Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment 14:10 - Aug 7 with 12055 viewsSteve_M

Poor Test from England, very good one from Pakistan so far.

With Stokes as a batsman him and Root are one place too far up and the order but the bowling yesterday gave Pakistan far too many easy runs.

Another defeat in the first Test of a series unless something unexpected happens. Broad's done his big score for the Summer but be nice to see another one and get to around 250.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 14:52 - Aug 8 with 4586 viewsAce_High1

Chance to get a 100 and bat England to victory and Root fails yet again.

When was the last time in the second innings he made a match winning contribution?

You just know Smith or Kohli would have got a 100 and batted their side to the win.
Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 15:11 - Aug 8 with 4566 viewsHerbivore

Think this is over. Not enough batting to come and too many runs needed. Not sure these two can hang around long enough and put on the sort of partnership needed to see us home.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 16:11 - Aug 8 with 4545 viewsChrisd

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 14:52 - Aug 8 by Ace_High1

Chance to get a 100 and bat England to victory and Root fails yet again.

When was the last time in the second innings he made a match winning contribution?

You just know Smith or Kohli would have got a 100 and batted their side to the win.

Unfortunately, both Smith and Kohli are a class above Root. He was shoulder to shoulder with those two not so long ago, but they have kicked on and left Root trailing behind.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 16:46 - Aug 8 with 4524 viewsHerbivore

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 16:11 - Aug 8 by Chrisd

Unfortunately, both Smith and Kohli are a class above Root. He was shoulder to shoulder with those two not so long ago, but they have kicked on and left Root trailing behind.

Agreed. Root has the talent and plays some beautiful shots but he doesn't get anywhere near enough big scores to be considered a great batsman. Too often he gets a start or a half century and gets himself out.

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 16:48 - Aug 8 with 4517 viewsNthQldITFC

Need 83 with five wickets in hand - has everyone stopped watching!?

Plenty of entertainment left, and Bumble just referred to the umpire's 'ringpiece'!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 16:54 - Aug 8 with 4504 viewsHerbivore

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 16:48 - Aug 8 by NthQldITFC

Plenty of entertainment left, and Bumble just referred to the umpire's 'ringpiece'!

Still watching. It's getting interesting but if we lose a wicket or two suddenly the game looks dead. Need these two to bat for another 45 mins or so (as long as possible really) and then we've got a good chance.

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 17:01 - Aug 8 with 4492 viewsitfcjoe

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 16:54 - Aug 8 by Herbivore

Still watching. It's getting interesting but if we lose a wicket or two suddenly the game looks dead. Need these two to bat for another 45 mins or so (as long as possible really) and then we've got a good chance.

I wouldn’t say so, both of these can up pace and those at bottom of batting order can hang around if need be

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 17:08 - Aug 8 with 4476 viewsHerbivore

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 17:01 - Aug 8 by itfcjoe

I wouldn’t say so, both of these can up pace and those at bottom of batting order can hang around if need be

Broad and Bess offer a bit but Anderson and Archer aren't up to a lot. It's a pretty long tail for this test. Every boundary tips the balance more in our favour though. It's now at the stage where it's really hard for Pakistan to both attack and defend.

Login to get fewer ads

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 17:15 - Aug 8 with 4465 viewsgazzer1999

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 16:48 - Aug 8 by NthQldITFC

I think he said the umpire has his ring piece out, looked like he was checking the shape of the ball, unfortunate choice of words.😆😉😜🤣
Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 17:26 - Aug 8 with 4442 viewsNthQldITFC

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 17:15 - Aug 8 by gazzer1999

I think he said the umpire has his ring piece out, looked like he was checking the shape of the ball, unfortunate choice of words.😆😉😜🤣

Indeed. I wonder what Johners would have made of it.

'For goodness sake, Aggers, stop it!'

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 17:26 - Aug 8 with 4434 viewsChrisd

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 17:01 - Aug 8 by itfcjoe

It looks one of those wickets where it’s tough for the new batsmen, if they get one, two or three can fall very quickly. Buttler and Woakes need to do the majority of the leg work here, 52 runs is still plenty to get.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2020 17:32]

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 17:31 - Aug 8 with 4423 viewsChrisd

Going to throw a question out there to all you cricket fans, should Buttler still keep his place even if he gets us over the line? Is he in this England side for his batting or his glove work?

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 17:36 - Aug 8 with 4412 viewsHerbivore

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 17:31 - Aug 8 by Chrisd

Going to throw a question out there to all you cricket fans, should Buttler still keep his place even if he gets us over the line? Is he in this England side for his batting or his glove work?

More for his batting. He's nowhere near being our best keeper. I'd be interested to see if it would help his batting if he wasn't spending all day behind the stumps as well. I do think he's got all the ability but he seems unsure of his role in the side at times. Get him in at number 6 to do some damage with the bat and let him focus on being the guy that takes the game away or finishes the job.

