Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ITFC timing is always bad 14:03 - Aug 7 with 5132 viewskizaitfc

Premier League relegation we missed out on parachute payments by 1 or 2 years.

And now this a year after relegation to League 1.

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

ITFC timing is always bad on 14:04 - Aug 7 with 4780 viewsPhilTWTD

We did get parachute payments but they weren't as high as they subsequently grew to, I think as a result of us, Derby and Leicester all going into administration after relegation in 2002.
ITFC timing is always bad on 14:14 - Aug 7 with 4726 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

ITFC timing is always bad on 14:04 - Aug 7 by PhilTWTD

We did get parachute payments but they weren't as high as they subsequently grew to, I think as a result of us, Derby and Leicester all going into administration after relegation in 2002.

Can we throw in the collapse of ITV digital as well?

Plus England needing managers at the exact time keeping ours was crucial.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

ITFC timing is always bad on 15:09 - Aug 7 with 4656 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

ITFC timing is always bad on 14:14 - Aug 7 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Can we throw in the collapse of ITV digital as well?

Plus England needing managers at the exact time keeping ours was crucial.

3pts for a win instead of 2!
ITFC timing is always bad on 15:12 - Aug 7 with 4640 viewsWallingford_Boy

Floodlights being mandatory just as electricity costs spiralled in Suffolk..

RIP Sir Bobby

ITFC timing is always bad on 15:15 - Aug 7 with 4630 viewsGeoffSentence

ITFC timing is always bad on 14:04 - Aug 7 by PhilTWTD

Are you sure about that Phil? Because I am not. All I can find out there relating to the history of parachute payments is that they came in in 2006-2007.

Edit: These people are clever, they went to university and they say 2006/07

https://shura.shu.ac.uk/17115/3/Wilson-ParachutePaymentsInEnglishFootball%28AM%2
[Post edited 7 Aug 2020 15:20]

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

ITFC timing is always bad on 15:48 - Aug 7 with 4582 viewsPhilTWTD

ITFC timing is always bad on 15:15 - Aug 7 by GeoffSentence

Are you sure about that Phil? Because I am not. All I can find out there relating to the history of parachute payments is that they came in in 2006-2007.

Edit: These people are clever, they went to university and they say 2006/07

https://shura.shu.ac.uk/17115/3/Wilson-ParachutePaymentsInEnglishFootball%28AM%2
[Post edited 7 Aug 2020 15:20]

Sheepy talking about them in 2002 after our relegation:

Sheepy on Finance 6th Sep 2002 12:48
Town chairman David Sheepshanks has written about the general financial crisis which has hit football in an article in the Daily Telegraph. 0

ITFC timing is always bad on 16:02 - Aug 7 with 4547 viewsSteve_M

ITFC timing is always bad on 15:48 - Aug 7 by PhilTWTD

Town chairman David Sheepshanks has written about the general financial crisis which has hit football in an article in the Daily Telegraph. 0

Yep, they were there from the start of the Premier League I think, certainly had been around for a few years by 2002 anyway. Charlton, for example, went up for a season and then came back stronger in 2000.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

ITFC timing is always bad on 16:03 - Aug 7 with 4541 viewsMullet

ITFC timing is always bad on 16:02 - Aug 7 by Steve_M

Yep, they were there from the start of the Premier League I think, certainly had been around for a few years by 2002 anyway. Charlton, for example, went up for a season and then came back stronger in 2000.

I'm surprised it was as much as £5.5m always thought we got £3.5m for some reason.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Login to get fewer ads

ITFC timing is always bad on 16:06 - Aug 7 with 4532 viewsPhilTWTD

ITFC timing is always bad on 16:03 - Aug 7 by Mullet

I'm surprised it was as much as £5.5m always thought we got £3.5m for some reason.

I found another piece in which I refer to £3.9m. Might be Sheepy talking about what was paid over two seasons and me in the first year after relegation.

Town 15th in Cash League 20th May 2002 08:18
Figures out over the weekend showed that Town made £14.21 million from Premiership TV revenues last season. The Blues received the 15th largest share of the revenue, despite being relegated. 0

ITFC timing is always bad on 16:08 - Aug 7 with 4518 viewsMullet

ITFC timing is always bad on 16:06 - Aug 7 by PhilTWTD

I found another piece in which I refer to £3.9m. Might be Sheepy talking about what was paid over two seasons and me in the first year after relegation.

Town 15th in Cash League 20th May 2002 08:18
Figures out over the weekend showed that Town made £14.21 million from Premiership TV revenues last season. The Blues received the 15th largest share of the revenue, despite being relegated. 0

Either way it's a pittance and the way in which everything has ballooned by 1000's of % points in the Prem sphere is scandalous.

Maguire produced some mindbending stat about how Arsenal had made so much money in the Prem era and the exponential growth that explodes in the past 20 years is staggering.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

ITFC timing is always bad on 16:34 - Aug 7 with 4452 viewsPhilTWTD

ITFC timing is always bad on 16:08 - Aug 7 by Mullet

Either way it's a pittance and the way in which everything has ballooned by 1000's of % points in the Prem sphere is scandalous.

