Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. 14:30 - Aug 7 with 16374 viewsCoco

Clear route to the first team. Excellent coaching. Clear strategy. Brilliant recruitment.

But we don't.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 18:07 - Aug 7 with 2955 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 15:11 - Aug 7 by Libero

Kenny Daglish and Kevin Keegan are the two that come to mind from my era.
Daglish is the most relevant comparison, in my opinion.

When did Dalglish make a successful return after 10 years out? Liverpool finished 8th in his only full season in charge and he was immediately dismissed at the end of the season

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 18:31 - Aug 7 with 2928 viewspositivity

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 18:07 - Aug 7 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

When did Dalglish make a successful return after 10 years out? Liverpool finished 8th in his only full season in charge and he was immediately dismissed at the end of the season

and kevin keegan was only out for 3 years between city and toon!

in kenny's defence, he did buy suarez which set a lot of the groundwork for the rodgers success (but also carroll, so swings and roundabouts!)

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 18:31 - Aug 7 with 2928 viewsLibero

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 18:07 - Aug 7 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

You’re joking? Dalglish won a cup and put the wheels in motion for their relative success with Rodgers and then Klopp.

It’s also worth looking at some of the signings he made!
[Post edited 7 Aug 2020 18:32]
Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 18:34 - Aug 7 with 2918 viewsLibero

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 18:31 - Aug 7 by positivity

and kevin keegan was only out for 3 years between city and toon!

in kenny's defence, he did buy suarez which set a lot of the groundwork for the rodgers success (but also carroll, so swings and roundabouts!)

Ah, I misremembered the length of time Keegan was away!

Congratulations, it’s the first point you’ve made in this thread that carries any weight.
Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 18:35 - Aug 7 with 2913 viewsBlueBadger

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 16:54 - Aug 7 by itfcjoe

A lot of words in this thread, that I can't be bothered to read.

But I agree with anyone praising Burley and disagree with anyone not.

Succinct as always, Joe.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 18:39 - Aug 7 with 2909 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 18:31 - Aug 7 by Libero

You’re joking? Dalglish won a cup and put the wheels in motion for their relative success with Rodgers and then Klopp.

They finished 8th - their joint lowest finish since 1962. It was a massive failure

You’re also giving way too much credit for the recruitment - Liverpool’s recruitment is rather famously led by committee (notably Michael Edwards). And as far as groundwork goes I would suggest that the subsequent signings of the likes of Salah, Mane, Wijnaldum, Van Dijk, Robertson, Allison and Fabinho (plus emergence of TAA) is a pretty significant change from what was left!

Yours, a Burley lover
[Post edited 7 Aug 2020 18:40]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 18:42 - Aug 7 with 2899 viewspositivity

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 18:31 - Aug 7 by Libero

so, he took a team from 12th to 8th, and he won the cup which is the 4th most important to the fans.

if burley can repeat that fabulous achievement he'd take us to 9th in league one with the leasing.com trophy (i had to look that one up).

i'll pass on that 'success' and fast forward to our brendan rodgers/jurgen klopp (no link to liverpool's glory years there) thanks!

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 18:59 - Aug 7 with 2879 viewsNthQldITFC

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 16:54 - Aug 7 by itfcjoe

A lot of words in this thread, that I can't be bothered to read.

But I agree with anyone praising Burley and disagree with anyone not.

I've just skimmed through your post, and I like it!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Login to get fewer ads

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 19:18 - Aug 7 with 2857 viewsLibero

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 18:39 - Aug 7 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

They finished 8th - their joint lowest finish since 1962. It was a massive failure

You’re also giving way too much credit for the recruitment - Liverpool’s recruitment is rather famously led by committee (notably Michael Edwards). And as far as groundwork goes I would suggest that the subsequent signings of the likes of Salah, Mane, Wijnaldum, Van Dijk, Robertson, Allison and Fabinho (plus emergence of TAA) is a pretty significant change from what was left!

Yours, a Burley lover
[Post edited 7 Aug 2020 18:40]

I believe their recruitment then it was led by a committee that included Edwards, Comoli and Dalglish, who held a role at the club before his appointment as manager? Academy based, possibly?

Either way, it’s irrelevant to the discussion really and not a hill I’m prepared to die on, I’m not a Liverpool supporter, I just know that Dalglish stopped the rot and won their first trophy in a few years while setting wheels in motion for future success. He was referenced as doing so in a recent Tifo/Athletic podcast I listened to, I think it might actually have been with Norwich’s Webber, who was also a part of their recruitment at one point. (can’t remember for sure, listen to too much content to be 100%)

It’s all a bit of a distraction for the poster (forgotten his name) who was making daft comments about Burley’s suitability for the job at Ipswich Town Football Club.
Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 19:29 - Aug 7 with 2849 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Man. Check.
Scottish. Check.
Former footballer. Check.
Experience of football management. Check.

