Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sweden : Covid-19 21:17 - Aug 7 with 34322 viewsTrequartista

Sweden (No lockdown) 1 in 1800 people died, UK 1 in 1450 people died.

Sweden (No face muzzle) - infection rate down between 15 and 20%, July 23 to August 6. Everywhere else in Europe except Croatia and Portugal - infection rate up.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-chancellor-rishi-sunak-warns-of-travel-di

Was gornon then? The way deaths are recorded vary widely i know that much, but still look at those infection rate figures. Perhaps if we had a first-class testing system we wouldn't need these wretched muzzles?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Sweden : Covid-19 on 21:20 - Aug 7 with 6170 viewsGeoffSentence

Is it because Swedish people are generally quite sensible and don't act like a bunch of arrogant, self-entitled pricks?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Sweden : Covid-19 on 21:25 - Aug 7 with 6139 viewsBloomBlue

UK; people cramming onto beaches ignoring social distancing and when it's pointed out to them they tell the person to f**k off.

Sweden; people social distance
Sweden : Covid-19 on 21:26 - Aug 7 with 6135 viewsTrequartista

Sweden : Covid-19 on 21:20 - Aug 7 by GeoffSentence

Is it because Swedish people are generally quite sensible and don't act like a bunch of arrogant, self-entitled pricks?

If you are referring to the UK there, it is very low down in the current European table for increase in infections.

Sweden : Covid-19 on 21:32 - Aug 7 with 6100 viewsTrequartista

Sweden : Covid-19 on 21:25 - Aug 7 by BloomBlue

UK; people cramming onto beaches ignoring social distancing and when it's pointed out to them they tell the person to f**k off.

Sweden; people social distance

I went to a beach today on the south coast and it was quite well populated without being Bournemouth-styley crowded. Although it would have looked quite bad from a certain camera angle, no-one actually came within about 5 metres of each other and it is outside. I don't think there is any evidence these "crowded" beaches are causing any spikes.

Sweden : Covid-19 on 21:33 - Aug 7 with 6082 viewsStokieBlue

A huge simplification but to be expected I guess.

How about this important stat you missed from the list:

- UK population density 275 per square km
- Sweden population density 25 per square km

People in Sweden simply don't come into contact with as many people this the vectors of transmission are greatly reduced. They are also in general more sensible which is highlighted by your childish use of "muzzle".

What kind of person can't wear a mask for a few minutes to help their fellow countrymen?

Muzzle? Ridiculous.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Sweden : Covid-19 on 21:44 - Aug 7 with 6026 viewsTrequartista

Sweden : Covid-19 on 21:33 - Aug 7 by StokieBlue

People in Sweden simply don't come into contact with as many people this the vectors of transmission are greatly reduced. They are also in general more sensible which is highlighted by your childish use of "muzzle".

What kind of person can't wear a mask for a few minutes to help their fellow countrymen?

Muzzle? Ridiculous.

SB

I will continue in a civil fashion, despite the mildly aggressive reply. For the death rate, yes it's sparsely populated but a higher percentage live in urban areas i believe. There are many factors skewing figures either way of course as i've already acknowledged with the way deaths are counted. It just seems to me that a lockdown and no lockdown should produce much different outcomes, but don't seem to.

Regarding the infection rates, I don't think you addressed that - is there evidence to say we are actually helping a fellow countryman? Again, you would expect to see different results with the different approaches, even taking other factors into consideration, but no, the reduction in Sweden is remarkable, and seemingly no-one wants to talk about evidence that goes against the grain.

Sweden : Covid-19 on 21:50 - Aug 7 with 6007 viewsStokieBlue

Sweden : Covid-19 on 21:44 - Aug 7 by Trequartista

I will continue in a civil fashion, despite the mildly aggressive reply. For the death rate, yes it's sparsely populated but a higher percentage live in urban areas i believe. There are many factors skewing figures either way of course as i've already acknowledged with the way deaths are counted. It just seems to me that a lockdown and no lockdown should produce much different outcomes, but don't seem to.

Regarding the infection rates, I don't think you addressed that - is there evidence to say we are actually helping a fellow countryman? Again, you would expect to see different results with the different approaches, even taking other factors into consideration, but no, the reduction in Sweden is remarkable, and seemingly no-one wants to talk about evidence that goes against the grain.

Why do you refer to masks as muzzles?

How does wearing a mask for a few minutes make such a difference to your life?

Does it even matter if they work given it's not exactly a hardship? The bulk of recent evidence says they make a difference, especially indoors.

What you've done is select one piece of evidence that supports your view and ignored the contrary such as the heavy use of masks in Asia at the outbreak which evidence suggests did slow the spread in places like SK or the studies that have been done subsequent on droplet disapation.