Maguire produced some mindbending stat about how Arsenal had made so much money in the Prem era and the exponential growth that explodes in the past 20 years is staggering.

Indeed, nothing like the Championship-distorting levels they've been for the last few seasons.
ITFC timing is always bad on 17:16 - Aug 7 with 4385 viewsGeoffSentence

ITFC timing is always bad on 15:48 - Aug 7 by PhilTWTD

So I wonder why everyone, including those esteemed academics from Sheffield Hallam, thinks that parachute payments only came in to play in 200/07. What was it about 2006/07 that made people think there were PPs in place that weren't before?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

ITFC timing is always bad on 17:20 - Aug 7 with 4371 viewsPhilTWTD

ITFC timing is always bad on 17:16 - Aug 7 by GeoffSentence

So I wonder why everyone, including those esteemed academics from Sheffield Hallam, thinks that parachute payments only came in to play in 200/07. What was it about 2006/07 that made people think there were PPs in place that weren't before?

Perhaps they got it from Wikipedia, which says they were introduced in 2006/07, which is evidently wrong: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League_parachute_and_solidarity_payments
ITFC timing is always bad on 06:46 - Aug 8 with 4175 viewsbournemouthblue

In the last 20 years we have
- Built two new stands when crowd revenue is going to become far less important
- Been relegated during the collapse of ITV Digital
- Missed out on the ballooning parachute payments which probably came as a result of that
- Have then had to compete with clubs who did benefit from these large payments
- Missed out on the ballooning TV money, rendering crowd revenue virtually pointless at the top-level
- We bothered to comply with FFP, making us less competitive overall
- The Elite Player Performance programme is introduced so 'Category One' Academies can now poach all your talent before it has a chance to see your first team
- Ipswich fail to achieve Category One status whilst Premier League Swansea are granted leniency until their system is up to scratch
- Having been relegated to the third tier following Hurst's transfer window from hell for the first time in about 60 years, the season is curtailed early because clubs can't afford CoVid testing. We probably would have missed the play-offs any way but did still have to play Bolton, Southend, Shrewsbury and MK Dons at home
- A salary cap is introduced so that all clubs are reduced to the wage expenditure of probably the bottom third of of teams in the League? Why this needs to happen given there are already FFP rules in League One which seem fairly sensible, is anyone's guess. So what if Bury and Bolton were run appallingly badly, it's a punishment for those who are sensibly run.

There you go, since relegation, we have always seemed to be the wrong side of history
[Post edited 8 Aug 2020 6:54]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

ITFC timing is always bad on 14:38 - Aug 8 with 4056 viewshoppy

ITFC timing is always bad on 06:46 - Aug 8 by bournemouthblue

- Missed out on the ballooning parachute payments which probably came as a result of that
- Missed out on the ballooning TV money, rendering crowd revenue virtually pointless at the top-level
- The Elite Player Performance programme is introduced so 'Category One' Academies can now poach all your talent before it has a chance to see your first team
- Ipswich fail to achieve Category One status whilst Premier League Swansea are granted leniency until their system is up to scratch
- Having been relegated to the third tier following Hurst's transfer window from hell for the first time in about 60 years, the season is curtailed early because clubs can't afford CoVid testing. We probably would have missed the play-offs any way but did still have to play Bolton, Southend, Shrewsbury and MK Dons at home
- A salary cap is introduced so that all clubs are reduced to the wage expenditure of probably the bottom third of of teams in the League? Why this needs to happen given there are already FFP rules in League One which seem fairly sensible, is anyone's guess. So what if Bury and Bolton were run appallingly badly, it's a punishment for those who are sensibly run.

There you go, since relegation, we have always seemed to be the wrong side of history

Away goals counting or not counting in the play-offs?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

ITFC timing is always bad on 14:43 - Aug 8 with 4054 viewsjayessess

Maybe it'll be good timing to get back into the Championship with a low wage bill just as the salary cap is forcing everyone else to cut their spending from a high and unwieldy base?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

ITFC timing is always bad on 14:50 - Aug 8 with 4032 viewsEwan_Oozami

ITFC timing is always bad on 14:38 - Aug 8 by hoppy

Away goals counting or not counting in the play-offs?

That is something ITFC lobbied for after being hit by it a couple of times in the 90s I believe, though I could be wrong..

Or were you being ironic? :-)

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

ITFC timing is always bad on 19:15 - Aug 8 with 3969 viewspatrickswell

ITFC timing is always bad on 06:46 - Aug 8 by bournemouthblue

Your last point is particularly galling given that Evans tried to be a mover in redressing the balance re parachute payments at Championship level. The Premier League threatened to withhold the EFL’s solidarity payments and instead of presenting a united front against this, Evans’s proposals never even got to a vote.

