Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Grizzle bloke 15:39 - Aug 8 with 29730 viewsbluelagos

So - If - as reported France ends up on the list of quarantine countries and off the FCO list of places to go to....what are the implications for travel?

Can you still travel - but at your own risk?
Presume UK travel insurances wouldn't cover any claims?
Would the EU health card thing (for emergency treatment) still cover you?
Would car/motorbike insurance be valid?
14 days q. on arrival back home if fairly self explanatory.

Have a trip booked where we are transiting France only*...so not worried about the CV risk itself as are flexible and can easily avoid areas with high outbreaks.

(*If we headed to Belgium - it could literally be for 30 minutes... - if Belgium were not also on the list too)

**I fully accept 99% if people wouldn't consider this. Which is fine - good luck to you. Don't need a lecture, just wanting to understand the implications so we can make an informed decision on what is the best thing to do.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Grizzle bloke on 15:45 - Aug 8 with 6892 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I can answer the first 2:

- yes you can still travel, assuming France haven’t implemented any restrictions themselves
- travel insurance won’t cover you if you’re travelling against FCO advice

Not certain on the EHIC (I assume it does though) and no idea re bike insurance

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Grizzle bloke on 15:46 - Aug 8 with 6880 viewsBlueBadger

I've accepted I'm probably not going anywhere outside the UK this year. Mrs Badger is heading out to Portugal to see her parents in September and is currently WFH and so able to quarantine and work. I simply can't afford a week's unpaid and I really don't fancy causing a considerable amount of service disruption to try and accommodate shifts around a two-week layoff after a short trip.

TBH, being IN another country doesn't worry me, pretty much everywhere bar the US and Brazil have managed Covid better than we have in the UK, it's the whole 'airport and plane' thing that I don't much fancy.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Grizzle bloke on 15:49 - Aug 8 with 6874 viewsbluelagos

Grizzle bloke on 15:46 - Aug 8 by BlueBadger

I've accepted I'm probably not going anywhere outside the UK this year. Mrs Badger is heading out to Portugal to see her parents in September and is currently WFH and so able to quarantine and work. I simply can't afford a week's unpaid and I really don't fancy causing a considerable amount of service disruption to try and accommodate shifts around a two-week layoff after a short trip.

TBH, being IN another country doesn't worry me, pretty much everywhere bar the US and Brazil have managed Covid better than we have in the UK, it's the whole 'airport and plane' thing that I don't much fancy.

We are booked on the Eurotunnel - on motorbikes - so as safe as you get from that aspect...

Grizzle bloke on 15:56 - Aug 8 with 6856 viewsBlueBadger

Grizzle bloke on 15:49 - Aug 8 by bluelagos

We are booked on the Eurotunnel - on motorbikes - so as safe as you get from that aspect...

Plan B for a while was 'fly to Malaga and sneak across the border' but that's been scuppered now - in part because of the later restrictions on Spain, partly because I'm anxious driving left-hand drive at the best of times(and Portuguese and Spanish roads scare me sh1tless - my Italian colleagues think this is rather sweet) and partly because it seems like the sort of rule-bending that could potentially get me into actual professional trouble.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2020 15:58]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Grizzle bloke on 16:01 - Aug 8 with 6842 viewsbluelagos

Grizzle bloke on 15:56 - Aug 8 by BlueBadger

Plan B for a while was 'fly to Malaga and sneak across the border' but that's been scuppered now - in part because of the later restrictions on Spain, partly because I'm anxious driving left-hand drive at the best of times(and Portuguese and Spanish roads scare me sh1tless - my Italian colleagues think this is rather sweet) and partly because it seems like the sort of rule-bending that could potentially get me into actual professional trouble.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2020 15:58]

Calais - Belgium - Germany - is our Plan B. Plan A (Spain is looking unlikely at the moment)

Grizzle bloke on 16:13 - Aug 8 with 6819 viewslinhdi

Bluelagos, I went through all this a few weeks ago (left UK while everywhere was subject to a non-essential travel a dvisory), so here's the position as I found it:

You can still travel. You may get chatted up by UK Border Force on the way out but they're friendly.
Your travel insurance will be entirely invalid for as long as the FO advice remains unchanged. You'd need to check if it is valid should the advisory change while you are away ( mine did...).
EHC still operates. Bear in mind it won't cover repatriation. Enjoy it while it lasts as it won't be valid after 31/12.
Check with your motor insurer. I'm with Direct Line and there were no problems, incl with issuing a green card.

Hope that helps. Have a great trip. Oh, and be aware of varying speed limits in France. I have picked up a fine for doing 97 in a 90 that I was sure was 110 (and car dashboard showed as 130!).

