Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The scale of last season's collapse 08:39 - Aug 8 with 3735 viewsHerbivore

Just looking back at our form last season after our fast start and the enormity of our collapse is staggering. We took 27 points from the first 11 games and then only 25 points from our next 25 games, which is relegation form. If the season had started the day after the Fleetwood game and ended when it did we'd have only stayed up on goal difference on a PPG basis. That's why this "bad couple of months" narrative is both palpably false and very dangerous if we want to learn from what went wrong.

Doing some number crunching, after our strong start we only needed to average 1.48 PPG over our remaining 25 games to go up automatically and only 1.4 PPG to make the play offs. Over a season that would usually see you being around 9th to 13th in the league. Basically all we needed was to be a bang average League 1 side for 25 games and we'd have gone up or made the play offs. That Lambert couldn't even reach that modest goal shows the scale of his abject failure last season. How he's still in a job I have no idea. The guy is hopeless. He's Hurst level useless.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The scale of last season's collapse on 19:38 - Aug 8 with 365 viewsjayessess

The scale of last season's collapse on 14:58 - Aug 8 by BlueBadger

I'd agree with all that, apart from the bit about Hurst's failure being down to the senior pros. By all accounts he went out of his way to antagonise them, purely because he clearly felt threatened by them.

I don't think it was down to the senior pros per se, just that it's a potentially difficult situation to come into, particularly if you don't pick up early wins.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

The scale of last season's collapse on 19:41 - Aug 8 with 354 viewsBlueBadger

The scale of last season's collapse on 19:38 - Aug 8 by jayessess

I don't think it was down to the senior pros per se, just that it's a potentially difficult situation to come into, particularly if you don't pick up early wins.

In all fairness, they'd probably worked out he was a clueless bully by that point.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024