Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oh - this is just brilliant 08:48 - Aug 6 with 23292 viewshomer_123

Not only are the 50 million masks useless and not fit for purposes but the £252 million pound contract was to Ayanda Capital - and get this:

"It also emerged that the person who originally approached the government about the deal was a government trade adviser who also advises the board of Ayanda.

But he told the BBC his position played no part in the awarding of the contract."

and

"The government has also disclosed that the original approach to sell the masks came not from Ayanda Capital but from a businessman called Andrew Mills.

His company, Prospermill, had secured the rights to the full production capacity of a large factory in China to produce masks and was able to offer a large quantity almost immediately.

But the legal document seen by the BBC notes that Mr Mills requested the government instead sign the contract for the masks with Ayanda Capital, whose board he advises, because it could arrange overseas payment more quickly."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53672841

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Oh - this is just brilliant on 08:59 - Aug 6 with 5039 viewsSteve_M

It's a toss up isn't it, corruption or incompetence? Or are they mutually exclusive?

Click through for the whole thread from Jo Maugham here for more:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Oh - this is just brilliant on 09:11 - Aug 6 with 4999 viewsPlums

Oh - this is just brilliant on 08:59 - Aug 6 by Steve_M

It's a toss up isn't it, corruption or incompetence? Or are they mutually exclusive?

We have (very openly) become the sort of country that most of us used to laugh at. There has been a major heist at their heart of government and the vast majority seem to be completely unaware or simply don’t care.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Oh - this is just brilliant on 09:15 - Aug 6 with 4978 viewsKeno

Oh - this is just brilliant on 09:11 - Aug 6 by Plums

We have (very openly) become the sort of country that most of us used to laugh at. There has been a major heist at their heart of government and the vast majority seem to be completely unaware or simply don’t care.

this in tinpottery banana republicanism of the highest order

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Oh - this is just brilliant on 09:35 - Aug 6 with 4918 viewsfactual_blue

Oh - this is just brilliant on 09:15 - Aug 6 by Keno

this in tinpottery banana republicanism of the highest order

Ah, but it's world-beating tinpottery banana republicanism.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Oh - this is just brilliant on 09:44 - Aug 6 with 4872 viewshampstead_blue

How about this.

Bloke has a business - aim is to make a profit.
Business makes surgical masks - yawn.
Pandemic strikes - masks become sexy
He calls the Gov to sell them some - they are in a mad hurry
He tells Gov he can get the supply chain sorted - using another of his businesses
Stuff happens really quickly in a national emergency

Now, imagine the normal Gov tender regime.
That takes months. Specs are agreed internally, sent to tender, companies bid, bids are checked, spec checked, samples sent, checked, back to bid.....

Time marches on.....NOTHING happens. People die.

I'm not surprised this has happened but it's far from the shower you make out.
When you are in a mad hurry mistakes are made.

I'd rather the Gov made a few mistakes in these times than sat there with technical and slow but accurate tender processes.....the body bags would then be stacking-up but eventually you'd get the right masks......

Jus a balance.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Oh - this is just brilliant on 09:47 - Aug 6 with 4850 viewsLibero

Oh - this is just brilliant on 09:44 - Aug 6 by hampstead_blue

How about this.

He tells Gov he can get the supply chain sorted - using another of his businesses

That takes months. Specs are agreed internally, sent to tender, companies bid, bids are checked, spec checked, samples sent, checked, back to bid.....

I'd rather the Gov made a few mistakes in these times than sat there with technical and slow but accurate tender processes.....the body bags would then be stacking-up but eventually you'd get the right masks......

Jus a balance.

That's a gross simplification.
Oh - this is just brilliant on 09:51 - Aug 6 with 4833 viewsKeno

How about this.

Jus a balance.

that scenario only really works if there was no other way of ordering masks and if said governments didn't have such an appalling record at this kind of thing

see also ferries

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Oh - this is just brilliant on 09:51 - Aug 6 with 4836 viewsgordon

How about this.

Jus a balance.

You should probably read what's happened first. There aren't any businesses that make surgical masks involved.
Login to get fewer ads

Oh - this is just brilliant on 10:02 - Aug 6 with 4792 viewshampstead_blue

Oh - this is just brilliant on 09:51 - Aug 6 by gordon

You should probably read what's happened first. There aren't any businesses that make surgical masks involved.

His company, Prospermill, had secured the rights to the full production capacity of a large factory in China to produce masks and was able to offer a large quantity almost immediately.

If I've misunderstood then I hold my hand up. The above is what I noted.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Oh - this is just brilliant on 10:06 - Aug 6 with 4781 viewsJammyDodgerrr

How about this.

Jus a balance.

This is horribly incorrect.

Let alone the fact, that the whole point is a multi-million pound contract was issued to a company worth £100, with no record of any relevance to PPE or masks, or anything, the government have consistently dished out massive amount of money to their peers and we have got nothing for it.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Oh - this is just brilliant on 10:17 - Aug 6 with 4707 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

How about this.

Jus a balance.

But Jezza was a cult thing!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Oh - this is just brilliant on 10:18 - Aug 6 with 4697 viewsgordon

Oh - this is just brilliant on 10:02 - Aug 6 by hampstead_blue

You've misunderstood.
Oh - this is just brilliant on 10:23 - Aug 6 with 4677 viewsBluefish

Oh - this is just brilliant on 08:59 - Aug 6 by Steve_M

Read through that earlier and a similar one a month or so ago. It keeps getting worse and should surely be huge news. I'm not one of these that slate the media and governments for everything but this is a shocker. People need to at least lose jobs if not be prosecuted. I just think we wont hear for this again.

