Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ 22:24 - Aug 7 with 10301 viewsWD19

Seriously. Bloke has learnt nothing. Total fraud.

Somebody wake me up when we have a manager who says...

‘We have have one of the largest squads in the division, that I have built over several transfer windows. The buck stops with me to blend them as a team and get the club moving forward. Obviously if the chance to improve the squad comes along we should take it, but ultimately it is about me doing my job. If I do that we will go well.’
‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 23:37 - Aug 7 with 5721 viewspatrickswell

I read it as a tactical way of saying, “Jesus, Paul Hurst signed a load of crap, didn’t he? And these players who’ve been injured for 3 or 4 years, well, I’m getting sick of them.”
‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 00:17 - Aug 8 with 5674 viewsParamedic

Yes I agree with him. Get somebody in who knows how to get the best out of this squad please, because sorry Paul you’ve proven it’s not you.

AllalallalSunderland

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 01:17 - Aug 8 with 5625 viewsdominiciawful

He seems to be a bit of a deluded wánker.

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 02:33 - Aug 8 with 5577 viewswkj

I still worry about ME's ability to select a manager to replace him. It is clear ME expects the squad manager to perform many more tasks than the traditional firs team coach, something Hurst took totally for granted and Mick managed to do relatively well.

Not saying the OP is wrong, I agree fully with the OP, but the way forward concerns me greatly without PL.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 02:59 - Aug 8 with 5548 viewsBlueBadger

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 23:37 - Aug 7 by patrickswell

I read it as a tactical way of saying, “Jesus, Paul Hurst signed a load of crap, didn’t he? And these players who’ve been injured for 3 or 4 years, well, I’m getting sick of them.”

And also 'I cannot believe that I am still getting away with being this sh1t at my job'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 05:59 - Aug 8 with 5472 viewsChrisd

Let’s be honest, whatever he says he’s going to get scrutinised with his comments turned into negative spin. The best way to see if he’s changed is when the games start and see how he manages those. However, with what he’s said he’s right, he does need some players in to improve us in certain areas. The majority of us would agree with that statement and certainly some (me included) have posted exactly the same thing on this forum recently.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 06:05 - Aug 8 with 5468 viewsbournemouthblue

We did get it wrong last season

We may have had a big squad and on paper it was good at League One Level but for me it lacked balance

We didn't have a physical enough spine to mix it with teams when simply passing the ball wasn't the answer

Look at Rotherham, they had a far more physical spine of players who could win headers and make a nuisance of themselves

I'm not saying our plan A was ever quite good enough but we never had a number 9 who could get amongst it and hassle opposition defenders.

At the end of season, we were suddenly relying on a youth prospect to do this which just isn't the answer, even if he does end up becoming a useful player.

Earlier in the season, we barely conceded any goals and yet I kept looking at our back four and wondering how. We were clearly very reliant on KVY being brilliant. Once he was gone, that bit of extra quality vanished and we never really recovered.

We need more options and a bit more quality to overload teams next season I'd suggest but a bit more physicality and dominance in the air would see a lot more goals coming from set pieces which also seemed to be missing despite Garbutt's excellent delivery.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2020 6:10]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 06:21 - Aug 8 with 5438 viewsChrisd

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 06:05 - Aug 8 by bournemouthblue

We may have had a big squad and on paper it was good at League One Level but for me it lacked balance

We didn't have a physical enough spine to mix it with teams when simply passing the ball wasn't the answer

Look at Rotherham, they had a far more physical spine of players who could win headers and make a nuisance of themselves

I'm not saying our plan A was ever quite good enough but we never had a number 9 who could get amongst it and hassle opposition defenders.

At the end of season, we were suddenly relying on a youth prospect to do this which just isn't the answer, even if he does end up becoming a useful player.

Earlier in the season, we barely conceded any goals and yet I kept looking at our back four and wondering how. We were clearly very reliant on KVY being brilliant. Once he was gone, that bit of extra quality vanished and we never really recovered.

We need more options and a bit more quality to overload teams next season I'd suggest but a bit more physicality and dominance in the air would see a lot more goals coming from set pieces which also seemed to be missing despite Garbutt's excellent delivery.

Some good points raised here Bournemouthblue.

Login to get fewer ads

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 08:16 - Aug 8 with 5342 viewsArnieM

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 23:37 - Aug 7 by patrickswell

Spot on !

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 08:32 - Aug 8 with 5307 viewsHerbivore

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 06:05 - Aug 8 by bournemouthblue

Lambert has had three transfer windows to bring in more of a physical presence up front and instead he's signed an unfit Will Keane twice. He needs to take responsibility for that.

