Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Simon Harmer has won another match for essex 15:50 - Aug 11 with 3945 viewsSaleAway

He's so so good. Should really be playing test cricket, but its good for essex

Since signing for them, he's been ridiculously good. last year, something like 80 wickets @18s... this season he's only played 2 matches, already got 20 wickets @ 13.8

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Simon Harmer has won another match for essex on 17:10 - Aug 11 with 3849 viewsgainsboroughblue

He has been good but you have to wonder why domestic batsmen aren't performing. Is it lack of practice, the pitches? Aside from Kent yesterday, no team seems capable of making a score.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Simon Harmer has won another match for essex on 17:38 - Aug 11 with 3801 viewsCoastalblue

Probably a bit late for him now, he's over 30 isn't he? Didn't he actually play a handful of Tests a few years ago?

You're right though, it's working well for Essex, I remember his 9 for against Middlesex.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Simon Harmer has won another match for essex on 08:15 - Aug 12 with 3621 viewsSaleAway

Simon Harmer has won another match for essex on 17:38 - Aug 11 by Coastalblue

Probably a bit late for him now, he's over 30 isn't he? Didn't he actually play a handful of Tests a few years ago?

You're right though, it's working well for Essex, I remember his 9 for against Middlesex.

Yeah, he played for South africa for 5 tests, before becoming a Kolpak player.. So he's "given up" on test status. He could potentially have tried to requalify for England, but that would have required him to stay here over the winter, which he doesn't do, generally, I don't think.

Simon Harmer has won another match for essex on 08:16 - Aug 12 with 3618 viewsSaleAway

Simon Harmer has won another match for essex on 17:10 - Aug 11 by gainsboroughblue

He has been good but you have to wonder why domestic batsmen aren't performing. Is it lack of practice, the pitches? Aside from Kent yesterday, no team seems capable of making a score.

Don't think that the scores have been particularly low.... quite a few teams making the odd 300+ score, which given that no one really has any form to speak of, is not bad. Look at the tests too - nothing huge. I think it takes time for batsmen particularly to find the rhythm of batting long - and they only get that with time in the middle, which they have missed out on.

Simon Harmer has won another match for essex on 08:32 - Aug 12 with 3595 viewsitfcjoe

Simon Harmer has won another match for essex on 08:16 - Aug 12 by SaleAway

Don't think that the scores have been particularly low.... quite a few teams making the odd 300+ score, which given that no one really has any form to speak of, is not bad. Look at the tests too - nothing huge. I think it takes time for batsmen particularly to find the rhythm of batting long - and they only get that with time in the middle, which they have missed out on.

Also, make one mistake and you are out - whereas bowlers can bowl plenty iof bad balls to find their rhythm

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Simon Harmer has won another match for essex on 09:31 - Aug 12 with 3549 viewsRadlett_blue

Simon Harmer has won another match for essex on 08:15 - Aug 12 by SaleAway

Yeah, he played for South africa for 5 tests, before becoming a Kolpak player.. So he's "given up" on test status. He could potentially have tried to requalify for England, but that would have required him to stay here over the winter, which he doesn't do, generally, I don't think.

Yes he played 5 Tests for South Africa & took 20 wickets so he showed he was a Test player. Problem is South African wickets are rarely spin friendly so they often play home matches with only a part time spinner who can bat or none at all. As a fringe player, he probably worked out he'd be better off taking the Kolpak shilling & who can blame him?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Simon Harmer has won another match for essex on 09:38 - Aug 12 with 3538 viewsChrisd

The fact he’s only played 5 tests for SA is a real travesty. He’s a very talented off spin bowler.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Simon Harmer has won another match for essex on 10:06 - Aug 12 with 3510 viewsSharkey

Simon Harmer has won another match for essex on 09:38 - Aug 12 by Chrisd

The fact he’s only played 5 tests for SA is a real travesty. He’s a very talented off spin bowler.

Essex have now won 14 first-class games at Chelmsford on the trot. They have a formula, and accept that the batsmen won't get huge scores but with Harmer will probably win even if they have a first innings deficit.

I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, it's nice to see Essex back as a major force in county cricket, but personally I'd accept finishing third or fourth if it meant cricket would return to Colchester. To my mind the club is stealing from its future by only playing at Chelmsford. My nephew. for example, is very interested in sport but has no interest in Essex, which is where he's from, simply because he's never seen them.