We are in luck. Paul Lambert is a man like George Burley.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 19:34 - Aug 7 with 2842 viewsLibero

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 19:29 - Aug 7 by Tangledupin_Blue

Man. Check.
Scottish. Check.
Former footballer. Check.
Experience of football management. Check.

We are in luck. Paul Lambert is a man like George Burley.

Wash your mouth out.
Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 22:38 - Aug 7 with 2784 viewssmithy91

Agreed, if Lambert continues to show little signs of putting together a cohesive team and system then what else do we really have to lose? I see little if any negative of bringing a club legend in for at least a remaining portion of next season to at least steady the ship.

Whats football without the fans? Disregarding Covid, his appointment would bring back the vast majority of fans instantly. He could command instant respect of the squad due to what he has achieved here!

I for one find it hard to believe that Evans has not considered this move in the past, and i cannot understand why he hasnt already approached him! Since Mick, even through the slight 'feel good' period under Lambert around the club (off the pitch mainly) during the relegation season, i feel like there has been a divide amongst fans about how the club is run and if Evans made the right choice post MM. This would be a great pr move for ME, how has he not seen this?
Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 16:08 - Aug 8 with 2704 viewsJoHnNnY

I actually think Joe Royle did a good job too - and correct me if I’m wrong, had a tighter budget than all of the managers we’ve had here since Burley up to Lambert.

Can we just play some attractive football please?
Poll: Who would like to see a return of the previous badge design?

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 17:56 - Aug 8 with 2675 viewsBrixtonBlue

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 16:08 - Aug 8 by JoHnNnY

I actually think Joe Royle did a good job too - and correct me if I’m wrong, had a tighter budget than all of the managers we’ve had here since Burley up to Lambert.

He also inherited a MUCH better team.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 18:50 - Aug 8 with 2641 viewsPhilTWTD

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 17:56 - Aug 8 by BrixtonBlue

Most of which he was forced to sell!
Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 18:59 - Aug 8 with 2623 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 17:56 - Aug 8 by BrixtonBlue

Do you mean that team who had been lazy/unable to make tackles in 2001/02? Moreover we were also 'rewarded' by this attitude.

Chris Marsdens goal for Southampton at Portman Road and its manner was the most appropriate summary of that team.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2020 18:59]
Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 19:03 - Aug 8 with 2613 viewsBrixtonBlue

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 18:59 - Aug 8 by Mach_foreignBlue

Do you mean that team who had been lazy/unable to make tackles in 2001/02? Moreover we were also 'rewarded' by this attitude.

Chris Marsdens goal for Southampton at Portman Road and its manner was the most appropriate summary of that team.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2020 18:59]

Are you denying Joe Royle inherited a much better team than Lambert?

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 19:05 - Aug 8 with 2611 viewsBrixtonBlue

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 18:50 - Aug 8 by PhilTWTD

Most of which he was forced to sell!

He still had a decent squad. Certainly more decent than we've had since, wouldn't you say? Comparing that squad to now is night and day!

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 19:05 - Aug 8 with 2610 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 19:03 - Aug 8 by BrixtonBlue

Are you denying Joe Royle inherited a much better team than Lambert?

Your question is your answer to my question, right?
Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 19:14 - Aug 8 with 2598 viewsPhilTWTD

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 19:05 - Aug 8 by BrixtonBlue

He still had a decent squad. Certainly more decent than we've had since, wouldn't you say? Comparing that squad to now is night and day!

He rebuilt it at very little outlay and came within a whisker of the Premier League. Better than Mick's squad that got in the play-offs and certainly anything since then.
Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 19:49 - Aug 8 with 2575 viewsWickets

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:36 - Aug 7 by Keno

unless we get someone who can take the youths we have a mould them into a team

If there is an up side to this salary cap than this is it . It will be very interesting to see how many of our highly rated young players can handle League 1 .
Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 21:21 - Aug 8 with 2552 viewsBrixtonBlue

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 19:05 - Aug 8 by Mach_foreignBlue

Your question is your answer to my question, right?

eh?

We were talking about whether Royle had a better team than we have now. Not sure what the relevance of your point was.

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 21:45 - Aug 8 with 2531 viewsTieDyedIn95

Now, if we had a man like George Burley in charge I could see a way out of this. on 14:33 - Aug 7 by J2BLUE

We could have Houdini in charge and still not escape this league.

Someone wearing an ITFC shirt has really pissed the gods off.

It's called poor leadership, poor planning and incompetence. Its not luck or football Gods, our owner just found his level. You get what you deserve in football, we fans may not deserve it but Evans does.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024