Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'd be happy if we just signed a left back and a striker... 09:22 - Aug 12 with 3774 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

...if we also kept Downes and Wolfenden.

Most people assumed we would lose both players, and they would be massive holes to fill.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

I'd be happy if we just signed a left back and a striker... on 09:28 - Aug 12 with 3740 viewsLibero

Yeah, not sure why people thought they'd be leaving in this market, did try to tell people...
I'd be happy if we just signed a left back and a striker... on 09:34 - Aug 12 with 3716 viewsHerbivore

It really depends what system we intend to play. We need to actually recruit players to fit a system for a change, which is something that's been worryingly absent over the last couple of years. I think if we're going to play a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 then probably just a left back and genuine striker would suffice. If we're going to play 4-4-2 we look short of players to play wide midfield. If we persist in playing 3-5-2 then we need another CB for me, preferably someone left footed who can play a bit.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I'd be happy if we just signed a left back and a striker... on 10:04 - Aug 12 with 3633 viewsRadlett_blue

I'd be happy if we just signed a left back and a striker... on 09:34 - Aug 12 by Herbivore

It really depends what system we intend to play. We need to actually recruit players to fit a system for a change, which is something that's been worryingly absent over the last couple of years. I think if we're going to play a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 then probably just a left back and genuine striker would suffice. If we're going to play 4-4-2 we look short of players to play wide midfield. If we persist in playing 3-5-2 then we need another CB for me, preferably someone left footed who can play a bit.

Exactly. We have umpteen central midfield players. But Lambert needs to look at the players at his disposal, come up with a preferred system & then largely stick to it. Then, the right gaps could be filled.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

I'd be happy if we just signed a left back and a striker... on 10:28 - Aug 12 with 3590 viewsHerbivore

I'd be happy if we just signed a left back and a striker... on 10:04 - Aug 12 by Radlett_blue

Exactly. We have umpteen central midfield players. But Lambert needs to look at the players at his disposal, come up with a preferred system & then largely stick to it. Then, the right gaps could be filled.

For me if we play four at the back we are okay at CB (Chambers needs replacing at some point, but less pressing if funds are limited). We have loads of CMs as you say so ideally a system that gets three of them in the team would seem to be what we should be aiming for. We also have a number of attacking midfield/forward players who could comfortably play wide in a front three of in behind a main striker. It really points to some form of 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 for me and that would require the fewest signings as well. A left back and a more physical striker and we're probably set. But will those numbers come up when Lambingo starts up again?

I'd be happy if we just signed a left back and a striker... on 10:32 - Aug 12 with 3566 viewslongtimefan

I'd be happy if we just signed a left back and a striker... on 09:34 - Aug 12 by Herbivore

You’re assuming our Manager will actually pick a system and stick with it
I'd be happy if we just signed a left back and a striker... on 21:15 - Aug 12 with 3437 viewsCheltenham_Blue

One thing that Burley was an absolute master of in our first season back in the Prem, was having the ability to change formation mid game, making us better, and knowing which players to play to allow him to do that.

I'd be happy if we had the players to do that, and a manager that has the ability to change the game by moving players about the pitch.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

I'd be happy if we just signed a left back and a striker... on 21:34 - Aug 12 with 3389 viewsHerbivore

I'd be happy if we just signed a left back and a striker... on 21:15 - Aug 12 by Cheltenham_Blue

One thing that Burley was an absolute master of in our first season back in the Prem, was having the ability to change formation mid game, making us better, and knowing which players to play to allow him to do that.

I'd be happy if we had the players to do that, and a manager that has the ability to change the game by moving players about the pitch.

The signing of Hermann was big in that respect, he could seamlessly switch from LCB to LB. That added a string to our how that we didn't have to the same extent previously.

I'd be happy if we just signed a left back and a striker... on 21:40 - Aug 12 with 3379 viewsLibero

I'd be happy if we just signed a left back and a striker... on 21:34 - Aug 12 by Herbivore

The signing of Hermann was big in that respect, he could seamlessly switch from LCB to LB. That added a string to our how that we didn't have to the same extent previously.

