Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
As a centre forward, Hawkins..... 20:23 - Aug 13 with 4981 viewsBloots

....has played 108 games.

35 goals.

18 assists.

On the face of it that isn't a bad return.

Add in the fact that his most recent games have been as a centre back, then I can see how it works from a financial/squad perspective.

(this is not an endorsement, he may well be crap)

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

As a centre forward, Hawkins..... on 20:24 - Aug 13 with 4960 viewsFPL_Tractor

And as a big fella his job might well have been to hold the ball up and bring other players into the game. We certainly don’t that kind of player.

For more ITFC chat and some fantasy football mutterings follow me on twitter @fpl_tractor.

As a centre forward, Hawkins..... on 20:38 - Aug 13 with 4878 viewsitfcjoe

in 2018/19 he scored 7 goals in the league for Pompey playing only as a centre forward, in 30 starts and 9 sub appearances games.

That seems a pretty weak record for a striker in a team that scored 83 goals that season - but without having watched much of them, the fact he played very regularly ina goal happy team as basically a non scoring striker shows he must have added a lot to their team, and created space and opportunities for others to flourish

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

As a centre forward, Hawkins..... on 21:49 - Aug 13 with 4633 viewsLibero

As a centre forward, Hawkins..... on 20:38 - Aug 13 by itfcjoe

in 2018/19 he scored 7 goals in the league for Pompey playing only as a centre forward, in 30 starts and 9 sub appearances games.

That seems a pretty weak record for a striker in a team that scored 83 goals that season - but without having watched much of them, the fact he played very regularly ina goal happy team as basically a non scoring striker shows he must have added a lot to their team, and created space and opportunities for others to flourish

I think you’ve summed him up there.

I do wonder how many people down in the dumps about his signing have actually ever seen him play...
As a centre forward, Hawkins..... on 21:52 - Aug 13 with 4606 viewsm14_blue

If he’s a L1 Giroud then he’ll do just fine.

Probably won’t be but let’s give him a chance everyone.
As a centre forward, Hawkins..... on 21:54 - Aug 13 with 4594 viewstrueblue1970

As a centre forward, Hawkins..... on 21:52 - Aug 13 by m14_blue

If he’s a L1 Giroud then he’ll do just fine.

Probably won’t be but let’s give him a chance everyone.

Haven’t seen him play but as others have said he seems to be the striker we don’t have, hold it up and bring others into the game, will fit our budget why not?
As a centre forward, Hawkins..... on 10:15 - Aug 14 with 4382 viewsgroovyASH

If he can be a hold up type striker, and win headers to give team-mates the second ball, then this will be to the benefit of Jackson and Norwood. We didn't have anybody last season who could bring others into it through this type of play and it showed. Norwood tried but that was not to his strengths.

Play our better players to their strengths and we stand a better chance this season- IF we can keep them fit

Poll: Will you renew your season ticket when Evans does the annual end of season beg?

As a centre forward, Hawkins..... on 10:20 - Aug 14 with 4367 viewsBryanPlug

As a centre forward, Hawkins..... on 10:15 - Aug 14 by groovyASH

If he can be a hold up type striker, and win headers to give team-mates the second ball, then this will be to the benefit of Jackson and Norwood. We didn't have anybody last season who could bring others into it through this type of play and it showed. Norwood tried but that was not to his strengths.

Play our better players to their strengths and we stand a better chance this season- IF we can keep them fit

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

As a centre forward, Hawkins..... on 10:31 - Aug 14 with 4342 viewsDyland

I have two words. David McGoldrick.

Obviously not comparing like for like, but people can surely get the point.

Cautiously pleased with Lambert's transfer strategy currently, and as ever will be happy to start the season with a blank slate. There really isn't very much credit in the bank though.

And obviously will be fuming when we sell Downes and Wolfy at the end of the window :)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Login to get fewer ads

As a centre forward, Hawkins..... on 10:50 - Aug 14 with 4296 viewshoppy

Fair comments... I did see someone posting Pitman's scoring record at Pompey as being a better goal tally... but that may well have been due to the work someone like Hawkins has done in creating the chances... I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and hope to be pleasantly surprised should we sign him.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

As a centre forward, Hawkins..... on 11:23 - Aug 14 with 4260 viewsWickets

As a centre forward, Hawkins..... on 10:20 - Aug 14 by BryanPlug

One of my favourite quotes is its a team game . We need to remember its all in the blend . So many of the usual suspects on here pick on individuals , with he's crap , his legs have gone ect. Unable to see the bigger picture , just the thoughts of an old man who has spent a lifetime in competitive sport .
As a centre forward, Hawkins..... on 11:40 - Aug 14 with 4179 viewsMeadowlark

"......came from Hemel Hempstead, so his roots are very good......"

