Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? 19:14 - Aug 10 with 5383 viewsDubtractor

Feels like we're in a stage of being as 'normal' as possible at the moment, waiting to see what happens next and whether we can embrace life again or go back into lockdown of some sort. A sort of limbo.

How is everyone getting on though? Get the impression on here that most people are doing OK, but I have a couple of mates who are pretty much guaranteed to be jobless once we come out of this.

I've had to really start making an effort to break out of the lockdown mentality over the last few weeks as I realised that the Summer was drifting by and I'd barely left my house and garden, so have had a few days out seeing the sights, sounds and smells of Suffolk. I know a few of my work colleagues have been really struggling with being stuck and home and not being able to do any of the things they would usually do for a distraction from the 9-5 grind of work, including the thrill of watching ITFC.

Not sure what the point of this post is really, just wondering how you're all getting on and if anyone has anything to share.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 19:26 - Aug 10 with 3673 viewsShawsey

Nice honest post. Other than the restrictions we have all gone through, nothing really changed for me. I have worked throughout and I don't know anybody who has suffered as a result of Covid-19. I know I am amongst the lucky ones. Wish all well.
How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 19:35 - Aug 10 with 3642 viewsdavblue

Its good to have something to focus on. Ive signed up to cycle 300 miles in September for cancer research. Its not loads of miles but I have a focus for the month.
How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 19:41 - Aug 10 with 3622 viewsGlasgowBlue

Baby steps. One of my places is doing ok as it is on the high street, has plenty of outdoor seating and quite low overheads. This is all well and good whilst the weather is decent but I fear for the winter if people are still reluctant to congregate inside.

The other place is on the top floor of an indoor shopping centre, has eye watering overheads and is doing half the business it was pre lockdown. If things don’t change in three months then I’m toast.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 19:42 - Aug 10 with 3613 viewsIllinoisblue

I was thinking the other day of the (personal) negatives:

Kids basketball, baseball and ‘soccer’ seasons getting canceled
Big family vacation in June getting canned (would have been 13th annual trip)
My trip to England in November getting canned
Fishing trip to Canada in September getting canned

But then, I and the wife are lucky enough to be able to work from home. We’re not in any way in a risky job. Tip of the hat and then some to healthcare, retail, transport workers who are in danger every day.

What am I saying? It’s not as bad as it could be but my god i want to go back to life as it was.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 19:43 - Aug 10 with 3588 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 19:41 - Aug 10 by GlasgowBlue

Baby steps. One of my places is doing ok as it is on the high street, has plenty of outdoor seating and quite low overheads. This is all well and good whilst the weather is decent but I fear for the winter if people are still reluctant to congregate inside.

The other place is on the top floor of an indoor shopping centre, has eye watering overheads and is doing half the business it was pre lockdown. If things don’t change in three months then I’m toast.

What is it that you do?

Are you in the restaurant trade?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 19:49 - Aug 10 with 3547 viewsGlasgowBlue

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 19:43 - Aug 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

What is it that you do?

Are you in the restaurant trade?

Yes mate I am.

Iron Lion Zion

My life pretty much revolves around.... on 19:58 - Aug 10 with 3533 viewsBloots

....football, holidays and concerts.

Having those three taken away has been difficult to be honest.

I have a good, but ultimately unfulfilling, job which has given me absolutely no solace whatsoever.

I lost my Mum last year, so my only real focus during this whole saga has been making sure my Dad gets through it relatively unscathed.

So fairly crap, if only from a mental point of view, but there are thousands in a worse position than me.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 20:00 - Aug 10 with 3519 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 19:49 - Aug 10 by GlasgowBlue

Yes mate I am.

I have a few clients in the pub / restaurant sector, and worked client-side for 6+ years.

It can be tough enough in the good times, let alone now.

Hope that things pick up for you and the public maintain confidence in eating out.

Good luck pal.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

My life pretty much revolves around.... on 20:04 - Aug 10 with 3497 viewsDubtractor

My life pretty much revolves around.... on 19:58 - Aug 10 by Bloots

....football, holidays and concerts.

Having those three taken away has been difficult to be honest.

I have a good, but ultimately unfulfilling, job which has given me absolutely no solace whatsoever.

I lost my Mum last year, so my only real focus during this whole saga has been making sure my Dad gets through it relatively unscathed.

So fairly crap, if only from a mental point of view, but there are thousands in a worse position than me.

Live music is a huge part of my life too. Summer without festivals and gigs has been a bit sh1t, but like you I can't grumble overall.