The club says it's too expensive to use the festival grounds. One thing I wonder is why they don't make more use of volunteers. Is it because 'health and safety' rules are prohibitive? I have worked at Roskilde rock festival (which uses about 28,000 volunteers), and I think Glastonbury uses volunteers, and I'm sure there would be lots of people keen to bring first-class cricket back to East Anglia. Do any professional sports clubs use volunteers?
Login to get fewer ads

Simon Harmer has won another match for essex on 10:25 - Aug 12 with 3487 viewsgainsboroughblue

Simon Harmer has won another match for essex on 10:06 - Aug 12 by Sharkey

Essex have now won 14 first-class games at Chelmsford on the trot. They have a formula, and accept that the batsmen won't get huge scores but with Harmer will probably win even if they have a first innings deficit.

I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, it's nice to see Essex back as a major force in county cricket, but personally I'd accept finishing third or fourth if it meant cricket would return to Colchester. To my mind the club is stealing from its future by only playing at Chelmsford. My nephew. for example, is very interested in sport but has no interest in Essex, which is where he's from, simply because he's never seen them.

The club says it's too expensive to use the festival grounds. One thing I wonder is why they don't make more use of volunteers. Is it because 'health and safety' rules are prohibitive? I have worked at Roskilde rock festival (which uses about 28,000 volunteers), and I think Glastonbury uses volunteers, and I'm sure there would be lots of people keen to bring first-class cricket back to East Anglia. Do any professional sports clubs use volunteers?

Used to enjoy my annual pilgrimage to Colchester. It would be happening around now as well.

Simon Harmer has won another match for essex on 11:12 - Aug 12 with 3457 viewsvilanovablue

Also the first bowler to take 14 wickets in a match 4 times since Derek Underwood.
Simon Harmer has won another match for essex on 11:28 - Aug 12 with 3448 viewsSharkey

Simon Harmer has won another match for essex on 10:25 - Aug 12 by gainsboroughblue

Used to enjoy my annual pilgrimage to Colchester. It would be happening around now as well.

Me too. I'd see people 'from the old days'' I never otherwise see, and I really miss that.
Simon Harmer has won another match for essex on 15:45 - Aug 12 with 3396 viewsChrisd

I really enjoyed the week at Colchester, we lived just on the outskirts of the town and most summer holidays during my time at secondary school I’d go down and watch Essex for that whole week at Castle Park. Just gave you that opportunity to watch some real superstars of the game. I remember when Gloucestershire came down and a certain Courtney Walsh was bowling, seeing Jack Russell so far back behind the stumps and I just couldn’t see the ball when Walsh bowled, until Russell had caught it. Really fond memories.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Simon Harmer has won another match for essex on 16:11 - Aug 12 with 3372 viewsvilanovablue

Simon Harmer has won another match for essex on 15:45 - Aug 12 by Chrisd

I really enjoyed the week at Colchester, we lived just on the outskirts of the town and most summer holidays during my time at secondary school I’d go down and watch Essex for that whole week at Castle Park. Just gave you that opportunity to watch some real superstars of the game. I remember when Gloucestershire came down and a certain Courtney Walsh was bowling, seeing Jack Russell so far back behind the stumps and I just couldn’t see the ball when Walsh bowled, until Russell had caught it. Really fond memories.

I remember the Colchester festival from the early 80's when we lived close by the Sunday league (JPL?) was a lovely afternoon out as a teenager.
Simon Harmer has won another match for essex on 16:36 - Aug 12 with 3351 viewsgainsboroughblue

Simon Harmer has won another match for essex on 16:11 - Aug 12 by vilanovablue

I remember the Colchester festival from the early 80's when we lived close by the Sunday league (JPL?) was a lovely afternoon out as a teenager.

Good old days. When 170 odd on the board after those 40 overs was seen as a tough chase!

Simon Harmer has won another match for essex on 17:03 - Aug 12 with 3314 viewsIpswichKnight

Binning the festival grounds is one of the reasons why Essex is one of the few if not the only one of the counties not having a test ground to make money and not rely on the ECB to bail them out every year.

I used to enjoy going to the festival grounds with my parents in the holidays I used to stay at my Gran's in Ilford and pop over to Valentines park to watch sometimes as well. I remember Goochie smashing Glamorgan bowlers all around Southend once and Mark Waugh doing the same to Kent bowlers at Southend in one day games.
Simon Harmer has won another match for essex on 18:31 - Aug 12 with 3274 viewsSharkey

Simon Harmer has won another match for essex on 17:03 - Aug 12 by IpswichKnight

Binning the festival grounds is one of the reasons why Essex is one of the few if not the only one of the counties not having a test ground to make money and not rely on the ECB to bail them out every year.