So that's OK then.
As a centre forward, Hawkins..... on 13:40 - Aug 14 with 4060 viewsBryanPlug

As a centre forward, Hawkins..... on 11:23 - Aug 14 by Wickets

One of my favourite quotes is its a team game . We need to remember its all in the blend . So many of the usual suspects on here pick on individuals , with he's crap , his legs have gone ect. Unable to see the bigger picture , just the thoughts of an old man who has spent a lifetime in competitive sport .

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

As a centre forward, Hawkins..... on 15:33 - Aug 14 with 3960 viewsWickets

As a centre forward, Hawkins..... on 13:40 - Aug 14 by BryanPlug

Actually i was supporting what you said !!
As a centre forward, Hawkins..... on 17:35 - Aug 14 with 3820 viewsJermynblue

I feel quite happy about adding a player like Hawkins to our squad as he seems like he will add some much needed balance. We currently have no other striking option like him. In addition, I felt at times last year that we did not threaten much at corners and set pieces and having someone else with that height in the box would be an advantage. If he can play at the back as well then that is a bonus and based on comments I have read he seems comfortable with the ball at his feet which would also help if he played in defence.

Whilst on the topic of transfers, adding a left back also helps balance the squad as we are weak in that area, Rather than signing someone at the end of their career coming down a division i would prefer to have got someone similar to KVY recognising that this would incur a fee. Using the Brentford model of looking at teams that are over performing and then seeing which players are doing well, I wonder if the Crewe left back (Harry Pickering) falls into that category. I know nothing about him, but Crewe have a reputation for developing young players and he seems to have cemented the left back position at a young age in a promotion winning team.
As a centre forward, Hawkins..... on 17:41 - Aug 14 with 3803 viewsLibero

As a centre forward, Hawkins..... on 17:35 - Aug 14 by Jermynblue

I feel quite happy about adding a player like Hawkins to our squad as he seems like he will add some much needed balance. We currently have no other striking option like him. In addition, I felt at times last year that we did not threaten much at corners and set pieces and having someone else with that height in the box would be an advantage. If he can play at the back as well then that is a bonus and based on comments I have read he seems comfortable with the ball at his feet which would also help if he played in defence.

Whilst on the topic of transfers, adding a left back also helps balance the squad as we are weak in that area, Rather than signing someone at the end of their career coming down a division i would prefer to have got someone similar to KVY recognising that this would incur a fee. Using the Brentford model of looking at teams that are over performing and then seeing which players are doing well, I wonder if the Crewe left back (Harry Pickering) falls into that category. I know nothing about him, but Crewe have a reputation for developing young players and he seems to have cemented the left back position at a young age in a promotion winning team.

Who was the last young player that Crewe produced that went onto anything?

Not saying you’re wrong, I know they used to push through good young players year on year, I just can’t think of anyone since Billy Jones, Nicky Maynard and Dean Ashton really...
[Post edited 14 Aug 2020 17:43]
As a centre forward, Hawkins..... on 17:45 - Aug 14 with 3780 viewsJermynblue

As a centre forward, Hawkins..... on 17:41 - Aug 14 by Libero

Who was the last young player that Crewe produced that went onto anything?

Not saying you’re wrong, I know they used to push through good young players year on year, I just can’t think of anyone since Billy Jones, Nicky Maynard and Dean Ashton really...
[Post edited 14 Aug 2020 17:43]

Yes, it could be that their reputation is now outdated. I have no answers for you, it was just a general impression I had.
As a centre forward, Hawkins..... on 17:48 - Aug 14 with 3772 viewslongtimefan

As a centre forward, Hawkins..... on 20:24 - Aug 13 by FPL_Tractor

And as a big fella his job might well have been to hold the ball up and bring other players into the game. We certainly don’t that kind of player.

The whole crux of your post relies on the missing word in the second sentence. Fine if it "have". If it's "need", you're wrong!
As a centre forward, Hawkins..... on 17:49 - Aug 14 with 3766 viewsLibero

As a centre forward, Hawkins..... on 17:45 - Aug 14 by Jermynblue

Yes, it could be that their reputation is now outdated. I have no answers for you, it was just a general impression I had.

It’s a fair impression, I also had the same, I just can’t name many that have rolled off the line lately!
As a centre forward, Hawkins..... on 17:50 - Aug 14 with 3762 viewsShawsey

The exact opposite of what we already have, this is a good thing. We were so light up front last season. We need a big un up there for the little fellows to do what they do. We will obviously have to wait and see, but some positive for a change. Good luck to the lad and hope he can become some kind of cult hero for us.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024