The last 6 months shows that Evans is seen as an irrelevant figure in football with less clout than the owner of Accrington f–-ing Stanley. I can only conclude they see what a lousy job he’s done of running us and collectively spite him because, well, he’s a f–king idiot.
ITFC timing is always bad on 21:37 - Aug 8 with 3914 viewsTieDyedIn95

It has nothing to do with timing or luck and everything to do with terrible leadership. You get what you deserve in football, Ipswich is a great club with an excellent fan base but a totally incompetent owner who's found his level in the game in League One sadly. If he didn't want to be here he should have done more to stay up. He had plenty of opportunity to do so, and better but chose not to.

Yeah he throws millions away every year on nothing but from a business perspective anyone who chucks millions at something to achieve nothing is equally not every good at business, even less so someone who's lost what close to 100mill in a decade on a business, which is what Evans has done at Ipswich. He's not the evil millionaire the Out group makes him out to be, he's just really crap at his role here and thats a fact.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

ITFC timing is always bad on 00:35 - Aug 9 with 3854 viewspatrickswell

ITFC timing is always bad on 17:20 - Aug 7 by PhilTWTD

Perhaps they got it from Wikipedia, which says they were introduced in 2006/07, which is evidently wrong: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League_parachute_and_solidarity_payments

Just further on this tack, I have a memory of listening to John Kerr being interviewed by Bryan Knights on the Soccerline after relegation in 1995 and Kerr mentioning that we would receive £1 million in both of the following two seasons from the Premier League so as to cushion lost revenue.
ITFC timing is always bad on 02:28 - Aug 9 with 3826 viewsbournemouthblue

ITFC timing is always bad on 14:50 - Aug 8 by Ewan_Oozami

That is something ITFC lobbied for after being hit by it a couple of times in the 90s I believe, though I could be wrong..

Yes we appealed against it, having hampered us previously?

Sheepshanks was fairly well respected in the league hierarchies back then

ITFC timing is always bad on 02:35 - Aug 9 with 3822 viewsbournemouthblue

ITFC timing is always bad on 21:37 - Aug 8 by TieDyedIn95

It has nothing to do with timing or luck and everything to do with terrible leadership. You get what you deserve in football, Ipswich is a great club with an excellent fan base but a totally incompetent owner who's found his level in the game in League One sadly. If he didn't want to be here he should have done more to stay up. He had plenty of opportunity to do so, and better but chose not to.

Yeah he throws millions away every year on nothing but from a business perspective anyone who chucks millions at something to achieve nothing is equally not every good at business, even less so someone who's lost what close to 100mill in a decade on a business, which is what Evans has done at Ipswich. He's not the evil millionaire the Out group makes him out to be, he's just really crap at his role here and thats a fact.

You're not far wrong there but it would be naive to assume some of these circumstances haven't hampered us further

There's no doubt the parachute payments system has made it increasingly hard for clubs out of the Premiership for a long time to return

Forest, Wednesday, Coventry, Bradford and a few others, certainly haven't managed it, nor have they ever really looked likely to

Leeds have only just got back

Leicester despite recent successes found it hard despite bouncing back at the first time of asking. It took wealthy Thai owners to turn them around.

Derby have managed one season in the Premier League since coming down with us and I'm sure they'd rather forget that one

Complying with FFP seems to have been a waste of time with the Football League moving the goalposts and enforcing it pretty weakly by in large. I always wondered if the club's who had complied could sue the Football League for a restraint of trade

The Elite Player Performance Programme has also meant a lot of young prospects who may have a crack at first team football before moving onto better things are leaving clubs at 15 or 16 now

Ipswich have lost three notable talents who would surely still be here and knocking on the door of the first team

There are winners and losers, we have very much fallen into the losers category and have fallen behind a lot of far smaller clubs in the last 20 years

All very depressing indeed, our fans deserve far better than this
[Post edited 9 Aug 2020 9:17]

ITFC timing is always bad on 08:53 - Aug 9 with 3689 viewshoppy

ITFC timing is always bad on 14:50 - Aug 8 by Ewan_Oozami

Yes, I know Sheepy managed to get it changed after we’d failed on it twice, but didn’t we then fall foul of it since it’s been changed where if it had still been the other way we would’ve benefitted? Vague memory.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

ITFC timing is always bad on 09:19 - Aug 9 with 3654 viewsbournemouthblue

ITFC timing is always bad on 08:53 - Aug 9 by hoppy

Yes, I know Sheepy managed to get it changed after we’d failed on it twice, but didn’t we then fall foul of it since it’s been changed where if it had still been the other way we would’ve benefitted? Vague memory.

I don't think so - We lost to West Ham outright on both occasions since?

The Bolton game went to extra time, would we have been knocked out in away goals there?

ITFC timing is always bad on 09:24 - Aug 9 with 3640 viewsMaySixth

We can't blame anyone else for our ineptitude in the transfer market in the 2001 2002 season

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024