Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
UK - Japan trade deal has Stilton based issues 09:11 - Aug 11 with 1046 viewsStokieBlue

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/aug/11/love-of-stilton-drives-wedge-be

Surely this can't be the case? We were going to get the best trade deals:

Japan is reportedly reluctant to offer Britain better terms than it gave the EU, which has a combined population nearly seven times the size of Britain’s, in a free trade deal that went into effect early last year.

Blue cheese, whilst excellent, seems a bit of a silly thing to worry about given:

Britain exported £18m of blue cheese globally last year, the FT said, citing data from the Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board, but just £102,000 of that went to Japan.

And this is just pathetic:

Truss is reportedly hoping to point to Japanese concessions over Stilton as proof that Britain has improved on the EU’s trade deal with Japan.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

UK - Japan trade deal has Stilton based issues on 09:24 - Aug 11 with 1008 viewsDanTheMan

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

UK - Japan trade deal has Stilton based issues on 09:25 - Aug 11 with 1005 viewsbournemouthblue

I believe when we mooted a trade deal with India

They said only in exchange for freedom of movement. Whilst I'm sure some Brexiters would welcome more commonwealth nations involved with Britain

I doubt the Brexit lobby, were keen on simply a different balance of immigrants coming in

A lot of the issues supposedly caused by immigration are actually down to automation kicking in

I know some countries are considering a universal basic income to mitigate the issues caused by automation

To the right wingers over here though, they'll just view some as some kind of mad cap Marxism, bless their cotton socks

Edit: Re: Liz Truss - this seems to be the simplistic style of business understanding our politicians have

The Tory Party, the supposed party of business

Honestly you can't make it up!

[Post edited 11 Aug 2020 9:30]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

UK - Japan trade deal has Stilton based issues on 09:48 - Aug 11 with 959 viewsSteve_M

This country doesn't have a trade policy does it? There's been no proper debate, even with the cabinet, about what priorities should be, what a trade deal with any partner is attempting to achieve just a desperation to sign some bits of paper to get some positive headlines in the tame press.

That same lack of attention to detail and understanding of the UK economy is why they can be so blase about leaving the Single Market without caring about he impact on UK businesses.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

UK - Japan trade deal has Stilton based issues on 09:52 - Aug 11 with 947 viewseastangliaisblue

But, we will get good trade deals on our terms though, Boris said so.
UK - Japan trade deal has Stilton based issues on 09:52 - Aug 11 with 945 viewsOldsmoker

If that £102,000 of business is a deal breaker then Truss is just plain daft.
Stilton already has a tariff on it at the moment, so whoever buys it sees it as a delicacy and pays the price for it. The Japanese pay the tariff not the UK.
This is definitely a case of Pennywise Pound foolish.
Don't sweat the small stuff.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

UK - Japan trade deal has Stilton based issues on 10:30 - Aug 11 with 916 viewsSwansea_Blue

We go live to Liz Truss in the negotiations...

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024