Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ 22:24 - Aug 7 with 10317 viewsWD19

Seriously. Bloke has learnt nothing. Total fraud.

Somebody wake me up when we have a manager who says...

‘We have have one of the largest squads in the division, that I have built over several transfer windows. The buck stops with me to blend them as a team and get the club moving forward. Obviously if the chance to improve the squad comes along we should take it, but ultimately it is about me doing my job. If I do that we will go well.’
‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 17:47 - Aug 8 with 3541 viewsBrixtonBlue

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 17:33 - Aug 8 by Herbivore

Pretty sure Jewell more or less said he was sh!t towards the end of his time here. Thank god we appointed a competent manager to clear up the mess he made.

Hahaha, of course he didn't. No manager in the history of the game has ever admitted to being sh!t.

You're normally a more sensible poster than this.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 17:49 - Aug 8 with 3531 viewsHerbivore

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 17:37 - Aug 8 by WD19

That’s not what he said though, is it.....

He this particular football coach said was “we *have* to get somebody in *because* last season wasn’t good enough.“

I’m not expecting self flagellation.....but I am bored rigid of the attempts at blame shifting.

I recall a particular press conference earlier in the season when he got tetchy about being questioned and threw all of Hurst's signings under the bus, whilst relying o a few of them to be first team players for him still. Unreal.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 17:51 - Aug 8 with 3528 viewsBrixtonBlue

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 17:37 - Aug 8 by WD19

That’s not what he said though, is it.....

He this particular football coach said was “we *have* to get somebody in *because* last season wasn’t good enough.“

I’m not expecting self flagellation.....but I am bored rigid of the attempts at blame shifting.

It is what he said.

“We have to learn from last season. We all do,” Lambert told the club website.
“I have looked at myself and what I could have changed. I always do that."

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/lambert-on-ipswich-finishing-11th-1-6759345

Seriously, you're not going to get a more damning assessment of yourself than that, from anyone in any job. It would be career suicide.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2020 17:54]

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 11:14 - Aug 9 with 3441 viewsBlueBadger

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 17:33 - Aug 8 by Herbivore

Pretty sure Jewell more or less said he was sh!t towards the end of his time here. Thank god we appointed a competent manager to clear up the mess he made.

Jewell tried to resign two or three times before Evans finally put him out of our misery as I recall.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2020 23:05]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 11:24 - Aug 9 with 3412 viewsHerbivore

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 11:14 - Aug 9 by BlueBadger

Jewell tried to resign two or three times before Evans finally put him out of our misery as I recall.

He did. He was quite vocal about the fact it wasn't working.

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 11:39 - Aug 9 with 3398 viewsBrixtonBlue

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 11:24 - Aug 9 by Herbivore

He did. He was quite vocal about the fact it wasn't working.

So basically what you're really saying is you want Lambert to offer his resignation, because other than that NOBODY admits things aren't working (and they certainly don't admit to being sh!t at their job)?

So why, with a still relatively fresh 5 year contract, would Lambert resign and just give up all that money, whilst also showing zero fight or desire to prove people wrong?

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 11:41 - Aug 9 with 3388 viewsNthsuffolkblue

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 11:14 - Aug 9 by BlueBadger

Interesting typo there!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 11:43 - Aug 9 with 3383 viewsBrixtonBlue

We're talking an entirely different scenario here. Herbs wants Lambert to admit to being sh!t not long after signing a 5 year contract.

Login to get fewer ads

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 11:44 - Aug 9 with 3376 viewsNthsuffolkblue

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 17:14 - Aug 8 by BrixtonBlue

The club WAS a mess and the players weren't good enough when he came in, though.

And which manager has EVER admitted getting things wrong (let alone declaring they're a bit sh!t at this management lark)?!

That's a fair point.

However, would it not be reasonable for Lambert to say "this squad had us top of the league for half the season last time around. We need to get the best out of it and last the course this time around. Of course we need to replace the influential player who has gone too."?

It is worrying that he seems to think more is the answer when we need to get the right blend from what we have.

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 11:45 - Aug 9 with 3372 viewspointofblue

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 11:39 - Aug 9 by BrixtonBlue

So basically what you're really saying is you want Lambert to offer his resignation, because other than that NOBODY admits things aren't working (and they certainly don't admit to being sh!t at their job)?

So why, with a still relatively fresh 5 year contract, would Lambert resign and just give up all that money, whilst also showing zero fight or desire to prove people wrong?