Sounds like you've had a pretty crap time overall though.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 20:05 - Aug 10 with 3488 viewsDubtractor

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 19:35 - Aug 10 by davblue

Its good to have something to focus on. Ive signed up to cycle 300 miles in September for cancer research. Its not loads of miles but I have a focus for the month.

"Its good to have something to focus on."

100% agree with that.

Ironically, compared to last year.... on 20:09 - Aug 10 with 3470 viewsBloots

My life pretty much revolves around.... on 20:04 - Aug 10 by Dubtractor

Live music is a huge part of my life too. Summer without festivals and gigs has been a bit sh1t, but like you I can't grumble overall.

Sounds like you've had a pretty crap time overall though.

....this one hasn't been too bad!

I'm a big boy, I can handle it.

x

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 22:26 - Aug 10 with 3331 viewsCoastalblue

I'm working longer hours, far harder to earn less money than I did 25 years ago, I'm not loving this covid world to say the very least.

The positives are that the amount of hard work I'm doing has seen my fitness dramatically improve and probably a stone plus been shed, and nobody I know has suffered healthwise due to this.

I just need to find a job that will actually pay my bills now.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 22:41 - Aug 10 with 3298 viewsJ2BLUE

I'm just keeping my head down, avoiding the news (getting the basic numbers from a couple of decent and balanced Twitter accounts every few days) and just hoping things are back to almost normal by Christmas. I'm just ignoring any threat of the second wave at the moment. Can't deal with the constant negativity.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 22:53 - Aug 10 with 3271 viewsDebsyAngel

Not doing well at all sadly. My health is at an all time low, worsened by the increasing anxiety and lack of support by doctors. The HRT is not working and giving me side effects that have been scary. Had blood tests last week and all normal apart from Vitamin D3 was low, so am having a vitamin for that each day.

My foot is so painful and sore and itchy and the thing is spreading. I was given a potassium foot soak thing, what a hassle - and it made it worse.

Next door are doing my nut in every day.

See my parents on my birthday and had them sit in our garden at a distance but was in bits that I could not hug them. Had my brother in law round in the garden too.

Just feel depressed that all I had to look forward to this year has gone because of this virus - gigs/football/nights out/days out/a little break away. Too scared to go far as do not want this virus.

I cannot see Christmas happening this year and that will make things even worse for me.

I try to carry on with the daily jobs/chores and the only thing to bring me joy is music - listening to tons of great stuff - new CDs and records for my birthday and various Mixcloud shows. Without music, I would be a goner.

Sorry to send such a negative view, but I am being honest.
How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 22:57 - Aug 10 with 3254 viewsMelford

This Eat Out To Help Out is certainly bringing them in. I did 62 meals on my own tonight, we're lucky normally in we do that much in the whole of Monday to Friday normally. It's gone completely mental, a lot busier than we'd normally be but then come September when the scheme finishes it may be a different story. I have a bad feeling this voucher thing to get money in for pubs is to give them a month of making a killing may be to compensate for closing us all down in November if there is a second wave.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 22:59 - Aug 10 with 3245 viewsJ2BLUE

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 22:57 - Aug 10 by Melford

This Eat Out To Help Out is certainly bringing them in. I did 62 meals on my own tonight, we're lucky normally in we do that much in the whole of Monday to Friday normally. It's gone completely mental, a lot busier than we'd normally be but then come September when the scheme finishes it may be a different story. I have a bad feeling this voucher thing to get money in for pubs is to give them a month of making a killing may be to compensate for closing us all down in November if there is a second wave.

I thought of you earlier when I stood in my kitchen for about 2 mins and the sweat was dripping off me. I hope you're finding a way to stay cool!

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 23:20 - Aug 10 with 3199 viewsPinewoodblue

Retired so no work worries.Lots of events cancelled, including a cruise at the last minute. Haven't put any diesel in the car since March. Bank balance has benefited , credit cards were in credit for three months running.

Didn't see grandchildren face to face for four months. Have gradually been moving back towards normal. First meal out last week, 4-5 days in France in a few days assuming no change in government advice before Thursday.

Weekend away in September, expecting event in Cornwall in October to be cancelled, hoping one on December will still go ahead. Weekend in Ireland in January needs a change in Irish restrictions to go ahead. Replacement cruise next March still doubtful. Speciality music cruise by company that charters cruise ship from Celebrity terms and conditions are strictly no refunds so could be pushed back to 2022. Flights to Miami likely to go ahead so will spend 10 nights in Florida.

Proceed with caution is the order of the day.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 23:43 - Aug 10 with 3185 viewsMelford

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 22:59 - Aug 10 by J2BLUE

I thought of you earlier when I stood in my kitchen for about 2 mins and the sweat was dripping off me. I hope you're finding a way to stay cool!

