Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ 06:04 - Aug 10 with 4198 viewsbobbyramsey

......who are our back-up targets? We don't appear very good at having a plan B.

Or are these just token gestures by the club in an effort to appease fans, "honest guv, we are trying, look........"
[Post edited 10 Aug 2020 6:05]
So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 06:40 - Aug 10 with 4124 viewsBlueBadger

We aren't very good at having a place B, because our manager isn't very good at having a plan A.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 08:01 - Aug 10 with 4000 viewsDubtractor

Will Keane, on a free after window closes.

He'll underperform all season, but people on here will state how he will be a great asset when fully fit. This never happens.

We'll release him at the end of the season.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 08:04 - Aug 10 with 3987 viewsbobbyramsey

So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 08:01 - Aug 10 by Dubtractor

He'll underperform all season, but people on here will state how he will be a great asset when fully fit. This never happens.

Exactly what I'm worried about.....
So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 08:07 - Aug 10 with 3978 viewscrossyitfc

Colin Quaner is available
So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 08:10 - Aug 10 with 3964 viewsJimmyJazz

Individually i'm not bothered if we don't land all 3 - Keogh already signed elsewhere - 2 more to go. In which case Plan A wasn't up to scratch anyway

I feel that Plan B will involve loans, and with the cap will possibly be the best option for many clubs

Now the cap is in place, permanent signings need to be on the money - the last thing you need is to sign someone like Graham on a decent wage, find out he's finished and be lumbered with that wage for 2 or 3 years
[Post edited 10 Aug 2020 8:21]

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 08:20 - Aug 10 with 3926 viewsKeno

Wickham, Messi, Bale

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 08:24 - Aug 10 with 3914 viewsHerbivore

Not sure we ever actually made an offer for Keough did we? I'm really not bothered that he's gone elsewhere. The other two, we'll wait and see. You would imagine that we have identified more than one target for each position. I think Dave Bowman is still at the club, although I don't know how much he's used.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 08:28 - Aug 10 with 3900 viewsitfcjoe

So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 08:24 - Aug 10 by Herbivore

Not sure we ever actually made an offer for Keough did we? I'm really not bothered that he's gone elsewhere. The other two, we'll wait and see. You would imagine that we have identified more than one target for each position. I think Dave Bowman is still at the club, although I don't know how much he's used.

We were definitely in for Keogh

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 08:31 - Aug 10 with 3898 viewsMullet

I honestly don't think we will sign many at all unless we are determined to break the rules and try to fight it. Loaning out the most inexperienced and therefore cheapest players won't create much room in the budget.

We have such a massive squad for any level, the teams snapping up 5 or 6 players are doing so so that they can start the season because turnover is so much higher lower down it seems.

We have gaps in theory but if we can promote youngsters and work with one or two in the team at a time alongside the more experienced players we might get by.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 08:37 - Aug 10 with 3882 viewstractorboy1978

So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 08:31 - Aug 10 by Mullet

I honestly don't think we will sign many at all unless we are determined to break the rules and try to fight it. Loaning out the most inexperienced and therefore cheapest players won't create much room in the budget.

We have such a massive squad for any level, the teams snapping up 5 or 6 players are doing so so that they can start the season because turnover is so much higher lower down it seems.

We have gaps in theory but if we can promote youngsters and work with one or two in the team at a time alongside the more experienced players we might get by.

Even loaning out/selling the 'most expensive' in real terms won't create much room as we only save £113k per player. I've seen people wanting Edwards and Judge to go - are we really going to sign more capable replacements with £2k a week? And we'd likely have to give them a tidy pay off to compensate for the loss in salary of moving elsewhere too as the market has now changed.

I do wonder whether this PFA challenge will prove successful. Over night you suddenly have a raft of players in their 20s that probably won't have much more of a career - Will Keane potentially being one of them.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2020 8:39]
So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 08:39 - Aug 10 with 3870 viewsHerbivore

So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 08:28 - Aug 10 by itfcjoe

We were definitely in for Keogh

Really? Jesus. Lambert out.

So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 08:41 - Aug 10 with 3865 viewsMullet

So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 08:37 - Aug 10 by tractorboy1978

Even loaning out/selling the 'most expensive' in real terms won't create much room as we only save £113k per player. I've seen people wanting Edwards and Judge to go - are we really going to sign more capable replacements with £2k a week? And we'd likely have to give them a tidy pay off to compensate for the loss in salary of moving elsewhere too as the market has now changed.

I do wonder whether this PFA challenge will prove successful. Over night you suddenly have a raft of players in their 20s that probably won't have much more of a career - Will Keane potentially being one of them.

