Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? 13:31 - Aug 13 with 3939 viewsElephantintheRoom

At the risk of inviting ridicule, has anyone had good bad or indifferent experience of the above, most of which seem to be boys' toys?

I've just been to a couple of showrooms and both have suggested I need something considerably bigger than what I thought necessary - and at the cost of a half decent car.

None seem to mention much about leaves on the lawn in autumn either which from previous experience is a bit of an annual pain - and might make side ejection/mulching a bit of a non starter..

And no i dont want to invest in goats, sheep or suffolk punch.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 13:44 - Aug 13 with 3909 viewsgiant_stow

My mother in sort of law has one for her big field. It also cost the same as a small car and because of that, she didn't get one with an attachment for collecting the cuttings. That was a big mistake as someone has to go around collecting them all up or they just sit and rot. So my lame top tip: if you get something that collects the choppings, or don;t bother.

I'm going there tomorrow night and can check its brand/reliability if you're bothered.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 13:44 - Aug 13 with 3907 viewsipswichtillidie

If you have a substantial amount land to mow a sit on is a must and will save you so much time! (They are quite fun to drive also) I had an older Murray and would perhaps recommend buying a second hand one to see if it’s A) what you actually need, B if you like it prior to committing vast amounts on a newer model even if you need it! If you have a someone to help maintain it locally a second hand investment might be a better option! You can probably pick up a decent second hand one for less than £500. Buy one with boxes to pick up if you live by a lot of trees.

Gav

Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 14:21 - Aug 13 with 3839 viewsElephantintheRoom

Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 13:44 - Aug 13 by giant_stow

My mother in sort of law has one for her big field. It also cost the same as a small car and because of that, she didn't get one with an attachment for collecting the cuttings. That was a big mistake as someone has to go around collecting them all up or they just sit and rot. So my lame top tip: if you get something that collects the choppings, or don;t bother.

I'm going there tomorrow night and can check its brand/reliability if you're bothered.

Yes - I'd be very interested in actual experience. Most seem to have underpowered petrol engines with small wheels .... although with my new-found expertise I know that Kubota have a diesel engine, which seems sensible.

Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 14:30 - Aug 13 with 3826 viewsfactual_blue

Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 13:44 - Aug 13 by giant_stow

That's quite enough about your mother-in-law's 'big field', as you euphemistically describe it!

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 14:34 - Aug 13 with 3824 viewsRyorry

If 2 showrooms have independently of each other suggested you need something considerably bigger than what you thought necessary, then listen to them - the last thing you want is an underpowered machine that will always be struggling, esp if your terrain is hilly/rough/ and you let the grass grow pretty long.

I would 100% swerve buying 2nd hand unless from a reputable dealer who offers a long guarantee & good afterservice. I bought privately 2nd hand (that turned out to be 3rd or 4th hand), an old Snapper (11.5HP) that had new blades & seemed to have been well looked after, relatively cheap (£500 delivered incl a trailer to fit) but which refused to start two days in a row, which was only its second mow. Garage came out & cleared carburettor both days. On 3rd day it started perfectly, but after 30 mins mowing, engine blew up when climbing hill but not mowing! As garage said, there's usually an underlying problem behind people wanting an "upgrade".

I didn't need collection but found side ejection handy as it's just about possible to clear the ejection blower of any stuck wet grass without leaving the seat if you're careful (obvs disengaging mower first!).

If you have a very large area to mow they're pretty essential, but do your research first, esp re most/least reliable makes. Don't forget to include comfort of seat and handling in your calculations, as you're likely to be on the thing for hours at a time.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 14:56 - Aug 13 with 3795 viewsEdwardStone

Had numerous ride on mowers over the years at my country estate here

If you have loads of obstacles to cut round, flower beds, pond, veggie beds etc then an articulated mower is much more manoeuvrable....although they always seem to cost more

A good mulch deck works ok for me...just have to cut the grass frequently in the Spring to keep it short to save from having clumps of clippings everywhere. A collector can be pita...keeps having to be emptied

Diesel motor beats petrol, buy untaxed cherry diesel....works out much more economical

Hydrostatic drive is good...just push the pedal and off you go, no faffing with clutch/gears

Current one is a Stiga....maybe a Norwegian make. It is excellent, best one I have had
Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 15:15 - Aug 13 with 3763 viewsgiant_stow

Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 14:30 - Aug 13 by factual_blue

That's quite enough about your mother-in-law's 'big field', as you euphemistically describe it!

Its nearly an acre - massive!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 15:21 - Aug 13 with 3751 viewsRyorry

Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 15:15 - Aug 13 by giant_stow

Its nearly an acre - massive!

Surely she has plenty of family to go round picking up her mulchings? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 16:27 - Aug 13 with 3700 viewsChondzoresk

You can pick ride on mowers up cheaply from Gazes auctions, Diss or Clarke and Simpsons auctions Campsea Ashe. Buyer beware though. Seen them make from £400-£2000. All their auctions are weekly and viewable online. Good luck.
Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 16:34 - Aug 13 with 3679 viewsgiant_stow

Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 15:21 - Aug 13 by Ryorry

Surely she has plenty of family to go round picking up her mulchings? 🤔

She does have a team of willing helpers who are more than happy to pick through her pride and joy, yes.

Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 16:35 - Aug 13 with 3679 viewsBluespeed225

Invest in grass/leaf collector! I have spent hours at a large Manor House on outskirts of Town blowing leaves into piles and scooping up bu hand. The owner bought a second hand sit on along with collector and mulcher. It’s a different world!
Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 16:39 - Aug 13 with 3674 viewshoppy

Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 14:30 - Aug 13 by factual_blue

What should be of more concern is the "My mother in sort of law..." bit, as I'm sure there's not a lot lawful about it, to be honest...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 17:13 - Aug 13 with 3643 viewsElephantintheRoom

Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 13:44 - Aug 13 by ipswichtillidie

If you have a substantial amount land to mow a sit on is a must and will save you so much time! (They are quite fun to drive also) I had an older Murray and would perhaps recommend buying a second hand one to see if it’s A) what you actually need, B if you like it prior to committing vast amounts on a newer model even if you need it! If you have a someone to help maintain it locally a second hand investment might be a better option! You can probably pick up a decent second hand one for less than £500. Buy one with boxes to pick up if you live by a lot of trees.

Thanks for the input - much appreciated. Mrs E also supports your suggestion for 2nd hand as we're buying a run down house as well as run down land.

Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 17:17 - Aug 13 with 3637 viewsElephantintheRoom

Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 14:56 - Aug 13 by EdwardStone

Had numerous ride on mowers over the years at my country estate here

If you have loads of obstacles to cut round, flower beds, pond, veggie beds etc then an articulated mower is much more manoeuvrable....although they always seem to cost more

A good mulch deck works ok for me...just have to cut the grass frequently in the Spring to keep it short to save from having clumps of clippings everywhere. A collector can be pita...keeps having to be emptied

Diesel motor beats petrol, buy untaxed cherry diesel....works out much more economical

Hydrostatic drive is good...just push the pedal and off you go, no faffing with clutch/gears

Current one is a Stiga....maybe a Norwegian make. It is excellent, best one I have had

Thanks very much for the input.... I kind of agree that the salesmen seem to have suggested the best option, albeit at an eye-watering price. As I am now in a warmer climate than the UK I think a mulch might work.... except I have a load of trees to work around, many of which are alreaady shedding leaves in the summer heat.

Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 17:27 - Aug 13 with 3627 viewsEdwardStone

Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 17:17 - Aug 13 by ElephantintheRoom

Thanks very much for the input.... I kind of agree that the salesmen seem to have suggested the best option, albeit at an eye-watering price. As I am now in a warmer climate than the UK I think a mulch might work.... except I have a load of trees to work around, many of which are alreaady shedding leaves in the summer heat.

If the mulching results in piles of unsightly left-overs, just mow it again 'til they disappear

Helps if the weather is warm and dry....it disappears quicker

Diesel mower sips fuel, petrol one drinks it at a prodigious rate....always try to get a diesel
Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 18:34 - Aug 13 with 3597 viewsRyorry

Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 17:13 - Aug 13 by ElephantintheRoom

Thanks for the input - much appreciated. Mrs E also supports your suggestion for 2nd hand as we're buying a run down house as well as run down land.

If going down the 2nd-hand route, good dealers would bring it round for you to try on your land before buying.

Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 18:57 - Aug 13 with 3567 viewsEdwardStone

Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 17:13 - Aug 13 by ElephantintheRoom

Just a word of warning...if you are trying to cut rough grass on a field, rather than a lawn.....you will might encounter problems. Ride on mower is much better suited to cutting a lawn, not a rough paddock

Rough land is maybe better cut with a tractor and flail mower or a topper....a local farmer will be more than happy to help out with that for a bung
Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 19:03 - Aug 13 with 3555 viewsRyorry

Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 18:57 - Aug 13 by EdwardStone

Just a word of warning...if you are trying to cut rough grass on a field, rather than a lawn.....you will might encounter problems. Ride on mower is much better suited to cutting a lawn, not a rough paddock

Rough land is maybe better cut with a tractor and flail mower or a topper....a local farmer will be more than happy to help out with that for a bung

Problem with that is - not at the busiest time of year, when they'll be flat out themselves, and which is when OP will himself probably need it most!

Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 19:47 - Aug 13 with 3515 viewsallezlesbleus

Edwardstone is talking a lot of sense on here.

I've a diesel Kubota (Mulch deck) which is fantastic. Powerful, reliable and doesn't drink the fuel. Mulching is fine, as long as you keep on top of it. In Spring it will mean more frequent cutting.

I also have a smaller petrol collecting Husqvarna, which is OK, but nowhere near as powerful and it drinks the petrol.