Since you didn't answer the first time, why do you have such an issue wearing a mask for a few minutes indoors?

SB

Sweden : Covid-19 on 21:57 - Aug 7 with 5987 viewsDarth_Koont

Muzzle? Ridiculous.

SB

It's not about population density at that level.

The majority of Sweden is unpopulated - literally hundreds of miles of uninterrupted forest and scrubland. The 10 million people actually live in a similar distribution and density to the UK.

Geoff's right that Swedes have taken more individual responsibility. And barring a care home system that had an awful effect on the death total (to the surprise of most Swedes who had no idea that 21st century free market healthcare was quite so dysfunctional) their management of Covid-19 would have been the way to go. Still might be given the autumn and winter ahead.

As it stands the kids have been at school throughout and people have been careful. Whatever the UK has been doing, it's not worked nearly as well. You only have to compare England with Scotland.

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

Sweden : Covid-19 on 21:58 - Aug 7 with 5979 viewsTrequartista

Sweden : Covid-19 on 21:50 - Aug 7 by StokieBlue

Why do you refer to masks as muzzles?

How does wearing a mask for a few minutes make such a difference to your life?

Does it even matter if they work given it's not exactly a hardship? The bulk of recent evidence says they make a difference, especially indoors.

What you've done is select one piece of evidence that supports your view and ignored the contrary such as the heavy use of masks in Asia at the outbreak which evidence suggests did slow the spread in places like SK or the studies that have been done subsequent on droplet disapation.

Since you didn't answer the first time, why do you have such an issue wearing a mask for a few minutes indoors?

SB

I don't have an issue if it is a necessity. But why would someone want to wear one if it is not a necessity? They are uncomfortable and look awful. You seem to have jumped to a conclusion that i think we should be getting rid of masks. Read my posts more carefully, it is asking the question, not making a judgment. I've seen these figures from Sweden and i'm asking why, or what is going on, i'm not saying oh this is proof then.

Sweden : Covid-19 on 21:59 - Aug 7 with 5966 viewsClapham_Junction

Muzzle? Ridiculous.

SB

I think national population densities are a red herring. Uruguay has a relatively low density, but over half the population lives in one huge city. I suspect some kind of measurement of what % of the population live in dense cities is more relevant.

Also possibly more relevant (on the 'don't come into contact' side) is the fact that Sweden has one of the highest proportions of people living alone in the world.
Sweden : Covid-19 on 22:02 - Aug 7 with 5944 viewsTrequartista

Sweden : Covid-19 on 21:57 - Aug 7 by Darth_Koont

It's not about population density at that level.

The majority of Sweden is unpopulated - literally hundreds of miles of uninterrupted forest and scrubland. The 10 million people actually live in a similar distribution and density to the UK.

Geoff's right that Swedes have taken more individual responsibility. And barring a care home system that had an awful effect on the death total (to the surprise of most Swedes who had no idea that 21st century free market healthcare was quite so dysfunctional) their management of Covid-19 would have been the way to go. Still might be given the autumn and winter ahead.

As it stands the kids have been at school throughout and people have been careful. Whatever the UK has been doing, it's not worked nearly as well. You only have to compare England with Scotland.

Regarding the current infection rates, the UK is much lower than say Spain, France and Belgium. Are they even more carefree than us, or would you put that down to other factors?

Sweden : Covid-19 on 22:03 - Aug 7 with 5923 viewsDarth_Koont

Sweden : Covid-19 on 21:58 - Aug 7 by Trequartista

I don't have an issue if it is a necessity. But why would someone want to wear one if it is not a necessity? They are uncomfortable and look awful. You seem to have jumped to a conclusion that i think we should be getting rid of masks. Read my posts more carefully, it is asking the question, not making a judgment. I've seen these figures from Sweden and i'm asking why, or what is going on, i'm not saying oh this is proof then.

People don't wear masks in Sweden because they take more personal responsibility.

I think the masks in the UK are more to make sure people understand that this is still a serious pandemic. If you're going to be children then let's put on masks and pretend, and perhaps that'll produce results.

Sweden : Covid-19 on 22:03 - Aug 7 with 5912 viewsWeekender

Don’t use muzzle, it makes you sound like a prick
[Post edited 7 Aug 2020 22:18]

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

Sweden : Covid-19 on 22:06 - Aug 7 with 5892 viewsDarth_Koont

Sweden : Covid-19 on 22:02 - Aug 7 by Trequartista

Regarding the current infection rates, the UK is much lower than say Spain, France and Belgium. Are they even more carefree than us, or would you put that down to other factors?

Current infection rates always seem to be used to downplay the situation. They'll go up and down.

The bottomline is that 60,000+ people have died from it in the UK. And there's a significant risk of that doubling over the next autumn and winter.