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 18:42 - Aug 8 with 4351 viewsAce_High1

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 17:36 - Aug 8 by Herbivore

More for his batting. He's nowhere near being our best keeper. I'd be interested to see if it would help his batting if he wasn't spending all day behind the stumps as well. I do think he's got all the ability but he seems unsure of his role in the side at times. Get him in at number 6 to do some damage with the bat and let him focus on being the guy that takes the game away or finishes the job.

If you were picking on stats you would not pick Jos, he is in for his mentality, he is a winner and has an attacking mindset.

Today he showed the difference, and actually it is exactly the one thing Root lacks the mentality in the big moments. Its why Root is behind Smith etc as he has a lapse of concentration and gives it away.

I have said this a year ago, England would have a better team with Buttler as captain (tactically he is light years in front of Root) and let Root concentrate on his batting to get better and back to where he as 4 years ago.

Buttler will replace Morgan in 18 months as ODI skipper as well.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2020 18:43]
Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 18:46 - Aug 8 with 4336 viewsRyorry

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 14:11 - Aug 8 by gainsboroughblue

I'm going out. Radio off. Any wicket that falls is not down to me.

Your self-sacrifice is greatly appreciated, thank you & congrats 👏🏻 ;)
#HePlayedHisPart

Amazing match, & well done Buttler & Woakes. Can there be joint MoMs?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 19:07 - Aug 8 with 4305 viewsSteve_M

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 18:46 - Aug 8 by Ryorry

#HePlayedHisPart

Another great Test match, glad I left a small caveat on my miserable opening post yesterday.

Pretty decent all round, openers got through the new this inning and Butler and Woakes were excellent. Think it took until that no ball with 13 needed for me to think we were past blowing it.

And, best of all, the next Test starts Friday.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 19:11 - Aug 8 with 4295 viewsChrisd

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 19:07 - Aug 8 by Steve_M

Another great Test match, glad I left a small caveat on my miserable opening post yesterday.

Pretty decent all round, openers got through the new this inning and Butler and Woakes were excellent. Think it took until that no ball with 13 needed for me to think we were past blowing it.

All the tests this summer have been good value so far, roll on Friday!

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 19:16 - Aug 8 with 4286 viewsJonBlue

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 19:11 - Aug 8 by Chrisd

All the tests this summer have been good value so far, roll on Friday!

You don't even have to wait that long, the 2nd test starts on Thursday...

Brilliant game, not quite as nerve wracking as Headingley last year but it was close.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2020 19:17]
Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 19:20 - Aug 8 with 4274 viewsChrisd

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 19:16 - Aug 8 by JonBlue

You don't even have to wait that long, the 2nd test starts on Thursday...

Brilliant game, not quite as nerve wracking as Headingley last year but it was close.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2020 19:17]

Even better!

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 19:29 - Aug 8 with 4256 viewsgainsboroughblue

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 18:46 - Aug 8 by Ryorry

#HePlayedHisPart

I should go out more often.

Mind you, as soon as I got in the car for return journey, I switched on and Buttler survived two balls of my listening.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 19:36 - Aug 8 with 4246 viewsIpswichKnight

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 19:07 - Aug 8 by Steve_M

Better news it starts on Thursday! I thought England had blown it conceding such a big 1st innings lead but the batting and bowling was so much better 2nd time around much much more like it.

I’d imagine Anderson will get a rest though do you play Wood or bring Crawley back if Stokes is fit enough to bowl?
Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 19:56 - Aug 8 with 4218 viewsShawsey

Fantastic victory. Under real pressure, they performed.Brilliant. Same X1 for the next test please. They won't always win, but they have everything needed for sustained success. Brilliant bowling attack, batting throughout the side.
Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 20:03 - Aug 8 with 4207 viewsShawsey

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 17:31 - Aug 8 by Chrisd

Both. Alec Stewart wasn't the best keeper in the world, but could bat for hours. We need a mix throughout the X1 and at the moment we have it. Broad, Anderson, Woakes, Archer are as good as any bowling attack. We have a batting line up most countries would love to have. We will lose the odd test, of course we will, but they have the right mix for a sustained period of success. We are not a one or two man side, which we have been in the past. No real reliance on one bowler or one batsman.
Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 20:03 - Aug 8 with 4204 viewsAce_High1

Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 19:36 - Aug 8 by IpswichKnight

Better news it starts on Thursday! I thought England had blown it conceding such a big 1st innings lead but the batting and bowling was so much better 2nd time around much much more like it.

I’d imagine Anderson will get a rest though do you play Wood or bring Crawley back if Stokes is fit enough to bowl?

They will make two changes. You can see it clearly.

Crawley for Anderson (rest) and Wood for Archer (rest).
Cricket: Can't see England getting past 200 at the moment on 20:06 - Aug 8 with 4203 viewsDyland

Stunning match.

Test cricket is amazing.

Unlucky Pakistan. Really good team and there was nothing in it. They're better than England truth be told. But that's sport innit.

Can't say enough how good it is Pakistan and the Windies kept to the tour.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024