Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
can anyone explain the salary cap? 17:06 - Aug 7 with 2863 viewspositivity

anyone know if my reading of the rules is erroneous?

i make it we have 23 over 21 players contracted as of today. what constitutes an under-21, is it age at the start of the season/end of the season/start of the contract/something else?

as these all have contracts agreed before this season, are these all counted as £1300 a week each (unless any have lower wages than this, seems unlikely for the vast majority)?

will any contract payoffs would be included in this?

i'm assuming manager/coaching staff wages aren't included in this?

will fees to buy a player aren't included in this, guessing not?

will signing-on fees be included in this?

As our squad is larger than 20 would we banned from signing anyone until this is reduced?

by my reckoning 23 players takes us to just over 1.5m, giving us just less than a million to play with.

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 17:11 - Aug 7 with 2842 viewsArnieM

Can’t answer your questions I’m afraid. But the more I think about this salary cap the more 8 th8nk it could be classed as “ restraint of trade”, which is illegal Is it not ?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 17:15 - Aug 7 with 2821 viewsWickets

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 17:11 - Aug 7 by ArnieM

Can’t answer your questions I’m afraid. But the more I think about this salary cap the more 8 th8nk it could be classed as “ restraint of trade”, which is illegal Is it not ?

Yes i think you must be right and there must be a long way to go before this can be enforced .
can anyone explain the salary cap? on 17:26 - Aug 7 with 2789 viewsBloomBlue

I think the Manager/Coaching staff is a good point (I don't know if they are) but if players are capped then shouldn't the manager & coaching staff also be capped?

Why pick just on the players
can anyone explain the salary cap? on 17:41 - Aug 7 with 2760 viewsFtnfwest

I thought under 21 salaries don’t count, so you have the whole of the £2.5m for 20 over 21s?
can anyone explain the salary cap? on 17:41 - Aug 7 with 2760 viewsArnieM

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 17:26 - Aug 7 by BloomBlue

I think the Manager/Coaching staff is a good point (I don't know if they are) but if players are capped then shouldn't the manager & coaching staff also be capped?

Very good point ( probably the only one we’ll get this season ) . ....as others have said, I don’t think this wages cap will go unchallenged in the courts....how have Posh responded?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 17:46 - Aug 7 with 2748 viewspositivity

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 17:41 - Aug 7 by Ftnfwest

I thought under 21 salaries don’t count, so you have the whole of the £2.5m for 20 over 21s?

i think we've got 23 over-21s though...
[Post edited 7 Aug 2020 17:46]

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 17:49 - Aug 7 with 2722 viewsPhilTWTD

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 17:41 - Aug 7 by ArnieM

Very good point ( probably the only one we’ll get this season ) . ....as others have said, I don’t think this wages cap will go unchallenged in the courts....how have Posh responded?

They voted in favour and good news for them as not among the division's bigger clubs.
can anyone explain the salary cap? on 17:50 - Aug 7 with 2719 viewsPhilTWTD

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 17:26 - Aug 7 by BloomBlue

Don't think manager and staff come into the calculation.
Login to get fewer ads

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 18:04 - Aug 7 with 2677 viewsFtnfwest

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 17:46 - Aug 7 by positivity

i think we've got 23 over-21s though...
[Post edited 7 Aug 2020 17:46]

Ditch chambo and skuse, job done....and Wilson
can anyone explain the salary cap? on 18:43 - Aug 7 with 2613 viewsPinewoodblue

Don’t forget agents fees have to be added on and we have a lot of players in last year of their contract

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 18:48 - Aug 7 with 2602 viewspositivity

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 18:04 - Aug 7 by Ftnfwest

Ditch chambo and skuse, job done....and Wilson

who's going to take them on though?

if we ditch them we'll have to pay up their contracts, which will probably then be counted at their real value (which is probably more than 1300 a week)!

can we have a load of player-coaches and not count their wages?

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 19:29 - Aug 7 with 2544 viewsPablokuqi

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 17:11 - Aug 7 by ArnieM

Please explain how is it a restraint of trade?
Every single business has a budget whether enforced or chosen. Footballer turns up at interview. We love you but our we can only x. Sorry I am not interested goes to next club etc etc.
can anyone explain the salary cap? on 20:38 - Aug 7 with 2469 viewseireblue

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 19:29 - Aug 7 by Pablokuqi

Every single business has a budget whether enforced or chosen. Footballer turns up at interview. We love you but our we can only x. Sorry I am not interested goes to next club etc etc.