If you are going to NL, be aware they have dropped their daytime motorway speed to 100kph. Takes forever to get anywhere!
Grizzle bloke on 16:19 - Aug 8 with 6795 viewsbluelagos

Grizzle bloke on 16:13 - Aug 8 by linhdi

Bluelagos, I went through all this a few weeks ago (left UK while everywhere was subject to a non-essential travel a dvisory), so here's the position as I found it:

You can still travel. You may get chatted up by UK Border Force on the way out but they're friendly.
Your travel insurance will be entirely invalid for as long as the FO advice remains unchanged. You'd need to check if it is valid should the advisory change while you are away ( mine did...).
EHC still operates. Bear in mind it won't cover repatriation. Enjoy it while it lasts as it won't be valid after 31/12.
Check with your motor insurer. I'm with Direct Line and there were no problems, incl with issuing a green card.

Hope that helps. Have a great trip. Oh, and be aware of varying speed limits in France. I have picked up a fine for doing 97 in a 90 that I was sure was 110 (and car dashboard showed as 130!).

If you are going to NL, be aware they have dropped their daytime motorway speed to 100kph. Takes forever to get anywhere!

Thanks for the tips. Were the speeding tickets on the spot or fixed camera? Car or motorbike?

Was the Dutch limit signposted? Or you just expected to know? Enforced?

Grizzle bloke on 17:03 - Aug 8 with 6725 viewsLibero

Any one want to take a guess how many months it will be until general consensus finally reaches the point where people realise that we’re all best off just staying in our own countries for a bit?

I’m going to say early Feb.
Login to get fewer ads

Grizzle bloke on 17:36 - Aug 8 with 6670 views26_Paz

Good luck with it mate ... I’ve re booked my ill fated Tenerife trip for Greece ... fingers crossed!

The Paz Man

Grizzle bloke on 17:43 - Aug 8 with 6648 viewsPinewoodblue

Grizzle bloke on 15:45 - Aug 8 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I can answer the first 2:

- yes you can still travel, assuming France haven’t implemented any restrictions themselves
- travel insurance won’t cover you if you’re travelling against FCO advice

Not certain on the EHIC (I assume it does though) and no idea re bike insurance

Bit if it isn’t FO advice when you leave, But changes later and before you enter the country concerned, then your insurance is still valid.

We are heading to France on Thursday visiting friends an hour from Calais, if we have to quarantine on return so be it,
[Post edited 8 Aug 2020 17:45]

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Grizzle bloke on 17:51 - Aug 8 with 6625 views26_Paz

Grizzle bloke on 17:43 - Aug 8 by Pinewoodblue

Bit if it isn’t FO advice when you leave, But changes later and before you enter the country concerned, then your insurance is still valid.

We are heading to France on Thursday visiting friends an hour from Calais, if we have to quarantine on return so be it,

That’s what I’m thinking now about mine. Yes, it would be a massive ball ache but I’ve changed it once and not changing it again. Only thing that will stop me going is if the Greeks introduce some kind of quarantine for people arriving

The Paz Man

Grizzle bloke on 18:36 - Aug 8 with 6534 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Grizzle bloke on 17:43 - Aug 8 by Pinewoodblue

Yes sorry, my comment was based on FCO advice being in place at the time of going

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Grizzle bloke on 19:06 - Aug 8 with 6493 viewsPinewoodblue

Grizzle bloke on 17:51 - Aug 8 by 26_Paz

That’s what I’m thinking now about mine. Yes, it would be a massive ball ache but I’ve changed it once and not changing it again. Only thing that will stop me going is if the Greeks introduce some kind of quarantine for people arriving

We are just spending few days with friends, will come into contact with very few people.

Wife is in wheelchair, so we will board ferry first and use the club lounge, lift within feet of where we park on board. Club lounge rarely busy, Hav3 been only people in there on pre ious trip.

Quarantine unlikely to be much of an inconvenience as been retired 9 years.

You have to assess the risk and use your own judgement, complying with government guidelines of course.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Grizzle bloke on 19:33 - Aug 8 with 6458 viewsStokieBlue

Grizzle bloke on 17:36 - Aug 8 by 26_Paz

Good luck with it mate ... I’ve re booked my ill fated Tenerife trip for Greece ... fingers crossed!

Still taking it seriously I see.

Heaven forbid people spend a year without a foreign holiday.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Grizzle bloke on 19:50 - Aug 8 with 6424 views26_Paz

Grizzle bloke on 19:06 - Aug 8 by Pinewoodblue

We are just spending few days with friends, will come into contact with very few people.

Wife is in wheelchair, so we will board ferry first and use the club lounge, lift within feet of where we park on board. Club lounge rarely busy, Hav3 been only people in there on pre ious trip.

Quarantine unlikely to be much of an inconvenience as been retired 9 years.

You have to assess the risk and use your own judgement, complying with government guidelines of course.