There's also more than one way to skin a cat, even in this league. Coventry and Oxford both finished top 6 without being especially physical. Both played better football than us. As did Doncaster who ultimately finished above us. If you don't have a physical presence up front then you find a different way to play. Lambert was incapable of doing that. Neat triangles deep in midfield before launching it forward far too often seemed to be the game plan, if there was one at all (you give Lambert too much credit suggesting we had a Plan A).

There was more than enough talent in that squad to get us playing effectively and to get us into the top 6 at least even without the physical presence Lambert failed to sign. Even the defence that you lament withiht KVY was plenty solid enough over the season. Our issue was being unable to create or score through a lack of any cohesive system or way of playing. After our good start to the season we scored 25 goals in 25 games, that's not nearly good enough.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 09:20 - Aug 8 with 5251 viewsWD19

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 05:59 - Aug 8 by Chrisd

Let’s be honest, whatever he says he’s going to get scrutinised with his comments turned into negative spin. The best way to see if he’s changed is when the games start and see how he manages those. However, with what he’s said he’s right, he does need some players in to improve us in certain areas. The majority of us would agree with that statement and certainly some (me included) have posted exactly the same thing on this forum recently.

One of the biggest issues I have with it is that every fibre of his being is hard wired to try and make it look like nothing is his fault. To get his excuses in early. He has been doing it by default for so long I am not sure he even knows he is doing it anymore.

Just take some responsibility.
‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 09:26 - Aug 8 with 5229 viewsHerbivore

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 09:20 - Aug 8 by WD19

One of the biggest issues I have with it is that every fibre of his being is hard wired to try and make it look like nothing is his fault. To get his excuses in early. He has been doing it by default for so long I am not sure he even knows he is doing it anymore.

Yep. From more or less day 1 in the role it feels like Lambert has been on a blame deflection mission. It's always been about the club being a mess, the players not being good enough. At no point has he looked at what he's doing and said "you know what, lads, maybe I'm just a bit sh!t at this management lark?". You'd think after multiple recent failures the penny might have dropped.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2020 9:45]

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 09:35 - Aug 8 with 5211 viewsDubtractor

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 09:20 - Aug 8 by WD19

Yep. I don't care who you are or what you do, if you won't ever take any personal responsibility for things that you do then you can do one.

That he has failed so badly and STILL takes no responsibility is breathtaking.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 09:41 - Aug 8 with 5199 viewsWD19

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 09:35 - Aug 8 by Dubtractor

Yep. I don't care who you are or what you do, if you won't ever take any personal responsibility for things that you do then you can do one.

That he has failed so badly and STILL takes no responsibility is breathtaking.

It has taken me aback just how much it has angered me to be honest.....and how angry I still am the next day. Its like the worst arrogance of Keane wrapped in with the senile incompetence of Jewell....whilst demonstrating the man management capability of Hurst/Doig.....whilst also clearly putting time and effort into thinking about how he can mug off the fans.

.....and being allowed to get away with it!

“NURSE!!!!!!”
‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 10:30 - Aug 8 with 5140 viewsChrisd

That's why we need to see what happens with the first few games to the new season, see if PL does take responsibility and has indeed learnt from his mistakes. There's no place for him to run now, he was extremely fortunate when lockdown began because the end of his managerial reign at the club seemed imminent. If we all see improvements and he's made changes (not too many) to the formation and tactics we can then accept he's taken responsibility and has addressed his own errors.

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 10:42 - Aug 8 with 5117 viewsWD19

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 10:30 - Aug 8 by Chrisd

That's why we need to see what happens with the first few games to the new season, see if PL does take responsibility and has indeed learnt from his mistakes. There's no place for him to run now, he was extremely fortunate when lockdown began because the end of his managerial reign at the club seemed imminent. If we all see improvements and he's made changes (not too many) to the formation and tactics we can then accept he's taken responsibility and has addressed his own errors.

I get where you are coming from, but essentially the root of this thread was Lambert going out of his way to signpost that he has learnt nothing. Why would he do that?
[Post edited 8 Aug 2020 11:56]
‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 13:27 - Aug 8 with 4996 viewsDennyx4

I do think we need a bit of a refresh of players - not going to happen, as unable to unload players that are not good enough and on big wages for this level.

A freshness may help to remove the defeatest attitude that seems be a habit at present. The youngsters may have to be that option.
‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 14:08 - Aug 8 with 4909 viewsArnieM

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 09:26 - Aug 8 by Herbivore

Yep. From more or less day 1 in the role it feels like Lambert has been on a blame deflection mission. It's always been about the club being a mess, the players not being good enough. At no point has he looked at what he's doing and said "you know what, lads, maybe I'm just a bit sh!t at this management lark?". You'd think after multiple recent failures the penny might have dropped.