A club with greater income, generated by greater gate receipts and other stuff, like shirt sales, hospitality, won’t be able to use that income on player salaries.
can anyone explain the salary cap? on 20:41 - Aug 7 with 2462 viewsCoco

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 17:50 - Aug 7 by PhilTWTD

Is there a limit on the amount of player managers you can appoint?

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 20:41 - Aug 7 with 2457 viewsjeera

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 20:41 - Aug 7 by Coco

Are we after Wayne Rooney now then?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 20:52 - Aug 7 with 2424 viewsPhilTWTD

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 20:41 - Aug 7 by Coco

I like your lateral thinking.
can anyone explain the salary cap? on 20:59 - Aug 7 with 2391 viewscatch74

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 20:52 - Aug 7 by PhilTWTD

I like your lateral thinking.

How are Sunderland looking, will this affect their Garbutt offer?
Rather not have him at a direct competitor.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 21:02 - Aug 7 with 2374 viewsBloomBlue

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 20:38 - Aug 7 by eireblue

A club with greater income, generated by greater gate receipts and other stuff, like shirt sales, hospitality, won’t be able to use that income on player salaries.

They can on U21 players. U21s will be on £8-10k over 21s will be on £1,300.
Sounds like they're breaking some ageism laws
can anyone explain the salary cap? on 21:07 - Aug 7 with 2367 viewsPhilTWTD

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 20:59 - Aug 7 by catch74

How are Sunderland looking, will this affect their Garbutt offer?
Rather not have him at a direct competitor.

No idea on their wage bill, but I assume they'll have been working assuming the cap was going to be implemented.
can anyone explain the salary cap? on 21:09 - Aug 7 with 2357 viewsPablokuqi

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 20:38 - Aug 7 by eireblue

But that is still not a restraint of trade in the legal sense. It is individual based not club. The club can still trade. Ultimately it is up to the the competition rules. In this case voted for by the participants. For example in cricket the local league says no paid players. I am a talented cricketer that should be paid, is that a restraint of trade? Remember we as a club had a wage bill over 100% of income in the championship and still we had one of the lowest in the league. If we were in championship we would be begging for the 18m limit. We would be begging for 12m!

Ps I am not talented cricketer worthy of pay.
can anyone explain the salary cap? on 21:10 - Aug 7 with 2350 viewsJ2BLUE

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 21:07 - Aug 7 by PhilTWTD

No idea on their wage bill, but I assume they'll have been working assuming the cap was going to be implemented.

Could we sign someone like Smith and pay him £2.5k a week with £500k signing on bonus paid in weekly installments over the length of the contract?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 21:15 - Aug 7 with 2332 viewsOhFreddieFreddie

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 19:29 - Aug 7 by Pablokuqi

You have to consider the players that will turn 22 but are not deemed part of the squad, do they get released, then who has space to take them? Most clubs will not in the efl, therefore their trade has been not just restricted but completely destroyed at a reasonable level
can anyone explain the salary cap? on 21:36 - Aug 7 with 2280 viewsPablokuqi

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 21:15 - Aug 7 by OhFreddieFreddie

You have to consider the players that will turn 22 but are not deemed part of the squad, do they get released, then who has space to take them? Most clubs will not in the efl, therefore their trade has been not just restricted but completely destroyed at a reasonable level

But it hasn't. If they are good enough they get employed if they are not they don't. As someone who worked in an industry in one part of the country where there was a massive oversupply and got one interview in seven years vs another part of country which I got two interviews and two job offers in two days, that is life. I would be amazed if a court of law said a salary cap was a restraint of trade. But I only manged a half a law degree 20yrs ago. So I might be wrong.

A salary cap is simply a budget tool and is currently in operation in other sports in the UK. Some sports for example local cricket don't allow paid players is that a restriction of trade?

The ECB have now said Irish cricketers are now classified as overseas players so they can't play in England even if they are British. Is this a restraint of trade? Arguably more than the salary cap situation.

Our problem isn't the salary cap it is a massively overpaid manager who has mismanaged the club and a clueless owner who appointed him along with every manager bar Mick.
can anyone explain the salary cap? on 21:54 - Aug 7 with 2242 viewsMelford

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 17:50 - Aug 7 by PhilTWTD

Could we get around this by making Skuse and/or Chambers a player/coach then? They must be amongst the highest earners.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 22:29 - Aug 7 with 2178 viewsPhilTWTD

can anyone explain the salary cap? on 21:10 - Aug 7 by J2BLUE

Could we sign someone like Smith and pay him £2.5k a week with £500k signing on bonus paid in weekly installments over the length of the contract?

Think that counts towards the total unfortunately.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024