I used to enjoy going to the festival grounds with my parents in the holidays I used to stay at my Gran's in Ilford and pop over to Valentines park to watch sometimes as well. I remember Goochie smashing Glamorgan bowlers all around Southend once and Mark Waugh doing the same to Kent bowlers at Southend in one day games.

This is not a criticism of your post, but a genuine question. Do Gloucestershire or Kent, for example, really get 'bailed out' by the ECB any more than Essex do? I think they're still playing at Cheltenham and Beckenham, respectively, and maybe those particular towns are so affluent that they foot the bill in a way that Colchester and Southend won't/can't.

As I say, my feeling is that Essex's policy is short-sighted, as fewer and fewer people in the county will grow up with any affection for the county team. In first-class cricket I don't think it should all be about winning - it's about taking the game to as many people as possible.

Can't help thinking too that they waited only long enough for Graeme Napier, Boxted's finest, to retire before they pulled the plug on Colchester a.s.a.p.
Simon Harmer has won another match for essex on 19:03 - Aug 12 with 3251 viewsgainsboroughblue

Simon Harmer has won another match for essex on 18:31 - Aug 12 by Sharkey

This is not a criticism of your post, but a genuine question. Do Gloucestershire or Kent, for example, really get 'bailed out' by the ECB any more than Essex do? I think they're still playing at Cheltenham and Beckenham, respectively, and maybe those particular towns are so affluent that they foot the bill in a way that Colchester and Southend won't/can't.

As I say, my feeling is that Essex's policy is short-sighted, as fewer and fewer people in the county will grow up with any affection for the county team. In first-class cricket I don't think it should all be about winning - it's about taking the game to as many people as possible.

Can't help thinking too that they waited only long enough for Graeme Napier, Boxted's finest, to retire before they pulled the plug on Colchester a.s.a.p.

Given the size of Essex and that it has borders with three non-first class counties, they really do have the potential to spread their support base far and wide. As already said, they used to play at Ilford to appeal to those nearer London, Southend on the coast and up into North Essex with Colchester. I'd have loved to have seen Essex play in Suffolk, maybe at London Road, Copdock but appreciate the facilities may not have been up to standard.

Other counties have crossed borders. Northants played at Luton, Derbyshire played at Leek, Buxton etc.

Simon Harmer has won another match for essex on 19:47 - Aug 12 with 3214 viewsvilanovablue

Tunbridge Wells is still used by Sussex but they can fill a stand and most of the ground with old school chairs.
Simon Harmer has won another match for essex on 10:03 - Aug 13 with 3071 viewsSaleAway

All the non test nations are "bailed out" by the ECB... essentially without the ECB grants, they all make a loss. Essex just about make a profit including that grant.

There's some overall figures here- although a few years out of date, they give a general picture: https://shura.shu.ac.uk/24116/1/Plumley_Howzat_the_financial_%28VoR%29.pdf

The other thing that affects outground visits, is that festival weeks were traditionally in the school holidays - that is now almost always when the T20 blast happens, and this is the only real money maker for the clubs, so there is no way that they are taking those away from the county grounds.

If your only potential outground visit is in April, when its cold and wet, its not surprising that attendances are down. Its a bigger problem in that the County championship is essentially sidelined by the ECB for one-day and T20 finances.

Simon Harmer has won another match for essex on 10:14 - Aug 13 with 3058 viewsIpswichKnight

There is a really good podcast about Essex called All the overs defiantly worth a listen ( think one of them is a Town fan as well ).

Pretty sure I read or heard something about Essex wanting to hire the London Stadium for a T20 match, think it got bogged down due to London Stadium not being sure it would be full enough and Essex saying they were confident it would be.

I would defiantly have been up for that and I suspect the corporate side would have lapped up a T20 game a few miles from the City.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 10:19]
(No subject) (n/t) on 11:48 - Sep 11 with 2137 viewsvilanovablue

(No subject) (n/t) on 16:23 - Sep 12 with 2026 viewsvilanovablue

(No subject) (n/t) on 16:23 - Sep 12 with 2026 viewsvilanovablue

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:37 - Sep 14 with 1879 viewsvilanovablue

(No subject) (n/t) on 21:46 - Sep 15 with 1763 viewsvilanovablue

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024