Exactly mate. Place I’m going is really low corona so don’t see why not

The Paz Man

Grizzle bloke on 20:24 - Aug 8 with 6404 viewsElderGrizzly

You’ve been advised correctly while I’ve been out enjoying the sun as I had one of my first days off in 5 months! :)

Worry right now Is this mini-spike is sweeping across areas of the ‘big’ European countries.

If you’re happy with no insurance and quarantine then go for it!
Grizzle bloke on 23:53 - Aug 8 with 6275 viewsFreddies_Ears

Grizzle bloke on 16:19 - Aug 8 by bluelagos

Thanks for the tips. Were the speeding tickets on the spot or fixed camera? Car or motorbike?

Was the Dutch limit signposted? Or you just expected to know? Enforced?

Speeding ticket was a fixed camera. Issue was that signposting of speed limit was not clear. Limit had changed repeatedly for several miles, and I simply got caught. I wasn't travelling obviously quicker than other vehicles (97 in a 90 is quite borderline - 60.5mph in a 56mph limit!)

In NL, motorway limits are posted frequently. I hadn't known about the change in advance, but it's pretty obvious (though some original signs do remain in a few places).

Key message - do not rely on your car's speed limit indicator!

Oh and, heck, it was good to get away for a bit!
Grizzle bloke on 08:05 - Aug 9 with 6180 viewsGlasgowBlue

Grizzle bloke on 17:03 - Aug 8 by Libero

Any one want to take a guess how many months it will be until general consensus finally reaches the point where people realise that we’re all best off just staying in our own countries for a bit?

I’m going to say early Feb.

I was of the same mind as you but I have an 18 year old daughter who’s off to uni 500 miles away and wants one last family holiday with her twin sister, mum, dad and baby sister. So the Mrs booked us a week in Rhodes in two weeks time.

We haven’t had a Covid death for something like three weeks in Scotland and Rhodes is pretty much Covid free.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Grizzle bloke on 08:34 - Aug 9 with 6135 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Grizzle bloke on 08:05 - Aug 9 by GlasgowBlue

I was of the same mind as you but I have an 18 year old daughter who’s off to uni 500 miles away and wants one last family holiday with her twin sister, mum, dad and baby sister. So the Mrs booked us a week in Rhodes in two weeks time.

We haven’t had a Covid death for something like three weeks in Scotland and Rhodes is pretty much Covid free.

Can't think of any better use for the gifts of the money tree!

Edit...I fully accept that this is a bit mean. However do you know that if you were unfortunate enough to fall into the clutches of universal credit and have been foolish enough to have saved 14k you would receive nadda? Maybe rules should be the same across the board.
It seems that covid is going to further increase the have and have not divide.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2020 8:45]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Grizzle bloke on 08:44 - Aug 9 with 6100 viewsGlasgowBlue

Grizzle bloke on 08:34 - Aug 9 by BanksterDebtSlave

Can't think of any better use for the gifts of the money tree!

Edit...I fully accept that this is a bit mean. However do you know that if you were unfortunate enough to fall into the clutches of universal credit and have been foolish enough to have saved 14k you would receive nadda? Maybe rules should be the same across the board.
It seems that covid is going to further increase the have and have not divide.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2020 8:45]

What gifts and what money tree?

Iron Lion Zion

Grizzle bloke on 08:48 - Aug 9 with 6095 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Grizzle bloke on 08:44 - Aug 9 by GlasgowBlue

What gifts and what money tree?

Something about eating out, furlough schemes and mortgages. Some peoples savings are more protected than others...see edit...have a good and hopefully safe holiday.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Grizzle bloke on 08:55 - Aug 9 with 6079 viewsvapour_trail

You can still find insurance if you travel against FCO advice. Battleface worth a look.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Grizzle bloke on 08:55 - Aug 9 with 6074 viewsGlasgowBlue

Grizzle bloke on 08:48 - Aug 9 by BanksterDebtSlave

Something about eating out, furlough schemes and mortgages. Some peoples savings are more protected than others...see edit...have a good and hopefully safe holiday.

Not that it’s any of your business but I’m currently losing about two grand a week, which is sustainable in the short term but not in the long. That has nothing to do with my own or my wife’s personal finances.

You have no idea whether I have a mortgage or not, or whether I needed to take any break in payment so is suggest you keep you insinuations to yourself.

I will barely see my daughter over the next three years and then she’s moving stateside, so I’m sure you wouldn’t begrudge us one last family holiday.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2020 9:03]

Iron Lion Zion

Grizzle bloke on 10:24 - Aug 9 with 5981 views26_Paz

I’m going to Rhodes as well, reassuring to know it’s particularly low!

The Paz Man

Grizzle bloke on 12:01 - Aug 9 with 5929 viewsLibero

I’m assuming you’re flying there?

Which renders your last paragraph irrelevant unfortunately.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024