'd be happy if we signed him, but not as a left back.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 11:37 - Aug 6 with 4408 viewsWallingford_Boy

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 01:24 - Aug 6 by BLUEBEAT

Wrong.

He is NOT a left back.

Oxford, like us, tried him there and he can't defend.

He is a decent left midfielder, but we don't really play with left midfielders as such.

He ain't a wing back, he isn't a winger and he isn't a left sided attacking three player.

So not sure where he'd fit in really.

RIP Sir Bobby

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 11:38 - Aug 6 with 4402 viewsHerbivore

I'm not all that fussed about this to be honest. He's a good footballer but he's not a very good left back and we need a left back. I really think his best position is probably left midfield in a 4-4-2 but that's not a formation that I think particularly suits the rest of our squad. As a wing back he gets forward well enough but gets caught out defensively. As a left back he's not great at all, Oxford fans said exactly the same. He's not good enough a defender to play there. So whilst he's a good footballer and can take a good set piece, I just don't see where he fits in here. He'll be on decent money as well so I'd rather utilise what limited funds we do have on players that obviously fit.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2020 12:02]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 11:49 - Aug 6 with 4366 viewsWallingford_Boy

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 11:38 - Aug 6 by Herbivore

I'm not all that fussed about this to be honest. He's a good footballer but he's not a very good left back and we need a left back. I really think his best position is probably left midfield in a 4-4-2 but that's not a formation that I think particularly suits the rest of our squad. As a wing back he gets forward well enough but gets caught out defensively. As a left back he's not great at all, Oxford fans said exactly the same. He's not good enough a defender to play there. So whilst he's a good footballer and can take a good set piece, I just don't see where he fits in here. He'll be on decent money as well so I'd rather utilise what limited funds we do have on players that obviously fit.

Admit it, you just copied my post..

RIP Sir Bobby

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 11:52 - Aug 6 with 4357 viewsEwan_Oozami

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 11:38 - Aug 6 by Herbivore

"orjvwbly left midfield"? That is a very specific position that very few can play - if we needed an orjvwbly left midfielder then Garbutt is definitely the man for us!

I'd hazard a guess that you mean "arguably"? :-)

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 12:02 - Aug 6 with 4320 viewsHerbivore

Sunderland mate saying Garbutt done. on 11:52 - Aug 6 by Ewan_Oozami

"orjvwbly left midfield"? That is a very specific position that very few can play - if we needed an orjvwbly left midfielder then Garbutt is definitely the man for us!

I'd hazard a guess that you mean "arguably"? :-)

Meant to be probably, typing on my phone and it usually autocorrects my gibberish typing.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024