It also makes those that constantly distrust the media and government (and constantly talk about them) worse because they now have a justification to hate everything and everyone. Something about lizards 🦎

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Oh - this is just brilliant on 10:25 - Aug 6 with 4667 viewsEwan_Oozami

Oh - this is just brilliant on 10:02 - Aug 6 by hampstead_blue

"The rights to a full production capacity"
That's using the need for masks in pandemic to make a huge profit without actually doing anything for it - this is what the money traders and profiteers and asset strippers want, the freedom to do this without intereference or scrutiny. You quite rightly say the Forces get a tough deal on being held to account - these people should be as well, the fact that they don't hold guns has nothing to do with it..
[Post edited 6 Aug 2020 10:47]

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Oh - this is just brilliant on 10:26 - Aug 6 with 4666 viewssyntaxerror

Oh - this is just brilliant on 10:18 - Aug 6 by gordon

You've misunderstood.

I suppose its also all fine that we also awarded PPE contracts to a pest control agency, and a sweet company, also with government contacts.

Disaster capitalism at its worst. But that's to be expected, Rees Mogg's dad wrote the book on it.
Balance? FFS on 10:28 - Aug 6 with 4686 viewsDyland

How about this.

Jus a balance.

Are you a troll or just an idiot? The company was not a surgical mask manufacturer.

I am fed up with this SH1T.

It is large scale corruption pure and simple and it's gone on in the UK for many decades and centuries but it's all less obvious for whatever reason unless you read Private Eye or suchlike, until now. This is something straight out of the "third world", apologies if there's a different term and that's offensive now.

We need a taskforce to hold these people to account. I doubt this government has the ability. It is rotten to the very core.

EDIT: Hampers... it's nothing to do with party politics. Died in the wool Conservative voters should be as up in arms as anyone. It's about conflict of interests and a lack of due diligence. As Stevers and others have commented it's both incompetence and corruption.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2020 10:50]

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Oh - this is just brilliant on 10:36 - Aug 6 with 4617 viewslongtimefan

Having read about this it appears the masks themselves are ok but have ear loops rather than head loops. Surely the answer is withhold payment until the fastenings have been modified?
Arf (n/t) on 10:37 - Aug 6 with 4614 viewsDyland

Oh - this is just brilliant on 09:35 - Aug 6 by factual_blue

Ah, but it's world-beating tinpottery banana republicanism.

Oh - this is just brilliant on 10:41 - Aug 6 with 4590 viewsbournemouthblue

This Government just goes from one calamity to another

What was going on with the housing minister, not so long ago?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

bravo on 10:43 - Aug 6 with 4580 viewsDyland

Oh - this is just brilliant on 10:25 - Aug 6 by Ewan_Oozami

"The rights to a full production capacity"
That's using the need for masks in pandemic to make a huge profit without actually doing anything for it - this is what the money traders and profiteers and asset strippers want, the freedom to do this without intereference or scrutiny. You quite rightly say the Forces get a tough deal on being held to account - these people should be as well, the fact that they don't hold guns has nothing to do with it..
[Post edited 6 Aug 2020 10:47]

A typo though...

"... the freedom to do this withOUT intereference or scrutiny."

The UK political landscape has been irreparably ruined. Our two main parties have been fooked over. Never forgive Momentum for ruining the Labour Party. START ANOTHER PARTY YOU IDIOTS. The biggest foot shooting in recent political history. As for the Tories, I guess there are books or tracts about how they have been manipulated to become so corrupt and venal and amoral. I don't believe it's simply a case of populism and opportunism.

Will something new, for better or worse, arise? Or will it just muddle along as it always has done?

Oh - this is just brilliant on 10:45 - Aug 6 with 4565 viewsbournemouthblue

Oh - this is just brilliant on 09:51 - Aug 6 by Keno

that scenario only really works if there was no other way of ordering masks and if said governments didn't have such an appalling record at this kind of thing

see also ferries

Buying the wrong Satellites, the other questionable PPE contract, that plane paint job, giving Serco Test, track and Trace

I'm sure there are a few others I have missed?

Edit: Outsourcing the probation service
[Post edited 6 Aug 2020 10:45]

Oh - this is just brilliant on 10:46 - Aug 6 with 4556 viewsGlasgowBlue

This really looks bad. Very bad.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Oh - this is just brilliant on 10:47 - Aug 6 with 4541 viewshomer_123

Oh - this is just brilliant on 10:41 - Aug 6 by bournemouthblue

This Government just goes from one calamity to another

What was going on with the housing minister, not so long ago?

Again, nothing further, in effect 'it never affected the final decision'.....what a load of BS.

Oh - this is just brilliant on 10:48 - Aug 6 with 4541 viewshomer_123

Oh - this is just brilliant on 10:46 - Aug 6 by GlasgowBlue

This really looks bad. Very bad.

My reply wasn't needed - apols GB.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2020 11:06]

Oh - this is just brilliant on 10:48 - Aug 6 with 4538 viewsbournemouthblue

Oh - this is just brilliant on 10:06 - Aug 6 by JammyDodgerrr

This is horribly incorrect.

Let alone the fact, that the whole point is a multi-million pound contract was issued to a company worth £100, with no record of any relevance to PPE or masks, or anything, the government have consistently dished out massive amount of money to their peers and we have got nothing for it.

See there was a smug Question Time audience member a little while back who said the problem with Socialism is you run out of spending other people's money much to the laughter of the audience

The problem with that argument is the idea the right wing are any better at spending it

In many cases they are far worse because they take Tax Payers money and give it to private companies to do the jobs the government should be doing
[Post edited 6 Aug 2020 10:51]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024