Scowcroft and Jermaine Wright were also two very flexible players that facilitated fluid formation changes, Burley’s team were light years ahead tactically.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2020 21:41]
Login to get fewer ads

I'd be happy if we just signed a left back and a striker... on 23:40 - Aug 12 with 3271 viewshaynes_toe1

Yeah so long as signed a half decent striker and left back.
I'd be happy if we just signed a left back and a striker... on 00:42 - Aug 13 with 3218 viewsStNeotsBlue

I'd be happy if we just signed a left back and a striker... on 23:40 - Aug 12 by haynes_toe1

Yeah so long as signed a half decent striker and left back.

Kenlock is more than adequate for where we are at, Nydam has hopefully fully recovered from his injury. LB is less of a priority for me, we're light at cb and we lack pace throughout the team , other than Jackson.
I'd be happy if we just signed a left back and a striker... on 08:07 - Aug 13 with 3121 viewspointofblue

I'd be happy if we just signed a left back and a striker... on 00:42 - Aug 13 by StNeotsBlue

Kenlock is more than adequate for where we are at, Nydam has hopefully fully recovered from his injury. LB is less of a priority for me, we're light at cb and we lack pace throughout the team , other than Jackson.

May key concern is we lack physical strength. Downes is happy to put his foot in but we’re still bullied far too easily; it’s basically how Rotherham managed to double us.

ETA - I guess this is why we missed a fully fit Norwood last year too; he’s not the biggest but he was happy enough doing the rough up/wind up side that a lot of players wither don’t know how to or won’t.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 8:12]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

I'd be happy if we just signed a left back and a striker... on 08:12 - Aug 13 with 3108 viewsitfcjoe

I'd be happy if we just signed a left back and a striker... on 21:40 - Aug 12 by Libero

Scowcroft and Jermaine Wright were also two very flexible players that facilitated fluid formation changes, Burley’s team were light years ahead tactically.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2020 21:41]

Don't forget Jamie Clapham who was one of the big reasons we were able to be so versatile

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I'd be happy if we just signed a left back and a striker... on 09:02 - Aug 13 with 3066 viewsHerbivore

I'd be happy if we just signed a left back and a striker... on 00:42 - Aug 13 by StNeotsBlue

Kenlock isn't more than adequate, sadly. He's barely adequate as cover. I like Nydam as a player but he's not kicked a ball in a year and hasn't played a game at left back as a senior pro, so we can't pin too much on him. CB we have Woolfy and Chambo as starters and Wilson and Nsiala as cover. The cover isn't as good as the starters, obviously, but it won't be at this level. We're certainly better covered at CB than at LB for me.

Aye indeed on 09:09 - Aug 13 with 3051 viewsDyland

I'd be happy if we just signed a left back and a striker... on 08:12 - Aug 13 by itfcjoe

Don't forget Jamie Clapham who was one of the big reasons we were able to be so versatile

Burley was so good at knowing what worked as a team. The three talked of here, Scowie, Jamma and Clapham, all massively important to that team and underrated (and in some cases actually vilified) by a vocal minority of fans who don't get it at all.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Aye indeed on 09:21 - Aug 13 with 3034 viewsHerbivore

Aye indeed on 09:09 - Aug 13 by Dyland

Burley was so good at knowing what worked as a team. The three talked of here, Scowie, Jamma and Clapham, all massively important to that team and underrated (and in some cases actually vilified) by a vocal minority of fans who don't get it at all.

Jamma was absolute class. Loved him as a player. Some of our fans never took to him as he was signed to replace Dyer but wasn't remotely the same kind of player. When he didn't instantly start skinning three defenders at pace, lots of our numbskull contingent decided he was gash.

I'd be happy if we just signed a left back and a striker... on 09:21 - Aug 13 with 3032 viewsKeno

you missed Manager off that heading

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Aye indeed on 09:30 - Aug 13 with 3015 viewsDyland

Aye indeed on 09:21 - Aug 13 by Herbivore

Jamma was absolute class. Loved him as a player. Some of our fans never took to him as he was signed to replace Dyer but wasn't remotely the same kind of player. When he didn't instantly start skinning three defenders at pace, lots of our numbskull contingent decided he was gash.

He was excellent. Pretty much all our play went through Jamma and/or Magic innit.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 9:31]

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Aye indeed on 09:39 - Aug 13 with 2981 viewsKeno

Aye indeed on 09:30 - Aug 13 by Dyland

He was excellent. Pretty much all our play went through Jamma and/or Magic innit.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 9:31]

Seconded Jamma is one of my all time favourite Town players

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024