Has he not said in a recent interview though , that “he had reflected on some of his decisions, and that changes would be made” . I’m sure I read that somewhere. I have been looking to see if he’d take responsibility for his cock ups, and when I read that I thought, ah, ok so you acknowledge you made mistakes and hopefully you’ll stop doing what you did , which so clearly undone us.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 17:14 - Aug 8 with 4813 viewsBrixtonBlue

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 09:26 - Aug 8 by Herbivore

The club WAS a mess and the players weren't good enough when he came in, though.

And which manager has EVER admitted getting things wrong (let alone declaring they're a bit sh!t at this management lark)?!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 17:19 - Aug 8 with 4795 viewsHerbivore

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 17:14 - Aug 8 by BrixtonBlue

The club WAS a mess and the players weren't good enough when he came in, though.

And which manager has EVER admitted getting things wrong (let alone declaring they're a bit sh!t at this management lark)?!

But his job is to actually try to do something with the hand he's dealt rather than just tell everyone how awful the club is and how poor the players are. Mick also inherited a mess but he knuckled down and got us out of it.

Getting the excuses in early meant people gave him a pass for that season but his record as he took us down was woeful. We didn't even put up a fight.

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 17:21 - Aug 8 with 4792 viewsBrixtonBlue

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 14:08 - Aug 8 by ArnieM

Has he not said in a recent interview though , that “he had reflected on some of his decisions, and that changes would be made” . I’m sure I read that somewhere. I have been looking to see if he’d take responsibility for his cock ups, and when I read that I thought, ah, ok so you acknowledge you made mistakes and hopefully you’ll stop doing what you did , which so clearly undone us.

Indeed he has, but the people in this thread saying he hasn't taken any responsibility don't want to see that. Facts get in the way of their anger.

In all seriousness, what more would you expect a manager to say than that? Who else here has publicly declared they're sh!t at their job when things have gone wrong?

Talking about reflecting and making some changes is perfectly acceptable and normal.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 17:24 - Aug 8 with 4778 viewsTieDyedIn95

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 02:33 - Aug 8 by wkj

I still worry about ME's ability to select a manager to replace him. It is clear ME expects the squad manager to perform many more tasks than the traditional firs team coach, something Hurst took totally for granted and Mick managed to do relatively well.

Not saying the OP is wrong, I agree fully with the OP, but the way forward concerns me greatly without PL.

I think he will hire Dyer and much like with Hurst when it fails he will pass the buck onto us by saying thats what we wanted.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 17:28 - Aug 8 with 4773 viewsBrixtonBlue

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 17:19 - Aug 8 by Herbivore

But his job is to actually try to do something with the hand he's dealt rather than just tell everyone how awful the club is and how poor the players are. Mick also inherited a mess but he knuckled down and got us out of it.

Getting the excuses in early meant people gave him a pass for that season but his record as he took us down was woeful. We didn't even put up a fight.

Well he obviously did try... but you seem to forget Hurst flogged all our best players and left us well a drift at the foot of the table with a load of carp ones. We were arguably in a worse state than when Mick took over.

This is not to defend Lambert as such... he still hasn't done a very good job. But let's be honest about what he inherited.

Again, I'll ask you, which other manager has admitted to being sh!t at his job? He's said he's reflected and some things will change. I'm not sure you can expect much more than that, and I certainly don't remember any other manager saying more than that.

I get your anger. We're all angry about where we are. But don't let it get in the way of reason and logic!

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 17:33 - Aug 8 with 4753 viewsHerbivore

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 17:28 - Aug 8 by BrixtonBlue

Well he obviously did try... but you seem to forget Hurst flogged all our best players and left us well a drift at the foot of the table with a load of carp ones. We were arguably in a worse state than when Mick took over.

This is not to defend Lambert as such... he still hasn't done a very good job. But let's be honest about what he inherited.

Again, I'll ask you, which other manager has admitted to being sh!t at his job? He's said he's reflected and some things will change. I'm not sure you can expect much more than that, and I certainly don't remember any other manager saying more than that.

I get your anger. We're all angry about where we are. But don't let it get in the way of reason and logic!

Pretty sure Jewell more or less said he was sh!t towards the end of his time here. Thank god we appointed a competent manager to clear up the mess he made.

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 17:37 - Aug 8 with 4739 viewsWD19

‘We have to get somebody in because last season wasn’t good enough’ on 17:21 - Aug 8 by BrixtonBlue

Indeed he has, but the people in this thread saying he hasn't taken any responsibility don't want to see that. Facts get in the way of their anger.

In all seriousness, what more would you expect a manager to say than that? Who else here has publicly declared they're sh!t at their job when things have gone wrong?

Talking about reflecting and making some changes is perfectly acceptable and normal.

That’s not what he said though, is it.....

He this particular football coach said was “we *have* to get somebody in *because* last season wasn’t good enough.“

I’m not expecting self flagellation.....but I am bored rigid of the attempts at blame shifting.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024