Most players will have careers as they will be able to drop into non-league and still get paid, but they are all going to suffer if out of contract as they will have to hold their nose.

Judge sort of owes us you can argue, but likewise as with the previously mentioned Keane and Edwards, he is one of six or seven players who were badly managed here. That's possibly our biggest limiting factor.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 08:42 - Aug 10 with 3849 viewsHerbivore

So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 08:37 - Aug 10 by tractorboy1978

If you get rid of Judge and Edwards you potentially have £4k a week to spend on one good player. Our squad is huge so we don't need to replace every departure, if we clear some deadwood it frees up money for a couple of quality signings to help move us forward. Shifting the deadwood will be hard though, unless we shell out to pay up their contracts.

So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 08:45 - Aug 10 with 3830 viewsGuthrum

So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 08:31 - Aug 10 by Mullet

Even before the wage-cap, I thought we might well end up not signing anybody new at all.

We have, as you point out, a large (if, perhaps, unbalanced) squad and a reasonable crop of decent youths coming through. Combined with the financial constraints of fewer STs sold, Covid-19 preventing crowds attending, us in our second season being subject fully to L1 rules on spending and now the salary cap as well, I don't think there's a lot of leeway.

If we start unforcedly selling our better players (e.g. Downes), that just makes the squad weaker and requires more money spent on replacements.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 08:54 - Aug 10 with 3800 viewsGuthrum

So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 08:01 - Aug 10 by Dubtractor

Players who show occasional flashes of quality, just enough to make people think they're worth persevering with. See also: Judge.

The opposite to those regular, steady performers who don't inspire excitement or "make things happen", but who are in reality more useful for their consistency and avoidance of injury, as standards don't drop nearly so far as the first category on their off days.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 09:31 - Aug 10 with 3704 viewsWallingford_Boy

We'll get Garbutt.

Keogh has already joined MK.

Graham will stay oop North.

We need to trim the squad BIG TIME before worrying about incomings anyway.

RIP Sir Bobby

So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 09:32 - Aug 10 with 3701 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Keogh has gone, Graham no thank you. I like Garbutt but wouldn’t be hung up if we missed out.

Listen, if we don’t have plan B,C and D I’d be very concerned.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 10:12 - Aug 10 with 3626 viewsWickets

Plan b /c Kenlock /Nydam /Clements / Donacien (yes i know he's a right back but he has played left .) Smith / Ndaba . Simpson / Folami / Morris . !
So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 10:16 - Aug 10 with 3605 viewsSwansea_Blue

Almost a given I'd say. The reason we left the window open on Keane, Rowe and Roberts comes across as us lacking any confidence that we'll make something else happen. And we're probably safe in the knowledge that nobody else will want them (Roberts most likely of the 3 to get picked up somewhere else I expect).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 10:50 - Aug 10 with 3527 viewsitfcjoe

So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 08:42 - Aug 10 by Herbivore

If you get rid of Judge and Edwards you potentially have £4k a week to spend on one good player. Our squad is huge so we don't need to replace every departure, if we clear some deadwood it frees up money for a couple of quality signings to help move us forward. Shifting the deadwood will be hard though, unless we shell out to pay up their contracts.

But Edwards clearly isn't dead wood, Judge hopefully won't be either

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 10:52 - Aug 10 with 3523 viewsJ2BLUE

So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 10:50 - Aug 10 by itfcjoe

I forgot all about Judge. We really do have a half decent squad. Just need Lambert to learn the lessons from last season.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 10:57 - Aug 10 with 3508 viewsJ2BLUE

I think I read that for every £1 you go over you get a £3 fine so we can be completely certain we won't be going over.

I reckon we'll get a few loans in. Keeper, LB and ST. Maybe re-sign Danny Rowe.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 11:26 - Aug 10 with 3446 viewsWickets

So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 10:52 - Aug 10 by J2BLUE

I forgot all about Judge. We really do have a half decent squad. Just need Lambert to learn the lessons from last season.

We have a lot better squad than Wycolme had last season so despite all the doom and gloom ,we have a chance . As you say last seasons lessons need to be learnt .
So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 11:41 - Aug 10 with 3416 viewsHerbivore

So, if we don't land Garbutt, Keogh or Graham................ on 10:50 - Aug 10 by itfcjoe

I agree on Edwards, I was just responding to the players identified by the poster I was replying to. I think Edwards provides useful cover in a couple of positions and is our only out and out winger so useful if we want to change things up and play with wingers. My feelings on Judge are well documented and I'd describe him as deadwood and am happy to stand by that.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024