You need to focus on the virus not the politics.

Sweden : Covid-19 on 22:06 - Aug 7 with 5894 viewsJ2BLUE

I wore a mask in the pharmacy earlier. It was no bother at all.

Some people really are pricks thinking they don't need to. One man in there didn't have one on. Not only it is idiotic, it's disrespectful to the staff IMO.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Sweden : Covid-19 on 22:10 - Aug 7 with 5861 viewsjeera

Sweden : Covid-19 on 22:02 - Aug 7 by Trequartista

Has it even been mentioned on this thread, as it has on countless others, that Sweden has a very high percentage of singletons living alone?

Or does that not count either?

Fact is, if Sweden had 'locked down' their death rate would be lower.

It's not hard to acknowledge that infectious diseases are encouraged by interaction.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Sweden : Covid-19 on 22:11 - Aug 7 with 5848 viewsStokieBlue

Sweden : Covid-19 on 21:59 - Aug 7 by Clapham_Junction

I think national population densities are a red herring. Uruguay has a relatively low density, but over half the population lives in one huge city. I suspect some kind of measurement of what % of the population live in dense cities is more relevant.

Also possibly more relevant (on the 'don't come into contact' side) is the fact that Sweden has one of the highest proportions of people living alone in the world.

That's a fair point although would be interesting to see the density in populated areas. Interesting fact about single living, I wasn't aware of that.

SB

Sweden : Covid-19 on 22:13 - Aug 7 with 5834 viewsStokieBlue

Sweden : Covid-19 on 21:58 - Aug 7 by Trequartista

They look awful?

Listen to yourself, who cares how they look?

The use of muzzle makes it fairly clear what the implication of your post is, you're attempting to roll it back now.

SB

Sweden : Covid-19 on 22:14 - Aug 7 with 5833 viewsWD19

Sweden : Covid-19 on 21:20 - Aug 7 by GeoffSentence

Sweden : Covid-19 on 22:14 - Aug 7 with 5818 viewsjeera

Sweden : Covid-19 on 22:11 - Aug 7 by StokieBlue

That's a fair point although would be interesting to see the density in populated areas. Interesting fact about single living, I wasn't aware of that.

SB

So it has been mentioned.

Sorry to Clapham for not bothering to read through, but glad others have picked up on it.

Sweden's rate per population is high and I don't see why anyone has tried to make out it isn't.

Sick of the absurd agenda pushing.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2020 22:15]

Sweden : Covid-19 on 22:16 - Aug 7 with 5812 viewsLibero

Sweden : Covid-19 on 22:06 - Aug 7 by J2BLUE

Some people really are pricks thinking they don't need to. One man in there didn't have one on. Not only it is idiotic, it's disrespectful to the staff IMO.

It’s a real d1ck move not to wear one, they’re there to protect other people after all, so wearing one is a clear sign you’re an ignorant selfish t0sser.

We have to wear them all day at work if customers are in the building. It can be frustrating, especially if wearing glasses, but having had covid I respect the serious ramifications of if one of our vulnerable customers was to catch the virus.

The tone of some of these posts where people are “just asking questions” about Covid or questioning the statistics, is pathetic.
So many people trying to undermine the danger we’re still in and the knife edge that the country is on. In my view that’s just a short step up from calling the whole thing a “hoax”
[Post edited 7 Aug 2020 22:18]
Sweden : Covid-19 on 22:18 - Aug 7 with 5792 viewsTrequartista

I wore one in a shop today but the staff didn't. Why are they exempt?

Sweden : Covid-19 on 22:19 - Aug 7 with 5786 viewsjeera

I forgot to take one out with me today.

So, I went to go into the butchers and noticed they have a sign on the door requesting face coverings.

So I popped next door, grabbed a mask from the basket there and took it from the pack, put the thing on and paid for it at the till.

I then went to the butchers wearing it. Not difficult is it?

I didn't argue, I didn't try to quote Sweden or bang on about Japan. I just did as they asked.

Fecking whiny people who can't do a simple thing without making a fuss.

Sweden : Covid-19 on 22:21 - Aug 7 with 5771 viewsjeera

Sweden : Covid-19 on 22:18 - Aug 7 by Trequartista

Because they are stuck there all day and are exposed to a lot of people.

This is really, really simple.

Don't go into any shops mate. There you go.

Sweden : Covid-19 on 22:21 - Aug 7 with 5764 viewsStokieBlue

Sweden : Covid-19 on 22:18 - Aug 7 by Trequartista

Because they have to be in there all day and if everyone else wears one then it's less risky for them not to wear one.

However, in many shops staff still choose to wear one.

Hopefully you didn't look too awful wearing it.

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024