The kitchen I'm in at the moment isn't the hottest I've worked but it's hard going. I have to fold a napkin up and spend all day with it wedged between my ar$e cheeks, all the sweat runs down your back and it ends up with this https://www.thestaffcanteen.com/Blog/chefs-arse-problem-chef-understand#/

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 23:46 - Aug 10 with 3178 viewsSarge

Job is fine and probably never going back to the office regularly again which is great but hate everything else. Hate going to the shops, hate the thought of going on holiday, hate the fact that summer has gone and couldn’t take advantage of it, hate how there is nothing to do. The pub is more or less normal so that’s good but living every day wondering if and when everything is going to shut down again and plunge me back into misery.
How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 00:06 - Aug 11 with 3137 viewsNewcyBlue

I don’t know if I will be home for the birth of the twins.

Actually, I don’t know if I will be home in 2020 at all.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 05:06 - Aug 11 with 2995 viewsIllinoisblue

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 22:53 - Aug 10 by DebsyAngel

Not doing well at all sadly. My health is at an all time low, worsened by the increasing anxiety and lack of support by doctors. The HRT is not working and giving me side effects that have been scary. Had blood tests last week and all normal apart from Vitamin D3 was low, so am having a vitamin for that each day.

My foot is so painful and sore and itchy and the thing is spreading. I was given a potassium foot soak thing, what a hassle - and it made it worse.

Next door are doing my nut in every day.

See my parents on my birthday and had them sit in our garden at a distance but was in bits that I could not hug them. Had my brother in law round in the garden too.

Just feel depressed that all I had to look forward to this year has gone because of this virus - gigs/football/nights out/days out/a little break away. Too scared to go far as do not want this virus.

I cannot see Christmas happening this year and that will make things even worse for me.

I try to carry on with the daily jobs/chores and the only thing to bring me joy is music - listening to tons of great stuff - new CDs and records for my birthday and various Mixcloud shows. Without music, I would be a goner.

Sorry to send such a negative view, but I am being honest.

Hang in there. This too shall pass.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 05:28 - Aug 11 with 2980 viewsjeera

I had to throw away a new pint of milk the other day, despite still being in date.

Some strawberries yesterday had gone off also prematurely. This is the heat of course and not covid related. Still significant though.

And, I've been holding this one back, I found a live maggot in a punnet of raspberries last week - after I'd eaten most of them!

I swear I had a bit of white substance in between my teeth that was not connected to raspberries.

It's like the world has gone mad.

Oh, and Tesco seem to have given up bothering with customer service altogether since they've realised we need them more than they need us.

On the plus side, the local Co-op have a decent offer on cider atm.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2020 5:42]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 06:46 - Aug 11 with 2930 viewsGlasgowBlue

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 20:00 - Aug 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

I have a few clients in the pub / restaurant sector, and worked client-side for 6+ years.

It can be tough enough in the good times, let alone now.

Hope that things pick up for you and the public maintain confidence in eating out.

Good luck pal.

Thanks. Not much I can do about it, so as Lambert says “we go again”.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2020 6:46]

Iron Lion Zion

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 07:37 - Aug 11 with 2883 viewsHerbivore

I've been able to work throughout, which has been good as I don't like having nothing to do. I am finding working from home every day a bit of a grind though. Overall I can't complain really, Covid hasn't affected me or anyone close to me health wise and luckily my nearest and dearest are all still in work. Starting a new job in 2 weeks' time which will be very strange, starting from my desk at home rather than going to my new workplace and meeting colleagues. It'll be like having two starts really when things get more back to normal and people are physically back at work.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 07:43 - Aug 11 with 2871 viewsDanTheMan

Funnily enough I had just started a full time position working from home before everything kicked off. So I got a months practice in.

At first I didn't mind it so much, I'm usually busy doing things at the weekend so I quite enjoyed just being able to relax and gets things round the house and garden done. We completed re-did our garden so it's actually a nice place to relax now.

But as this has dragged on, I've missed seeing my friends and I've especially missed seeing my family. I used to make a trip down to Milton Keynes once a month to see everyone but it was literally this weekend just gone that I got to some of them. Especially missing my sister as we're pretty close, and I'm not used to not seeing her for long periods like this.

I also wish I was out in the countryside so I could enjoy the spare time I do have with walks and things but there we go. Can't have everything.

I still have a job which is more than most.

Oh and in other good news, my partner got a 1st in Forensic Psychology and just took a paycut to go and work in mental health, so proud of her for taking the plunge to pursue what she wants. Looking at doing a masters after our wedding (which probably isn't going ahead now).

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024