Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I blame the Cobbolds, Ramsey, Robson et al 11:04 - Aug 9 with 1329 viewsKeno

If they hadn't built such a very special team, played such amazing football, achieved so many amazing things and may us all believe that there is more that just participating then the crap that have to endure now would feel quite so bad and, like so many other teams, we could accept being mediocre

We are used to a teams playing above the sum total of the individual players within that team, but a bunch a well meaning journeyman we have over over the past god know how many seasons who are coached in way that makes them seem like strangers

There is a quote in the Mr John book that I wish about what I football should be but in its absence I am reminded of this

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

I blame the Cobbolds, Ramsey, Robson et al on 11:13 - Aug 9 with 1285 viewscatch74

Pathetic I know but that quote really got me. Dusty etc

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

I blame the Cobbolds, Ramsey, Robson et al on 11:20 - Aug 9 with 1267 viewsKeno

I blame the Cobbolds, Ramsey, Robson et al on 11:13 - Aug 9 by catch74

Pathetic I know but that quote really got me. Dusty etc

it always does me catchy, it always does

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

I blame the Cobbolds, Ramsey, Robson et al on 12:24 - Aug 9 with 1194 viewspatrickswell

There’s been a lot of time for football related contemplation since March. I found myself reflecting that when I started following Town in the mid-80s there were a number of clubs in the third and fourth tier who had once been used to bigger stages and bigger achievements but either through sustained drift and poor direction (Burnley, Preston, Bolton, Wolves) or sudden collapse after over-reaching (Swansea, Bristol City, Wolves again) had now fallen on hard times. Furthermore, the road back was going to be long and hard, which it was in a number of cases.

In a moment of “Are we the baddies?” awareness, it dawned on me that we are now what those clubs were in the mid-80s. We over-reached in the top flight (like Wolves on big money players and new stands) and we drifted even after the man came in who was going to bankroll us back to the big time, only to come unstuck on the sands of poor management and players, before said benefactor actively promoted the drift which had lead us to this low ebb in which the very real fear is that we will fall further.

And then the EFL carries a vote which says, “Yes, this is your new level and unlike all those other clubs you’ve mentioned which are now currently above you in the pyramid, we’re fixing it so that all of them have an advantage over you, even if you get back to their level. You’ve had your fun and good times, but your club’s been a joke for over a decade - even when it wasn’t a joke in that time, your owner sat back and encouraged the ennui back again through his inaction. Well, here’s the consequences. You stagnated. Deal with it.”
I blame the Cobbolds, Ramsey, Robson et al on 13:56 - Aug 9 with 1140 viewsFtnfwest

I’ve supported since around 1973 and whenever I get asked or a question comes on here about who my favourite player is/was I always struggle a bit to name one as there were many particularly in that era. But the one person I put down my following of football, this particular club and originally it’s ethos to play good football is sir bob. Just his personality, his wearing of his heart on his sleeve (but in a simple, not overly demonstrative way) and of course the support for his players as a fatherly figure in and out of football, which goes for his England teams as well.
Even in the following years the club, though not as successful, maintained that footballing ethos which kept those supporters in particular not from the immediate local area as part of the support base through another generation to some degree.
All this, since administration but particularly since Evans, is gone and nothing marks us out as any different from any other medium sized club these days apart from our horrendous record for the last 15+ years. So it’s us oldies who think like that and I can only salute the younger generation, especially in the last couple of years who have stuck with it. All I can say is when we finally do achieve something, hopefully a promotion of two eventually (and I am thinking pretty long term) the wait will be worth it. Unlike Chelsea or Uniteds 12th league cup or whatever.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024