Or he could just pass comment as per the OP - that he needs to learn from last year and our success, or lack of, next year will be down to him getting it to work.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 11:49 - Aug 9 with 3362 viewsLankHenners

He makes excuses like someone's chucked him a live grenade. He wouldn't shut up about us potentially having to play 1000 games at the start of last season, then said we were finding it tough because every team raised their game against us, then it was back to having too many cup games, then when we got dumped out of them it was we found it difficult to play at home (having already said playing in front of a home crowd gives us a boost), then when we were losing away as well it was about handling the pressure(?). This was compounded by the just-as-regular 'we're playing well and have enough to get promoted', despite visual evidence to the contrary.

People blew a gasket when Berra said 'we're Ipswich not Barcelona' but at least that was in the context of being in a division where everyone around us was spending far more than we were which made it harder to keep on being competitive. Now we're a big fish in League 1 and the club management mopes around shuffling its feet and shrugging its shoulders whilst pointing the finger at anyone but themselves.

In any walk of life if you're not willing to take some responsibility and do a bit of self-inspection you won't get anywhere. Let's hope for all our sakes the 'two bad months' line the club is spinning at the moment is just a face-saving exercise otherwise there's no point even turning up next season.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 11:53 - Aug 9 with 3343 viewsNthsuffolkblue

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 11:45 - Aug 9 by pointofblue

Or he could just pass comment as per the OP - that he needs to learn from last year and our success, or lack of, next year will be down to him getting it to work.

Depends who he wants to put the pressure on really doesn't it?

A good manager is comfortable putting the pressure on himself and wise about how much pressure to put on which players and when.

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 11:58 - Aug 9 with 3327 viewsHerbivore

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 11:39 - Aug 9 by BrixtonBlue

A sense of decency maybe?

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 11:58 - Aug 9 with 3325 viewsBrixtonBlue

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 11:44 - Aug 9 by Nthsuffolkblue

That's a fair point.

However, would it not be reasonable for Lambert to say "this squad had us top of the league for half the season last time around. We need to get the best out of it and last the course this time around. Of course we need to replace the influential player who has gone too."?

It is worrying that he seems to think more is the answer when we need to get the right blend from what we have.

I think he should just say what he believes.

This happens with every manager we have - no-one's too bothered about their comments when things are going well, as soon as they're not going so well people nitpick at their comments and look for something they can get angry about.

Maybe we DO need another striker.

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 12:00 - Aug 9 with 3310 viewsHerbivore

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 11:58 - Aug 9 by BrixtonBlue

I think he should just say what he believes.

This happens with every manager we have - no-one's too bothered about their comments when things are going well, as soon as they're not going so well people nitpick at their comments and look for something they can get angry about.

Maybe we DO need another striker.

We need a new manager more.

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 12:00 - Aug 9 with 3309 viewsBrixtonBlue

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 11:58 - Aug 9 by Herbivore

A sense of decency maybe?

Would you resign and walk away from 5 year's worth of (very good) pay and just give up?

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 12:02 - Aug 9 with 3305 viewsBrixtonBlue

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 11:45 - Aug 9 by pointofblue

He's already said, “I have looked at myself and what I could have changed. I always do that."

You're not really going to get much more than that from any manager.

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 12:03 - Aug 9 with 3295 viewsHerbivore

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 12:00 - Aug 9 by BrixtonBlue

Would you resign and walk away from 5 year's worth of (very good) pay and just give up?

If I was sh!t at my job and already had money in the bank from a career in professional football then yeah, I think I would. I wouldn't want to do something I was clearly useless at.

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 12:05 - Aug 9 with 3278 viewsBrixtonBlue

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 11:49 - Aug 9 by LankHenners

He makes excuses like someone's chucked him a live grenade. He wouldn't shut up about us potentially having to play 1000 games at the start of last season, then said we were finding it tough because every team raised their game against us, then it was back to having too many cup games, then when we got dumped out of them it was we found it difficult to play at home (having already said playing in front of a home crowd gives us a boost), then when we were losing away as well it was about handling the pressure(?). This was compounded by the just-as-regular 'we're playing well and have enough to get promoted', despite visual evidence to the contrary.

People blew a gasket when Berra said 'we're Ipswich not Barcelona' but at least that was in the context of being in a division where everyone around us was spending far more than we were which made it harder to keep on being competitive. Now we're a big fish in League 1 and the club management mopes around shuffling its feet and shrugging its shoulders whilst pointing the finger at anyone but themselves.

In any walk of life if you're not willing to take some responsibility and do a bit of self-inspection you won't get anywhere. Let's hope for all our sakes the 'two bad months' line the club is spinning at the moment is just a face-saving exercise otherwise there's no point even turning up next season.

Of course it's a face saving exercise. As I keep saying, no-one, in any job, comes out and says they are sh!t at it.

