Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do we conduct any European scouting at all? 19:43 - Aug 7 with 1633 viewsAlexGreen

I used to love calling up Ipswich Town Soccerline as a kid to hear Bryan Knights tell me about the latest trialist from Iceland, or reading about Petta or Holster joining and then seeing them either push on or disappear into obscurity.

We cast such a narrow net nowadays, and with so many matches streamed live (is there an iFollow equivalent abroad?) or eScout etc, surely we could step that up even without having budget to travel?

Poll: Who from our injured list will play the most games in 20/21

Do we conduct any European scouting at all? on 19:54 - Aug 7 with 1580 viewsDarth_Koont

That's a big investment when everyone is looking for profitable players - especially in their own country.

If we were a draw for Dutch players that was bigger than Utrecht, bigger than Djurgården for Swedish players, bigger than St. Pölten for Austrian players etc. then we'd have a point.

We're unfortunately a third-tier team that offers almost nothing to a young talented player overseas. If we still have our Irish contacts and reputation despite nothing coming from it then that's about it for scouting. Othherwise let's see who turns up and wants to work for a contract.

Pronouns: He/Him

Do we conduct any European scouting at all? on 20:00 - Aug 7 with 1550 viewsPablokuqi

Do we conduct any European scouting at all? on 19:54 - Aug 7 by Darth_Koont

That's a big investment when everyone is looking for profitable players - especially in their own country.

If we were a draw for Dutch players that was bigger than Utrecht, bigger than Djurgården for Swedish players, bigger than St. Pölten for Austrian players etc. then we'd have a point.

We're unfortunately a third-tier team that offers almost nothing to a young talented player overseas. If we still have our Irish contacts and reputation despite nothing coming from it then that's about it for scouting. Othherwise let's see who turns up and wants to work for a contract.

Players in Irish league that I thought were decent like Sykes and Cooper at my Irish league club Glenavon I thought yeah League 1 or 2 level but not never Ipswich level. What have we become? Carson and Casement coming back. We have have fallen so far.
Do we conduct any European scouting at all? on 20:10 - Aug 7 with 1502 viewsDarth_Koont

Do we conduct any European scouting at all? on 20:00 - Aug 7 by Pablokuqi

Players in Irish league that I thought were decent like Sykes and Cooper at my Irish league club Glenavon I thought yeah League 1 or 2 level but not never Ipswich level. What have we become? Carson and Casement coming back. We have have fallen so far.

We've fallen but we have a decent investment in the academy and the local area that can pick up players plus a few from surrounding academy areas that might get overlooked.

If there's one thing Evans has done well (belatedly) it's try to maintain the credibility of our academy that develops a pool of mostly local talent. Plus we also have a decent record of recruiting young players like Mings from further afield and bringing players through under Mick.

That needs to be our focus and hopefully one that Lambert can buy into a little better.

Do we conduct any European scouting at all? on 20:19 - Aug 7 with 1470 viewsPablokuqi

Do we conduct any European scouting at all? on 20:10 - Aug 7 by Darth_Koont

We've fallen but we have a decent investment in the academy and the local area that can pick up players plus a few from surrounding academy areas that might get overlooked.

If there's one thing Evans has done well (belatedly) it's try to maintain the credibility of our academy that develops a pool of mostly local talent. Plus we also have a decent record of recruiting young players like Mings from further afield and bringing players through under Mick.

That needs to be our focus and hopefully one that Lambert can buy into a little better.

Do you think? Up until last summer we were the only club out of 92 without a community trust. At my kid's club the two best players are down at Colchester because the coaching is so much better. They were at Town. Another goes to the Norwich sessions in Ipswich. I wish I shared your optimism.
Do we conduct any European scouting at all? on 21:14 - Aug 7 with 1357 viewsDarth_Koont

Do we conduct any European scouting at all? on 20:19 - Aug 7 by Pablokuqi

Do you think? Up until last summer we were the only club out of 92 without a community trust. At my kid's club the two best players are down at Colchester because the coaching is so much better. They were at Town. Another goes to the Norwich sessions in Ipswich. I wish I shared your optimism.

I'm not local so don't know if the lack of a community trust has any bearing on the academy stuff.

Isn't that something else?

Do we conduct any European scouting at all? on 21:46 - Aug 7 with 1304 viewsPablokuqi

Do we conduct any European scouting at all? on 21:14 - Aug 7 by Darth_Koont

I'm not local so don't know if the lack of a community trust has any bearing on the academy stuff.

Isn't that something else?

Community Trusts coaching feeds into academy. Have to be 9 before join club academy so clubs offer coaching to a wide range of abilities for younger kids in the hope of finding players. We have let Norwich and Colchester come into our area and we have tried to address by introducing the Community Trust this season but from what I gather those clubs are still offering a superior product.
Do we conduct any European scouting at all? on 21:50 - Aug 7 with 1299 viewsTrequartista

I would seriously hope not, otherwise the money may as well have been poured down a drain for the amount of european players that is has unearthed.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Do we conduct any European scouting at all? on 00:06 - Aug 8 with 1155 viewsDarth_Koont

Do we conduct any European scouting at all? on 21:46 - Aug 7 by Pablokuqi

Community Trusts coaching feeds into academy. Have to be 9 before join club academy so clubs offer coaching to a wide range of abilities for younger kids in the hope of finding players. We have let Norwich and Colchester come into our area and we have tried to address by introducing the Community Trust this season but from what I gather those clubs are still offering a superior product.

OK, I get that. But is that really affecting our 17 and 18-year olds that could reach the first team squad?

That sounds literally more like a community thing. Which definitely has a club/support aspect but not sure of the player quality angle.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024