It is definitely false economy to buy something smaller / less powerful than what you need.
Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 20:51 - Aug 13 with 3480 viewsfabian_illness

We’ve just bought a new AL-KO from WJ Greens in Hadleigh.
It’s got a V2 Briggs and Stratton and has plenty of poke.
It has a mulching deck.
Brilliant machine, much nicer than the countax we had before.
Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 21:59 - Aug 13 with 3450 viewstrueblue1970

I bought mine with the house, it doesn’t pickup the grass so on parts of my garden that’s fine but round the front the dogs bring grass into the house constantly so I now cut the front with a normal mower and pick the grass
Would definitely recommend saves so much time
Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 08:59 - Aug 14 with 3366 viewsElephantintheRoom

Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 18:57 - Aug 13 by EdwardStone

Thanks again. That's exactly my dilemma... the local farmer has been cutting it for hay when it suits him and a lot of the land can be called 'rough'.... I'm hoping to create a much larger garden ie lawn + a raptor friendly strip next to some woodland - and around a pond and some pathways through what will be left to grow.

Keeping on good terms with the farmer would seem to be a priority. The people selling the place have a vast selection of gear ranging from a small tractor which drags a cutter to two different sizes of sit on mowers - but alas have so far resisted the temptation to leave them.

The family looking after the land at the place I am renting at the moment have a fairly large Kubota with side ejection. They seem to use it in their field of horses as well as around and about hundreds of trees in what must be many hectares of rough dusty grass/weeds here at some rich american's rarely visited holiday home.

Which got me thinking a large diesel sit-on mower which my new salesmen chums refer to as 'commercial grade' might be OK for my needs.

Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 10:17 - Aug 14 with 3326 viewsEdwardStone

Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 08:59 - Aug 14 by ElephantintheRoom

Thanks again. That's exactly my dilemma... the local farmer has been cutting it for hay when it suits him and a lot of the land can be called 'rough'.... I'm hoping to create a much larger garden ie lawn + a raptor friendly strip next to some woodland - and around a pond and some pathways through what will be left to grow.

Keeping on good terms with the farmer would seem to be a priority. The people selling the place have a vast selection of gear ranging from a small tractor which drags a cutter to two different sizes of sit on mowers - but alas have so far resisted the temptation to leave them.

The family looking after the land at the place I am renting at the moment have a fairly large Kubota with side ejection. They seem to use it in their field of horses as well as around and about hundreds of trees in what must be many hectares of rough dusty grass/weeds here at some rich american's rarely visited holiday home.

Which got me thinking a large diesel sit-on mower which my new salesmen chums refer to as 'commercial grade' might be OK for my needs.

From what you describe, you will kill a small ride on "Lawn Tractor"

It sounds like you need something much heavier duty, as Ryorry suggested a good machinery vendor might be happy to bring a suitable machine along for a trial run.

Sounds like you might be going in the right direction with a heavy duty machine.....buy something too lightweight and you will be in for years of frustration and repairs

Buy something too heavy duty, carefree mowing stretching into the future

If next door farmer will cut in the bits you want to turn to lawn and then you frequently mow it with your new machine, the tougher meadow grasses and weeds will die back....they don't like being repeatedly cut....and softer varieties will flourish and a lawn will emerge

Certainly that is what has happened for me
Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 12:08 - Aug 14 with 3292 viewsRyorry

Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 10:17 - Aug 14 by EdwardStone

From what you describe, you will kill a small ride on "Lawn Tractor"

It sounds like you need something much heavier duty, as Ryorry suggested a good machinery vendor might be happy to bring a suitable machine along for a trial run.

Sounds like you might be going in the right direction with a heavy duty machine.....buy something too lightweight and you will be in for years of frustration and repairs

Buy something too heavy duty, carefree mowing stretching into the future

If next door farmer will cut in the bits you want to turn to lawn and then you frequently mow it with your new machine, the tougher meadow grasses and weeds will die back....they don't like being repeatedly cut....and softer varieties will flourish and a lawn will emerge

Certainly that is what has happened for me

Another poss solution, which I've thought about for my own place, is simply to buy a flail or topper and tow it behind an ordinary road 4 x 4 if Elephant already owns such a vehicle. Potentially awkward in this country if a wet summer because the wheels could churn up the ground, but if he's in a hot dry area such as some of the States ...

I'd go for a flail if I did that, as they mash and destroy any weeds & their seeds.

Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 13:15 - Aug 14 with 3271 viewsEdwardStone

Anyone got a sit-on lawnmower? on 12:08 - Aug 14 by Ryorry

Another poss solution, which I've thought about for my own place, is simply to buy a flail or topper and tow it behind an ordinary road 4 x 4 if Elephant already owns such a vehicle. Potentially awkward in this country if a wet summer because the wheels could churn up the ground, but if he's in a hot dry area such as some of the States ...

I'd go for a flail if I did that, as they mash and destroy any weeds & their seeds.

Very fair point

There is a variety of tow along things that have their own engine to turn the blades

A neighbour has one to go behind his Quad bike, seems to work well enuff
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024