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 12:07 - Aug 9 with 3267 viewsBrixtonBlue

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 12:03 - Aug 9 by Herbivore

If I was sh!t at my job and already had money in the bank from a career in professional football then yeah, I think I would. I wouldn't want to do something I was clearly useless at.

I'm done here. You've taken leave of your senses.

Have a good day.

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 12:09 - Aug 9 with 3252 viewsHerbivore

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 12:07 - Aug 9 by BrixtonBlue

I'm done here. You've taken leave of your senses.

Have a good day.

You asked a question and I've answered it honestly. I'm not sure what the problem is here.

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 12:13 - Aug 9 with 3246 viewsLankHenners

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 12:05 - Aug 9 by BrixtonBlue

Of course it's a face saving exercise. As I keep saying, no-one, in any job, comes out and says they are sh!t at it.

No-one expects him to come out and literally say the words "I am sh!t at my job", people just, understandably, want a little bit more self-accountability.

He don't need to be incredibly self-critical in public, but it's not much to ask for a bit more than an underselling of the problems coupled with some vague posturing on 'learning from them'.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 12:17 - Aug 9 with 3228 viewsParky

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 17:28 - Aug 8 by BrixtonBlue

Well he obviously did try... but you seem to forget Hurst flogged all our best players and left us well a drift at the foot of the table with a load of carp ones. We were arguably in a worse state than when Mick took over.

This is not to defend Lambert as such... he still hasn't done a very good job. But let's be honest about what he inherited.

Again, I'll ask you, which other manager has admitted to being sh!t at his job? He's said he's reflected and some things will change. I'm not sure you can expect much more than that, and I certainly don't remember any other manager saying more than that.

I get your anger. We're all angry about where we are. But don't let it get in the way of reason and logic!

Now I might be wrong as I want to try and forget as much from that season as possible, but I’m sure when Lambert took over we were about 5 points adrift with about half the season left.

It still baffles me to this day, how Lambert got away with the way we went down without even the slightest of fights. - I honestly believe with a better appointment, we would’ve stayed up; or very minimum showed some fight.

Completely agree regarding your point that a manager isn’t going to come and admit he’s sh!t, but his excuses and repetitiveness every single presser is so tedious.

I just can’t see us going anywhere but backwards with him in charge, a big amount of fans have lost faith in him already, he doesn’t seem able to get the best out of anyone. People will disagree with this, but the likes of Norwood, Jackson, Judge, Nolan should all be up there with the best players in this division with the right manager.
‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 12:29 - Aug 9 with 3194 viewsHerbivore

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 12:17 - Aug 9 by Parky

Now I might be wrong as I want to try and forget as much from that season as possible, but I’m sure when Lambert took over we were about 5 points adrift with about half the season left.

It still baffles me to this day, how Lambert got away with the way we went down without even the slightest of fights. - I honestly believe with a better appointment, we would’ve stayed up; or very minimum showed some fight.

Completely agree regarding your point that a manager isn’t going to come and admit he’s sh!t, but his excuses and repetitiveness every single presser is so tedious.

I just can’t see us going anywhere but backwards with him in charge, a big amount of fans have lost faith in him already, he doesn’t seem able to get the best out of anyone. People will disagree with this, but the likes of Norwood, Jackson, Judge, Nolan should all be up there with the best players in this division with the right manager.

Lambert actually had three quarters of the season, 31 games. We managed 22 points from those games and were still even worse than a shambolic Bolton side during that time. He really did a very poor job that season. This season just gone was even worse for me.

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 12:38 - Aug 9 with 3178 viewsParky

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 12:29 - Aug 9 by Herbivore

Lambert actually had three quarters of the season, 31 games. We managed 22 points from those games and were still even worse than a shambolic Bolton side during that time. He really did a very poor job that season. This season just gone was even worse for me.

Thank you (I guess) for adding to my point. As mentioned above, it absolutely baffles me how there wasn’t red flags at that point. I don’t buy the “he inherited a shambles, so we were already a drowned ship” as he knew what he was signing up for and again as previously stated, I believe a better manager would have got more out of the team, you normally see new managers get a reaction and buzz.

Take on board about this season, it really was bad. We had absolutely nothing about us whatsoever, if I was an opposing player, I’d absolutely love playing against us.

Apart from relying on the youngsters and a miracle, I really can’t see much improvement this coming season and it’s very unlike me not to be positive. The little things about Lambert make me question him even more; I.e when we’re chasing games and he makes subs in the 86th minute. Sticking with Norris over Holy when Holy did absolutely nothing wrong in the first place all combined with the fact he’s just tactically inept. Roll on the new season hey
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024